Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT--the kinks
Posted by: Havo ()
Date: October 2, 2007 20:59

well, beside the stones, i prefer these-ones.
had most of their vinyl, but one question.
whats the best compilation on cd???

under the boardwalk---down by the sea

Re: OT--the kinks
Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 2, 2007 21:30

THE ULTIMATE COLLECTION is a nice overview of their first twenty years and has all of the hits in one place. The trouble is you'll still be missing so many great album tracks you'll at least need THE KINK KRONIKLES and CELLULOID HEROES to supplement it.

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: October 2, 2007 21:40

thanks, searching --lets say til "misfits"

under the boardwalk---down by the sea

Posted by: phd ()
Date: October 2, 2007 22:15

I would say " Life on the Road ".

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: October 3, 2007 01:22

sleepwalker

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: October 3, 2007 03:03

Low budget

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 3, 2007 03:21

For an interesting compilation try To the Bone. All live a mix of accoustic stuff from Konk studio with a small fan club audience (LUCKY BASTARDS!), and some arena full electric. Some great and rare song choices on it, and great sound.

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: October 3, 2007 04:16

To The Bone is great. A must have for anyone that likes The Kinks.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 3, 2007 05:36

Yeah, I agree! I love all the versions, and probably the best verion of Do You Remember Walter....it is fantastic! Same with Gallon of Gas.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: October 3, 2007 05:49

I love these guys! No one CD will do, you need to have a collection. their music has really varied over the years. Ray's bi-polar issues made him a great song writer. When I saw him last year, he introduced an old Kinks song by saying "Here is one I wrote just after my second nervous breakdown"

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: October 3, 2007 06:22

There is a compilation called The Kinks Singles Collection/ Waterloo Sunset. One cd is singles through the Apeman Lola period. Killer setlist. Second cd is Ray doing some of his great songs. This is a must have compilation. Also Kinks Kollection, Kinks Kronikles, BBC Sessions. Hell just buy em all.

Now THIS is a band I would travel to see on a reunion tour!

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: October 3, 2007 06:25

After his current solo CD is out and toured about, and if Dave continues to improve, I would say it could happen.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: October 3, 2007 11:43

great suggestions, especially the first few which stick to the 'compilation' idea you were asking about.
that being said, i think 'schoolboys in disgrace' is a hugely under-rated album; just for 'jack the idiot dunce' and 'the hard' way' (which there is also a grreeatt live version of somewhere)...and also some lovely ballads and diverse stuff...
i don't think there's a Kinks album I don't have and haven't relished.
ray is one of the most amazing songwriters, wry intellects and master melodists of all time, including imo, the best of pop AND classical composers; the guy is amazing.
mick avory blows me totally away time and time again; album after album; and do believe he was jammin' with the seminal stones as they were forming as well, but some more informed fan would be able to tell you more accurately about that...
pete quaife the original bassist, who left relatively early on, was a huge presence and I've seen him in recent pictures and he actually looks younger and more handsome and together than he did in his twenties...
that leaves dave...who at his best, which he held for an enormous long time, before the tragic stroke, which I pray to God very fervently he continues to recover from. was one of the most inventive, creative and solidly reliable, fun and ultra hot lead guitarists and harmony vocalists in r & r history.

what a perfect miracle are the kinks...what an incredible catalog of brilliant stuff; not just worthwhile or amazing; absotlely brilliantly conceived, written, performed and recorded...

every now and again, quite frequently actually, a Kinks thread seems to come up here...all for the best...what an amazing, important catalog and what a gift of genius to the pop world...think of those early hits dripping with sarcasm but with that big tooth gapped infectious grin; sunny afternoon, dedicated follower of fashion, but then morph into muswell hillbillies and lola vs. the powerman and arthur and the village green preservation society and most all of their live stuff from an period...
gigantic contribution; amazing band. exciting band. genius band. a rare gift that will last for centuries.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: October 3, 2007 12:39

"Ray Davies and Friends" are doing a session at the Roundhouse as part of the BBC Electric Proms 2007 (like the Who did last year). Still tickets left, I think.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1555
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home