Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Most Famous Rolling Stones fans
Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: October 1, 2007 21:14

Works hard, that poor bloke. And no connection from his home.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: October 1, 2007 21:16

Stevie Tyler and Little Steven are huge Stones fans!

Date: October 1, 2007 21:16

little queenie Wrote:
---
> i've made a lot of friends on this board and am
> very grateful.

Same here, LQ... Very nice place.
I have piles of friendly gifts which kind folks have poured over me...
What can a poor boy do?

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 1, 2007 21:18

Baboon Bro Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Works hard, that poor bloke. And no connection
> from his home.

Ah, PoorKentFlash..

Date: October 1, 2007 21:23

But he has a fairly good working place, he showed us this summer,
kinda grocery storage. Nice workin' mates.
Peculiar town, his, BTW.. Absolutely most puzzling traffic system I ever saw
this side Dublin or Göteborg.

Posted by: David700 ()
Date: October 1, 2007 22:52

i am famous in my own mind.
sometimes i don't even phone myself back

Posted by: oldkr ()
Date: October 1, 2007 23:03

stonesdoug and I have been in the New York Times and readers digest!!! and doug was featured in atlantic city weekly!

OLDKR

Date: October 2, 2007 02:57

Most famous Rolling Stones fan? It's gotta be me!! I'm a legend in my own mind!!

Scotty

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: November 5, 2007 09:53

what about blondie?? Deborah and diana ross likes the stones when she is drinking...amy like the stones to!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-11-05 10:10 by rooster.

Date: November 5, 2007 09:56

Rocky (stallone) went to the anaheim show...so did linda ronstadt she didnt see a thing btw see the R&S magazine interview

Date: November 5, 2007 10:09

thor Wrote:
> Jack Nicholson?

funny thing is ...his name in one flew over the... is Mac!!!

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: November 5, 2007 10:27

oldkr Wrote:
> stonesdoug and I have been in the New York Times
> and readers digest!!! and doug was featured in
> atlantic city weekly!

but you're not famous

Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: November 5, 2007 14:24

Adrian-L Wrote:
> oldkr Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > stonesdoug and I have been in the New York
> Times
> > and readers digest!!! and doug was featured in
> > atlantic city weekly!
>
> but you're not famous

HAHA, LOL!!

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: November 5, 2007 14:58

sad but true: david hasselhof is a big stones fun...haha he obviously got inspired by keith and ronnies drinking habbits.....

Notable Stones Fans
Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: January 18, 2020 22:09

Watching ‘A Grand Night In - The Story of Aardman’ today, which included a clip of Bill Nighy, who once voiced one of their characters. He said that Aardman inspired his British patriotism much as the Stones do. Surprised and tickled to learn this, I later Googled and found several articles mentioning his love of the Stones, including:

“Why do I prefer the Rolling Stones to Shakespeare?" Bill Nighy, resplendent in the sort of straight-legged suit that Mick Jagger might have sported in the 60s, pours himself a coffee in a studio in Chelsea and considers why (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction means more to him than The Bard's "i-am-bic pen-tam-eters". "Well," says the man who boasts a lovely turn of phrase, impeccable manners and a sense of the absurd, "it's like Sir Keith Richards would say about Mozart: the trouble with Mozart is he hasn't got a drummer. I would say much the same thing about Shakespeare."

[www.theguardian.com]

I’m sure the ‘Sir’ was tongue-in-cheek...

Other findings include an audio clip explaining why he was disqualified from being in the Rolling Stones...

[www.bbc.co.uk]

...and his favourite Stones album...

Time is running out, but there is one last thing I’ve been longing to ask Bill Nighy. I’ve read that he loves The Rolling Stones (as do I), but I can’t understand how his favourite album could be the dismal Goats Head Soup. “Oh come on, it’s pretty good. ‘Coming Down Again’ is pretty cool, and ‘Winter’ is on it,” he says, picking two of the most depressing songs in the whole Stones canon. He says there is a great line in “Winter”: “the Restoration plays have all gone round”, which, I say, sounds wrong. This leads to him telling me that for many years he has been getting a Dylan song wrong. He breaks into a perfect, breathy, nasal whine, and sings for me, “If it hasn’t got you killed/ it’s either fortune or fame/ it must be one or the other /though neither of them are to be what they claim”. Whereas actually the lyric was, and he sings it again: “Up on housing project hill/ it’s either fortune or fame …” As he sings, I witness a peculiar transformation. Nighy is no longer the reclusive, troubled, frail man I’ve almost been feeling sorry for this past hour. Hey presto, he’s the nation’s favourite male sexpot.

[www.ft.com]

What other notable Stones fans are out there?

Re: Notable Stones Fans
Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: January 18, 2020 22:27

In The Netherlands, we had Boudewijn Buch, but he's been dead, for rather a long time now. He wrote a book called Letters To Mick Jagger, and even interviewed the man in 1987.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-18 22:27 by SomeGuy.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: January 18, 2020 22:57

Thanks for sharing the Shakespeare piece. Probably a minority opinion but to me, Hide Your Love and Can You Hear The Music are standout achievements that put the album ahead of IORR. All of it is worthwile and there's a coherent mood throughout.
Oh and all the loons on this site should be considered notable Stones fans. I've met some who are not online, like that bearded french guy (his name escapes me) who keeps his little notebook with the 300 shows in it. In Stockholm I also met that cool lady from Japan who sadly passed away recently.
There's also Peter from Germany who tours with a folding bicycle in the back of his van. He always managed to arrange last minute tickets for me and helped me get home when I was strapped from cash, stranded in Scandinavia. He's been at all the club shows. He looks like the prototype Stones fan with long white hair and round glasses. Always wears a pink 'The Rolling Stones miss You' shirt. Surely some of you guys have met him too.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: January 19, 2020 15:18

SomeGuy
In The Netherlands, we had Boudewijn Buch, but he's been dead, for rather a long time now. He wrote a book called Letters To Mick Jagger, and even interviewed the man in 1987.

And he asked him the legendary question “why does the word blue appear in so many of your lyrics?”

Date: January 19, 2020 16:26

Koen
SomeGuy

And he asked him the legendary question “why does the word blue appear in so many of your lyrics?”

I forgot about that smiling smiley
But he did elicit an interesting response when he asked about the future of The Stones: Jagger said that if Primitive Cool would be succesful, there would be no more Stones. And that, when Jagger had explicitly stated that he would not answer Stones related questions.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: January 19, 2020 16:43

Patrick Stewart is a fan. I first saw him at the Barcelona show in 2007, then at the O2 in 2012 and again in Marseilles in 2018. I would guess that he probably went to various other shows as well.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: January 19, 2020 18:38

SomeGuy
Koen
SomeGuy

But he did elicit an interesting response when he asked about the future of The Stones: Jagger said that if Primitive Cool would be succesful, there would be no more Stones. And that, when Jagger had explicitly stated that he would not answer Stones related questions.

BB for sure was an interesting guy. He wrote some interesting stuff and had an equally interesting TV travelling series. But ... I wouldn't call him a notable Stones fan. He had some facial similarities with Mick Jagger and once told that he sort of was in love with Jagger. He also claimed that he was at the first ever concert of the Stones in the Kurhaus, but in fact he wasn't! He knew how to use the media. Him interviewing Mick Jagger really was fun to watch though! Mick had to "put him in relax mode" because to start with he could hardly speak being very, very nervous. Funny guy.

Date: January 19, 2020 19:10

georgie48
SomeGuy
Koen
SomeGuy

BB for sure was an interesting guy. He wrote some interesting stuff and had an equally interesting TV travelling series. But ... I wouldn't call him a notable Stones fan. He had some facial similarities with Mick Jagger and once told that he sort of was in love with Jagger. He also claimed that he was at the first ever concert of the Stones in the Kurhaus, but in fact he wasn't! He knew how to use the media. Him interviewing Mick Jagger really was fun to watch though! Mick had to "put him in relax mode" because to start with he could hardly speak being very, very nervous. Funny guy.

That story reminds me of Matt Sweeney, a lovely guy, and good guitarist. He gets around; he also hosts a show on youtube about guitar players. He gets with them one on one and hangs out, plays, talks, drinks etc.
He did one segment on Keith, and I have rarely seen someone so nervous. He was just drenched in sweat; couldn't talk right. Keith did the same thing, and really put him at ease.

Date: January 19, 2020 20:49

georgie48
SomeGuy
Koen
SomeGuy

Boudewijn sure had a way of making his life story up, but I have no doubt that he was probably the biggest Stones fan in the country. When he became more known to the public, the Stones were more to the background, both as a band as such at the time and in his tv shows, as he had a couple of other interests that he was equally fanatical about (travel, Goethe, collecting old books).

Date: January 20, 2020 01:09

Beast
Patrick Stewart is a fan. I first saw him at the Barcelona show in 2007, then at the O2 in 2012 and again in Marseilles in 2018. I would guess that he probably went to various other shows as well.

Note to self: hang out more with Beast. grinning smiley

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: January 20, 2020 01:16

Well, Martin Scorsese is an obvious one.

Jack Nicholson appears to be a big fan.

Did not know about Sir Patrick Stewart...as if I couldn't love that man more.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 20, 2020 01:23

BV …..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: January 20, 2020 16:02

Ian Rankin, whose Stones fandom occasionally shows up in his mystery novels.

Salman Rushdie, too [www.theguardian.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-20 16:04 by Green Lady.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: January 20, 2020 16:03

Stephen King is a Stones fan...he's referenced their music quite often in his writing.

Date: January 20, 2020 16:16

I guess Martin Scorsese has made his fandom known. Depp, I think, is more a Keith fan.

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: January 20, 2020 16:47

John McEnroe ...

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1895
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home