Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Biggest Bang vs Four Flicks
Posted by: ig ()
Date: August 26, 2007 01:49

I've been listening to the new DVD and I am kind of disappointed because all I can hear is a very loud guitar (Keith's), a loud drum and Mick's loud voice. I see Ron playing the guitar and I can imagine the sound he is producing but I don't hear him. I almost don´t hear the backing vocals or any background noise coming from the audience during the songs. It was something deliberated? To rise the volume of just one guitar? Ronnie's guitars were cleary and plesantly audible on every show I went. And we hear him very sharply on Four Flicks, specially on gems like Before They Make Me Run.
Bob Clearmountain and Pierre de Beauport... are they responsible for that, knowing the Stones for years?
I also prefer the design and art direction of Four Flicks as well as the filming on itself. How many times do I have to look for that Japanese girl with a red top and golden scarf around her neck? Or for all those «bangs» before the intro of «You Got Me Rocking» on disc 1?
So, IMO the final product is not 100%. But that's OK. I'll jump directly to disc four. The Bonus Features are what a true fan deserves and wants. It was very emotional to hear Charlie Watts talk about his (lack) of ability to play in an academic way. We don't need it, Charlie. Play with that swing.

Re: Biggest Bang vs Four Flicks
Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: August 26, 2007 02:05

There had been much critic of FF's mixing as well!
Think they tried to do some changes. I like BB very much!

Salt of the earth and especially all that Argentinian stuff to me is really great!
Soundwise I haven't really compared it yet.

Both are nice in their way.

But I would like to make a comparison of the audios only as well!
Did anyone do this yet!?

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: August 26, 2007 07:01

both are very good, but i prefer the flicks documentary disc over bangs, more in your face interviews on flicks compared to the stones talking over music on the bang dvd

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: August 26, 2007 13:00

Loved the Buenos Aries and Rio sections. I went to Rome and semmed a similar Latin vibe just not so many people! €142 (£100) was a bit rich for Italy I guess

Posted by: Jos ()
Date: August 26, 2007 19:45

The more often i see BB, the more i am getting annoyed with the poor lip-synch, and i see that in most of the songs now. If that indeed are all overdubs, they shouldnt have bothered with a DVD, a CD would have just been fine

Posted by: Jos ()
Date: August 26, 2007 19:46

Oh, and FF is my favorite, as i liked that tour and stage-design much better thatn BB's

Posted by: Sespin ()
Date: August 26, 2007 19:49

The packaging of FF ist much better IMO. I also don't like the documentary "Salt Of The Earth", seems like Michael Cohl put together some video footage in 10 minutes...

Posted by: nikki bong ()
Date: August 26, 2007 23:00

flicks by a flicking mile

Posted by: Sabo ()
Date: August 26, 2007 23:26

Production wise Biggest Bang seems like a cheap quick release while FF was much more sophisticated with DVD features like Select a Stone or Backstage Pass. It's a pity the Stones stepped down a level and BB not having any of these.

Also FF had a much more consistent story: Theatre, Arena, Stadium, Documentary. BB is just some wild mix up. And thanks, I'm not interested in seeing some Chinese guy who doesn't even know the lyrics singing Wild Horses.

Sabo

Posted by: svendborg ()
Date: August 26, 2007 23:28

Sabo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
And thanks, I'm not interested in seeing
> some Chinese guy who doesn't even know the lyrics
> singing Wild Horses.

If he at least could sing it would help a lot ;-)

Date: August 26, 2007 23:32

Sabo Wrote:
> Production wise Biggest Bang seems like a cheap
> quick release while FF was much more sophisticated
> with DVD features like Select a Stone or Backstage
> Pass. It's a pity the Stones stepped down a level
> and BB not having any of these.

just like the tours themselves!

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: August 26, 2007 23:50

nikki bong Wrote:
> Sabo Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Production wise Biggest Bang seems like a cheap
> > quick release while FF was much more
> sophisticated
> > with DVD features like Select a Stone or
> Backstage
> > Pass. It's a pity the Stones stepped down a
> level
> > and BB not having any of these.
>
> just like the tours themselves!

.................dohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Date: August 26, 2007 23:52

good comeback pots

Date: August 26, 2007 23:53

melillo Wrote:
> good comeback pots

who's pots? you mean mrs. pots, from Beauty and the Beast?

Date: August 27, 2007 00:00

no potsy from happy days, remember in one of the early episodes ralph malph insults potsy and his response was OH yeah? and ralph replies good comeback pots
kind of sarcastic, iwas really sticking up for you in my post nikki

Posted by: monkeyman07 ()
Date: August 27, 2007 03:19

i just bought it here in london , lets see how good biggest bang is when i go home

wipeacdc@hotmail.com
never too old or young to rocknroll!!!!!!

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: August 27, 2007 03:43

Well, BB is obviously different but I like it !!

And the lipsync problem has not to do with overdubs! You just have to adjust your DVD/TV stereo!

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: August 27, 2007 12:12

I have only watched the Austin disc. I was surprised at how heavily overdubbed it is (at least the parts I watched). In all honesty, I don't rate it very highly. FF is much better (at least compared to the Austin disc).

Posted by: freddyscholtz ()
Date: August 27, 2007 19:33

yes....the overdubbs..for me the worse case is ronnies guitar in satisfaction. its unbelivable...i think even my grandmother would notice it..

Posted by: Hanns Rainsch ()
Date: August 27, 2007 21:09

I think the weakest point of the DVD is the fact that it really lacks some rare stuff and songs never released before.
Technically TBB is better, but musicaly, FF rules.

Posted by: livewithme ()
Date: August 27, 2007 21:27

I think the camera work is excellent on BB. Generally have wider angle shots. Not only Mick. And close ups seem to be much more of the guy actually doing the solo (dubbed or not). (FF and others seem to have the camera on the wrong thing much of the time). Sound is great too. But not enough breaking new ground for me to like this better than FF

Posted by: cpt.kirk ()
Date: August 27, 2007 21:43

I thought on first view that it wasn't synched properly either, but then I realized the dvd defaults to 5.1 surround. Go to menus, set up, and select 2.0 stereo if you don't haver surround. That will correct the synch problems.

I don't have a surround system and that trick takes care of the problems.

As far as the mix goes, I loved it. I thought Ronnie was plenty loud and the guitars were raw and up front, thanks to Ed Cherney's work. I'm glad Don Was is gone. I like Was, I think he's a good producer but I think The Stones need someone else behind the boards. Was' production had become a bit predictable.

Bill

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: August 27, 2007 21:52

I watched some of Flicks again for the first time in a while the other day and I realised that I prefer it to BB. As someone else said for filming BB is technically better but the main problem is that they are making a 4 DVD package out of one format since that's what the BB tour was. Flicks had three distinctly different shows whereas BB is 3 discs of basically the same content. Plus the Flicks documentary and bonus features are better so overall it is the better product.

I get a feeling that Shine A Light will be much more interesting though and look forward to it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2281
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home