Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Interesting Encounters.
Posted by: jagger50 ()
Date: July 30, 2007 19:00

As a self employed Gardner I have always worked for people with money. I have worked for many famous people. But my favourite encounter is when I got an interesting new customer. We began talking about music. Then about the Stones. I told him about I have every Stones album. He said he had met with the Stones. In particular Mick and Keith. He immediately had my attention. He was the lawyer that signed the Stones to EMI. I thought yer right. He comes out to me later with some news clippings. Sure enough, there is his pic with Mick and Keith in several newspapers. He invites me into his office. On the wall is a gold record of SGT Peppers. Signed by the Beatles thanking him for all his kind help.Holy Moly! I got real lucky here. Any of you been lucky?

Re: Interesting Encounters.
Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: July 30, 2007 19:11

The singer I used to manage cut some demos & wrote songs with a guitarist/producer who'd worked with Mick Taylor and also was in a band that opened some of the Voodoo Lounge shows. He had some great stories and is also a huge, huge Stones fan, so he was always very psyched to discuss his experiences.

Date: July 30, 2007 19:24

I wanted to sell a Stones item. So a guy comes to view it at my flat. He says he don´t like it. But his friend buys it off me. He starts taking my Stones books out of their place. He shows me certain pages saying these items are his. Or the Stones bought this from him. It turns out he was Ali Zayeri. He will have his Stones museum in London while the Stones are in town. He tells me about some items he has. I don´t know what his profession was, but obviously he was very good at it. He must have spent a lot of money on his Stones collection. He said it was his hobby. I said can´t you find a cheaper hobby.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: July 31, 2007 00:45

In August of 2003, I went to the Mick Taylor show at the 100 Club.

As I was claiming my ticket, Mick walked up next to me and had a few words with the lady at the counter. Just a couple of pleasantries were exchanged between us, but it was a great encounter.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: July 31, 2007 01:13

There is a saying, that everyone on this earth is no more that 6 degrees of separation from anyone else. (Whatever that means.)

The drummer of my band was a fashion model in the 70's and 80's in Paris and worked with Jerry Hall. Through this she met Mick and they stay in touch a few times a year via e-mail. That was until about 3 years ago when she got in the middle of an arguement between Mick and Jerry (I cannot tell you what it's about, don't want to break any confidentiality laws here) She took Jerry's side and Mick hasn't been in touch since. She should have kept her keyboard finger strokes to herself!
On the forty licks tour she took her son's (teenagers interested in punk rock) backstage to one the concerts. Upon meeting the Stones one of hwer sons said "They're old!" After they began playing, about 3 songs in the other son said, "OK mom, can we go now?" She said NO!

Here is another story I posted previously.

A cousin of my wife invests and collects antique rail cars. When Steel Wheels was around he got a call from mick himself inquiring about renting the car for a party (Mick has a fascination with trains) They said yes. and unlike other times they rented out the rail car, they were present for the party. (The rest of the arrangements were made from mgmt.) At the the party my wife's cousin got into a 20 minute conversation with Ronnie about his train collection (that's when he learned of Mick's interest). After a while he (cousin) says to Ronnie, "I cannot believe I am sitting here talking to Ron Wood" Woody replied,"I can't believe I'm sitting here talking to the owner of this amazing Rail Car" (with martini in hand)

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 31, 2007 01:22

Do these two count...???

Met a Pommie chick once who reckons her mum saw the
Stones in 1964 eating breakfast in a cafe just outta London...

Know another Pommie chick Katie who was a baby sitter
for David Courts the jeweller who made Keith's Skull ring....

We got 'em all down here...YEAH!!!

ROCKMAN

Date: July 31, 2007 02:03

I knew a person, whose second cousin was married to this other person who...oh, let's just forget it.

Date: July 31, 2007 02:44

After the B2B show at the MGM Grand, I was on the elevator going back to my room. It stops at a floor and Chuck Leavell and Bobby Keys get on. My jaw almost hit the floor. As they were talking between themselves I didn't want to bother them. As I got off at my floor , I turned around and thanked them for a great show.

At the first 40 Licks show at the Grand, I'm standing in the concourse outside of the arena before the show 'introducing' 2 UK fans I'd met to my favorite mind numbing drink, tequila. Nothing like watching two hard drinking brits buckle under the effects of 3-4 shots of this firewater. Anyway, Blondie Chaplin walks by. I call him over and tell him I really enjoyed his solo stuff. One of the things I ask him is whats it like on tour with the Stones as compared to touring solo. He says 'Better women and better booze'.

Scotty,
Irvine

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: July 31, 2007 03:39

.....I was robbed once by guys in ski masks who shot at me....and missed!!!!....does that count?....it was interesting.....and it was an encounter.....

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: July 31, 2007 03:45

Down in Georgia, most of our encounters are with aliens wanting sex while we're fishing.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: July 31, 2007 04:33

I made drinks for keith and ronnie, when they were at the halfmoon pub in putney, at a wake for one of keiths former bodyguards, back in May 2000. Jo Wood was at the bar ordering, and, after making her two large vodka & oranges, she handed one back and said "Oh, better put another shot in there, otherwise ronnie won't taste it"

Classic.

Mick and Charlie were also there. Fantastic evening. I deliberatly brushed past Mick and Keith while collecting glasses. I know, what a sad tosser...

Whilst chauffeuring, I have driven Lizzie Jagger and L'Wren Scott, amongst others.

Have played the piano used by the beatles in Abbey Road studio 2. Far out...

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: July 31, 2007 04:35

A few years ago, I was in a laudromat, reading a magazine while I waited for my clothes to finish in the dryer --

EDIT
OH wait... never mind... It wasn't me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-07-31 15:46 by schillid.

Date: July 31, 2007 04:59

BluzDude Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> The drummer of my band was a fashion model in the
> 70's and 80's in Paris and worked with Jerry Hall.
> Through this she met Mick and they stay in touch a
> few times a year via e-mail. That was until about
> 3 years ago when she got in the middle of an
> arguement between Mick and Jerry (I cannot tell
> you what it's about, don't want to break any
> confidentiality laws here) She took Jerry's side
> and Mick hasn't been in touch since. She should
> have kept her keyboard finger strokes to herself!

.....BluzDude that is incredible.....you have a woman playing drums for your blues band...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2007-07-31 05:16 by Lukester.

Date: July 31, 2007 05:11

Yes we do, and her older son is named Luke

Check out our website www.blueszoneband.com

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: July 31, 2007 05:11

Met Iggy Pop at a record signing....he took my copy of the Idiot and asked my name,"Matt"...then he said, "ahh like a door Mat, can I wipe my shoes on your back?" I loved it! I was only 18 and thought he was a freak, but loved it.

Met Ronnie at a book signing, and he signed my copy of Lacerated. I also had some pictures I took of him with Bo Diddly and gave him a set, and he was very appreciative. When he took the boot from me to sign he said "'ello, what's this, I haven't seen this one before, Sure I'll sign it, it'll be worth something some day."

At a Mick Talyor gig in Detroit during the break went to the ally to smoke a joint and who should come out, but Mick T himself. He was totally drunk and came up to us asked if we had some pot. We said sure and handed him the joint. He took a few tokes, we talked a bit about his playing and then he went back in, WITH OUR JOINT!

I was a Peace Corps volunteer in Sri Lanka, so I go back a lot (I live in Singapore now). I speak the language (Sinhala). four years ago I was staying in a remote place at a great hotel and a Brit gave me a nice hearty good morning. I thought he looked familiar. So at the pool I saw him swimming and swam near him and spoke to the towel boy in Sinhala and the Brit was very impressed. We talked for a while and said he worked in the entertainment industry. I asked how he liked Sri Lanka and he said, "great, but it would be better with some hash" So I told him I could hook him up. Later that night I saw him leaving his bungelow and called him over and handed him some stuff and he was over the moon! He left for a bit and came back with a bottle of bubbly and we hung out and partied. So I asked him what he did, and he was cagey. He asked where I was from and I told him Detroit and he said, "ahh, the home of Iggy Pop!" So I asked if he worked with Iggy and he said well a bit, but did I know David Bowie?! I freaked because I am a big Bowie fan and said hell yes, well he told me his full name, Geoff MaCormack, a school friend of Bowie's and he sang on Ziggy Stardust through Low!!!! And was known as Warren Peace (he wrote Rock and Roll with Me)! I TOTALLY FREAKED. So we spent the entire night drinking and talking about old stories.

A year later Bowie announced his Reality tour and tickets went on sale in Singapore. I wrote Geoff an email and asked him if I could get backstage. He didn't reply for a few days, so I thought I crossed the line. Then the he finally responded and said no problem, here is the email for Bowie's personal tour assistant, send her an email and tell her it was approved by Cocco (Bowie's long time personal assitant). So the day of the show I had two backstage passes waiting for me at the box office. I got to meet Bowie and he signed a few of my DVD's and CD's...and he was such a great guy!! We chatted for a while, and he was so genuine and friendly!! Will never forget that night!

Date: July 31, 2007 05:24

...cool stories whitem8.....cool website BluzDude......

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: July 31, 2007 05:29

tnx:-) Lukester!

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: July 31, 2007 07:01

I learned early that I can't Name Drop. Just never works for me. Here's how I learned.

Local brew pub features some pretty good live music, lots of emerging acts, and a regular group at the time called the Hot Five Jazzmakers. I was there one night as a friend was a featured guest-brewer, drinking my allotted half pint (yes... I'm a cheap drunk too, and am rationed...) Friend says to me, This is a pretty good jazz group - usually Jeff Healey comes and sits in with them.

I'm thinking, Jeff Healey is a guitar god - friend likely saw him here once a few years ago and is BSing me. But a few minutes later, I turn my head and Healey's sitting at the next table. Double take - yep, it's Jeff Healey.

I am way too cool to say anything. (Translation - am speechless.)

So he finishes his drink, gets on stage, and plays trumpet with these guys for the rest of the night - a semi-regular gig with people he has played with for years. A cool night.

The next day, I am at my brother's house, chatting with my sis-in-law and their neighbour, who is a recently-retired public school music teacher. I tell the story - you'll never guess who I saw last night, blah blah blah. The neighbour's face lights up and she says, Jeffrey! Oh, he wrote his first song for me!

Yep - she taught him.

So no, if anyone ever asks, I've never had an interesting encounter... smiling smiley

Date: July 31, 2007 07:52

1985 - went to see Mick Taylor in Dallas. As he was leaving the stage I approached him, he was startled a bit, but was cool. He said "let me go take a piss, and then I'll sign you an autograph". A great experience indeed.

Date: July 31, 2007 09:07

Mr Jimmy Wrote:
> I made drinks for keith and ronnie, when they were
> at the halfmoon pub in putney, at a wake for one
> of keiths former bodyguards, back in May 2000. Jo
> Wood was at the bar ordering, and, after making
> her two large vodka & oranges, she handed one back
> and said "Oh, better put another shot in there,
> otherwise ronnie won't taste it"
>
> Classic.
>
> Mick and Charlie were also there. Fantastic
> evening. I deliberatly brushed past Mick and Keith
> while collecting glasses. I know, what a sad
> tosser...
>
> Whilst chauffeuring, I have driven Lizzie Jagger
> and L'Wren Scott, amongst others.
>
> Have played the piano used by the beatles in Abbey
> Road studio 2. Far out...

Mr Jimmy I bow to ye...
...and don't forget, the Stones mentioned you in a song once...YCAGWYW I think it was....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-07-31 09:08 by NumberOneStonesFan.

Posted by: dunhill ()
Date: July 31, 2007 12:40

My mother's husband, a French Riviera resident and world traveller, once bumped into Bill Wyman's assistant, or some guy that used to work for him, during a trip in India.
The guy had problems with his credit card and Bernard, that's my mother's husband's name, lent him a few thousand francs.
While they were talking, as Bernard told him how much his son loved the Stones, so this guy invited him in Grasse to meet Bill Wyman but Bernard declined as he didn't wanna bother him.

Posted by: pay pay ()
Date: July 31, 2007 15:13

Elmo Lewis Wrote:
> Down in Georgia, most of our encounters are with
> aliens wanting sex while we're fishing.

Elmo, if its some of those weird space chicks like James T. Kirk used to get, we need to go fishing. NOW!

Date: July 31, 2007 16:56

....one of my sisters met Carrie Fischer while they were both on some kind of photo safari thing in India photographing tigers....and my sister is so clueless she didn't even know who Carrie was. When she found out Carrie was an actress my sister asked, "Oh, what kind of acting do you do? stage?"...to which Carrie replied, "Have you ever heard of Star Wars?"

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: July 31, 2007 17:07

My step mum was a personnal friend of Paul McCartneys. He wrote to her asking her to buy the Beatles first single (sold it several years later for hardly anything). She has the Beatles autographs without Ringo but Pete Best.

My brother was a landscape gardener. He was telling me how he had to deliver some Palm trees to this Guy he didn't recognise (some old hippy was his term!). Anyway, this guy shows him and his mate around the house and music room. Only turned out to be Jimmy Page!

Finally, I work for a photography Agency so many celebs come and go. Charles the photographer was at a recent Countryside benefit that Eric Clapton played at. He was introduced to Eric by his wife who used to date ol' slow hands years ago.....

Date: July 31, 2007 17:57

I hate name dropping. This is just for fun. I could name drop more than most. I grew up in Borehamwood, England. Haven´t heard of my town? Then try this. The Star Wars films. Superman. Even the muppets. All made in my tiny town. I got a 1,000 tales of fame. Like walking into the Red Lion for a pint and seeing Robert Palmer having a beer after filming across the road in our film studios. It was the video for Addicted To Love. For years on my way to school I passed the bus used in SummerHoliday with Cliff Richard. The tales go on and on in my town. But I´d swap it all to meet The Rolling Stones. That I definately would name drop.

Posted by: thumbprint ()
Date: July 31, 2007 22:11

I made a friend in college who is from the Bay Area & he said his mom used to date Bill Graham when he was little & that he had met lots of musicians. Blah, blah, blah...whatever... When the Stones played Oakland in '89 some friends and I traveled to see the show & went with said friend. We had some decent floor seats & between acts Bill Graham walked by & noticed my friend & said hi to him by name & asked to meet his friends. That was an intersting encounter for my friends & I.

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: August 1, 2007 02:33

Went to see Chas and Dave record a live album at Abbey Road studios ,late 70s if memory recalls , with a mate of mine and our respective girlfriends.
My mate Bob's girlfriend Liz was a big Clapton fan and as we made our way to stage area ( we all were at tables for some reason, can't remember exactly why ) there sitting at a table were Eric Clapton and Pattie Boyd with Dave Edmunds and his wife.
Liz asked Eric for his autograph ,but he was so out of it he couldn't hold the pen properly and Pattie had to help him sign .
We moved on a little embarrassed and watched the show and a good time was had by all .
On our way out Eric was in an even worse state and was lying on the floor and everyone had to step over him to get out.
Needless to say Liz took some ribbing about her superstar encounter for years afterwards

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1681
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home