Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: The Band
Posted by: dimrstone ()
Date: October 4, 2007 00:54

Hey dougie ,magenta I can't believe how lucky you are being there for this very special concert!
Please write some more about it if you remember anything.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: October 4, 2007 01:41

last waltz is great, but its funny to watch robbies fake singing with his mike turned off

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 4, 2007 01:54

Ronnie & The Hawks...Ontario 1963.....

Richard Manuel.....Rick Danko.................Levon Helm...Ronnie Hawkins..Robbie Robertson..Garth Hudson.

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: October 4, 2007 02:17

Rockman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> always had a room in the heart for Rick Danko..It
> Makes No Difference
> and his Romulas and Remus harmonies beneath Manuel
> on I Shall Be Released...

........absolutely spine tingling stuff whenever I hear it!!

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: October 4, 2007 02:31

Any photos out there of Rick Danko with Paul Butterfield....and Blondie? I guess it would be circa 1985 or 1986.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 4, 2007 02:47

Paul Butterfield....Rick Danko...Photo David Seelig...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: October 4, 2007 02:52

Thanks! Rockman (although I will have to wait until I get home to view the picture as my work computer restricts the photos that can be downloaded)

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: October 4, 2007 03:56

The band were amazing! I saw them (minus Robbie Robertson...so they were not truly The Band) in an old train terminal in Buffalo in the early-mid 80s. They were amazing musicians who played extraordinarily well together.

And they may have been the BEST band from North America. It would make a thread about 1000 pages long on here. Definitely better than CCR, who could rock and had some great hits, but who also had some really weak stuff. That being said, I'd still rather go see John Fogerty live than anyone from The Band solo. Together they were amazing....solo not so.

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: October 4, 2007 04:17

I really like The Band, but I haven't played any of their records lately

BTW the sequence in Easy Rider with the The Weight playing is IMO a classic

Posted by: dougie ()
Date: October 4, 2007 05:17

The funny thing is that the concert was so much money for the time, and nobody knew who was going to show up; it wasn't billed as anything other than the 'last show with guests'. I do not think the show ever sold out! I almost had to go by myself because nobody else could affort the $30-40 for the ticket; talked a friend into it right before the show.

When you walked into Winterland, they had an orchestra in the section infront of the stage and the Thanksgiving Buffet on the right side of the floor (facing stage). Seeing the Grateful Dead there, it was a surreal scene for Winterland (and I wasn't on any psychidelics at the time). Normally Winterland held around 6,000 (I think), and they only sold 4,000 tickets- place was not packed at all!

Clapton seemed totally together during his songs with the Band, but when he came out during the end with the allstar jam, he was in a chair. And, I 'think' they either carried him on or off in the chair. Given all of that, he was playing well.
The jam with the 'all stars' was without the entire 'Band'. Then, the band came on by themselves and did 'Don't Do It' (best part of the show!!!). IT was just before 2 in the morning when it all ended. 5 hour show best of my recollection.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-10-04 05:35 by dougie.

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: October 4, 2007 05:51

Thanks for the story, dougie.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: October 4, 2007 18:56

Elmo Lewis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> greatest band ever from North America - CCR

love creedence, but as far as "bands" go - no way, jose. the band had three of the greatest vocalists in rock history, among many, many, many other attributes.

Posted by: dimrstone ()
Date: October 4, 2007 21:44

Many thanks for the story, dougie!
Such a show and still not sold out! What a pity!
I would give 140 $ easily for this! And even if I couldn't afford it I would sell my car or something!!!

Really really great photos Rockman! Really unbelievable!!!! Thank you!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-10-04 21:48 by dimrstone.

Posted by: David700 ()
Date: October 4, 2007 21:48

levon helms' drumming is totally unique
just like the music of the band
got every album they ever did.
of course it helps that i worked at Capitol/EMI/Virgin for 13 years!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1538
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home