Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Live Nation U2 Servey
Posted by: Josh2131 ()
Date: October 14, 2007 19:26

It's rather common knowledge (and based on facts) that, overall, the NYPD are quite racist.

josh.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 14, 2007 19:44

birdrum Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Gazza Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > and YOU personally know what inspired Jagger
> back
> > in 1972 - how?
> >
> > So, if (as youre suggesting) he went to the
> > trouble of making a story up for artistic
> effect,
> > shouldnt that (according to the twisted logic
> of
> > some people in this thread) make him even more
> of
> > a 'cop hater' ?
>
>
> duh..all I need to know is you don't know what
> inspired him or what specific event it is or
> isn't..so printing the lyrics and relating it to
> sprinsgteen is inappropriate.

How is it? I'm relating it to another poster's hypocrisy about whining about one artist's (perceived) criticism of the NYPD when ignoring the fact that the Stones have done so, and in an even more explicit manner. The events that inspired or may not have inspired comment are irrelevant. I've certainly no axe to grind with the NYPD or anyone, so take your own agenda elsewhere.

Of course mistaken
> identify happens and people are on death row when
> they shouldn't be. It happens.

Undoubtedly and its very unfortunate when mistakes get made by anyone. However, I never said thats not the case.

So whether it's
> gimme shelter or heartbreaker they are life events
> and sung about generally .

You simply dont know that. Thats my point. Do you mean like Sweet NeoCon and Dangerous Beauty are about life events and just 'sung about generally'? What next? The Stones hate the US Army?

and one should not draw
> conclusions about the artist's intent

which is what you seem (to me) to be doing in this case. Works both ways, no?

Springsteen
> went further..he was referring to a specific event
> and explicitly giving you his intent. Apples and
> Oranges. Man you are stupid!

I'm being called stupid by someone who took Springsteen's joke about being 'a hunk of chiselled muscle' seriously.....yeah, it all makes sense.

Evidently the stupidity is all yours. Suggest you read the lyrics of 41 Shots again, especially the later verses. The subject matter is much more wide-ranging than just limiting it to that one specific event.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-10-14 22:46 by Gazza.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: October 14, 2007 20:59

say what you want about bono, and yes he probably is over the top, but u2 is the bomb and all original members, i know alot of people dont really care about original members all that much, but that is very impressive after all these years
first formed in 76

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-10-14 21:03 by melillo.

Date: October 14, 2007 21:08

Pretty much unheard of in this day and age, for sure.

Posted by: Dear Doctor ()
Date: October 14, 2007 22:19

springsteen is a punk

if he is great to the police and working man than tell me why he is the only musician that I know of who the police almost boycotting protecting at a show

i'm sure you know the event , when spingbean played shea in 2003, or 04 it was all over the ny papers how they were pissed at him for trying to humiliate them

he is a phony

and anyone who thinks he is something special musically is clueless, take your springsteen glorification over to the rocks off board,

the official ass-kissing springsteen board, with 10 or 11 moron posters who know shit about music

go on, post this on your juvenile board and have a blast with it

what fun

Date: October 14, 2007 22:24

Dear Doctor Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> springsteen is a punk
>
> if he is great to the police and working man than
> tell me why he is the only musician that I know of
> who the police almost boycotting protecting at a
> show#

because they were stupid, blinkered and had a little hissy fit over some perceived criticism?? (sound familiar?)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-10-14 22:29 by Gazza.

Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: October 14, 2007 22:41

good gawd docter, did bruce shag your wife or something ?

or are you a cop on the take, not a decent one but the slimy minority racist that let the goeven od guys down. the indiscriminate way you shoot off at the mouth you might have been there

you really are an imbecile.

but you make my spelling ad punctuation look good so that cool,

Oh could you come back to me on what weapons these cops had, if you dont feckin know dont use as an excuse for excessive rounds.

now what about that stones song ? or has gazza been a bit unfair and confused you with some facts ????

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: October 15, 2007 03:17

Dear Doctor, it's fairly obvious that you don't rate Bruce Springsteen very highly, either as a performing artist, or by the manner through which he occasionally goes about drawing attention to important social issues; in this instance, the rooting out of bigotry and race hatred in the New York City Police force.

To describe the guy as some kind of cop-hater however, is inappropriate to the point of being absurd.

Remember, we’re talking here about the slaughter of an innocent victim, shot dead by NY police officers simply because he happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time; and not even mistaken identity or sheer blind panic can begin to explain why it took 41 bullets to complete the job. Surely, either as an artist or a concerned citizen, Mr Springsteen is fully entitled to ask for somebody somewhere to provide us with an explanation, and to plead for some sort of curtailment of the entrenched us-and-them mentality of the “pop-a-cop” culture still prevalent among the more disaffected of New York’s ethnic minorities.

However, by criticising Mr Springsteen and closing ranks, the police merely exacerbated the problem, making life even more difficult for the vast majority of brave, diligent and dignified officers, forced to suffer the consequences of this terrible and tragic incident.

Shooting the messenger does not make it go away.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1762
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home