Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Todd Rundgren
Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: September 13, 2007 02:56

I'm going to see Todd Rundgren tomorrow in San Francisco. I'm not a huge Rundgren fan,but I have a ladyfriend who is and wants to take me. How can I say no. I saw him once many years ago. He wasn't very good. Running through a bunch of unknown songs. Mocking the audience by saying here's another one you won't recognize.
But I guess from what I've read,he's taking a break in between shows with The New Cars. He's doing a brief west coast tour. The reviews I've read so far have been pretty good. Here's a setlist from Anaheim,the other night.

Set list:
Buffalo Grass
I Hate My Frickin’ I.S.P.
Black Maria
Soul Brother
Mammon
Fascist Christ
I Saw The Light
Black and White
Lunatic Fringe
No. 1 Lowest Common Denominator
Drive
Tiny Demons
Mystified/Broke Down and Busted
S.L.U.T.
The Walls Came Down
One World

Encore:
Hawking
Worldwide Epiphany

Anybody seen him solo lately?

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Re: Todd Rundgren
Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: September 13, 2007 04:21

I saw him as the lead singer of the Cars this summer and he did a great job. He did a few solo songs as well.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: September 13, 2007 04:26

I saw him at the Roxy. In '78.

I thought he was pretty good.

I was just thinking of him while reading some of the names in the "Top 5 Bands" thread. Some people listed artists like Bob Dylan--who isn't a "band" at all. But Todd is one solo artist who could be considered a "band" since he's played all the instruments on many of his records.

I'm sure a lot of people on this board would love to see a Stones show where they ditch the warhorses and play "unknown" songs. And they'd probably love the part where Jagger mocked them about it.

I haven't kept up with him in recent years--and I only know a couple of songs from that setlist. His core audience considers him a genius, so he can pretty much do whatever he wants. I say good for him.

Date: September 13, 2007 04:31

Yeah loog droog. Todd is one of those guys who has a cult like following. It's one thing to travel from city to city to follow the stones. It's another to follow Rundgren. But from what I've been reading about him lately,there are many who do.

By the way the setist I posted is courtesy of a website called ToddRundgrenconnection.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-09-13 06:38 by sweetcharmedlife.

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: September 13, 2007 05:13

hey charmer, I saw him as the headliner of a big stadium show in Chapel Hill in 1982. A very young U2 blew him off the stage......but Todd does have some great songs like, Real Man, I Saw The Light, Hello It's Me, and We Got To Get You A Woman....and then he also did that not so great,I Don't Want To Work I Just Want To Bang On The Drums All Day.......hopefully he'll play something you recognize....I've always liked Todd....

Date: September 13, 2007 06:29

Thanks for the well wishes Lukester. I posted a setlist I saw from about 2 days ago. Honestly,not much I recognize off that list. But,like I said. A lovely lady is taking yours truly to TR. It's at a small venue in the city and that more than anything else is the selling point these days.
Also Fri.night I'm heading out to see Alice in Chains/Velvet Revolver with a buddy who's a big AIC fan. I won those tickets on a local radio station. So I got two shows with little risk and high (HIGH) promise both ways. Full reports are promised. It's gonna be a r&r weekend.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-09-13 06:39 by sweetcharmedlife.

Posted by: thewho ()
Date: September 13, 2007 07:07

I'm headed to the same show tomorrow night in SF. Hoping that it will be a good show, don't think it will be bad because he is so talented and he is doing the show more for fun than any financial reasons I would think(only $20/ticket?!).

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: September 13, 2007 09:31

''A Dream Goes on forever'' great tune...i have some albums....i guess i like his music.

Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: September 13, 2007 10:32

ToDD is someone i can never get into, but then you hear something like "It Wouldn't Have Made Any Difference" or " I Saw the Light" again, one of the most perfect 3mins of music ever and you try again.

As for following bands around that down t who who you think is worth following, be it the stones or Todd or some cult band. For me its Glasgow band Teenage Fanclub, but its social as much as anything, meeting friends etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-09-13 10:35 by Nanker Phlegm.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: September 13, 2007 10:44

Not really ny cup of tea...but mention of him always sends my mind back to Knebworth ;^)

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 13, 2007 13:25

Saw him in Ringo's All-Starr Band a few years ago - he played "Bang The Drum" and another one that I didn't know (I was hoping for "Hello It's Me). Hope ya enjoy, sweet.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: September 13, 2007 14:55

Listen to "A Wizard, A True Star". Every instrument is played by Todd. It use to be a fav of mine back in high school...with the bong.

Date: September 13, 2007 15:24

....hey custom55, is that Todd's album of covers, in which he played cover songs to sound exactly (well, almost) like the originals? I remember he did "Good Vibrations" and it sounded just like the Beach Boys, and he also did a Hendrix tune, I think it was "If Six Was Nine."....I remember listening to that in high school too......with the bong.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: September 13, 2007 16:08

It was called "Faithful" and had one side covers and the other originals.

Date: September 13, 2007 22:05

..thanks loog, somehow I knew you would know.....I forgot it had one side of originals.......damn bong....

Date: September 15, 2007 03:06

Here is my review of last night's Todd Rundgren show in San Francisco. Like I said before,I'm not a huge TR fan. But,nowadays seeing a name act in a small venue is always appealing to me. Those are my favorite type of shows these days. Good show. No doubt Todd is a talented musician and I give him credit for putting together this little mini tour just to excercise his creativity a bit as it were. The setlist was pretty close to the one I posted a couple of days ago. Which meant that I didn't recognize most of the songs and since the vocal mix seemed a bit low from where I was standing,it was hard to clearly make out the lyrics anyway. But the playing was very good. Rundgren playing mostly lead guitar. Sounding and looking very good on most of his solos. Since I was standing in the middle of the floor about 3 deep from the stage I had a very good view of his playing. Very good band with him. Kassim Sultan on Bass,Praire Prince on drums and a second guitar player Jesse Gress. A pretty straight forward guitar driven sound. They were pretty tight with a lot of extended jams. Highlight of the night by far. Black Mariah,with the killer guitar riff. Funniest thing said by Todd all night. "For those of you who came to hear Just What I Needed,well sorry".....On to see Alice in Chains tonight.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-09-15 03:15 by sweetcharmedlife.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: December 24, 2007 20:03

Playing a few dates in the American Midwest end of January. Some VERY small venues, too.

Posted by: luxury man ()
Date: December 24, 2007 20:09

Couldn't I Just Tell You...one of his best efforts IMO

Posted by: R ()
Date: December 24, 2007 22:44

tatters Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Playing a few dates in the American Midwest end of
> January. Some VERY small venues, too.

Because he can't sell the big ones anymore. I saw him solo a few years ago and he was a complete a-hole. Snarky and rude to the audience. We left early and we were w/ friends who were major fans. It was THEIR idea to go.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1887
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home