Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 8 of 10
Re: KEITH SHOULD APOLOGIZE TO 02 ATTENDEES
Posted by: mortonjorton ()
Date: August 30, 2007 10:55

OK, ok, calm down girls.

Look we're all Stones fans on this forum, but some of us are a little more.....realistic than others. keith may well have been the worlds greatest rock n roller, the Stones may well have been the worlds greatest rock band, but they just arn't any more. But we dont go to see them because we think they are the greatest in the world, we go because we love being at a Stones gig. We love the atmosphere, the people and of course the music.

but face facts. keith isnt half the player he was 10 years ago. His hands and fingers are knackered. Thats just life, sad but true, but he still gets up and plays.

He did a storming 'you got the silver' at Wembley in 99, on his own, on a stool, with a bottleneck. 8 years later, he just cant do it. face it, its the truth. But we still go, not to hear the excellence of keiths playing, because we love being at a Stones gig.

Look, you wouldnt stop going to see a well loved grandad just because he couldnt chase a football round the garden any more, or 'demand an apology'because he didnt take you to the match because he cant see to drive the car any more....you'd still love him, but you'd accept the limitations which 'growing old' has placed on him.

Now.......just calm down, and enough with the insults

Posted by: loochie ()
Date: August 30, 2007 12:26

FrankM Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> VOODOODENTIST Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > MOST OF YOU ARE INDEED MORONS WITH THE INSULTS
> > I WAS MERELY EXPRESSING MY OPINIONS AS MANY
> OTHER
> > HAVE AND HAVE A RIGHT TO DO
>
> Yes you have the right to state your opinion but
> perhaps if you had bought up the subject in a
> nicer way instead of demanding an apology from
> Keith more people would try to see your point of
> view.
>
ya, i agree with frankm - we all have our opinions but it also matters a lot HOW you state them, and it also helps to know your audience ;-) A certain number of us here think that keith is one of the best human beings on the planet, so when someone has the audacity to post a title like you did (plus, you have to lose all the CAPS, it makes you look like a troll) it makes us rather upset and we have to stand by our man. anyway that's why i told you to piss off.

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: August 30, 2007 12:44

Mortonjorton,

Wise words indeed. The truth, infact.

And my gripe is that he DIDN'T play the same two songs each night at Wembley in 1999 - so, I never got to hear Keith playing YGTS on the Satuarday. He still hasn't apologised to me!

Dear largeLangerie (Lisa's?)

Mick J has a permanently worried look on his face cos he's never quite sure which part of any simple song is going to be screwed up next by which guitarist. I think they do it on purpose to niggle him!

And you think Wanna Hold You is at an acceptable level? On Sunday he played the opening chords and a short solo. Acceptable? Heck, i'm glad I've not an unacceptable version!

Here we have the once Greatest R&R guitarist, the "Human Riff", doing a solo set and reduced to being a fine (and portly) vaudeville singer, with guitar as prop (one song), doing a bit of "stand-up" banter and a cigarette gaff.

The crowd cheer and cheer in adulation. Very moving. He is moved by how much they love him. But Keith - it's NOT for your guitar-playing.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: August 30, 2007 12:52

mortonjorton Wrote:
> OK, ok, calm down girls.
>
> Look we're all Stones fans on this forum, but some
> of us are a little more.....realistic than others.
> keith may well have been the worlds greatest rock
> n roller, the Stones may well have been the worlds
> greatest rock band, but they just arn't any more.
> But we dont go to see them because we think they
> are the greatest in the world, we go because we
> love being at a Stones gig. We love the
> atmosphere, the people and of course the music.
>
> but face facts. keith isnt half the player he was
> 10 years ago. His hands and fingers are knackered.
> Thats just life, sad but true, but he still gets
> up and plays.
>
> He did a storming 'you got the silver' at Wembley
> in 99, on his own, on a stool, with a bottleneck.
> 8 years later, he just cant do it. face it, its
> the truth. But we still go, not to hear the
> excellence of keiths playing, because we love
> being at a Stones gig.
>
> Look, you wouldnt stop going to see a well loved
> grandad just because he couldnt chase a football
> round the garden any more, or 'demand an
> apology'because he didnt take you to the match
> because he cant see to drive the car any
> more....you'd still love him, but you'd accept the
> limitations which 'growing old' has placed on
> him.
>
> Now.......just calm down, and enough with the
> insults

Amen

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: August 30, 2007 12:56

Keith does not play much rhythm these days he noodles for much of the show and plays the same slides and chuck berry fills. Playing in Open Tunings is not hard and using a capo to change the key has been in his bag of tricks since the
1972/1973 tour. keith could not play bar chords because of the drugs and he had to use a capo with open tunings. For the average fan yes when keith plays an open chord it sounds thunderous but in reality all he is doing is playing five strings with two fingers and sometimes we make him out to be a better player then he really is. Playing the whole show playing bar chords and standard chords is much harder and requires more focus and attention as a player.

posing in open tunings is easy and sad to watch.

play that guitar boy

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: August 30, 2007 13:05

KEITH don't be bothered with this thread. Voodoo dentist just likes to be painful, after all he is a dentist...

Can I remind you Voodoodentist that many bands play always the same songs during hundreds of shows ?? they change nothing, pronounce the same words between songs.
Mick makes the effort to speak in all languages...
Keith is not the singer of the band. He has just a few songs to offer.

Posted by: loochie ()
Date: August 30, 2007 13:06

mortonjorton Wrote:
> OK, ok, calm down girls.
>

careful honey, there are lots of us girls on this board too ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-08-30 14:59 by loochie.

Date: August 30, 2007 14:02

Toomuchforme,

It's not the same thing, Darling.

This was a special week, in Home Town, End of tour in front of many hard-core fans.

On previous tours he's nearly always alternated his sets, ESPECIALLY if doing two nights in same city. (cf Glasgow Licks, Dublin Licks).

So, dear Watson, it is not unreasonable for fans to expect a bit of variety to their musical diet, from someone whom they adulate in spite of his weakening technical abilities.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: August 30, 2007 14:49

Lukester Wrote:
> ....where's the love?....everyone is so quick to
> pick the flesh off each other's bones.....to
> answer a few questions, I am told the SOURCe is in
> fact, the source....the voodoodentist is a caring
> human being who chose not to be a brain surgeon
> for family reasons, and the plexigalss guy is,
> well,....how do I say this politely, a guy who has
> a lame name........

Well Lukester, I don't know "the plexigalss" guy of whom you speak.

But I do know The Plexiglass guy, and had you been at the Pilot, you might have met him too and been enlightened to the Way of THE PLEXIGLASS. Or were you there??

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: August 30, 2007 14:56

OpenG. Try a gig for a change?

Posted by: NickB ()
Date: August 30, 2007 15:25

Jesus Christ all I read is a bunch of whingers. Get over it. Keith don't need to apologise and I ain't a bootlicker neither. Thursday @ the O2 was awesome. Probably the 2nd best show I have seen and I've been to 11 Stones gigs since 1990.

If you're bored of Keith playing the same songs every night I have an answer for you. Go to one show only and spend your money going to see other bands. You might broaden your musical horizons. For pity's sake they're only a rock n roll band. It's not the end of the world. You better get this in context with your life coz otherwise you'll be sadly disappointed as nothing will meet with your expectations not matter what the price is.

Remember you were the sucker for buying the tickets in the first place. Don't come on here and whinge about it if it doesn't meet with your insanely high standards.

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Date: August 30, 2007 15:56

"insanely high standards"?!

I'm not whinging by the way. I went to one show and was happy. But for those who went to 2 or three - you are telling them they have "insanely high standards" to expect Keith to vary his set in a string of three closely consecutive dates at the same venue. He changed things around fequently on Licks.

They were suckers for buying tickets? maybe you are right. But what does that make the Stones?

I can understand the disappointment. We have to expect no special standards from a Keith set? I suppose we do now.

He changed things around a bit in the States on this tour, btw. London's his home town.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 30, 2007 15:58

Good point. Variety is the spice of life. He played Happy in Nijmegen so why couldn't he have played it in London. Why did the Stones bother playing three different sets in many towns on the Licks tour if they are not aware of fans wanting to hear different songs? It's sheer laziness. We the fans demand more.

Date: August 30, 2007 15:59

"Go to one show only and spend your money going to see other bands. You might broaden your musical horizons. For pity's sake they're only a rock n roll band. It's not the end of the world."

Can't be said ANY better!

These threads are only written to get a reaction anyhow......

Date: August 30, 2007 16:03

Hey, ablett you Genius, you have just reacted.

Aren't all threads are written to get a reaction, Einstein?

Date: August 30, 2007 16:07

Put yer handbag away!

You know exactly what I'm stating

These threads have nothing to say except cause a NEGATIVE reaction and get everyones back up.

Date: August 30, 2007 16:18

ablett - i would rather spend my money watching a band like pearl jam live
and watch a real rhythm guitarist stone gossard and Mick McCready tear up the place.

play that guitar boy

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: August 30, 2007 16:38

OpenG Wrote:
> ablett - i would rather spend my money watching a
> band like pearl jam live
> and watch a real rhythm guitarist stone gossard
> and Mick McCready tear up the place.
>
> Pearl Jam? It's a wonderful world that we can be so different...

Posted by: DoughboyUK ()
Date: August 30, 2007 16:54

OpenG Wrote:
> Keith does not play much rhythm these days he
> noodles for much of the show and plays the same
> slides and chuck berry fills. Playing in Open
> Tunings is not hard and using a capo to change the
> key has been in his bag of tricks since the
> 1972/1973 tour. keith could not play bar chords
> because of the drugs and he had to use a capo with
> open tunings. For the average fan yes when keith
> plays an open chord it sounds thunderous but in
> reality all he is doing is playing five strings
> with two fingers and sometimes we make him out to
> be a better player then he really is. Playing the
> whole show playing bar chords and standard chords
> is much harder and requires more focus and
> attention as a player.
>
> posing in open tunings is easy and sad to watch.
>
> play that guitar boy

In a way you are right - but i disagree with the general statement.
Keef was acclaimed a few years ago as being in the top 5 of world rythem guitarists...
He earned his place cos he was good and whether his style or not suits - it has to be said that if keef had played power chords or bar chords with more focus as you request, then the stones sound would be totally different as we know it.
you may have even started calling them "the Rolling Quo"!
All these put downs baffle me - we as fans are "invited" to listen to their music and if we like it, then listen more - go and see shows, etc...
It cannot be a requirement that a band on this scale is dictated to by a handfull of hardcore fans - wanting "special" priveliges..
Keefs fingers are F**KED - thats not thru drugs or picking his nose - its thru commiting them to years of hard playing to give us fans 40+ years of good music.
Its a big sacrifice - especially as the pain will get worse in later life.
So who are you to criticise his playing?..
much the same as me - a fan with another view..

Dog

Date: August 30, 2007 17:01

Says it all OpenG! You'd rather watch Pearl Jam than the stones!

So why contribute here?

Posted by: Thru and Thru ()
Date: August 30, 2007 17:05

VOODOODENTIST Wrote:
> All this BS about Keith crying about a review in
> Sweden! So he had a bad night...don't we all!
> However... Keith played the same 2 songs 3 times
> at the 02 arena and owes those fans an apolgy. The
> Swedish press does not pay for tickets so his
> review is meaningless!
>
> What is NOT MEANINGLESS is the fact that Keith
> sucked at Show 1 of 02 arena and we accept that as
> a bad night but autopilot for 3 nioghts...NO
> EXCUSE! The other 2 shows..well he was great
> therafter but the same 2 songs for 3
> nights...Keith you owe all the fans who spent
> their hard earned money..especially USA fans who
> paid 2X the price!
>
> So stop crying in your vodka and apologize!
>
> VOODOODENTIST

What do you think gives you the right to expect different songs from Keith every night just because you traveled from the US to see the Stones in London? Did Mick or Keith have a gun to your head when you bought those tickets and booked your flight?

I came from the US as well to attend the three shows and while it would have been nice to hear something different I certainly didn't expect it. It was my choice to be there irregardless of what songs were played and I trust the same holds true for you. Keith owes us nothing, just be glad he's still up on that stage playing.

Lose your dreams and you will lose your mind...

Date: August 30, 2007 17:05

yes today's version of the stones bores me the music has no substance no musicianship.

play that guitar boy

Date: August 30, 2007 17:11

ablett - seeing MT here in DC on Oct 16th and Geneis in DC on 9/23 and
peter frampton on 9/24 here at birchmere.

play that guitar boy.

Date: August 30, 2007 17:13

Thats cause your stuck in some obsessive time warp where 72/73 is all you can judge anything by?

If you dislike the latter day stones so much why bother repeating the same threads all the time.

There must be plenty of Pearl Jam (???) threads about.....

Date: August 30, 2007 17:16

I can safely say I'd rather chew my own nuts of than see Genesis live my friend!

Date: August 30, 2007 17:17

The music speaks for itself - vibrato and great rhythm back with taylor VS muted rhythms and tin notes.

play that guitar boy.

Date: August 30, 2007 17:19

Same old same old OpenG!

Enjoy Mr Frampton, Genesis and as much Vibrato as you can bear!

Posted by: Rockingfan ()
Date: August 30, 2007 17:19

What do we really expect?
Because we paid a bucket full of £££ we think we have the right to demand the best concert with the most variety of songs we never heard before.
I must admit I did also expect a little bit more variety on during the three O2 concerts. However I did not get, but I was happy to have attended a wonderful final week of two years.
Over all I saw 25 shows from 2005-07. This year's peakshow was defenitely Lausanne. All over the two years I loved Calgary, Bowl, Milano and Lausanne.
The week in London is a very special seperate memory.

Posted by: oldkr ()
Date: August 30, 2007 17:27

oh get over yourselves really! you went you should have known what to expect- come on get a grip on reality. This is 2007 not 1973 if you wanted blinding guitars and gritty rock n roll go to your local theatre and see a fresher band.

OLDKR

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: August 30, 2007 17:27

Keith owes no one any apologies. At Keith's age, there are a lot of guys who, having spent most of their lives sitting behind a desk, are retired out in Miami or wherever. He gets up there, for two years running, every 2-3 nights, and appears to be doing the best that he can. Technically, he is not the same; the arthritis has made sure of that. And, you'd better believe that his fingers are terribly painful every night during and after a show. Ask your grandmother, or anyone else that you know who has arthritis -- show them photos of Keith's fingers, then show them how he gets up on stage in Chicago, 30 degrees fahrenheit, and plays for two hours. Yeah, Ronnie carries the band, and yeah, Keith's solos are shadows of what he used to do, but when he crouches down low, looks out at the audience and plays the chords that begin HTW or JJF, well there ain't anything better than that.

For all you complainers, take the Biggest Bang DVD and compare it to the tape of Mick's band of technically polished studio pros in Japan from 92 (or whenever). Tell me which is the better band.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 8 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1695
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home