Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

o.t, the KINKS
Posted by: Havo ()
Date: August 21, 2007 22:39

well, beside the Stones i liked the kInks back in the 60-80th.
anybody of you know, if there still together?

Re: o.t, the KINKS
Posted by: svendborg ()
Date: August 21, 2007 22:40

Havo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> well, beside the Stones i liked the kInks back in
> the 60-80th.
> anybody of you know, if there still together?

They're not :-(

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: August 21, 2007 22:41

They had that strange effect on me.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: August 21, 2007 22:42

The Kinks last performed live and recorded together in 1996. Since then both Davies brothers have pursued solo careers. Ray Davies has released the solo albums, THE STORYTELLER (1998) and OTHER PEOPLE'S LIVES (2006). A third Ray Davies post-Kinks solo album is expected in early 2008. Dave Davies has released the solo albums, ROCK BOTTOM (2000); BUG (2002); TRANSFORMATION (2005); and FRACTURED MINDZ (2007).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-08-21 22:46 by Rocky Dijon.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: August 21, 2007 22:44

Actually listenin' to them much these days...
My son lurrrrvs them, he just discovered them.

Date: August 21, 2007 22:47

Yeah great band...they love them on the farm.

Posted by: svendborg ()
Date: August 21, 2007 22:47

Baboon Bro Wrote:
> Actually listenin' to them much these days...
> My son lurrrrvs them, he just discovered them.

We're lucky having sons with a good taste in music ;-)

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: August 21, 2007 23:13

ray davies no less than gershwin, porter, the glims, the beatz, pete townshend.
As a writer, singer and performing rocker Ray is total genius absolutely 1st Class. From the early Brit invasion and countless performances, through amazingly and beautifully series of important and unique albums, dozens of them, and with the most beautiful melodic sense, easily rivalling Brian Wilson.

He put together that nawlins horn with english theatre and be bop boogie and jive with so much grace and power...THey just went on and on and on.
All hail the Kinks. Singularly brilliant catalog of compositions and performances.
And when it came to rocking it real hard. They never lost that. Dave had a stroke, things move on, Ray is still out there....Dunno about Mick Avory or DAve these particular days...but what the Kinks did, and who The Kinks are, and the great living legacy in their wake is something, as a rock fan, I'm in awe of and very very grateful for.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 22, 2007 03:27

RIGHT ON BEELYBOY! Very well written post!!!!
The Kinks are simply sublime in so many ways. Ray has the canny ability to blend his English obsrvations that resonate. As a group they are so over looked in so many ways. Dave Davies is an incredible guitarist who was very innovative in so many ways. Just listen to Days and the incredible raga type solo he does, this is before The Beatles used sitar. He is just as good playing slide and straight forward Berry type solos. His work on Aurthur and Musswell Hillbillies is stunning. I can't go on enough about how important The Kinks were, and how overlooked they were. By all accounts due to a ban from performing in American until the early '70's. Banned by US unions for a missunderstanding during their '65 tour. WHich meant the US missed out on a lot of their seminal work, and they didn't really bounce back in the US until Lola vs. the Powerman and Moneygoround. Ray can shift from hard rocking riffing to heart aching pleading, and never sounding forced or trite.
Some must haves: Muswell Hillbillies, Arthur, Something Else, Lola vs. the Powerman and Moneygoround, Face to Face, Low Budget, To the Bone...

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: August 22, 2007 05:05

They are probably my third favorite band behind The Stones and The Who. Glad to hear Ray Davies is working on another solo album. It will be great if he tours behind it.

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: August 22, 2007 05:39

svendborg Wrote:
> Havo Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > well, beside the Stones i liked the kInks back
> in
> > the 60-80th.
> > anybody of you know, if there still together?
>
> They're not :-(

i have heard that as dave has reovered from his stroke he and Ray have mended fences (again) and havce talked about doing something together. maybe the davies brothers, alone, don't equal the Kinks, but I'll take that.

I caught Ray last year at Irving PLaza and he was great. He is a top notch showman. much different than Mick but hold the rooms attention nonetheless. He should have been actor, as much as Mick has tried to act over the years, i think Ray is much more of a natural stroyteller/actor

Date: August 22, 2007 10:03

I saw the Kinks in 1981...right around the same time I saw the Stones '81 tour...they were great!

Posted by: KingBee ()
Date: August 22, 2007 11:46

Ray Davies is one of the last great ones!
Read the book X-Ray, it´s a mixture of autobiography and science fiction, very well made. A shame so very few people read it yet.
I´m working on a German translation for 7 years, I got a Go from Ray, but the German publisher said : Wait till he´s dead!

That´s modern life I guess....

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: August 22, 2007 11:55

Mick Avory plays and tours with the Kast-Off Kinks
and excellent, they are, too.

Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: August 22, 2007 11:56

Rays solo tours are spoze to good, dips into the full catalogue, small venues as well, especialy if you catch him outside major cities like london.

Of the 60s "brit beat bands" the kinks seem to be one of the most under rated.

Posted by: loochie ()
Date: August 22, 2007 12:42

Posted by: 6853 ()
Date: August 22, 2007 13:18

they have always been great favourites of mine
saw them in 1965 on my birthday they were in their red long jackets
i got an autograph from all of them written on the sleeve of their newly released four song record

(i am in a cover band which plays tunes like sunny afternoon, you really got me all day and all of the night, im on an island lovely susic.)

they are part of my musical upbringing so to speak, i found fx sunny afternoon as a song, that broke new ground...

best
d

Posted by: micklay66 ()
Date: August 22, 2007 13:22

Brilliant!!, nuff said1

Date: August 22, 2007 17:04

loochie Wrote:
> [i211.photobucket.com]
> 007/raydavies.jpg

Cool Loochie!!

Posted by: loochie ()
Date: August 22, 2007 19:48

rooster Wrote:
> loochie Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >
> [i211.photobucket.com]
>
> > 007/raydavies.jpg
>
> Cool Loochie!!

yeah, ray !!! i sure didn't take this photo - sorry if my post seemed to imply that - i found it once on some website and downloaded it immediately because he looks so lovely these days...

Date: August 22, 2007 20:25

Hmmm Loochie I just love the Low budget album from 77...it was so good!! After that they had a huge come back in the states but also in Europe...with that live album wich i used to have too....I lost both. Greetings and cheers!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1769
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home