Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Scorsese.....Shine A Light......O2.....!!
Date: August 17, 2007 13:43

OK, we all know how many rumours fly around the place when it comes to The Stones, some wilder than others.....but has anyone else heard that Scorsese will be filming some additional footage at the O2 shows? Just trying to assess how wild this particular rumour is.....!

Re: Scorsese.....Shine A Light......O2.....!!
Posted by: DoughboyUK ()
Date: August 17, 2007 13:49

wonder if thats what the slane "filming" comments are regarding?..

Dog

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: August 17, 2007 13:51

Loads of teenagers and blonde, nubile models, in the front blocks?

Posted by: DoughboyUK ()
Date: August 17, 2007 14:05

lol... and a couple of "real" fans crammed at the back...

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: August 17, 2007 14:31

Adrian-L Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Loads of teenagers and blonde, nubile models, in
> the front blocks?

You're too kind man. *Blush*

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: August 17, 2007 20:48

Manofwealthandtaste Wrote:
> OK, we all know how many rumours fly around the
> place when it comes to The Stones, some wilder
> than others.....but has anyone else heard that
> Scorsese will be filming some additional footage
> at the O2 shows? Just trying to assess how wild
> this particular rumour is.....!

It's true ... now that Marty's heard yours truly'll be in floor block A3, he's quite wisely decided to get some extra footage.

Posted by: dougie ()
Date: August 17, 2007 23:22

It would be great if they played some of the great songs that were performed at the Beacon. Okay, I would be happy with a couple! woohoo!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 17, 2007 23:29

paulywaul Wrote:
> Manofwealthandtaste Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > OK, we all know how many rumours fly around the
> > place when it comes to The Stones, some wilder
> > than others.....but has anyone else heard that
> > Scorsese will be filming some additional
> footage
> > at the O2 shows? Just trying to assess how wild
> > this particular rumour is.....!
>
> It's true ... now that Marty's heard yours
> truly'll be in floor block A3, he's quite wisely
> decided to get some extra footage.

Are you going to dye your hair blond and put on those fake tits again?

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: August 17, 2007 23:57

Hey Gazza, is that true that Marty is doing more filming in London??

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: August 18, 2007 05:23

but really, what is the reason for the delay?

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: August 18, 2007 06:46

melillo Wrote:
> but really, what is the reason for the delay?

Paramount Pictures/Brad Grey want to properly promote the film. To do that they need Mick and/or Keith (possibly the whole band), Problem is they aren't available until end of the year or early next to do the press necessary so it's been delayed to April '08

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: August 19, 2007 01:30

Gazza Wrote:
> paulywaul Wrote:
> -----
> > Manofwealthandtaste Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > OK, we all know how many rumours fly around
> the
> > > place when it comes to The Stones, some
> wilder
> > > than others.....but has anyone else heard
> that
> > > Scorsese will be filming some additional
> > footage
> > > at the O2 shows? Just trying to assess how
> wild
> > > this particular rumour is.....!
> >
> > It's true ... now that Marty's heard yours
> > truly'll be in floor block A3, he's quite
> wisely
> > decided to get some extra footage.
>
>
> Are you going to dye your hair blond and put on
> those fake tits again?

Damm ... you recognised me. S**t !!

Posted by: voodoocat ()
Date: August 19, 2007 03:52

this is essentially speculation and wishfull thinking on my part but lets first consider the facts
1. Shine a Light has been postponed for release until april 2008.
2. the film is slated to play on the IMAX screen.

consider this scenario-- the beacon show was a less that stellar performace as discussed here on various boards specifically the need for overdubs. its one thing to overdub on the bang CD to be viewed on home system but quite another thing to overdub sucessfully on a larger than life IMAX screen. I dont think Scorsese or the stones would want to release a film where ovbious overdubs dont sinc up with the singing or guitar playing. this may be wishful thinking on my part but perhaps, once it was decided to release SAL as an IMAX production, it was decided that more material was needed for the film. I've heard rumours on this site for additional filming (02) and film press comentary stating that the film would include vintage stones performances. this could be great and worth the wait if the film includes some vintage tayor clips from the golden era.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: August 19, 2007 05:32

voodoocat wrote: "but quite another thing to overdub sucessfully on a larger than life IMAX screen."

they did some of this for the SW/UJ Imax movie.....they recreated
some stuff in order to shoot extreme closeups/fill gaps....probably
had to fix some musical things too (overdubs etc...?).

i'm not sure Imax will enhance the viewing experience.
imax is great for seeing movies about Mnt Everest or the Grand Canyon
and other panoramic views but when i saw the '89-'90 SW/UJ show
on iMax it didn't seem appropriate. Maybe i was sitting too close.
Are all iMax theaters designed the same?

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: August 19, 2007 05:55

just hazarding a guess; i think the movie's finished done and in the can and there's no grand conspiracy or some awful thing secret that couldn't be hidden by visual or aural post=production...

...reliable fans have reported this one fantastic show; two fantastic shows...
here we have a poster above saying it beat rcmh...

the two dozen or so 'stills' i've seen from the movie are great and grand; the theatre itself, and the small area they were all working from, is classically designed beautiful theatre; the guys look EXTREMELY happy and extremely focused and into it...imo (no i wasn't at the show; no i haven't seen a preview)

the distributors and the film company that have the responsibility to market it have to try to make some dough with it; no one outside of a small minority of true fans knows about the movie or cares...the imax aspect is a huge investment in prints and must be promoted properly and most the local imax theatre in this city has booking thru september already, and probably the holiday season already planned...

just like the stadium shows, people will come from the general public; out of fandom, love for rock, idle curiosity, a date movie, to scoff while secretly dying for a close look at the masters, or to believe and vibrate, to whatever...it will attract attention. it has to be promoted. i don't expect it to be harry potter numbers or anything...but compared to the upcoming Sea Monsters of 80 million years ago or whatever...(which actually seems VERY cool, national geographic thing)...compared to their usual promotions and expectations at imax for what they run, the stones thing could be more than viable or they wouldn't have signed on for it...it has to premiere there contemporaneous with any other premieres, or it imax won't have an even, forget about exclusive, chance to promote it meaningfully...
...this just might be the rare case where the press release was simple and true...scorcese brought it in time for private showing at canne...it got whatever interest it got...maybe imax right there...whatever...the promo and print budget will be in the millions and at this point there will be no more screwing around.
i don't think they're gonna re=shoot anything, or shoot new stuff or mess with what they have...they will, imo, transfer the thing very carefully for imax experience, which will take time; then they have to mount a meaningful promo campaign which i'm sure is being prepared now...
this is just speculation, but the imax thing maybe happened more recently, making it impossible for them to squeak this out quickly as a back to school september release...and less profitable than waiting, transferring to imax prints, setting a more scheduled and targetted press campaign etc...
remember, this will all work forever with the rep of the thing in the culture and they are already calculating in the end of it's run and when to release on dvd with another round of promotion...i don't like the delay; but i think it's understandable...also i would LOVE and prefer to see this IMAX. real big, real loud, real close...i'm hoping it's cut beautifully; i'm sure it's photographed beautifully...
it's gonna have to be timed tight for imax release and for general theatrical release...it won't be huge opener or grosser like the x men or something...
but they'll get a lot of foot traffic and many generations in to enjoy this thing from tourists as well as fans with imax...they'll turn a dollar and make a good bit on the dvd and other licenses probably...

this is just a guess and an opinion; i'm really happy they did a theatre show that was filmed and so special and i can't wait to see it.

Posted by: jomo297 ()
Date: August 19, 2007 06:11

I would think if they were shooting anything it would be add ons and I doubt it. Anything else wouldn't match. The Beacon stage is unique. Also, like Beelyboy says, this hitn is in the can.

Posted by: StratoGR ()
Date: August 19, 2007 06:13

Hope it will be released on Greece on regular cinemas or at least in Planetarium.Isn't this like an Imax screen?

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: August 19, 2007 06:16

the movie is done.........it's purely a commercial decision to postpone..... period.

source: Variety.com

Paramount shifts 'Shine' launch
Scorsese's Stones film rolls to spring
By ANNE THOMPSON, PAMELA MCCLINTOCK
Talk Back - post a comment

Martin Scorsese
Scorsese

The Rolling Stones
Rolling Stones pic 'Shine a Light' will open in April, giving band and studio more time to promote it.
"Shine a Light," the Rolling Stones concert film directed by Martin Scorsese, will not hit theaters until April, Paramount has confirmed.

Pic was set to open Sept. 21, but Par determined in recent days that it needed more time to coordinate the marketing campaign with Scorsese and the band, particularly since the Stones are still on their European tour.

Still, the date change leaves Par proper without a high-profile fall project at a time when it is all but dependent upon DreamWorks for product.

Studio only has one film of its own the rest of the year: "Beowulf," which opens Nov. 16.

The Rolling Stones docu is a passion project for Paramount topper Brad Grey, who inked a first-look deal with Scorsese earlier this year.

Docu is being released under the Paramount Classics label, which can be used by either Par proper or specialty arm Paramount Vantage for more serious-minded product.

"It was a tight schedule. Everybody felt it was getting rushed," said one source close to the filmmaker.

Rather than enter the overcrowded award-season months of October, November or December, the principals involved in the Scorsese project opted for an April date.

Another factor in the postponement was the Rolling Stones' concert tour, which isn't scheduled to wrap until the end of August. The studio wanted the band to be available to do press to open the picture, said Paramount spokesman Michael Vollman.

"We think April is a better date for it," Vollman said. "There's more time for the band to support it. We have a fantastic trailer and poster. We need time to get the movie out and permeate the marketplace."

Filmed in the fall of 2006 at Manhattan's Beacon Theater as the Stones were performing their "A Bigger Bang" tour, pic also includes guest artists Buddy Guy, Jack White of the White Stripes and Christina Aguilera.

Movie is scheduled to screen in Imax theaters as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-08-19 06:18 by Rip This.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 19, 2007 06:21

They should add more footage.

To have the film focus solely on the Beacon show will be lackluster.
Sure, they were great shows, but to see and know the Stones,
you have to see and experience them at theaters, arena's, AND stadiums.

If this is a last hurrah project for the Stones, they need to round it out more and make it complete.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: August 19, 2007 07:14

StratoGR Wrote:
> Hope it will be released on Greece on regular
> cinemas or at least in Planetarium.Isn't this like
> an Imax screen?

Strato, I'm just sure they will release 'regular' theatrical film versions everywhere as well.
i would guess that in cities where there is Imax (increasingly in the states) maybe they'd get a shortish 'exclusive' first run, but that's a sort of 'specialty' thing, the big imax theatre...and they won't restrict the audiences to only that venue. I don't think they're gonna miss any markets with this.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1263
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home