Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Got the Deluxe BEST OF JAGGER CD/DVD today - my review / observations
Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: October 3, 2007 01:01

So after zipping through the DVD and the CD (I've heard all these songs, no need to listen to EVERYTHING at this point) here's my first impressions. RICK RUBIN and THE STONES REALLY need to work together. It's kinda obvious WANDERING SPIRIT is the cream of the crop out of Mick's solo albums. The Videos for SWEET THING (had not seen it before) and DON"T TEAR ME UP are kind of the stand outs too. The thing that surprised me was how kick ass CHECKIN' UP ON MY BABY (with the Red Devils) sounds. Even though I have a very high quality Boot of the entire session it's just amazing how good Jagger and the Band sound together - another RICK RUBIN idea/project. On the DVD interview Mick really spends a lot of time going on about how he clashed alot with RICK (he does it nicely, in true Jagger form) during the making of WS but it just proves that the RICKSTER has a million dollar ear. It's a damn shame the ENTIRE Red Devils session isn't out officially cause it's just 100% pure R 'n' B with that great RICK RUBIN production.

I kinda wish RUTHLESS PEOPLE and STATE OF SHOCK were included cause they are missed. Maybe wipe out Jacksons vocals and have Tina Turner sing his part in the studio (if that's why he keep it off).I have yet to be able to watch the LETS WORK video. Have yet to listen all the way through to CHARMED LIFE. Really the DVD highlight for me was the Jagger interview which goes on and on but is really interesting as he breaks a lot of the songs down and tells stories about them (now if he'd do that with some of the better STONES songs.... FOR ONCE !!!). All in all a nice package that COULD HAVE been slightly better. I give it a B+ but it could have been an A - with a few more numbers, including 1 or 2 more off WANDERING SPIRIT. Hey Mick, Call RICK RUBIN for the next Stones album, the guy is a GENIUS !!! (Dixie Chicks, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Johnny Cash, on and on and on...)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-10-03 02:05 by HelterSkelter.

Re: Got the Deluxe BEST OF JAGGER CD/DVD today - my review / observations
Posted by: monkeyman07 ()
Date: October 3, 2007 01:05

yeah , i dont know him , but maybe hes a good worker and they need another producer for the new tour , lets kick the ass michael cohl!!!"

wipeacdc@hotmail.com
never too old or young to rocknroll!!!!!!

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: October 3, 2007 01:11

Helter thanks for your input...I was just about to run over
to Best Buy to pick up the cd/dvd on my way to get my haircut...

You mentioned "Mick really spends a lot of time going on about how he clashed a lot with RICK" ..........any theories here? i don't know much about the
relationship or Mick's (or Stones') relationship with other producers...
....I could speculate that Mick/Stones might not be open to criticism and
might only surround themselves with "yes-men". Maybe Rick questioned
Mick, insisted on certain things ....challenged Mick????

Any of this on the dvd video?

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: cirrhosis ()
Date: October 3, 2007 01:32

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-12-31 06:04 by cirrhosis.

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: October 3, 2007 01:43

Mick has upgraded his website for the release of the CD/DVD

[www.mickjagger.com]

Date: October 3, 2007 01:53

I think Rick Rubin has a very strong vision and, of course, Jagger has a very strong vision and they were just clashing away... The thing is when you hear Wandering Spirit and The Red Devils sessions you know Rick knows what he's doing. I just think he always makes artists sound their best. Sometimes one needs some distance from ones work, or at least have someone there to tell them a song isn't quite there yet, I think Rick does that.... Some very big artists are too surrounded by very big "Yes" men IMHO......

Date: October 3, 2007 02:05

-

Date: October 3, 2007 02:10

There you go, EVERYBODY KNOWS ABOUT MY GOOD THING should have been on the BEST OF CD (luckily I have it on a Boot), as well as BLUE which is just one of Jaggers best songs (that get's slapped on as a B-side, BAD JUDGEMENT I SAY !!!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-10-03 02:11 by HelterSkelter.

Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: October 3, 2007 02:55

Just noticed the iTunes version. Where does EVERYBODY KNOWS ABOUT MY GOOD THING come from? It's really good. Was it a B-side?

I'm tired, I'm tired of doing what I'm told.
Things are moving way too slow.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 3, 2007 03:02

Everybody Knows About My Good Thing....

Recorded live with Gary Moore & Midnight Blues Band
British National Music Day
Hammersmith Odeon, London
28 June 1992

Available on Tear Me Up 12" & CD single..........

ROCKMAN

Posted by: babablack ()
Date: October 3, 2007 06:29

no doubt everybody knows about my good thing should have.

what about Visions of Paradise. great film clip that one.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: October 3, 2007 11:26

Speaking of Rick Rubin, he recently mentioned that he's supposed to be producing sessions for a new Dylan album in January -- that should be interesting, as BD famously clashed with Lanois (but ended up w/amazing results both times).

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: October 3, 2007 11:41

correct Helter. THis is what I was thinking the other day watching Don Was interviewing Mick.
Don Was was involved in several projects, now it is Rick Rubin turn now to bring his own mark to a Stones album (Rubin is producing at the moment the Metallica album that we expect for feb/march 2008)

BUT :
- the band should write excellent songs first and take the time to work together. Let's face the fact : a BB was weak, only a few highlights. They need a new "start me up".
- would Keith agree with Rubin as producer ? Mick and Rubin had different views during WS, so it is not so easy. But the result was the best MJ solo album.
- would the band listen with Rubin to the old tapes ? maybe Rubin would have ideas to rework them and release many ones who should see the light.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: October 3, 2007 12:14

It's not a bad collection at all. I would have dropped Let's Work in favour of Throwaway, and includsed more of the afore-mentioned rarities, but that's what everybody says right ...?

Posted by: mofur ()
Date: October 3, 2007 13:20

toomuchforme Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Let's face the
> fact : a BB was weak, only a few highlights. They
> need a new "start me up".

What you are expressing is - and a lot of people seem to confuse the two on this board - your PERSONAL opinion - not a fact.

Personally, I think that ABB is a latterday meisterwerk. I think it is a great album but that does not make it a fact.

And don't nobody start on the sales, either. Sales have never been an indicator of anything ;-)

Besides that, I would love for Rick Rubin to produce the next albm for the Stones - he seems to be willing and not afraid to take on the fights.

Posted by: babablack ()
Date: October 3, 2007 14:02

ARe you on drugs mofur?

Posted by: Monkeylad ()
Date: October 3, 2007 14:48

Heads up, penny-pinchers. The price for TVBOMJ (now there's a catchy abbreviation) on Target's website is $20.99. My local Target was out, so I printed the price from www.target.com and went to Best Buy. Best Buy will match lower prices from other stores if you bring evidence.

It's a nicely assembled package, like many Rhino releases. The liner notes are very comprehensive.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-10-03 14:48 by Monkeylad.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 3, 2007 15:29

WS has for sure a bunch of great songs, but who knows if we have to praise Rubin for it. Maybe it was only an inspired Jagger.

Of one thing I'm sure, I don't like how WS sounds. It's uninspired plastic. The guitars are awfully overdriven. The bass has no thump. It doesn't have the depth of Keith solo works - and it misses that kitsh Mick Jagger's freshness of She's the Boss.

C

Date: October 3, 2007 15:41

babablack Wrote:
> ARe you on drugs mofur?

Why - just because I think ABB is great?

Or, maybe, because I'm tired of hearing people presenting their personal opinions as facts? ;-)

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 3, 2007 15:42

ABB is a great album. FACT!

C

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: October 3, 2007 15:52

I'm with you Mofur! ABB is the 2nd best album the band has ever produced, though I must disagree with WS as Mick's best solo effort. For me, that's Goddess, then WS. I'm always amazed at the love that She's the Boss gets. For me, that is his weakest outing. Primitive Cool is waaaaay underrated, much like Dirty Work. I haven't watched the DVD yet, but I will say this for the Very Best Of, I don't like Charmed Life. It sounds so friggin dated. Too Many Cooks is much better than Charmed Life, but still it doesn't do a whole lot for me. And Checkin up on my Baby............HOLY SH!!!!!!!!! I would kill to have this whole session released! This was truly the highlight of the album - even my 23 month old was diggin it! Please Mick Please release the Red Devils album!!

Posted by: euro'73 ()
Date: October 3, 2007 15:53

What I really miss on the DVD is the "Hard Woman" video.

Date: October 3, 2007 17:14

.... some very good comments about Rick Rubin and the Dylan (and Metallica) projects sound VERY interesting. speaking of Producers, Glams mention of Lanois and Dylans clashes BUT brilliant work in the end of it all just shows that some of these top artists that have been around for a long time SOMETIMES need a strong hand to guide them. The most famous example (and he wasn't a producer but maybe there was a little bit of a producer in the partnership) was how Lennon helped Macca keep the brakes on to stop his song writing from spinning out too far into light weight land (like it did with WINGS) and vice versa to a lesser degree. Of course George Martin had something to do with all of that also I believe. Anyway, back to Jagger, after reading everyones comments I feel this should have been a 2 disc - CD - set. Get the second disc going with:

EVERYBODY KNOWS ABOUT MY GOOD THING
BLUE
THROWAWAY (for Nikolai)
RUTHLESS PEOPLE (yeah, very 80's but not a bad song)
STATE OF SHOCK
RED DEVILS SESSIONS - 3 more, such a smokin' album Jagger said he had trouble picking just one
VISIONS OF PARADISE (as babablack said, the video clip would have been nice)
LONELY AT THE TOP/STATE OF SHOCK (with Tina Turner) from Live Aid 1985`
Maybe 3 live ones from WEBSTER HALL (NYC) and 1 or 2 from the JAPANESE/AUSTRALIAN solo tour.

IMHO these additional songs would have made THE VERY BEST OF a better rounded collection then where it stands now, what else would you add, or leave off?

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: October 3, 2007 17:28

HelterSkelter Wrote:
and vice versa to a lesser degree.

To a higher degree.
It's common knowledge that McCartney was the better and more clever musician/songwriter. Lennon neede McCartney more than vice versa. And that's not subjective.

Posted by: harlito1969 ()
Date: October 3, 2007 17:43

I bought it at Best Buy yesterday for $15.05US.

It's a good collection but there is still some rarities that could have been added. Someone stated in another thread about "I'm Ringing". That would be a good addition along with "Ruthless People". The songs may not be great but having them in this collection would have been nice.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: October 3, 2007 18:04

I haven't checked but...are songs like Ruthless People & I'm Ringing etc...
available on iTunes (or similar sites)? If not...these songs could have
been good incentives for full album downloads....and could have been
additional tracks on the cd/dvd set.

Bought it at Best Buy yesterday for $23.
I found the single disk right away (on the end)....looked
for the cd/dvd in the "Mick Jagger" section...BUT THERE WAS NO "MICK JAGGER" section.

Best Buy gal found the last cd/dvd on a cart that had not been unloaded yet.
I think she said that each store only gets a few (2-3) cd/dvd units.....at least
for the initial release. So....if interested..get to Best Buy.

(I still haven't opened it. I will set aside 1-2 hrs tonight)

I went to the new MJ site and watched the Charmed Life video again...and
must admit, i'm beginning to like it.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: October 3, 2007 19:08

Hey
> Mick, Call RICK RUBIN for the next Stones album,
> the guy is a GENIUS !!!

i absolutely agree! Rubin would be the guy for a stones album. he brings out the best of an artist. but i think mick didnt really like to work with rick (i think he once said so, but maybe i'm wrong).

Date: October 3, 2007 19:45

-

Date: October 3, 2007 20:12

FACT: "Rough Justice" is as good as "Start Me Up" ;-)

I can still remember the words of a Danish reviewer, likening the intro to "Rough Justice" to "the sound of a giant, slumbering beast slowly rising to its feet again" YES!

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: October 3, 2007 20:34

Nikolai Wrote:
> It's not a bad collection at all. I would have
> dropped Let's Work in favour of Throwaway, and
> includsed more of the afore-mentioned rarities,
> but that's what everybody says right ...?

Agree. Also think that Kow Tow and Party Doll should have been on there. Let's Work and Charmed Life is just a waste of cd-space.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1267
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home