Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: How old were you first time you heard Gimme Shelter?
Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: October 18, 2007 16:22

I was like 14yo...

I remember that in the mid '70s, on my way to the SD Sports Arena there was a big sign with an ad to a Strip Joint (that I couldn't get in, of course) that used the phrase "Just a Kiss Away" Obvioulsly I always thought about GS and the sign lasted for years.

Posted by: stonedmike ()
Date: October 18, 2007 22:06

the radio station was playing beatles stones zeppelin who day, i heard it in 1977 nine years after its release i was sixteen. this song was not a big radio hit back then - magic later on i heard merry claytons version, it was at this point that i became a stones fan

Posted by: gmanp ()
Date: October 18, 2007 22:45

I was 21, heard it first on the radio and could not believe my ears. And like others even tho' I've possibly heard it thousands of times, I still get goosebumps when that intro starts, there's so much 'tension' in it.
Satisfaction is my favorite Stones song, but nothing else punches me in the gut like this one.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: October 19, 2007 02:32

It's quite thrilling to me to read these posts. (Yes, that is soppy violin music playing in the background...)

And SO great that people all over the world can react virtually as one to the same song. Whether it be "Gimme Shelter" or a few other choice songs.

This is one of the reasons some artists, including The Rolling Stones, keep going.

I have favorite songs that I feel so deeply I probably would not want to spend any time with a person who didn't at least mildly appreciate them!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-10-19 03:43 by stonesrule.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: October 19, 2007 02:39

Can't remember how old when I first heard it, but I remember when I first really noticed it - once I bought my first car! It's one of two songs that Cannot Be Played Too Loud, and when it comes on the car radio, I am a menace to society! Loved it from the first chord, though, and agree Lisa doesn't quite match Merry Clayton. Is it true that she called Mick a "skinny little boy" at the recording session, and upped her fee when she saw how much they liked her work on the first verse? If so... You Go, Girl!

Date: October 19, 2007 03:44

What's the source for this stuff re Merry? 'Cos I have good reason to believe this is not the way it was at the session.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: October 19, 2007 05:25

Someone mentioned it on the radio a year or so back. Seem to remember they said that Merry Clayton was introduced to Mick and said "I thought you were a man, you're nothin' but a skinny little boy!" then upped her fee later in the session after she'd blown them out of the water... Apocryphal?

Date: October 19, 2007 05:56

Untrue.

Re: Gimmie Shelter
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 19, 2007 09:51

>> "I thought you were a man, but you're just a skinny little boy!" <<

... well, whoever it was who said it:
it wasn't a put-down - it was a great compliment to Mick's singing

(i don't recall reading that Ms Clayton raised her fee in mid-tune -
just that she needed to be paid before she started. since the story has it
that it was the middle of the night when they phoned her to come into the studio,
it's easy to imagine someone wanting to see the money first.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-10-19 10:07 by with sssoul.

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: October 19, 2007 10:40

vancouver Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 14

me too. it's on hot rocks, right? that was my first stones record(s) at 14. 1981.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1556
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home