Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Shine A Light - Interview with Scorsese
Posted by: Beast ()
Date: August 12, 2007 02:09

Re: Shine A Light - Interview with Scorsese
Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: August 12, 2007 02:54

Thanks for the link, very interesting read - also Mick's comment on the models at the Beacon?
I started reading it, and suddenly hear Cant You Hear Me Knocking on TV. Turns out it's "Blow"...

Belgrade-Bucharest-Budapest-Brno

Date: August 12, 2007 07:00

pretty good article.

wonder why "the last time" (song) cost so much to use?
must be a ABKCO issue

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: August 12, 2007 08:14

Since it was published today I wonder why they still say the film is due out in September? Thought there was this whole delay thing...

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 12, 2007 18:10

flacnvinyl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Since it was published today I wonder why they
> still say the film is due out in September?
> Thought there was this whole delay thing...

because being a Sunday paper the interview would have been done and went to the printers some days earlier.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: August 12, 2007 18:12

its ok if its delayed, as long as it kicks ass when it comes out

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: August 12, 2007 19:51

melillo Wrote:
> its ok if its delayed, as long as it kicks ass
> when it comes out

My sentiments entirely, I don't care that it's delayed. I would just like to think that I'll enjoy the hell out of it when it does eventually emerge, I've no reason to think that I won't. And as for the models/no models, real fans/fake fans row, I'm also a bit ambivalent, haven't really got strong feelings either way. I can see both sides of the argument I guess.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: August 12, 2007 20:38

The director made sure the camera concentrated on the young & sexy in the crowd for the Biggest Bang videos. That's understandable. But hiring fake young & sexy "fans" goes beyond what I'd consider fair play. That said, I'm not going to let it spoil my enjoyment of Shine A Light when we finally get it.

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: August 13, 2007 00:17

A little bird has told me that the Stones are having to re-shoot some songs/scenes.

If we're lucky, Martin might also take the opportunity to edit out the hired-bimbo brigade in the front rows.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: August 13, 2007 00:28

good i hope he puts more vintage stuff in there now that he has time, something tells me the screening may have been sub par, hence the delay

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: August 13, 2007 00:34

It is coming to the Imax theaters on Sept 21st and tickets go on sale Sept 7th.
Imax is defintely the place to see this movie.

Posted by: svendborg ()
Date: August 13, 2007 00:38

Overdubs take time :-)

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: August 13, 2007 00:48

svendborg Wrote:
> Overdubs take time :-)

Pierre must be overworked already grinning smiley

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: August 13, 2007 00:50

something tells me that this will not live up to iorr expectation.

i was one who wanted a dylan-type documentary.
this might be a fine representation of the Beacon
show...but we all know that it's pieced together
from a couple performances, has hired models for fans
and probably has some re-takes and closeups (like the IMAX show)
that were done after-the-fact.

i'm still keeping hope that it will be good and that i'll
be able to look past the models & retakes etc....but at this
point i'm thankful for the BIGGEST BANG Austin show. Filmmakers
had one shot..and made it count. excellent photography & direction.

after reading the interview...it simply seems that Scorsese wanted
footage of himself making a Stones concert movie...the making of the beacon show.
he's collaborating with them...but doesn't even interview them...and is uncertain
of the narrative. (?) No ones filmed a nice retrospective interview
with the entire band since 25X5 video.

i'm pessimistic. we might get pretty cinematography and nicely
overdubbed recordings......nothing real...definitely not a straightforward
film of a great rock band playing a small venue.

I hope I'm proven wrong.
Still waiting for an updated comprehensive documentary.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 13, 2007 00:57

Thanks beast....Damn fine interview...Marty got soul...Thanks again

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: August 13, 2007 03:21

Cheers beast. Nice to read. Shame there wasn't a photo of Scorcese and his wild eyebrows...

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: August 13, 2007 03:50

Thanks for the link, Beast.

In the article, it says, "In the picture, 'Shine a Light' is not played - only at the end credits." That's odd... I wonder if we'll see them performing that song as credits roll.

Also... is Scorsese talking about himself in the third person in this question? Or are there paragraphs that are not part of Marty's response?
"
Your British producing partner Graham King calls you 'one of the most collaborative guys you'll ever meet'. Was that the case making this movie?

Um, yeah ... Going back to Sympathy For the Devil, the important thing in that picture, I think, besides of course the concepts and what Godard has done, is the nature of really seeing the Rolling Stones put together a major masterpiece, 'Sympathy For the Devil'. It's really like being a part of their rehearsals. It's quite extraordinary. But collaborative? Yes. I like to work with people ... It depends on who you're working with.

One of the earliest scenes in Shine a Light involves Jagger, pre-concert, being presented with a model of the stage set at the Beacon Theatre. He is unimpressed. 'It looks like a doll's house,' he says, testily. He can see no 'rhyme or reason' why it's been designed that way. He is told that that's what they thought he wanted. Jagger flatly denies this.

Later we see Scorsese fretting about a lack of a running order for the show, intercut with shots of Jagger on a plane and in a hotel, leisurely working his way through lists of song titles - 'well-known' Stones numbers must be balanced with 'medium-known'. He blithely informs the camera that the running order will probably be decided at the last minute anyway ... Meanwhile, Marty's tearing his hair out - or making like he's tearing his hair out - because he needs to know what the opening song is so he can position his cameras ...
"

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: August 13, 2007 05:22

Schillid wrote: "Also... is Scorsese talking about himself in the third person in this question? Or are there paragraphs that are not part of Marty's response? "

No...the second 2 paragraphs are not Scorsese. It is a little confusing.
The questions (obviously) are in bold-face....then MS's response....and then
(in this case) the writer of the article/interview describes scenes from the film.

They probably should have italicized MS's answers/quotes....or at least
put quotation marks around them. It's confusing in 2 questions...the one
you cited and the one about "anti-establishment/rebellion/1960's".

(thanks for the link BEAST)

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: angee ()
Date: August 13, 2007 06:36

Schillid,
I've seen that before that Marty wanted the setlists earlier than Mick wanted to provide them. That seems an expected conflict between the way each works and what they have to do.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: August 13, 2007 07:34

.............on first read........my impression.....the interviewer saw the movie and wasn't necessarily overwhelmed...anyone else get that???

Posted by: largelingerie ()
Date: August 13, 2007 08:06

I could PICTURE the eyebrows while reading that interview. I love that he's such a true fan.

"... all I know is I'm there and I feel a certain thing. Emotionally and psychologically, I'm affected by it. And it's still inspiring to me."

Someone should've showed him the insanity on the boards when they were picking people for the Beacon, and how we feel about those bimbettes taking our spots. I wish he hadn't faked it like that, and yeah, now he's got the time to delete those overly attractive yahoos. I don't know about you, but I don't need to see any audience shots at all when I'm watching a movie about the Stones. I had that problem with the Biggest Bang dvds as well. I don't care how lovely and enthralled they're pretending to be, I just wanna see the band. And, no offense to the lucky real fans who made it...and made it up to the front, I just find watching audience members to be kind of embarrassing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1597
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home