Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Brian Johnson--how does his voice do it?
Posted by: Justin ()
Date: October 19, 2007 00:04

Always wondered...does anyone know of any stories or knowledge of Brian Johnson's voice while singing for AC/DC? Has their ever been problems or issues he's had in the past? It sounds like a very grueling and grinding technique to put on your voice--especially when on tour. I can only imagine it feels like scratching the walls of your throat every time you sing.

Saw this fairly recent video of Johnson singing a couple songs from this past July. He does a fairly good job.

Would love to see AC/DC on tour--but I'm wondering how possible that could be with Johnson's age and ability to maintain that voice for an entire tour. Any info out there about the problems he's faced because of the voice?

Re: OT: Brian Johnson--how does his voice do it?
Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: October 19, 2007 00:09

He just puts a large clamp on his balls. Try it, you'll sound like Brian Johnson in no time!

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: October 19, 2007 00:27

In his previous life he was a cat that got run over by a car 9 times.

But in all seriousness, I'm not sure...I do know that the few times I sat Parallel to the stage, he would run backstage between each song and take oxygen, but that might be because he is a heavy smoker.

Posted by: Pokalheld ()
Date: October 21, 2007 19:17

His yelling voice is his trademark as a singer. But he has a rather rough, deep voice when talking. Since the 80s he's losing more and more of his voice. But surprisingly it still works somehow, especially in the studio (check out the new song "Chain Gang On The Road"). And on stage with AC/DC everything is important: It must be strong and loud. But it must not be nice.

For me it's impossible to sing like him, because I'd loose my voice after three minutes. It's very hard work. I bet, Brian Johnson has a very strong voice, so he can do it every time. It may be a matter of training and talent.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: October 21, 2007 20:57

ohnonotyouagain Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> He just puts a large clamp on his balls. Try it,
> you'll sound like Brian Johnson in no time!

ROTFLMAO!!!

Drew

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: October 21, 2007 21:12

He´s had that clamp since the days with Geordie, so the pain must be unbearable by now.

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: October 21, 2007 21:23

When they go out in 2008 it would be best for them to take a day off between shows.

Van Halen is doing that too.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 22, 2007 03:43

He gargles with gasoline as part of his pre-show warmups.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 22, 2007 04:30

ROTFLMAO!!!

Shouldn't that be ROTFLMBO (balls off)?

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: October 22, 2007 21:59

Alot of the hard rock/metal singers must have a tough time on a long tour. Rob Halford from Judas Priest, Coverdale/Whitesnake, McCafferty/Nazareth, Dickenson/Iron Maiden, etc.
You would think that any bands like these would have to take a day off between shows.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1732
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home