Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Biggest Bang First impressions (Europe)
Posted by: alvaro77 ()
Date: July 30, 2007 23:08

Well i bought my copy this morning, and frankly, am a little bit sad with the content.
Out of learning the game (worth the whole price), bob wills, and the abb songs, is quite the same we had in FF, and in previous relases. But, for me, a little bit worst. MSG and Olympia are far better than any of the concerts from this set.
I wasnt expecting anything, but, do we really need 3 more versions of Satisfaction, BS, YCAGWYW, an so on?.
The austin DVD is good, Brasil was already out there.
And for the mix DVD, you have more or less the same songs than in the other DVD. So, whats the point? i think a tour rarities dvd would be far better.

We used to complain about relasing a live CD after each tour with almost the same concert, time after time. This is the evolution. No more CD but DVD, but the concept (a tour souvenir with little interest for the core fans (again, my opinion)) is still there.

I dont wanna make a final statement, or something like this, its only my humble opinion.
And have a lot of interest of hearing yours.
Said that, im gonna give the austin dvd another spin..

Greetings.

Re: Biggest Bang First impressions (Europe)
Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: July 31, 2007 00:21

I will wait my birthday (hey, 40 !!) to watch the ABB dvd's I will be offered in august. So I cannot comment now.
But maybe it is difficult to match the FF dvd as it was complete and the ideas of 3 different kind of venues were great.
They could have wait for the end of the current tour to propose a live best of without overdubs as some shows were excellent.
I always love the documentaries when the recording process is shown. It can be more interesting than a live show which is never so great to watch than to attend.
the 25X5 was excellent, REWIND too with the presentation by Mick and Bill, the ppw (hampton and atlantic city some must !) what else could the band release ?? yes maybe an "historical live performances over 4 decades". Some tours are badly documented but maybe the band thinks it would be useless to look behind and that only the hardcore fans could be interested in it...

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: July 31, 2007 01:19

i share some of your feelings alvaro77
if it were not that i am still so addicted to the live sound of this band i would say it is mostly a waste of money
but in many respect it is not at least for me and i think for those addicted as me
there are some things that alone mada my day the very first time i watched it

1 the shaman's rite of keith before the wet buenos aires gig
2 the images of keith playing in front of the steamy pulsing crowd
3 the reharsing of cant be satisfied in milan
4 mick rehearsing back of my hand
5 charlie talking of being a drummer

also some of the performances are quite good and the overdubbing is not so intrusive and to my ear is mostly mick

sympathy is pretty much like the one i witness in rome
as paint it black is
jumping jack flash sounds great and pretty much like the beacon's i heard in the low quality boot

fact is however that the glimpses of the phoenix warm up gig made me scream: WHY ON EARTH DID'NT YOU RELEASE THAT!!?!?!?!
get up stand up is effin cool and much warmer than the ray charles vegas cover, mr pitiful is stones covering their roots at their best and back of my hand makes me drool

overall i must say that compared to ff the "concept" and choice is weaker but... but... there's a lot more stoned guitar in this...

Posted by: guy ()
Date: July 31, 2007 01:30

Just watched Zilker, despite overdubs, and even because of them perhaps, and very good but unusual sound mixing, I think it is absolutely fantastic, and I prefer it to FF, where the band were more innovative in terms of song choice, or they covered a huge list, I think that they are playing with more energy, really exciting, love it, love it, love it!!!!

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: July 31, 2007 01:40

Very very good DVD set. I'm having a blast watching it!

Posted by: svendborg ()
Date: July 31, 2007 02:37

Bought it a month ago...just love it...especially the Austin DVD

Posted by: StratoGR ()
Date: July 31, 2007 08:32

I haven't seen it yet but here is my thoughts.I am glad that they released again a 4 box set for this tour even if it contains some songs at least twice.So what you can skip them if you don't want them.I mean better have the option to have lots of content on a new release rather than be limited.Dvds about the old tours I hope and they will come out.The one thing doesn't prevent the other from happening.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: July 31, 2007 10:26

I recieved my copy yesterday and watched the austin concert inwhich i enjoyed, but on disk 3 was trying to find 'laugh i nearly died' and for some reason could not find it, anybody else have this problem and i am sure this has been mentioned before?

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 31, 2007 11:41

... why were you expecting to find Laugh I Nearly Died - have i missed something?
(it hasn't been performed, so why would it be included??)

as folks keep agreeing, Keith's set in Austin is worth the whole price. Learning the Game is totally brilliant,
and hark to how beautifully he's singing on T&A - screw the lyrics, just listen to his voice!

i love having the Shanghai footage (personal reasons, maybe - i used to live there)
and the documentaries are full of great little scenes. if i already own some of the material,
i only have my own insatiability to blame - and i'm happier with official versions anyway -
and if the impact isn't quite as great as FF, that's only because FF was such a radically spectacular release.

thanks & praises Rolling Stones!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-07-31 11:43 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: July 31, 2007 11:42

they use laugh i nearly died' as a backgroundsong dring that interview with Dave M

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-07-31 11:43 by Rik.

Date: July 31, 2007 11:59

>> during that interview with Dave M <<

ah: where he's talking about Charlie being such a precious gift -
eek, that's pretty dark humour :E

Posted by: nanker phelge ()
Date: July 31, 2007 12:04

I haven't seen it yet- only got paid today so have ordered it from Amazon (£29.98-not too bad) got to wait a couple of days- can't wait!

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: July 31, 2007 12:48

with sssoul Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ... why were you expecting to find Laugh I Nearly
> Died - have i missed something?
> (it hasn't been performed, so why would it be
> included??)

Because it was listed in the supplied booklet. thanks for the info about the back ground music thou.
>
> as folks keep agreeing, Keith's set in Austin is
> worth the whole price. Learning the Game is
> totally brilliant,
> and hark to how beautifully he's singing on T&A -
> screw the lyrics, just listen to his voice!
>
> i love having the Shanghai footage (personal
> reasons, maybe - i used to live there)
> and the documentaries are full of great little
> scenes. if i already own some of the material,
> i only have my own insatiability to blame - and
> i'm happier with official versions anyway -
> and if the impact isn't quite as great as FF,
> that's only because FF was such a radically
> spectacular release.
>
> thanks & praises Rolling Stones!

Posted by: olympia ()
Date: July 31, 2007 13:34

I also share this impression .
Four Flicks was a very good release with different kind of venues and oustanding performances in MSG and in Olympia theater.
In spite of Keith' performing " Learning the game" I am not that thrilled by the Austin show and I find Rio just average.
To me the highlight of this DVD set is Buenos Aires .The audience is simply fantastic ,never witnessed that before .The band is pumping the energy coming from the crowd and delivers a top notch performance .This is probably one of the best version of Satisfaction that I have ever heard (and I have heard many over the past 35 years !!!) not necessary because of the music but because of the exchange of energy between the band and the audience.Keith and Mick are on fire and don't want to end the song.It's really something special ,worth buying the 4 DVD set.

Posted by: dunhill ()
Date: July 31, 2007 13:40

First thing I watched was the 4th DVD and I had shivers running down my spine.
It's filmed very beautifully and it's all eye candy, really, having seen the Stones 3 weeks ago it put me back in show mode, very good.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: July 31, 2007 14:04

Has anyone else noticed that the excellent version of Jumpin' Jack Flash from the Austin DVD is missing the 3rd verse???

Why on Earth would they cut out a verse of the song???

Posted by: austrianstones ()
Date: July 31, 2007 14:12

right now, a new favorite song for me

learning the game by keith, at his best !!!!

let`s teach the world, how the game is working.

thanks keith, thanks the rolling stones ,thank you all

robert from austria

see you soon in nothern europe

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: July 31, 2007 15:10

I have so far seen the main, (not bonus), content of discs 1,3 & 4, so not the Rio concert yet.

I think both sound and picture quality are excellent but sorry to say my first impression of the Austin concert was I wish they wouldn't show so much of the audience trying to get themselves on screen. On the other hand I'm very happy to have She's So Cold on DVD - not many mention it but I totally love this song live. Agree with everyone else that Learning the Game is outstanding too. Also really enjoyed the B stage set though could do without the audience cheering throughout Under My Thumb. (I'm sure that's been placed artificially high in the mix too which makes it all the more iritating.) The bit in HTW when Mick and a lady in the audience are showing each other their upper torso is fabulous!!

I enjoyed the cuts from Japan and China very much, more in fact than Buenos Aires.

Of the three discs I watched last night I enjoyed disc 4, the documentary, the most. Some lovely moments both on and off stage.

All in all, I'm very happy with it. I went to bed thinking God bless the Rolling Stones and can't wait for the O2 shows!

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 31, 2007 15:47

Picked it up yesterday...hoping to get a look at it tonite.

Date: July 31, 2007 16:43

>> The bit in HTW when Mick and a lady in the audience are showing each other their upper torso is fabulous!! <<

smile: yep, that is a riot - beautiful communication :E

Posted by: kennydice58 ()
Date: July 31, 2007 17:05

it's excellent the tour documentry's are brilliant brings back so many memories of the show in Barcelona 2007 awesome great stuff
cheers kennydice

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: July 31, 2007 20:03

with sssoul Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> >
> as folks keep agreeing, Keith's set in Austin is
> worth the whole price. Learning the Game is
> totally brilliant,
> and hark to how beautifully he's singing on T&A -
> screw the lyrics, just listen to his voice!
>

sssoul, i'm so glad "learning the game" was preserved so you can see it...i know it's very special to you, in addition to being a wonderful version of the song..

Posted by: alvaro77 ()
Date: July 31, 2007 20:39

i´ve watched the Austin DVD again and in some moments the overdubs are just too much, specially on B-Stage. You can hear mick singing, but his mouth not moving, you can hear a guitar riff, but both ronnie and keith arms are to the sky. And the begining of satisfaction is quite strange...very similar to flashpoint.

Sometimes its like watching a videoclip synchronized with external music. Im totally against overdubs (i know, ya yas, etc), because, it is NOT the stones live music, its the stones live + music...

Im not saying all songs and all sounds, but the overdubs are huge. and at some point (in some songs, micks face is shown only very few moments, like in SOL, totally overdubbed), embarrasing.

Dou you guys consider this a live perfomance or a pseudo-live performance?

Posted by: black&blue ()
Date: July 31, 2007 22:35

Just finished watching the first show , after Keith's "Learning The Game" I
jumped up from the sofa and gave him an applause ; on which my daughter :
"shall i call the ambulance right now ? or shall i wait till after you have
seen the complete show" ?

And yes , you see the overdubs , but while watching,it did not disturbed me at
all.
I would be very very happy to see a concert like this one in Sweden or Norway.

Rocking greetings ,

black&blue

Posted by: roby ()
Date: July 31, 2007 23:55

Overdubs ? YES !

Additional Recordings by
Pierre de Beauport
Dave Rouze

not a secret, written on the box set

Posted by: flairville ()
Date: August 1, 2007 01:43

The first thing I noticed was how great the sound is, far superior to FF. FF needs remastering already!!
Learning The Game is my personal highlight. I love 'Shine A Light' with Bonnie Raitt too. I smirked when Mick said he wrote it 25 years ago.
The Phoenix Club show tracks are worth the price of the boxset alone.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: August 1, 2007 02:19

It makes me happy ... and it makes me sad at the same time.

Happy because it is a fan's wet dream - twenty, thirty or fourty years ago we could only dream about 4 DVD souvenirs from Stones tours - there was the occasional live album, and besides them the only way to relive certain tours was spending quite some bucks for bootlegs...

...and it makes me a bit sad because -as great as Biggest Bang undoubtedly is- it begs for the question why the Stones could not treat their glorious past in a similar way...hell, can you imagine 4 DVD sets covering the Brian Jones & Mick Taylor eras and Ronnie's first 7 years with band (1975-1982)? The more time passes by, the more I doubt that those vaults will ever be opened.

Posted by: starman2004 ()
Date: August 1, 2007 03:21

got mine today.

well, i have to admit that i haven't seen 100% of the content yet (probably about 90% winking smiley ), but i've definitely seen enough to write a review.

disc one:
well, i don't think that there's much to say. austin - what an extraordinary show - amazing setlist, lovely atmosphere. i won't comment the most obvious overdubs, i just try to ignore them. but tracks such as SSC, LSTNT, SWAY, BWISTK, ATPTB, UMT, GOOMC make this dvd really, really worth watching. keith's set is possibly the best i've seen so far, simply incredible. must be the greatest stones dvd i've seen in my entire life.

disc two:
rio, copacabana beach. so many people there, what a historical day. the negative thing is that i really miss SFTD, it's one my all-time favourite live tunes. MR and NTITRT are the stand-out tracks one this dvd, i think. lisa fischer is absolutely amazing one the latter number. SATISFACTION still kills as a concert closer, even though i've heard it so many times. that sort of surprised me.

disc three:
really interesting dvd. the stones playing in china, japan and argentina. love mick's and chuck's discussion about the chinese censorship, it's absolutely hilarious. the chinese obviously got no problems with BITCH. love it! two tracks from my favourite album LIB: MR and GS - i was blown away. great that TPIE was realeased on that disc, but i must say that i've heard better versions.
in a way, it hurts a bit that dave matthews joined the stones for LIB... it's one of my favourite stones songs. it could have sounded better, indeed... but i think that the duets with bonnie raitt and eddie vedder are very nice.

disc four:
lovely documentary, i think the end is really emotional, great to see more than just the stones on stage, very interesting. two very rare performances released on dvd: GUSU and MP, absolutely great.

well, that was basically what i had to say about that fabulous dvd set. i really love it and in my opinion it's a must-have. great material.

-danny from austria.

Posted by: stonesfrk ()
Date: August 1, 2007 06:14

It's definately worth buying. That said it's overdubbed to hell and cut to sh**. I mean Bitch is one of the high lites of this tour for me, and it is cut to shred's! What up with that? It was brillant many times this tour why not show one version in it's entirety.

Posted by: iamthedj ()
Date: August 1, 2007 15:52

Got the BB DVD yesterday. Watched it in one marathon session and have to say I found it a little boring. Enjoyed Bob Wills, Hurricane, Charlie's Swing Section and parts of the documentary on DVD 4. Other than that I was slightly bored. Not a patch on 4 Licks DVD. Having read the reviews of Austin I was waiting to be wowed. I'm still waiting! Much prefer London 03 concert on Four Licks!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-08-01 15:55 by iamthedj.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1143
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home