Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Keith & Ringo
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 16, 2007 05:55

Just curious...
I know Keith admires the Beatles, but what does he think about Ringo as a drummer?

And has Ringo ever made any comments on Keith, or the the Stones in general?
If I recall, there was a quote from Ringo after attending a recent Stones show that was a bit negative about the experience.

But something tells me Keith and Ringo are good buddies, and they'd be a great collaboration.
Perhaps when Keith records his next solo album, he'll invite Ringo to drum.

Re: Keith & Ringo
Posted by: tattooyou ()
Date: October 16, 2007 11:30

I'm pretty sure I read an interview with Ringo in Q magazine a year or two back where he was on holiday with Keith. I think it was coincidental, but it came across like they were hanging out just the same. There was no specific reference to the Rolling Stones, but I'll see if I can find the article...

Posted by: My Stones ()
Date: October 16, 2007 16:38

Keith to Ringo. So Ringo ever, gonna learn the drums? Well at least that's what I would of said. The guy is just plain awful.

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: October 16, 2007 17:10

My Stones Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Keith to Ringo. So Ringo ever, gonna learn the
> drums? Well at least that's what I would of said.
> The guy is just plain awful.

Ringo played great when he was in the Beatles. HavenĀ“t really followed him after that, but to call him awful I think is plain awful.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: October 16, 2007 19:21

Re: Keith & Ringo...
Moon was a better drummer than Star(key).

Posted by: gstone ()
Date: October 16, 2007 19:38

How about "White drummers don't swing, except Charlie!". Last time I looked, Ringo was white... Perhaps that answers it.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: October 16, 2007 19:43

My favorite ever Gazza quote "Best drummer in the world??? Ringo wasn't even the best drummer in the Beatles"

hAHAHA I love that!!

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Posted by: textmonkey ()
Date: October 16, 2007 20:20

CindyC Wrote:
> My favorite ever Gazza quote "Best drummer in the
> world??? Ringo wasn't even the best drummer in
> the Beatles"

not really a gazza quote...some scouser oik called John lennon said it first...

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: October 16, 2007 20:54

textmonkey Wrote:
> CindyC Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > My favorite ever Gazza quote "Best drummer in
> the
> > world??? Ringo wasn't even the best drummer in
> > the Beatles"
>
> not really a gazza quote...some scouser oik called
> John lennon said it first...

did he really? Oh well, it's still funny. Thanks for correcting me!

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: October 16, 2007 21:02

Ringo was the first drummer who opened up the hi hat and really beat it up. This performance from Sweden 1964 I think shows what a good rock drummer he was.

Posted by: redrum ()
Date: October 16, 2007 21:13

There was a Ringo Biography (forgot title) , published in early 1990s...Ringo was quoted as saying a "group" that included himself, Keith, Eric Clapton, Elton John played together in private, but it didn't work out: "too many leaders"...

...Ringo has said he's checked out Charlie Watts Big Band, probably in the 1980s...Beatles & Stones, they always respected each other and admired each others work.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 16, 2007 21:21

CindyC Wrote:
> textmonkey Wrote:
> -----
> > CindyC Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > My favorite ever Gazza quote "Best drummer
> in
> > the
> > > world??? Ringo wasn't even the best drummer
> in
> > > the Beatles"
> >
> > not really a gazza quote...some scouser oik
> called
> > John lennon said it first...
>
> did he really? Oh well, it's still funny.
> Thanks for correcting me!

LOL...actually it was me correcting someone the other day who said that McCartney said it, in that it was actually supposedly Lennon who said it.

except that (apparently) Lennon never DID say it.

Understand?

Posted by: BostonStrangler ()
Date: October 17, 2007 00:13

RIngo is Ringo.. Team player and like Ronnie when given the chance to open up, showed off great chops. Go listen to Abbey Road he sounds pretty freakin good that. Day Tripper, Ticket to Ride...sounds pretty good to me.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: October 17, 2007 00:53

[web2.airmail.net]

I came across this, it is not necessarily the way I feel, and I couldn't say how true it is, but I found it interesting.

sorry if this is a repeat.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 17, 2007 04:34

Yeah, Ringo is often treated unfairly! he was the drummer The Beatles wanted him to be..not flashy, but always dependable with the beat. In Mark Lewison's books Ringo is decribed as being the most reliable in the studio....he knew to be basic and simple based on The Beatles songs...
But he does have those incredible moments where you can glimps his abilities in a broader sense...
He is amazing on I Feel Fine...just listen to the complex rahmba style he is playing on a rock tune.
He did indeed open up the high hat and roto toms which weren't really used by rock drummers...wittness his roto tom work on Sgt. Peppers.
Most of their early live stuff he is totally different live then in the studio, and REMEMBER The Beatles "stereo" mixes on the early albums seperated the mix into two different channels so most of what you hear from Ringo is his cymbal work...the mono mixes are far better and accurate. LISTEN TO RAIN!!!
I say it again his drumming on RAIN is amazing!
But some live stuff of note where you hear him wailing...Some Other Guy, and Long Tall Sally of The Beatles at the BEEB...! AMAZING!
And as was said above, his work on Abby Road is sublime!

Ringo is a lot like Ronnie....a great fun guy to hang with and brought out the best in the musicians around him...
Seems to be a great sensitive guy....hell he had tears in his eyes at the end of Anthology when he describes The Beatles...great moment.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-10-17 04:37 by whitem8.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 17, 2007 08:12

Ringo's drumming is top notch, The Beatles may have never been as great without him.

Along with the examples posted above, Ringo's uniqueness and magic can be heard on:

Tomorrow Never Knows
Tax Man
It's All Too Much
Strawberry Fields Forever
Magical Mystery Tour
Glass Onion
Yer Blues
Don't Let Me Down

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 17, 2007 09:09

Right on Hairball...Man what a forgotten gem It's All Too Much! One of George's best with Ringo just wailing on the skins!

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: October 17, 2007 22:54

Always loved Ringo's drumming-- he had a great feel and complimented Lennon/ Mccartneys songs better than anyone could--

I saw Ringo perform live in 1989 and he was drumming alongside the great Levon Helm and he was tremendous ! In fact, Levon has often said Ringo was one of his 3 favorite drummers--

Posted by: svendborg ()
Date: October 17, 2007 23:47

Oh dear oh dear...more of the old Beatles slamming...
I totally agree with those of you who says Ringo was/is a fairly great drummer. Anyway, he used to be the drummer of the greatest @#$%& recording band ever...the band that outsold everyone in number of records including our beloved Stones :-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1667
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home