Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Mick Is Moving On
Posted by: Lord Sinclair ()
Date: October 13, 2007 05:32

This has been coming for some time and I've been holding my thoughts until now.

Mick is preparing for life now that the final bows of the Stones have been given. I saw many of the shows on the ABB tour before and after the Keith vs. Palm incident and I think Jagger is clearly setting out to be known as the one who is still standing and ready to move on.

Keith is not well. I won't speculate any further than just to say he is not well and should not be on stage.

Business wise Jagger has always been ahead of Keith and now we are seeing the full fruits of his labours on and off the stage. Mick has a compilation album of solo material that he alone can control. He has a new website with a free membership, yes, but this looks to be the beginning of future plans. OK, so maybe he won't tour just yet but why go to the effort to have a site that seems to be in better management hands than RS.Com?

Charlie has always played outside the Stones, Ronnie has from the beginning, and Keith only because he felt he needed to answer Jagger in the 80's. So here we have Sir Mick with a new release, a new site, doing interviews in preparation for the release while the Stones are finishing their tour in London which leads me to finally say that Mick is quietly announcing his creative independance from Keith and the Rolling Stones and just how important this work has been to him over the years.

Look folks, Mick has been advising Ronnie for years to clean up and get a few other revenue streams out there such as music, DVDs, and especially art. And Ronnie has been listening! The guy sets up art showings in every major city where the Stones visit on tour-this is classic Jagger influence. Meanwhile, Charlie is in a studio recording Jazz on his days off and Mick is conducting film and solo music business. Where is Keith? Hotel, Hotel, Hotel.

Ronnie has been listening and Ronnie has been making money the Jagger way by working his ass off and cleaning up his act to keep the Stones rolling.

And Jagger has been paying him back by dropping in at a few art showings and performing with him on stage during Ronnie's great solo shows just before ABB came out back in 2005. Remember, Jagger helps those who help him.

Where the hell is Keith in all this-Palm tree anyone?

OK, so this sounds rough, but Jagger tried this same thing in the 70's with Keith and Keith wouldn't have it. So here comes Ronnie and Jagger says, you could make more and be more just clean up and listen to me. Voila, Ronnie Wood saves the ABB tour and thank God because I saw and heard Keith ruin more songs than I care to remember.

So, ABB ends and before it ends here comes Sir Mick with a compilation album with DVD, new website with a store, extras, and links to his film projects. Yes, I know his previous site for the Goddess in the Doorway release had all this, too but that was very different. It was 2001. The Stones were already planning a tour when Goddess came out(watch Being Mick and check the archives here). Now ABB is done. Don't talk to me about a North American tour. If they play in North America it will be to promote Shine A Light and it will only be a show or two at best and not a tour. Honestly, I doubt a tour will happen. The market won't allow it. Springstein will be on the road, along with Clapton to promote his book. McCartney looks like he might do something to save his sorry album, Bon Jovi will soon announce a huge tour begnning in North America in January right after they play the Super Bowl and, well, let's face it. Keith won't be able to play. Ronnie carried him through ABB. I saw the early shows in 2005 and things seemed to be OK, but not great. Keith was easily wasted during the shows I saw. The shows post palm tree were just sad and scary. More than once I thought the poor man would fall over dead on stage. I know some of you will say that is how he should leave this mortal coil, but really? In front of 50,000 people (on a good night) who paid far too much?

So, here we are. There will be no official announcement because there never is with the Stones, but one can always tell what is afoot with the movements of Mr. Jagger. He has a charmed life indeed and is setting himself up for more of the same. And Shine A Light? Mick will let this be the final document on the Stones just as The Last Waltz was for The Band. Just wait, Mick will probably do more film music and probably with Scorsese... I told you so, first.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-10-13 05:55 by Lord Sinclair.

Re: Mick Is Moving On
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 13, 2007 06:14

The Stones are coming back to LA in '08!

Date: October 13, 2007 06:45

bollocks-i told you so first! just wait

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: October 13, 2007 06:49

nice that your a mick fan sinclair, everyone here is i would think.
i just don't confuse him with being important outside of The Rolling Stones.

I'm into his music. I like that he's found film producing interesting, and think he's a fascinating interview, when he's engaged...and think it's interesting he's doing producing and maybe some acting and all that...

i mean, he's mick, sure i want to know a bit about what he's up to...and mean no disrepect toward him; he's amazing performer; but, (you KNEW there'd be a "but"...
ha...BUT i just like to think of him at his most brilliantly, otherworldly effectiveness as rock singer of the ages; and the rest of the stuff, for me, pales beyond that...the rest of the stuff...achievements, activities noted, etc...means little to me personally.

Mick would have walked away from the stone a long time ago, many suggest, had any of his solo albums done much of anything...(i liked a few of the songs; he's always a good performer, but the truth hit him right in the face and really hard...people wanted The Rolling Stones; not 'being mick') i think that's fair to say.

I'm a fan; what he does interests me and all that...but as rock and rollers go; and as rock and roll music goes, it's like keith said recently 'he's nothing without me'
hawww...

if jags wants to play the bigs; he's got to hang with the guys that carry the big beat.
he's already learned the lesson four or five times. people like him because he's Charlie's singer.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: October 13, 2007 06:51

Here we go again. Just because Mick has been in the news lately promoting his new greatest hits album and because Keith has layed low. It now means the end of the Stones. Get over it. Their are exactly two people in this world that know when the end of The Rolling Stones will be. Mick Jagger & Keith Richards. I don't think they know when that will be at this point...........Just recently BV said that the next tour could start as soon as late Jan.early Feb.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: October 13, 2007 07:20

interesting sir brett.... only time will tell

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 13, 2007 07:27

When Mick appears on Larry King to promote himself, thats when it's the end.

Until then, Keith is high in a tree, plotting his next strategy.

Rollin Stones tour '08!

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: October 13, 2007 07:29

see you in the next tour 2008.

Posted by: Monkeylad ()
Date: October 13, 2007 07:43

Lord Sinclair, why have you omitted Keith's recent $7-million book deal from the case that you attempt to make to prove Keith's lack of activity?

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: October 13, 2007 07:47

......It could be that Keith's already made his bed w/ the autobiography.

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: October 13, 2007 07:56

I think they'll all play it by ear till life events set a new/different course for Mick or the Band or whatever, it's the way they've ALWAYS done it and it's taken them this far so why change - don't fix it if it ain't broke......

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: October 13, 2007 09:11

It's the end when Mick appears on the TV show "Dancing with the Stars" or does a stint in "Ringo's All Starr Band" road show.

Date: October 13, 2007 09:25

Keef has never been in better health!! His guitar work on the last European tour was his best in years.

There have been many threads discussing "The End", so no need to start a new one...just search the subject and you'll find many recent threads on the subject.

Insider sources have stated they are finished touring, but not attributed to the reasons you mentioned.

[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: ilikemick ()
Date: October 13, 2007 10:00

Beelyboy Wrote:

it's like keith said recently
> 'he's nothing without me'
> hawww...
>
> if jags wants to play the bigs; he's got to hang
> with the guys that carry the big beat.
> he's already learned the lesson four or five
> times. people like him because he's Charlie's
> singer.

oh, you don´t really believe this, do you? ;-)

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 13, 2007 12:36

ilikemick Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Beelyboy Wrote:
>
> it's like keith said recently
> > 'he's nothing without me'
> > hawww...
> >
> > if jags wants to play the bigs; he's got to
> hang
> > with the guys that carry the big beat.
> > he's already learned the lesson four or five
> > times. people like him because he's Charlie's
> > singer.
>
> oh, you don´t really believe this, do you? ;-)

I do. The point about Mick being Cha's singer is sarcastic, but the basic idea is a correct one. Jagger is no a super star outside the Rolling Stones context, and he knows that by now.

- Doxa

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 13, 2007 12:43

But Lord Sinclair's points are insightful and interesting. If the process he is describing is true, perhaps we might be now wittnessing a new situation where Jagger is not so not so dependant of crazy stardom, top charts, top headlines anymore (funny, by being Mick, he makes headlines with albums does sell next to nothing...) Maybe he is finally 'satisfied', and just continues doing what he loves to do, being it succesfull or not. Maybe he finally has 'afford' to do that. And bloody hell, he deserves that!

- Doxa

Posted by: Lord Sinclair ()
Date: October 13, 2007 13:55

I ommitted Keith's book because Keith is not writing it. He simply signed a contract to allow someone else the RIGHT to put his name and image on it and sell it as the authorized version of events. There is no real creativity involved in it for Keith.

I'm very much a Rolling Stones fan and prefer to see Mick write and perform with the Stones. However, it is clear to me that this situation is no longer as important for Mick as it once was. I think ABB was the last big push for all the concert revenue, merchandising, DVD packages, film rights, etc...
It extended the brand far beyond where it was at the end of Licks. Now Mick no longer needs the trouble and strife that comes with dealing with less than professional behaviour.

Keith Richards is, was, and always will be one of the greatest rock guitarists and it is his songs I play on my own guitar. Stones and solo tunes. However, the last of the great shows have been played. His book will be optioned for a film or mini-series and he'll take the cash, his kids will get bit parts in the movie and life will proceed.

Do not think I'm one of those Mick v. Keith fans. I'm not. I'm merely making clear my astute obersvations as business owner myself. Remember what Ronnie once said, "We're all bank managers now."

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 13, 2007 15:22

NumberOneStonesFan Wrote:
> Keef has never been in better health!! His guitar
> work on the last European tour was his best in
> years.

Be serious
>
> Insider sources have stated they are finished
> touring, but not attributed to the reasons you
> mentioned.

No they havent. They mentioned no more tours that go on for 1-2 years at a time Plenty of other and more reliable 'insider sources' are aware that they plan to keep performing and will do so in 2008

Otherwise - I agree with what beely says.

as for "Where the hell is Keith in all this"? The tour ended about 6 weeks ago - what do people expect him to be doing?

Posted by: yapyap#3 ()
Date: October 13, 2007 15:28

Lord Sinclair,....You are filled to capacity with doo-doo, SIR!

I love these "people" who think they know the next(or last) move of the Stones.Where did you get all this verbal diarrhea, and why did you choose to face me when you spewed it? For you to get on here and pontificate on a subject you know nothing about is the ultimate in dumb.I WILL call you out when the next tour is announced. I WILL make you feel about 2 inches tall. You will be just sinclair then, I will take the Lordship away and call myself Lordyapyap....

And what has you owning a business got to do with you knowing what Jagger is thinking? Your ass-toot observations are way off base. You don't know Jagger. You don't know what Jagger is going to do...Jagger doesn't either.

The next time you decide to post pure crap, make a better decision.

Posted by: gstone ()
Date: October 13, 2007 15:30

What a load of rubbish the representantative from the peerage is polluting this board with.
He's probably not aware that a few people on this board actually know and have spoken with both Keith and others in the band several times during the tour.
People here have better sources than you, obviously.
And I just cannot see why a man who sells less than 12.000 copies of an album would consider "moving on" from the Rolling Stones.
So Lord, (oh my god, am I talking to someone from the house of lords?) stick to your swords and your sheep and your tweeds.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 13, 2007 15:54

Hank Snow...he was Movin' On...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: oldkr ()
Date: October 13, 2007 15:54

mick is moving- by re-releasing his past work- yes I see your logic......

OLDKR

Posted by: phelge ()
Date: October 13, 2007 16:20

Excellent post Lord Sinclair! Whether it all turns out to be true or not doesn't matter. It was an intelligent well thought out piece which raises many interestng points. That you can't post intelligent speculation and opinion on a board like this without being shot down is a bit sad. Keep it up son!

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 13, 2007 17:18

I greatly enjoyed reading "Mick is Moving On: Jagger's Master Plan to Pursue an Unsuccessful Solo Career Full-Time."

Posted by: David700 ()
Date: October 13, 2007 17:32

you folks think and assume too much about the stones, these are people that we really don't know, but might have meet (my quality time with all 4 - two times was a total of 90 seconds/and i worked for Virgin records at the time!) but damn it all we love their music.....don't we!

Posted by: ilikemick ()
Date: October 13, 2007 18:07

>
>
> I do. The point about Mick being Cha's singer is
> sarcastic, but the basic idea is a correct one.
> Jagger is no a super star outside the Rolling
> Stones context, and he knows that by now.
>
> - Doxa

hi,
Mick is one of the biggest stars on this planet, don´t you agree with that? He doesn´t need the band to be that.
I don´t think he had to learn something by not selling very much. I also don´t think that he has a masterplan to "start" a solo-career or something, he has just more energy than the others.
The other thing, what Keith said, i think is just stupid. I hope that Keith does not believe what he said, or that it was just a joke, because otherwise it would be very sad. (if it was no joke, than i would really like to know what Keith thinks where he would be without Mick)

Posted by: Jumpin'JackFrash ()
Date: October 13, 2007 18:23

Is there anyone more anxious or prone to worry than a Rolling Stones fan?

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: October 13, 2007 19:23

Que sera sera ... Plan A says "refer to Plan B", and Plan B says "there ain't no
Plan B". Chill out people, cos' truly ... whatever will be will be !

Posted by: Sam Spade ()
Date: October 13, 2007 20:12

Hairball Wrote:
> When Mick appears on Larry King to promote
> himself, thats when it's the end.
>

I disagree, if Prince Rupert were still involved advising Mick and he suggested going on Larry King, Jay Leno or Oprah to "hustle" a project as a vehicle to increasing revenue Mick would do it in a New York minute.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: October 13, 2007 20:18

Hairball Wrote:
> When Mick appears on Larry King to promote
> himself, thats when it's the end.
>

Well Eric Clapton has been on Larry King. Does that mean it's the end for him?

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1263
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home