Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: "Guitar" - Prince
Posted by: crossfire ()
Date: August 3, 2007 05:05

This guy just keeps producing. I think Hendrix would be proud and I know Keith probably shakes his head at this guy! Cool tune. Lyrically is middle of the road.

I know this is a Stones board...

Re: OT: "Guitar" - Prince
Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: August 3, 2007 08:28

crossfire Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This guy just keeps producing. I think Hendrix
> would be proud and I know Keith probably shakes
> his head at this guy! Cool tune. Lyrically is
> middle of the road.
>
> I know this is a Stones board...

Funny lyric. Melody is a retread of Girls & Boys. That it's one of the only good songs on is p iss poor new album should tell you everything.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: August 3, 2007 18:40

I like that one, altho I must admit I'm not too crazy about the rest of the album. His last album, 3121, was really good, tho.

"It wasn't my fault ... liquors drunkened me!" Homer Simpson

Posted by: Monkeylad ()
Date: August 5, 2007 15:48

Aw, I love the new Prince album. And I had to BUY a copy, since editions of the Daily Mail that crossed the Pond did not have the free album inside, just the front-page story screaming that there was a free Prince album in that issue.

Each song on Planet Earth is sonically unique, to my ears. It's definitely not an album with 10 songs that all sound the same.

My favorite Planet Earth track of the moment is the disco-sounding song toward the end. I can see why it would not appeal to many Stones fans.

Date: August 5, 2007 19:17

Monkeylad Wrote:
> Aw, I love the new Prince album. And I had to BUY
> a copy, since editions of the Daily Mail that
> crossed the Pond did not have the free album
> inside, just the front-page story screaming that
> there was a free Prince album in that issue.
>
> Each song on Planet Earth is sonically unique, to
> my ears. It's definitely not an album with 10
> songs that all sound the same.
>
> My favorite Planet Earth track of the moment is
> the disco-sounding song toward the end. I can see
> why it would not appeal to many Stones fans.

Or Prince fans either .... Especially this one. I think planet earth is weak and mostly forgettable.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: August 5, 2007 23:02

'Guitar' is just so cool sounding, an example of a classic 'throwaway' - like the stones' 'She's So Cold'. Infectious stuff

A wee bit disappointed with 'Planet Earth' as a whole though, it has some sterling songs, but, doesn't hold a candle to the great man's masterpieces, of which there are many! Methinks his last brilliant albums were 2002's instrumental 'NEWS' and 2001's excellent 'Rainbow Children'. He always can follow one or two less than stellar albums with brilliance - 1996's "Emancipation" is still, IMO, one of his finest albums ever after one or two dodgy records, and it's a triple. But, even a dodgy Prince record is far better than most of his competition.

Off 'Planet Earth' I love Guitar, You're the One I wanna C, Redemption & All the Midnights in the World. Chelsea Rogers ain't half bad either!

Date: August 6, 2007 00:28

IrelandCalling4 Wrote:
> 'Guitar' is just so cool sounding, an example of a
> classic 'throwaway' - like the stones' 'She's So
> Cold'. Infectious stuff
>
> A wee bit disappointed with 'Planet Earth' as a
> whole though, it has some sterling songs, but,
> doesn't hold a candle to the great man's
> masterpieces, of which there are many! Methinks
> his last brilliant albums were 2002's instrumental
> 'NEWS' and 2001's excellent 'Rainbow Children'. He
> always can follow one or two less than stellar
> albums with brilliance - 1996's "Emancipation" is
> still, IMO, one of his finest albums ever after
> one or two dodgy records, and it's a triple. But,
> even a dodgy Prince record is far better than most
> of his competition.
>
> Off 'Planet Earth' I love Guitar, You're the One I
> wanna C, Redemption & All the Midnights in the
> World. Chelsea Rogers ain't half bad either!

You liked NEWS? I thought it was tedious, lumpen stuff. Particularly disappointing because it came hot on the heels of two terrific instrumental only albums (released as downloads in 2003) - Xpectation and CNote. Those two are WELL worth checking out. Things of great beauty and highly innovative, which made Prince's "mainstream" trilogy (Musicology, 3121, PE) all the more disappointing.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: August 6, 2007 01:16

Prince now only produces OK or disappointing albums.
The Gold Experience is his last masterpiece IMHO..

Planet Earth isn't bad. So is 3121. But who will play those records a couple of weeks after they bought them? Not me.
Since Musicology there's nothing intresting to say about his music anymore. Albums like The Rainbow Children, New Power Soul, Emancipation, The Vault, Chaos and Disorder aren't truly great but there are songs on it that I still play.

By the way... The riff from 'Guitar' sounds very much like U2's I Will Follow IMHO.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-08-06 01:21 by BowieStone.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: August 6, 2007 05:04

It somewhat reminds me of "Girls & Boys".

Date: August 6, 2007 08:06

BowieStone Wrote:
> Prince now only produces OK or disappointing
> albums.
> The Gold Experience is his last masterpiece
> IMHO..
>
> Planet Earth isn't bad. So is 3121. But who will
> play those records a couple of weeks after they
> bought them? Not me.
> Since Musicology there's nothing intresting to say
> about his music anymore. Albums like The Rainbow
> Children, New Power Soul, Emancipation, The Vault,
> Chaos and Disorder aren't truly great but there
> are songs on it that I still play.
>
> By the way... The riff from 'Guitar' sounds very
> much like U2's I Will Follow IMHO.

I agree with you about Gold Experience being his last masterpiece and in your assessment of the post-WB split albums up to Rave Un2 The Joy Fantastic (his first attempt at mainstream revival, and BOY did he sound desperate - following where he'd once led; no wonder he put a sheep on the cover), but Rainbow Children ran it close. Forget, if you can, the lyrics and the Bob George style narrator and focus on the music. It's a thing a of great beauty. It was jazz-funk by someone who not only understood both genres, but someone who knew how and where the one had inspired the other. The attendant tour was probably the best I've ever seen him - on practically anybody - play.

In 2003 Prince then released two - (then) free to his fanclub members - download only instrumental albums, Xpectation and CNOTE (ok, the "E" in CNOTE stood for Empty Room, the other tracks were soundcheck instrumentals played at Copenhagen, Nagoya, Osaka and Tokyo), which were absolutely superb.

Those were the last Prince releases I got excited about. Of his last three albums, I like only a couple of tracks apiece. The rest are - like you say - dull. I can't help but think that this is somehow as deliberate as the precise, radio-friendly timing of the CDs - serving the masses up an imitation of what they used to like about Prince (yes, Guitar is Girls & Boys Mark 2 - but not as fun) in order to generate as much money as possible before he goes off off on another interesting tangent. He claims to be retiring his hits after the O2 shows, and not coming back to the Uk "for a long time", because he'll be indulging in Bible study. I hope the latter results in some great music again.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1935
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home