Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Were you ALWAYS a Rolling Stones Fan?
Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: July 30, 2007 08:38

well i liked 'em right from the start in the late 1780's but it wasn't till that 1792 tour that i really saw the light...but yeh, always.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 30, 2007 10:14

Sine being about 11 [around 1971]. Though strangely...one of my earliest clear memories is from being around 6 and being fascinated by that funny man on TOTP jumping up and down and pulling faces. It really is one of my clearest and earliest childhood momories. Odd ;^)

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: July 30, 2007 10:33

Of course ,since 1963
My Mother and my Sister liked the Beatles, enough said

Posted by: loochie ()
Date: July 30, 2007 10:35

not really --- it took me about 20 years, but i finally figured it out !

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: July 30, 2007 10:38

Since I pinched my older brother's copy of Rolled Gold in about 1982 when I was 8.

Posted by: wesley ()
Date: July 30, 2007 11:13

My cousin had all the early 60s stuff incl RS as vinyls. I listened to them, but did´t got hooked. I was born in 1965 and the time I started to have some opinions of music I became a huge fan of Hurriganes, a hard rock band in Finland. In the beginning of 80s Hurriganes went downhill and suddenly I had an empty spot in my rocking soul.
I went to the music store and, randomly or not, bought Hot Rocks1. This time I was completely sold. I bought all the golden era records and, as you all can recall, the rock at the 80s was pure sh"t, total contradiction to RS.

The first fullfilment as a real fan happened in Gothenburg 1990 within Urban Jungle Tour and the day after tomorrow I will attend to my fifth RS concert.

..and, they´re number one for me!

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: July 30, 2007 14:11

rooster Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No...always Stones....before i knew the Stones
> Slade.......but i was 10 years old! forgive me!

Thats the same for me as well. Once i heard honky tonk women that was it for me.

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: July 30, 2007 14:15

since age 11, when I heard "The Last Time".

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: July 30, 2007 15:22

odean73 Wrote:
> rooster Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > No...always Stones....before i knew the Stones
> > Slade.......but i was 10 years old! forgive me!
>
> Thats the same for me as well. Once i heard honky
> tonk women that was it for me.

I also liked The Sweet!!Fox on the Run Ha Ha!!

Posted by: whiskey ()
Date: July 30, 2007 15:31

No, I wasnt allways a Stones fan. Prior to 63 I was into The Shadows, Elvis, Eddie Cochran, Gene Vincent, Johnnie O'Keefe. Before them I was really into Rosemary Clooney, she made me hot all over even though I was only 10.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: July 30, 2007 15:32

Oh i forgot Wanda Jackson!

Posted by: michrud ()
Date: July 30, 2007 15:33

15 years old, I found Get Yer Ya'Ya's Out in my dads record collection. I put on the record and the minute I heard JJF I was knocked out!! Totally!!

Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: July 31, 2007 06:04

No. I was brainwashed into the beatles as a child, with my dad playing them all the time.

Then........ In 1994, heard Love is Strong on the radio, then by coincidence was on holiday in Toronto at the time the stones were rehearsing for the Voodoo Lounge tour, and they did the RPM club. I read all the press, started to interest me, so I bought VL. When I got home I hired out Flashpoint from the local library, and that was it... HOOKED!

I now love the beatles and the stones in equal measures, but it's easier to get excited about the stones because they are still a funtioning band. The beatles are more like an old love affair that will always be there.

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: July 31, 2007 06:26

NO! I didn't know anything about any of the band except Mick Jagger. My uncle had a poster of Mick in his bedroom wearing the sequined jumpsuit, makeup, and showing a nipple. That was way too crazy for my 7 year old self. He scared me.

I loved the Beatles ever since I can remember.

I got Hot Rocks because some boy I liked was into them, the only songs I had ever heard of were Satisfaction, Ruby Tuesday, and possibly GOOMC.

I took one look at that photo of Keith and fell in love, I didn't even know his name, what he played or anything - and the rest is history!

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: July 31, 2007 09:33

No, I wasn't ALWAYS a RS fan cause I remember right after I was born for months and months - maybe even almost a year - I was a very big fan of breast milk..... after that I slowly got into Captain Kangaroo and Hobo Kelly..... then of course that vocally high pitched sh*thead mouse that had his own amusement park, movie studio, and TV show. No, I must say it was quite a long journey before I became a true blue Stones fan.....

Posted by: thumbprint ()
Date: July 31, 2007 22:42

I think I was born a music lover but in 1976 the Beatles' Rock N Roll album came out. It was a re-packaged double album of their up-tempo hits. As a radio promo they gave the album away every hour on the hour to the right number caller. This went on for a week & then every winners name went in a drawing & the grand prize winner got every Beatles ablum & every solo album released up to that point. I was 14 years old at the time & I won the grand prize. I went from instead of playing ball after school to my new music collection (some fifty albums in all). It certainly changed my life & problably not for the better. Well, I loved the Beatles & read everything about them that I could find (of which there was not a whole lot out there like there is now). Of course everything I read was always Beatles OR Stones & since I loved the Beatles I simply assumed I didn't like the Stones. Soon I started going to Rock shows & I loved them & went to all I could. It was 1979 when The New Barbarians came to town. Two Rolling Stones & special guests...whatever...I just went because it was a live rock & roll show. Well, from the very first song I fell in love with Keith & the music hit me like a ton of bricks. I bought my first Stones album the next day & I've been all about the Stones ever since. From that night on, for me the Beatles are a pop band & the Stones are rock and roll.

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: July 31, 2007 22:45

I was born with jerry Lee Lewis and the other Rock'n`ROllers like Chuck Berry... the next step was the Beatles because my dad was a huge fan of them and he disliked the stones, so I started and I'm hooked since I'm 11.

Posted by: mofur ()
Date: July 31, 2007 22:50

FrankM Wrote:
> In the seventees I was actually a huge Kiss fan.
> Now don't beat me up, I was only about ten years
> old and really didn't know squat about rock and
> roll.
>
> Then I bought the Beatles greatest hits album
> (62-66) and subsequently got hooked on them. I got
> into The Stones around 82' when I was about
> fifteen and they have been my favorite band ever
> since that time.
>
> Still have some great memories of going to the
> record store after school and buying all their
> albums. Sometimes I wish I could erase The Rolling
> Stones from my memory so I could rediscover them
> all over again and feel that magic once again.

I know exactly what you mean!!! I've turned on quite a few people to the Rolling Stones in my time and every time I envy them - they get to discover them from scratch!!

It's the same feeling I have when I introduce somebody to Raymond Chandler - I wish I could read his books "like a virgin" every time ;-)

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: July 31, 2007 23:52

I think I was allready born as a Rolling Stones fan.

Posted by: mjol ()
Date: August 1, 2007 00:40

No, first.. Around 10 years, I was fan of a Norwegian band called "Return", then Guns N' Roses, and after that Aerosmith.. Then came the Stones. smiling smiley

- mjOL

Posted by: David700 ()
Date: August 1, 2007 01:13

having a stones fan brother 7 years older sure helps a 10 year old in 1968 to listen to his copies of 12 x 5, Aftermath and High Tides and Green Grass,great way to start. Exile was the first new album i bought when it came into stores and it has just been an absolute unashamed undying love for England's Newest Hitmakers ever since.
(Gotta admit in the '80s being a stones fan in the mid part of that decade was tough in some social circles. But then they became cool again!)

Posted by: ride on baby ()
Date: August 1, 2007 01:57

I was 18, Some Girls first album I bought.
Before Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Deep Purple :-)

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: August 1, 2007 16:01

I like the Stones and Beatles equally but for much different reasons. I think the Beatles might be the superior studio band (although how much of that has to do with the people they surround themselves with might be open for debate), but the Stones are the superior live band.

I got Let It Be when it came out (I was 6) and sort of worked backwards from there as the years passed.

I came into the Stones rather late, Miss You was popular at the time, but when I heard Beast of Burden and Shattered, I was hooked! Got Hot Rocks, loved sides 3 & 4, and much like I did with the Beatles, started to work backwards from Some Girls.

Start Me Up just added fuel to the fire and I got to see them live for the first time on that '81 tour and haven't missed a U.S. tour since (seeing them twice on the last one).

Posted by: roby ()
Date: August 1, 2007 16:41

Since age 8, 1978. AC/DC and The rolling Stones.

Posted by: pay pay ()
Date: August 1, 2007 17:08

rooster Wrote:
> No...always Stones....before i knew the Stones
> Slade.......but i was 10 years old! forgive me!

I love Slade!

Posted by: harlito1969 ()
Date: August 1, 2007 21:40

My personal favorite bands transition:

Kiss
Fleetwood Mac
Rolling Stones
Duran Duran - Rolling Stones
Depeche Mode - Rolling Stones
Led Zeppelin - Rolling Stones
Cat Stevens - Rolling Stones

Once the Stones came in to play they never went away but other bands came around. I seem to be all over the place with this list.
You can glue in Erasure there around Duran Duran and Depeche Mode. Is that glue or something else?

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: August 1, 2007 23:06

Yes and no - I always loved the early Stones from the first time I heard them, but as I grew up and the music changed there was a long period from about 1972 to the late 80's when I stopped listening, not only to the Stones but to rock and pop in general, and got into classical, folk, early music and world music instead.

Around 1989 I bought the London Years collection (in fact the first Stones music I ever actually owned, since I never had a record player in my teenage years). Love at first listen. Ever since then I have been working on catching up with all the music I missed (Stones and otherwise) during those years. Lots of the names that most of you are familiar with are still new to me, but I'm sure that one thing is as true for me as it was in the 60's; the Stones are THE band I love.

I'm still very much a classical listener and concertgoer too, but I am so glad that rock & roll came back into my life. I'm a little bit like Keith in my listening habits: "I listen to Mozart, and I listen to AC/DC" (except in my case it's Bach, Beethoven and the Rolling Stones).

Posted by: brainer ()
Date: August 1, 2007 23:25

After Brians death,i didn't buy any Stones record.But when i heard ABB ,in 2005,i started to buy every song of them i could find. WHAT A GREAT BAND!!

Posted by: ROADRUNNER ()
Date: August 2, 2007 00:59

I discovered both bands in 1975, and I didnt doubt. Stones forever.

Posted by: hooligan ()
Date: September 11, 2007 02:35

ALWAYS...
I WAS 12 AND IT WAS WHEN I SAW THE VIDEO CLIP EMOTIONAL RESCUE.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1999
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home