Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT Seve Hunter (Lour Reed & Alice Cooper Un-Selfish Great)
Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: October 15, 2007 03:39

I have corresponded with Steve Hunter, one of the most igoned underappreciated lead guitarits in the world. I will share our conversations regarding his past with Lou Reed and his works for Alice Cooper. This guy is genuine and one of the greatest lead guitarists of all-time. I will have to first ask permission to share these general topics with e-mails, which mainly comprise of his youth concerts spanning the 70s (topics of a new memoir collection). And he has struggles as a desolate guitaqr great that walked the streets for no DAMN REASON.

Re: OT Seve Hunter (Lour Reed & Alice Cooper Un-Selfish Great)
Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: October 15, 2007 08:18

was that hunter on reed's 'rock and roll animal' because that is some of the most prototypical rock and ROLL beyond heavy metal out there amazing rock guitar i've ever heard on that album; stunning leads; crushing rhthms...
...slams ya, stunning...seems to me anyway...
dunno if that's the same guy tho; can u say which albums he's been on? ty

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: October 15, 2007 10:08

Chris Fountain Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have corresponded with Steve Hunter, one of the
> most igoned underappreciated lead guitarits in the
> world. I will share our conversations regarding
> his past with Lou Reed and his works for Alice
> Cooper. This guy is genuine and one of the
> greatest lead guitarists of all-time. I will have
> to first ask permission to share these general
> topics with e-mails, which mainly comprise of his
> youth concerts spanning the 70s (topics of a new
> memoir collection). And he has struggles as a
> desolate guitaqr great that walked the streets for
> no DAMN REASON.

Didn't he play with Lou on the Berlin tour recently?

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: October 15, 2007 11:57

He has a great tone and feel in his playing. I read somewhere that he played a lot on Alice Cooper´s Billion Dollar Babies, because the band´s guitarists wasn´t able to do decent solos. (The solo on the title track must definitely be him.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-10-15 12:04 by Svartmer.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 15, 2007 13:42

Beelyboy Wrote:
> was that hunter on reed's 'rock and roll animal'

Yes, must be him. Agree with you on Rock and roll animal. The way Hunter kicks in Sweet Jane ... By the way, can anyone say if the new cd with the unreleased traks is worth a repurchase?

C

Posted by: livewithme ()
Date: October 15, 2007 19:04

yeah that intro into Sweet Jane is one of the greatest pieces ever. I would like to hear more about him. Give us the info! thx!!

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: October 15, 2007 19:19

If there is a "New" Rock n Roll Animal with unreased tracks it is probably a combination of "Rock n Roll Animal" and "Lou Reed Live" which, when put together was the entire concert. And Yes, It is Definitely worth getting as the songs on "Live" are just as good as "Animal". Absolutely amazing.

Hunter (and most of the Rock n Roll Animal band) played on the first few "solo" Alice albums (Welcome to My Nightmare, Alice Cooper Goes to Hell etc.) and toured with Alice on the Welcome to my Nightmare tour (which I saw).

If I recall Hunter also played on a Flo & Eddie album and a realy cool Mitch Ryder album. He also toured with Lou on his recent Berlin tour and after hearing boots of 2 of those shows I have to say his guitar playing is not nearly as bombastic and searing as it once was. Oh well, what are ya gonna do?

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: October 15, 2007 19:59

Hello!
Please bear in mind, that the great intro to Lou Reed's live "Sweet Jane" was the work of two great guitar players, Steve Hunter AND Dick Wagner !

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: October 15, 2007 19:59

>If there is a "New" Rock n Roll Animal with unreased tracks it is probably a combination of "Rock n Roll Animal" and "Lou Reed Live" which, when put together was the entire concert.

Nope, neither original album included "How Do You Think It Feels" or "Caroline Says I", but both have been released as bonus tracks on a CD of RNRA that came out a few years back.

Date: October 16, 2007 00:16

I guess that was what liddas was referring to. That didn't occur to me since the Expanded RnR Animal has been out for several years (and it just so happens that that's the CD I have).

I do, however stand by my opinion that you have to have both CD's to get the whole show.

Oh, and by the way, the only CD version of "Lou Reed Live" that I've seen available here in the States is by BMG Special Projects/The Encore Collection/Extended Versions/Lou Reed ( a budget series of various artists old live records re-issued in a low budget package )

Date: October 16, 2007 00:32

Dick Wagner is still recovering from a massive Heart Attack that occured this past summer. He has lost feeling in one shoulder and arm. Howvever, the Doctors predict a full recovery

By the way, "Swept Away" (1977) is a great instrumental CD by Hunter..

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: October 16, 2007 01:08

If you get the reissue of "RnR Animal" and "Lou Reed Live", you can reconstruct the entire legendary 12/21/73 show. I have a WMP playlist of that show now.

The actual setlist was: Intro - Sweet Jane - How Do You Think It Feels - Caroline Says I - I'm Waiting For The Man - Lady Day - Heroin - Vicious - Satellite Of Love - Walk On The Wild Side - Oh Jim - Sad Song - White Light/White Heat - Rock And Roll (encore)*

* setlist info from [www.arrakis.es]

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: October 16, 2007 01:13

Back to Alice Cooper for a moment: on the 1973 "Billion Dollar Babies" tour, the additional guitarist was Mick Mashbir, who helped cover for the rapidly declining Glen Buxton.

I believe that both Hunter & Wagner participated in the B$B recording sessions.

Date: October 16, 2007 01:21

bassplayer617

... I have done just that ....There doesn't seem to be much other memorbilia from that 1973 Tour. It would be great to see photos and hear other recordings from that tour.... At the beginning of the tour, the famous "Intro" led into Vicious then mid-tour changed to Sweet Jane.

There are a couple of good interviews in "Guitar Player" with Wagner and Hunter in which they give info on that tour. Check via "Google"

By the way the actual setlist makes more sense than the CD order, although very slight.

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: October 16, 2007 02:45

Nikolai Wrote:
>
> Didn't he play with Lou on the Berlin tour
> recently?

I think so

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: October 16, 2007 04:14

I agree with everybody else. The playing by Steve Hunter and Dick Wagner on Rock & Roll Animal,as well with Alice Cooper was outstanding. I also remember hearing an inst. version of Eight Miles High by Hunter that was fun. I would love to hear some of his stories from those days.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: polythene sam ()
Date: October 16, 2007 06:11

I remember seeing Hunter playing live backing The Chambers Bros. in '72. The Detroit album w/ Mitch Ryder is definitely worth hearing. I've also heard that it's Hunter/Wagner supplying the firepower on Aerosmith's "Train Kept A Rollin'".

Date: October 16, 2007 13:50

Sweetcharmedlife,

Try this link for an interview with both Hunter & Wagner

[www.vintageguitar.com]

Date: October 16, 2007 14:23

Heres Steve's own website [www.stevehunter.com]

Guess what music comes on as soon as you open the site.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-10-16 14:24 by Duane in Houston.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1882
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home