Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Van Halen Tour
Posted by: Lord Sinclair ()
Date: October 19, 2007 20:58

Van Halen performed in Chicago last night. It was an amazing concert.
Eddie Van Halen is proving himslef to be more than just a wonder kid of the early 80's on guitar. His 15 min solo wherein he played Eruption and swayed into blues lines and classical all while holding the arena on its feet by himself was an extraordinary experience.

If you have the chance-just go. Hopefully they will continue their tour and play in Europe early next year.

Re: OT: Van Halen Tour
Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: October 19, 2007 21:03

I haven't read any bad reviews yet for the tour. Many reviews have said that the concerts have been excellent. Eddie and Dave seem to have patched up their differences and Eddie looks to be having alot more fun than the last outing with Sammy in 04. Also, it seems that Wolfgang has silenced any doubters. His playing is solid and his harmony vocals are pretty good.

Date: October 19, 2007 21:09

It was a very professional rock show. They began at 8:30 PM local time and played over 2 hours.

Wolfgang did an incredible job and it was very cool to see his father walk over to him and stand next to him smiling as Wolfgang banged out bass lines.

A real highlight was watching Wolfgang stand on the back of the drum riser with his uncle Alex during Eruption. Only Eddie was visible until the drums and bass burst in. The spots flashed on the drum kit and there they were playing.
Meanwhile, Eddie had turned around and was just beaming at the sight of his brother and son playing side by side.

This is one very cool show to see. Just go and have a good time.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: October 19, 2007 21:15

I am really looking forward to seeing them on Nov. 20th. The clips I heard sound great! So Dave doesn't move like he use to. These guys are my age, I totally understand.

Date: October 19, 2007 22:01

Dave really did a great job singing the songs last night in Chicago. He is really out to prove himself and he did so last night.

One word of caution. This is a really loud show. I was middle of the side in the arena and half way up. It won't seem cool, but wear earplugs. It is so loud you will hear everything anyway and you can always take one half way out during a favorite solo. Let me repeat. This is a very loud show.

A friend told me to take earplugs and I was scrambling to get them in when Eddie started the show.

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: October 19, 2007 22:34

It was a great show in Chicago last night. Despite DLR bouncing between nailing it, and blowing it, it did not matter. His main contribution was his effect on the set list. Only their first six albums. Eddie is amazing. Really amazing. He seems revitalized by the time trip back to the first songs and blows the roof off the joint.

Date: October 19, 2007 23:03

Good point about Eddie, Doubledoor.

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: October 19, 2007 23:08

i got into the show last night for free at about 10:20. i had hoped they started at 9 and would end at 11, but no - not everyone's like the stones.

from the 2.5 songs i saw, i thought eddie was amazing (that solo was amazing) but DLR's vocals were not that strong. he seemed to miss some lines. he looked pretty good - obviously working out a lot - a body like an 18 year-old but his whole look reminded me of the gay big-cat trainer in vegas (remind me of his name - not the one who was mauled but his boyfriend - the blonde one).

i was bummed they encored with "jump" - i missed all the good stuff.

all in all, i wish i had known about the show sooner - i would definitely go again.

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: October 19, 2007 23:22

I saw them Tuesday in Chicago. I can finally hear again. I was shocked at how good they were. I was time warped back into high school and heard every song I ever wanted to hear from them after missing the 1984 tour. If you remotely like old VH I highly recommend going.

Posted by: RadioMarv ()
Date: October 19, 2007 23:36

Saw the Cleveland show last week and it is simply the tour of the year.

AMAZING

Date: October 19, 2007 23:41

Bruce in 9 days, Van Halen next month, what a way to end the year!

I am a little concerned about the sound at Staples where VH is playing. Bruce won't play there because of this. I will be 15 rows off the floor about 2/3 back. hopefully I won't get too much of that Staples Center Bounce.

Posted by: rlngstns ()
Date: November 14, 2007 19:48

What a show last night at MSG...they rocked the house...thanks for the heads-up with the ear plugs, that was the loudest show i have ever been to. If you get a chance to see them in your hood...DO SO

Posted by: roven ()
Date: November 14, 2007 23:58

saw them in Ct
Roth finally sang all the songs!
Eddie was right on
Missed Anthony not being there...that would have made it great!

Date: November 15, 2007 00:05

I love the line, "Have you seen Wolfies Grades?"

Posted by: R ()
Date: November 15, 2007 00:09

Eddie's sober, finally. Valerie Bertinelli is along for the ride, primarily to act as "cock-blocker" for Wolfie. I see they're adding a spring leg. I hope it gets near here.

Date: November 15, 2007 00:13

I just think it's kind of funny that back in 1985 when Valerie sounded off how she didn't like Dave, he was gone. Eddie and Val split and he's back! I like it much better this way.

Is Valerie on tour with them? If so it must be hard for her to follow Jenny Craig.

Date: November 15, 2007 00:15

Hi R. Where do you live? I'm sure they'll be adding alot of southern US shows in the new year. Every review I've read about the tour has been positive so far.
The only complaint I have is that it seems the setlist is the same every show.

Posted by: R ()
Date: November 15, 2007 00:30

BluzDude Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is Valerie on tour with them? If so it must be
> hard for her to follow Jenny Craig.

Yeah, she's kind of the cheerleader, possessive Italian mother, all around keeper of the flame and keeper of the bad stuff from Wolfie. Things have changed since '85. I think she and Roth go shoe-shopping on days off.

Posted by: russr ()
Date: November 15, 2007 05:54

I saw them at MSG last night: amazing show with the most atrocious sound I have ever heard at any concert (not just MSG.)

Bass was loud and rumbling like speaker had blown, everything sounded like mud.

Which is too bad because BH is just a monster band and EVH gets such an great guitar sound (I wish Keith and Ronnie were mixed as out front as he is.)

Go see them if you get the chance.

Posted by: David Neal ()
Date: November 27, 2007 21:43

VH just announced to play again @ MSG on St.Paddys Day...March 28th @ Atlantic City...f.y.i.

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: November 27, 2007 22:11

I saw the show in Cleveland. I was really looking forward to it and had fantastic side seats and was sort of let down in the end. I don't like to travel out of town for shows, but this was an exception. Just some quick thoughts:

-Set List was fine eventhough they are doing the same exact set each night.
-Staging was boring, waste of space. Would have looked great in a theater.
-Video projection was crisp.
-Sound was decent.
-David's singing was good. Taking a day off between shows was a good idea.
-lighting was kind of dark, maybe to help visibility of the video?
-Dave used the so-called catwalk ramp into the crowd, maybe 4 times.
-Dave did not perform or acknowledge people in side seating, played primarily to the front floor sections. Walking over to stage left right and waving once does not cut it.
-Eddie does not use the catwalk since his guitar is not wireless.
-Dave seemed tired on many songs and paced around like Neil Diamond on some songs. I did not expect non-stop jumping around, but came across lazy.
-Did not seem to work for me in an arena.
-Merchandising was boring and over-priced. $10 for a bumpersticker!
-No clue why they had 2 black remote control blimps with the VH logo circling around the arena before the show. Did not serve any purpose.
-Opening act - Bob Marley's son?

Overall, I get the impression that David Lee Roth is a hired performer and not allowed to have any creative input into the stage show or merchandising. The band has a media blackout and will not do interviews. Came across as David was offered a "Take it or leave it" deal.

Date: November 27, 2007 22:49

Since the thread is back, I was wondering, on Jump, was the organ pre-recorded or was there someone backstage playing the part?

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: November 27, 2007 23:02

Here's a clip on youtube when the computer programming on Jump or Eddie was handed a guitar in different tuning....

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: November 28, 2007 02:57

Pollstar has VH playing New Orleans three days after Mardi Gras.
How's that for a party?

Will someone please tell Mick if Van Halen can play
the N.O. Arena, then certainly the Stones can fill the place?

Posted by: Rialb ()
Date: November 28, 2007 06:23

trainarollin Wrote:
> Here's a clip on youtube when the computer
> programming on Jump or Eddie was handed a guitar
> in different tuning....
>
>

That was horrible.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 28, 2007 19:16

i went to the izod center in east rutherford ,new jersey on 11/3/07, it was really bad the worst sound quality of any show i have seen in years it to me went
back to the late seventies when sound quality was a real crapshoot.the problem was alex van halen with his double bass drums and how strong the drums and bass guitar were that just killed everything elsewhat a pounding headache i had,and for a hundred and sixty five dollars to have a nice floor seat i expect better.so my advice would be AVOID THE VAN HALEN RIP OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (by the way david lee roth was great,and it was nice to see him again with HIS BAND.

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: November 28, 2007 19:39

The Greek Wrote:
> i went to the izod center in east rutherford ,new
> jersey on 11/3/07, it was really bad the worst
> sound quality of any show i have seen in years it
> to me went
> back to the late seventies when sound quality was
> a real crapshoot.the problem was alex van halen
> with his double bass drums and how strong the
> drums and bass guitar were that just killed
> everything elsewhat a pounding headache i had,and
> for a hundred and sixty five dollars to have a
> nice floor seat i expect better.so my advice would
> be AVOID THE VAN HALEN RIP
> OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (by the
> way david lee roth was great,and it was nice to
> see him again with HIS BAND.

I was going to attend this show but could not because of a last minute thing. I heard the same about the sound from my friend.

They're coming back in March but I think I'll pass.

Date: November 29, 2007 01:23

The sound was very muddy at Staples, but then again you expect it because the sound is always like that at that venue. I don't think the problem was with the band. Even Springsteen sounded like crap when he played there.

Date: November 29, 2007 10:40

I think with most venues, the sound quality depends on where you're sitting.
As far as the VH tour goes, it looks like a huge success with all the additional dates being added. 5 shows in New York, 4 LA shows, 3 Chicago. I'm sure they'll start to book European shows over the Summer. Can't wait for next Wednesday when they're in Vancouver.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: December 5, 2007 00:30

just scored front row seats (in the pit) for Dallas! Should I wear earplugs???!!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2265
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home