Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Do we all wish for 1981
Posted by: Unmade Bed ()
Date: September 15, 2007 08:30

Ok, so I go to one show each tour since 1989 - with exception of ABB (I went to two). What grabs me at every show is some glimpse of what they were on the 81/82 tour. More specifically, Let's Spend The Night Together. This was my introduction to The Rolling Stones. I'm probably not explaining myself. There is something that sneaks out from the commercial aspect. Something that is rebellious, lacivious and sexy.

I have enjoyed every show I've seen and rank all amongst the best. Though, I rank Steel Wheels among the worst. Voodoo Lounge and Licks would have to be the best. B2B would have to be the most confusing.

Anyways, don't know the point of this one.

They have their moments. I'm glad to be there every once in awhile.

Re: Do we all wish for 1981
Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: September 15, 2007 20:57

1981? That's probably their worst sounding year as far as live performances go. I have a few tapes from that year and I can't stomach to listen to them.

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: September 15, 2007 21:02

Love the '81 tour...also some of the first shows

Posted by: CaledonianGonzo ()
Date: September 15, 2007 21:05

You just wish that you were still you in 1981. As someone too young (and too European) to have seen them then, if I could go back in time to witness a particular vintage, I'd take the 1969. So, in a word, no.

Date: September 15, 2007 21:13

I appreciate the 81/82 tours much more now than at the time I must admit.
Back then I thought they were doing a very bad "Ramones" impression... one version of the Ramones was enough for me.

They rushed through their setlist with rapid fire succession... I know many fans on this board would love to hear them play 25-26 songs a show now for over 2 hours.
and people complain about Keef's performance and health now??????
One 1981 show I saw, Keef was lying down on Charlie's drum rise and Micked had to kick him in the arse to get him to stand up!!
The rumour was that Keef was on something that night...
ya think? lol
In all 6 ABB shows I saw, Keef had energy played well.

Re: 1981
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 15, 2007 22:16

just to make sure i'm picturing the logistics of this properly:
how did he manage to kick Keith in the arse while he was lying on the drum riser - could we have a diagram, please?
[scratching head] was he lying on his side, facing Charlie? odd :E

meanwhile, i don't "wish for" 81, i just dig it.
(if i were living in a universe where the 81 tour sounded bad,
i believe i would off myself. that must be hell.)

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 15, 2007 22:28

CaledonianGonzo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You just wish that you were still you in 1981.

Everyone here is nostalic for the year in which they first caught "Stones Fever", and yeah, everyone would like to be 18 or 21 again or however old they were when they first saw the Stones because those were good times and the Stones were the soundtrack for all of that, but if any Stones tour has been the template for all subsequent tours, it's probably Steel Wheels.

Date: September 15, 2007 22:31

>> Everyone here <<

nah ... some of us find it's alllll riiiiight now - in fact ... :E

Posted by: oldkr ()
Date: September 15, 2007 22:39

nah not 81- although in the NY Times reviews they quote fans as saying they were disappointed and it sounded like the band were asleep! sound familiar?

OLDKR

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 15, 2007 23:46

Micked had to kick him in the arse to get him to stand up!!......

Butt Hey what a love affair....It's really something when one
can give and one take a kick in the arse....But ONLY a Glimmer Twin could do it

ROCKMAN

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: September 16, 2007 02:05

89 the worst? are you kidding me, steel wheels is the best of the vegas tours imho, at least they still had bill

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 16, 2007 04:38

true, but thats more than counterbalanced by the fact that they also had Matt Clifford...

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: September 16, 2007 04:59

All the Vegas tours stand MILES above the 81-82 tour..Just listen to the tapes...thesese were the worst shows ever.
I cant understand why everyone like them show much....every show dialed in...just listen to the tapes,

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: September 16, 2007 07:38

Wish i was 2 years older in '81. Then i'd have been there!

Date: September 16, 2007 08:31

with sssoul Wrote:
> just to make sure i'm picturing the logistics of
> this properly:
> how did he manage to kick Keith in the arse while
> he was lying on the drum riser - could we have a
> diagram, please?
> was he lying on his side, facing Charlie?

He was to Charlie's front-right, on the edge with his feet almost on the stage if not planted on the stage. Great target for Mick!
smiling smiley

Date: September 16, 2007 09:29

In 89 I longed for 81 but...Let's spend the night together was never better than 97....and since 81 their playing has been tighter.... the guitars were way too much distorted to make up for poor playing...maybe a precaution after 78...

Posted by: kees ()
Date: September 16, 2007 14:08

stone-relics: listen to the tapes? Most shows have been released fortunately in great raw soundboard. Any 81 show above any show from 89 and on. Except maybe a few of the club gigs during the Licks tour, but only because of their set lists, not their rock and roll power

Date: September 16, 2007 14:16

>> He was to Charlie's front-right, on the edge with his feet almost on the stage
if not planted on the stage <<

okay thanks - so he was on "Ronnie's side"? maybe Mick thought it was Ronnie.
(i'm joking! although ... :E )
was this during a number or between numbers?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-09-16 14:20 by with sssoul.

Date: September 16, 2007 16:23

stone-relics Wrote:
> All the Vegas tours stand MILES above the 81-82
> tour..Just listen to the tapes...thesese were the
> worst shows ever.
> I cant understand why everyone like them show
> much....every show dialed in...just listen to the
> tapes,

Not to mention Mick looking RIDICULOUS in those football pants!

Date: September 16, 2007 16:27

MAINOFFENDER_2000 Wrote:
> In 89 I longed for 81 but...Let's spend the night
> together was never better than 97....and since 81
> their playing has been tighter.... the guitars
> were way too much distorted to make up for poor
> playing...maybe a precaution after 78...

In 81 I longed for 78.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 16, 2007 16:32

Aaaahhhh 1981! What a year. 20 years old and single.

My very first Stones show. Tons of fun, but sloppy as hell as far as the music went. Nice to see the boys sharing a mike. Lots of songs - some of which I haven't seen since (Let It Bleed, Black Limosine, Let Me Go, etc.).

Is the band better now than then? It depends. Kinda like choosing between different women - all good, just different.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: September 16, 2007 18:18

Yes, yes we wish for 1981.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: September 16, 2007 21:00

81-82, the last rock n roll tour, but no complaints here, i would rather have the vegas stones of 89 to present than no stones at all

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: September 17, 2007 03:36

1981 tour is one of my favorites. They had a new hit record, played a bunch of songs from it, played many songs they had never done and some from the 60s that weren't played in many years. And Keith and Ronnie were still doing back up vocals.

"All the Vegas tours stand MILES above the 81-82 tour..Just listen to the tapes...thesese were the worst shows ever. I cant understand why everyone like them show much....every show dialed in...just listen to the tapes"

Listen to Arizona, Hampton or Detroit and tell me those shows sound dialed in. I feel this is what I don't like about more recent tours. They sound dialed in and the band relies too much on backing muscians.

Posted by: forligan ()
Date: September 17, 2007 10:04

I was in Buffalo in 81 and thought it was a poor show. Never liked the athletic thing Jagger was wearing or the stage set either. Was also there in '78, which in mho, was much better, Jagger really rocked in that red plastic outfit, a tshirt with a swastika that read DESTROY. By the way it was called Rich Stadium then. and Steel Wheels was actually quite good after such a long layoff even if it became a bit much with props and such.
from all the dvds I have my pick if I could go back in time would be
1) 69 tour
2) 78 again!!
3) 72 tour.
4) Toronto in 66 I think it was
5) Voodoo Lounge

How bout you? which tour?

Date: September 17, 2007 12:17

IMO, the 89/90 tour was a good one. Even with Matt Clifford. Keith played well, tried out new stuff (The Silhouettes and the Tele with nylon strings), the setlists were good and the band was superb

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: September 17, 2007 13:39

81 Tour ? With the silly VERY 80's stage and those God awful football outfits Mick wore ? It's like the "HAPPY FACE LOLLIPOP" tour, all bright colors and NO dark edge what-so-ever, No GIMME SHELTER, No SYMPATHY, No PAINT IT BLACK, No MIDNIGHT RAMBLER... needed a couple more EMOTIONAL RESCUE songs (Maybe SUMMER ROMANCE, DOWN IN THE HOLE, SEND HER TO ME and DANCE pt. 1) and a few less SOME GIRLS songs (still played 1/2 of the album - great album but was covered nicely on the 78 tour - all but 2 songs).

The 1969 tour was tops and then the entire 70's string of shows were great. Stones were still the Stones and Mick wasn't doing a parody of himself yet. 69 was great because it was JUST THE BAND (with Ian Stewart) and as real and raw as they ever were - in fact, they were LIVEr than you'll ever be - lol...... So yeah, we all wish for 1981 to go away... Except for Micks very short haircut, STEEL WHEELS was much better, a much better set list for starters.....

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: September 17, 2007 14:31

Yeah but if we listen to the music, 1981 rocked.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: September 17, 2007 17:20

In '81 as we all know they went corporate, they had an sponsor and everything became openly business. Suddenly it became "safe" to go catch a Stones concert, you can bring the kids.

Something was gone then, but it has to do a lot with me as both the Stones and I were growing.

Posted by: David700 ()
Date: September 17, 2007 17:34

man that '81 show was kinda dissappointing playing "Black Limo" boring....89 was fantastic! lots of surprises from all over their career including "One Hit" which they dropped after toronto, "UnderCover" "Harlen Shuffle" "Time Is On My Side" and the biggest treat of that tour "2,000 light years..'
d

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1726
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home