Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: rarities
Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: March 28, 2008 13:59

You're right again. The ME-intro sounds sooo forced. It has "45" written all over it. Just forgot that...SKIP.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 28, 2008 14:18

JumpingKentFlash
Artistic relevance for this CD is nowhere to be found. But it is very nice to listen to it. There's great songs on it.

there certainly are - because its the Rolling Stones.

However, a chimpanzee could have picked a more appropriate song selection.

Its quite obvious that someone at Virgin/EMI had a hand in it, as there's obviously a compulsion to promote songs from their back catalogue of officially available CDs, making the album partly a "sampler" as opposed to a disc of "rarities".

The initial concept is very worthy. The execution, unfortunately, is awful, because its more of a marketing exercise than an album concept. As a result it falls between two stools.

..and that's all before I even comment on the cover and the atrociously researched sleevenotes.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: March 28, 2008 14:21

I think the cover is cool though.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 28, 2008 14:26

Whyman..?

ROCKMAN

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: March 28, 2008 14:33

Rockman
Whyman..?

Yeeees? What about him?

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: March 28, 2008 14:37

I'm actually quite confused about the version of I Just Want To Make Love To You on here, having still not had a chance to listen to both it and Flashpoint's. The copyright in Rarities says 91, which made me think it was the Flashpoint one, but the description says its from No Security. I was just about to dash out to work this am when I thought to look at it, but now I've still no clue. LOL I'd like to order some of these imports with the missing songs, but I don't want to waste the money if I already have the song elsewhere - like Black LImousine on Stripped. I've all those singles so I don't need that one.

Date: March 28, 2008 14:46

VoodooLounge13
I'm actually quite confused about the version of I Just Want To Make Love To You on here, having still not had a chance to listen to both it and Flashpoint's. The copyright in Rarities says 91, which made me think it was the Flashpoint one, but the description says its from No Security. I was just about to dash out to work this am when I thought to look at it, but now I've still no clue. LOL I'd like to order some of these imports with the missing songs, but I don't want to waste the money if I already have the song elsewhere - like Black LImousine on Stripped. I've all those singles so I don't need that one.

Its 100% definitely the live version from Wembley 6.7.90 which was released on the 'High Wire' CD single in spring 1991.

The version on the Japanese 'No Security' CD comes from Amsterdam 1.7.98 and would probably be considered to be more of a rarity I suppose.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-03-28 14:47 by Gazza.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: March 28, 2008 14:53

"Rarities" is a worthy concept, but the execution renders this album pointless and simply embarrassing. I bought it because I wanted clean CD versions of Through The Lonely Nights and Let It Rock. Fine. But apart from that, there is very little to get excited about. And this from a band who in the early 70s paid for full-page ads in order to warn people not to buy a DECCA compilation Stone Age because it supposedly was not up to the Stones' standarts. Well, Stone Age gave us Europeans three (!) unavailable songs - One More Try, Look What You've Done and Blue Turns To Grey! Amazing how the Stones' quality standarts must have slipped since then.

Date: March 28, 2008 15:12

a comparison I think I've made before, retired_dog. You're absolutely correct. Not only have the Stones' quality standards slipped since then - so have the expectation levels of many fans of the "GRNRBITW".

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: March 28, 2008 15:18

Thanks Gazza for clarifying that song issue for me! I'll be ordering up my NS import now! LOL

Date: March 28, 2008 16:39

As someone posted earlier,I'm pretty sure that Live With Me is not the 1995 b-side version that they claim it is.That version should have been included but,it's the 1998 No Security album version that was actually included for some unknown reason that makes no sense.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 28, 2008 16:58

Although I wouldn't consider it to be rarities maybe more along the lines of...Obscurities

Think I'm Going Mad
Undercover Of The Night - the remix, whatever that one is called
Too Much Blood - the Meanwhile back in the jungle remix...
Harlem Shuffle - the NY mix? The better of the two - not the one on Rarities
One Hit (To The Body) - The London mix - very cool
Fancy Man Blues
Cook Cook Blues
Wish I'd Never Met You
Love Is Strong (Bob Clearmountain remix)
The Storm
So Young
Out Of Tears (Don Was Remix Edit)
Jump On Top Of Me
I'm Gonna Drive
Honest I Do
Saint Of Me - the long remix is cool....
Anyway You Look At It
Don't Stop - Rockmix
Under The Radar
Don't Wanna Go Home

That might be viewed as more of a Rarities if you consider the extended remixes, with exception to Miss You and Harlem Shuffle, Winning Ugly, Mixed Emotions, Rock And A Hard Place and Don't Stop, have not been released on CD. Everything else has been available. But it would be cool to have all of these on one release...

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: March 28, 2008 17:31

Theif in the Night
As someone posted earlier,I'm pretty sure that Live With Me is not the 1995 b-side version that they claim it is.That version should have been included but,it's the 1998 No Security album version that was actually included for some unknown reason that makes no sense.

This is true. It's not the Wild Worses Dutch CD-single verison.
Most of these songs are on the Flashpoint 'Collectables' bonus CD, and the Harlen Shuffle remix on that is WAY better than the craptastic remix found here.
By the way, how the hell is Wild Horses from Stripped a rarity???

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: March 28, 2008 19:37

How about the great Brown sugar (Birthday version w. Clapton) unreleased?!

And 1 or 2 more unreleased songs from 70's/ 80's. Not really rarities in that sense.
But would make such a compilation much more interesting and surprising.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: March 28, 2008 19:52

>As someone posted earlier,I'm pretty sure that Live With Me is not the 1995 b-side version that they claim it is.That version should have been included but,it's the 1998 No Security album version that was actually included for some unknown reason that makes no sense.

You've got it backwards -- the liner notes claim it's from NS but it is in fact the '95 version from the WILD HORSES single.

Date: March 29, 2008 05:29

CousinC
How about the great Brown sugar (Birthday version w. Clapton) unreleased?!

And 1 or 2 more unreleased songs from 70's/ 80's. Not really rarities in that sense.
But would make such a compilation much more interesting and surprising.

thats not a rarity its an unrealesed song or version of a song. nowhere on the package does it say it will contain unreleased stuff. just already released stuff thats hard to find...well most of it is

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: March 29, 2008 05:41

Live With Me from Rarities is the b side of Wild Horses, 1996.

The album is a lame collection, the remixes are out of place, who needs a 7 minutes remix of Mixed Emotions or Harlem Shuffle?
Ridiculous.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 31, 2008 01:04

Harlem Shuffle on Collectibles is the other remix? You can tell I listen to that one a lot eh?

Ummm. Is the version of Wild Horses the edit version? Maybe that's why it's, ha ha, a rarity.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1212
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home