Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Phil Spector walks free??
Posted by: mofur ()
Date: September 27, 2007 11:34

I've just read in a Danish newspaper that Phil Spector's murdercase is dropped because the jury could not agree??

F*ckin' unbelievable!

Anybody have any more information on this? Will he be tried again - or is he simply off the hook? The jury hung instead of him? ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-09-27 11:39 by mofur.

Re: OT: Phil Spector walks free??
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 27, 2007 11:37

News just thru....Possible Retrial

ROCKMAN

Posted by: gerrox ()
Date: September 27, 2007 12:00

he seems to have a totally different wig on every time I see him on the news. pretty schizoid that.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: September 27, 2007 12:56

The news being reported in the States is a mistrial, not an acquittal.

Look for another trial.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: September 27, 2007 13:16

gerrox Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> he seems to have a totally different wig on every
> time I see him on the news. pretty schizoid that.

what is he today, blonde or brunette?

Posted by: luxury man ()
Date: September 27, 2007 13:27

Like OJ, with the right lawyers and enough dough, one can literally "get away with murder."

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: September 27, 2007 14:01

I heard the Jury was 10 for guilty / 2 for aquittal. If you don't get all 12 Bozo's agreeing you will NEVER get a verdict. It should be what the Majority rules (or at least 75% - 9 jury members), not all 12 cause then you get the OJ/MICHAEL JACKSON/ROBERT BLAKE situation over and over. It's all a big joke and that's why I will NEVER sit on a jury, I NEVER get called cause there's a little trick you can do to blow them off (AND IT WORKS !!!). My dentist was telling me today he's gone in 3 times for Jury Duty, Never been picked, but had to cancel days and days of appointments (people with emergency dental problems and massive pain and infections) so he could sit there at the court house all day (along with 100's of others) and be told the next day they won't be using him. What a CIRCUS, they have no respect for people's time and work situation. I say - @#$%& them !!!!

Date: September 27, 2007 15:01

HelterSkelter Wrote:
> It's all a big joke and that's why I will
> NEVER sit on a jury, I NEVER get called cause
> there's a little trick you can do to blow them off
> (AND IT WORKS !!!).

I take it you're American? Well, I'm not and I'm curious to know if - in case you're called to be in a jury - you're told which trial beforehand?

There are probably loads of boring cases where what you write is true - however, if I were to be called in on e.g. Phil Spector's case I'd most certainly go and "do my patriotic chore" ;-)

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: September 27, 2007 17:23

mofur - NO your not told beforehand.

They will tell you, up front if they think it's going to be a long trial,
then you can get out if it's too much of a financial hardship. I've been on a
few 2-4 days at a time. I found it very interesting.

PS - Can't believe (2) of these fools believe Spector bullx$@* story??
This bastard shot this girl in the face, he tell's his Limo driver he did it,
Here's hoping they get (12) new people that have something between their ears,
we missed it by (2) this time..

MLC

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: September 27, 2007 17:31

If you don't mind me commenting, mofur, I'm American, and my experience is that you recieve a notice to report to jury duty. People are then randomly chosen from the jury pool to be interviewed for a particular trial. You don't know what trial until you are interviewed, or you may never be called from the pool at all.

It is possible to be excused from jury duty if you have a legitimate reason. You simply write a letter to the judge explaining your reason, and you will recieve a letter either excusing you or notifying you to report for duty.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: September 27, 2007 17:49

New trial next year. The jury was deadlocked 10-2 in favour of finding him guilty.

Date: September 27, 2007 17:49

MCDDTLC and Edith Grove

Thanks to both of you for enlightning me - always nice to go to bed just a little bit wiser than when you got up ;-)

Posted by: nashville ()
Date: September 27, 2007 18:16

I never really could see the point of jury trials - why not just try people in front of 3 judges and let them decide. If the case is proven or not they are the experts and have the experience to decide that.

Andy

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: September 27, 2007 18:22

The court system in this country is a joke! Look at O.J Simpson! Money CAN buy anything. ( almost). They have a witness that testified Spector came running out of his house, gun still in his hand, muttering " I think I just killed someone". DUH! What part of that screams acquittal?? NO PART! I was hit by a drunk driver, destroyed my left hand, the woman was a BAR OWNER, on a 3 day bender because folks that knew her saw her in the same dress for 3 days, falling down drunk. She got 18 months in jail, is out now, back at her bar and you've got to think DRINKING AGAIN. What kind of justice is that? Drunk drivers get off daily in this country with usually LESS punishment than she got, back out, driving, set to kill and maim again. Is it like this in Europe?

Date: September 27, 2007 18:27

Let me go a bit deeper. When I was a little kid one of the Charlie Manson Jury members lived in the corner house of my street (a cul-de-sac) with his parents (at least part time, he was 20 something I believe). The rest of the Manson family that was not in jail were making death threats to all the families of the people sitting on the jury. As you know the Manson famiy had a history of unbelievable brutality AND doing what they say they were gonna do. Flash forward, there were police cars, unmarked police cars, helicopters, probably FBI, etc etc driving around like his house was a whore house with a free happy hour - you never saw so much police presence in your life. Freaked my little kid ass out TOTALLY AND I wondered if they were gonna get the guy, I believe he had to hide out for awhile, till they broke up the family (I know I never saw him in the "hood" again).

Some of those people are in gangs and are on trial for dealing dope and if you put them away their gang shoots up your house a month later, do a drive by with AK - 47's or something - it's happened MANY times in LA. I don't need it, let them sell drugs, Merck and Phizer do it - I can give a rat's ass. The other problem is they have no respect for anyone. The Lawyers making about $400 (at least) an hour while they tell you to shine on work (I 'm self employed and need to take care of my business FIRST) and go sit for days with 100's of others while they pick 20 or something.... it's all VERY arrogant, so like I said , @#$%& them. I give the MFer's plenty in tax money, that's my "Contribution" to society.......

Posted by: jjflash73 ()
Date: September 27, 2007 18:33

I prefer the US system
"Innocent until proven guilty" which allows bail and a proper defense.

Jury duty is just that, a civic duty.

Can't believe it is hassle to anyone in the States.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: September 27, 2007 18:34

mickschix Wrote:
Is it like this in Europe?

yes for the UK

Posted by: spikey ()
Date: September 27, 2007 18:42

If this isn't proof that the system doesn't work, what is? Unfortunately, the American legal system (but in fairness probably every other system as well) is ripe for abuse.

Date: September 27, 2007 18:46

jj73, in my own case I wouldn't call it a hassle, I just think the whole system is SO twisted that the cancer has eaten through any good it once had - if it did. Look at this DNA thing in Ill. A whole bunch of innocent men (after they did DNA checks) sitting on Death Row - something is very f*cked up with our system, so I just don't wanna be a part of it. I stay on the straight and narrow in my own life, no tickets, no arrests, if I drink I don't drive, don't get into fights, not a trouble maker, and just want to be left alone.....I'd sit on a jury if the system wasn't such a mess, if it was fair....

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: September 27, 2007 18:48

He WILL be retried with a 10/2 outcome. It will be up to the Prosecution to request what charges they want to bring. (And the judge to accept it.) On the first trial, the only choice was 2nd degree murder, but now manslaughter can be considered, which in this case might be easier to get a conviction. However the Prosecution might feel more confident they can correct mistakes they made and leave it at 2nd degree. There will also be a civil trial where Clarkson's family will be asking for millions.

Re: serving on a jury...I have been called to jury duty many times, but only served once and that case was settled before it went to jury. I have one of those (day) jobs where I have to serve if called because I get paid for it, no matter how long the trial is, then again, because of the nature of what I do, someone is usually egar to dismiss me before I get picked...Oh well, such is life in the U.S....but I cannot complain, afterall we get free refills on coffee and soda!

Date: September 27, 2007 18:49

spikey Wrote:
> If this isn't proof that the system doesn't work,
> what is? Unfortunately, the American legal system
> (but in fairness probably every other system as
> well) is ripe for abuse.

Well, yes and no. Celebrities can afford great lawyers, whose job it is to put "reasonable doubt" in the minds of jurors.

I think Spector probably shot Lana Clarkson in the face by accident. She tried to leave and he pulled a gun on her, same as he did with Leonard Cohen, The Ramones and a lot of women. But there was none of Spector's DNA on the gun, only Lana Clarkson's. More reasonable doubt.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-09-27 18:51 by Nikolai.

Date: September 27, 2007 18:55

"BOTTOMLESS CUP" BluzDude, can't beat that, gotta agree with ya 100% (also the 3 medium size one topping pizza's from Domino's for 5 bucks each, NO ONE else has that !! NO ONE, NO WHERE, Not even close - lol).....

Date: September 27, 2007 19:08

Nikolai, I remember reading Spector pulled out a gun at a John Lennon session (Lost Weekend/Rock and Roll sessions around 73, 74 maybe) and shot into the ceiling - freaked everybody out in the studio.... he's a loony dude, it was just a matter of time, that's all.... acting like a gun is a toy but THIS TIME he f-ed up and crossed the line......he'll get off on the next one, just watch....there's always at least one star gazzin' freak show on a jury.... did you see those "pieces of work" from the Jackson jury? How about the insane bitch who released white doves outside the courthouse when Jackson's innocent verdicts were being read? Holy sh*t man, scarry stuff.....Papa always said, Boy, you better learn to moonwalk if you want a fair shake in this here hard life... Papa was right.....

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: September 27, 2007 20:06

luxury man Wrote:
> Like OJ, with the right lawyers and enough dough,
> one can literally "get away with murder."

....and like Robert Blake

Posted by: Jed Clever ()
Date: September 27, 2007 21:27

HelterSkelter Wrote:
> I heard the Jury was 10 for guilty / 2 for
> aquittal. If you don't get all 12 Bozo's agreeing
> you will NEVER get a verdict. It should be what
> the Majority rules (or at least 75% - 9 jury
> members), not all 12 cause then you get the
> OJ/MICHAEL JACKSON/ROBERT BLAKE situation over and
> over. It's all a big joke and that's why I will
> NEVER sit on a jury, I NEVER get called cause
> there's a little trick you can do to blow them off
> (AND IT WORKS !!!). My dentist was telling me
> today he's gone in 3 times for Jury Duty, Never
> been picked, but had to cancel days and days of
> appointments (people with emergency dental
> problems and massive pain and infections) so he
> could sit there at the court house all day (along
> with 100's of others) and be told the next day
> they won't be using him. What a CIRCUS, they have
> no respect for people's time and work situation. I
> say - @#$%& them !!!!

Your attitude and stratagey is a primary reason why jury pools are often comprised of the stupidest people. Smart people have figured out ways to avoid jury duty. So you are as much to blame for the system's failure as anyone. By the way, I am a trial lawyer so I have seen it first hand.

Date: September 27, 2007 21:29

HelterSkelter Wrote:
> Nikolai, I remember reading Spector pulled out a
> gun at a John Lennon session (Lost Weekend/Rock
> and Roll sessions around 73, 74 maybe) and shot
> into the ceiling - freaked everybody out in the
> studio.... he's a loony dude, it was just a matter
> of time, that's all.... acting like a gun is a toy
> but THIS TIME he f-ed up and crossed the
> line......he'll get off on the next one, just
> watch....there's always at least one star gazzin'
> freak show on a jury.... did you see those "pieces
> of work" from the Jackson jury? How about the
> insane bitch who released white doves outside the
> courthouse when Jackson's innocent verdicts were
> being read? Holy sh*t man, scarry stuff.....Papa
> always said, Boy, you better learn to moonwalk if
> you want a fair shake in this here hard life...
> Papa was right.....

I believe Jackson was innocent that time. The case agaimnst him was destroyed, not just by his lawyer, but by the witnesses themselves, who contradicted themselves on the stand. And I'm no fan of the man's (oh, alright, Off The Wall is great and The Jacksons made some incredible singles in the mid to late 70s, but you what I mean).

Yes I heard that about Spector pulling a gun on Lennon. Surprised Lennon put up with it, but then I suppose he put it down to the price of genius.

Spector badly abused his first wife Ronnie. He has a well-documented history of violence involving guns. I'm sure he didn't mean to kill Lana Clarkson, which is where the prosecution dropped the ball. They could put him away for the rest of his life on a manslaughter charge.

Date: September 27, 2007 21:30

Lukester Wrote:
> luxury man Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Like OJ, with the right lawyers and enough
> dough,
> > one can literally "get away with murder."
>
> ....and like Robert Blake

Blake was guilty. But the case against him was weak.

Date: September 27, 2007 21:37

Nikolai Wrote:
> Lukester Wrote:
> -----
> > luxury man Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Like OJ, with the right lawyers and enough
> > dough,
> > > one can literally "get away with murder."
> >
> > ....and like Robert Blake
>
>
> Blake was guilty. But the case against him was
> weak.

...maybe it was a weak case, but his alibi was that he had to go back into the restaurant because he forgot his gun!!!!

Date: September 27, 2007 21:39

Jed Clever Wrote:
> HelterSkelter Wrote:
> -----
> > I heard the Jury was 10 for guilty / 2 for
> > aquittal. If you don't get all 12 Bozo's
> agreeing
> > you will NEVER get a verdict. It should be what
> > the Majority rules (or at least 75% - 9 jury
> > members), not all 12 cause then you get the
> > OJ/MICHAEL JACKSON/ROBERT BLAKE situation over
> and
> > over. It's all a big joke and that's why I will
> > NEVER sit on a jury, I NEVER get called cause
> > there's a little trick you can do to blow them
> off
> > (AND IT WORKS !!!). My dentist was telling me
> > today he's gone in 3 times for Jury Duty, Never
> > been picked, but had to cancel days and days of
> > appointments (people with emergency dental
> > problems and massive pain and infections) so he
> > could sit there at the court house all day
> (along
> > with 100's of others) and be told the next day
> > they won't be using him. What a CIRCUS, they
> have
> > no respect for people's time and work situation.
> I
> > say - @#$%& them !!!!
>
>
> Your attitude and stratagey is a primary reason
> why jury pools are often comprised of the
> stupidest people. Smart people have figured out
> ways to avoid jury duty. So you are as much to
> blame for the system's failure as anyone. By the
> way, I am a trial lawyer so I have seen it first
> hand.

Jed Clever is right, Skelter, everyone should make time to sit on a jury. Let's be part of the solution, not the problem.

Date: September 27, 2007 21:58

Lukester, you know me, I AM part of the solution - that's why I'm working my ass off to be an Expat (at least a 90% expat due to business ties). When the system stops robbing me of my hard earned money through Fed Tax for their bull sh*t oil wars I might join the club again (I guess that means NEVER if you saw the debate last night ... 2013? gimme a break) Naw man, not my job to pay for other people's f*ck ups.... BTW, JURY SOLUTION? Professional Juries OR throw out all the STUPID CASES - Pot growers/sellers, make Prostitution legal AND regulated, on and on.... "NO TIME FOR VICTIMLESS CRIME" - clear out the courtrooms..

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1462
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home