Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT - The CLASH
Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 30, 2007 15:55

Count me in.
London Calling is one the greatest albums ever made...and one of the few that has some of that really powerful atmosphere and character that the Stones' best work has.

Posted by: JAHKEITH ()
Date: July 30, 2007 15:56

Agree wiyh all the plaudits here.Joe indeed left far too early.Check out his last "Streetcore" with a tremendous version of "Redemption song" You can hear this on you tube with some nice footage,moving stuff.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: July 30, 2007 16:00

They performed with The Who...i have this dvd its good!

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: July 30, 2007 17:50

For those of you who are real Clash nuts, Vince White, guitarist with The Clash Canaret - aka Crap Clash or Clash 2 or The Clash without Mick and Topper - has written a book called Out of Control, about his time with the band. That Joe comes across as a snivelling, cowardly, two-faced scumbag weasle is an understatement. Bernie Rhodes fares equally badly. And Paul Simenon is presented as a dumb blonde. It's a cracking read:

[www.amazon.co.uk]

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: July 30, 2007 18:06

I also like The Clash...

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: July 30, 2007 18:29

Clash was a little rascal before The Who in 1982 because PA level was light and shade.
Don't oppress warm-ups.

Posted by: loochie ()
Date: July 30, 2007 20:33

i saw the WHO with the CLASH opening for them at Rich Stadium in Buffalo in 1981-82(?)
Talk about two great bands for the price of one ! smiling smiley

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: July 30, 2007 20:35

You did??? Lucky you! Cheers!

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: July 30, 2007 21:17

I really love them, also the mescaleros thing

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: July 30, 2007 22:30

Greatist band of the 80s. Lots of energy and great song writing. Strummer and Jones had the same yin/yang partnership as Jagger/Richards or Lennon/McCartney.Strummer more the rebel and political, and Jones with a pop sense.I caught them in 1983 at the US Festaval in California which may have been the last performance they gave as the original band.Not sure.Caught them again with Strummer leading another line-up, but it wasn't the same.

Give Em Enough Rope was the first album I bought by them.Great energy on that one. I felt after and maybe including part of London Calling they started to loose their edge.

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: July 30, 2007 22:50

Live they were the best band I ever saw, no one was as powerful as the Clash at their peak.

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: July 30, 2007 22:52

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 30, 2007 23:15

mighty stork Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Greatist band of the 80s.>

Give Em Enough Rope was the first album I bought
> by them.Great energy on that one. I felt after and
> maybe including part of London Calling they
> started to loose their edge.

I'm a little confused at this one - London Calling came out at the very end of 1979 and you thought by then theyd lost their edge, yet you reckon they were the best band of the 80s?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 30, 2007 23:17

JAHKEITH Wrote:
> Agree wiyh all the plaudits here.Joe indeed left
> far too early.Check out his last "Streetcore" with
> a tremendous version of "Redemption song" You can
> hear this on you tube with some nice
> footage,moving stuff.

I think thats the same take as the one used on Johnny Cash's "Unearthed" boxed set, except that the 'Streetcore' version has Joe singing the entire song instead of the two of them trading verses.

Posted by: spikey ()
Date: July 30, 2007 23:27

For a while there, it looked like they were gonna single-handedly redefine what a rock band could do. But, plain and simple the first record and Give 'Em Enough Rope, just f---in' rock!

Posted by: mofur ()
Date: July 31, 2007 00:00

YUP

Personally, I always reckoned that Clash would be the ones to carry the mantle once Stones threw in the towel......the next "Big Light" ....

...well, Stones outlived them with a few years *lol*

But what a great band - both albums and singles....don't know too much about live as I only ever saw the "Frankenclash" (thanks!) version live - and that was bullshit!!

Posted by: Halup ()
Date: July 31, 2007 00:43

Like Loochie, I also saw The Clash with The Who in 1982 in Seattle. I was only a couple people back form the stage and thought they were fantastic that night. Unfortunately it was the only time I saw them, but I did see Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros 2 times in 2001. One of those times was at a Tower Records instore performance, where they played for almost an hour and then they signed whatever you brought.

I've gone to a lot of instore signings and this one was fantastic. Usually you get rushed through the line and the whole band sits behind a table signing your stuff, which is often limited to only the new album. With Joe though, he stood up the entire time. We were lined up outside the store after the performance and as we walked in, Joe met each and every person, shook hands, made sure you got a photo op if you wanted and signed everything you had. It was a young crowd there and I think I would have had to have been the only one who actually saw The Clash. I told Joe I saw them with The Who and he asked me where I saw them and talked about Pete Townshend being a great guy. It's an experience I really cherish, along with the photo and signatures I got from him.

I saw them a few months later at the Troubadour here in L.A. with a crowd of about 300-350. I was standing dead center, about 7-8 people back from the stage and it seemed to me that Joe was looking directly at me as he sang a lot of the songs. I may very well have been a focus point for him as being 6"4" tall (1.93 meters), so I would have stood out in the crowd.

He was a great talent and friendly, obliging guy when it came to his fans. He's truly gone at far too young an age.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: July 31, 2007 06:10

How can one dismiss this band? They were flat out great. Their albums still sound fresh, and their they were awesome live. I loved the Pistols and the Clash. I thought the Clash took it to a higher level before it all fell apart. First date with my wife was a Clash show at the Aragon in Chicago. I figured she was a keeper, but if she liked these guys the deal was really on. She did and I have been with her ever since. She gets a little misty eyes with some Clash tunes to this day. Ah to be young again....

A pity Joe isn't still with us. A real crusader. Long live the Clash!

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: July 31, 2007 09:49

Great group and was lucky to see them live & what a live group as well.

Posted by: loochie ()
Date: July 31, 2007 10:47

Halup Wrote:
> Like Loochie, I also saw The Clash with The Who in
> 1982 in Seattle. I was only a couple people back
> form the stage and thought they were fantastic
> that night. Unfortunately it was the only time I
> saw them, but I did see Joe Strummer and the
> Mescaleros 2 times in 2001. One of those times was
> at a Tower Records instore performance, where they
> played for almost an hour and then they signed
> whatever you brought.
>
> I've gone to a lot of instore signings and this
> one was fantastic. Usually you get rushed through
> the line and the whole band sits behind a table
> signing your stuff, which is often limited to only
> the new album. With Joe though, he stood up the
> entire time. We were lined up outside the store
> after the performance and as we walked in, Joe met
> each and every person, shook hands, made sure you
> got a photo op if you wanted and signed everything
> you had. It was a young crowd there and I think I
> would have had to have been the only one who
> actually saw The Clash. I told Joe I saw them with
> The Who and he asked me where I saw them and
> talked about Pete Townshend being a great guy.
> It's an experience I really cherish, along with
> the photo and signatures I got from him.
>
> I saw them a few months later at the Troubadour
> here in L.A. with a crowd of about 300-350. I was
> standing dead center, about 7-8 people back from
> the stage and it seemed to me that Joe was looking
> directly at me as he sang a lot of the songs. I
> may very well have been a focus point for him as
> being 6"4" tall (1.93 meters), so I would have
> stood out in the crowd.
>
> He was a great talent and friendly, obliging guy
> when it came to his fans. He's truly gone at far
> too young an age.

ha ha! we were directly in front of the stage too, except on the opposite side of the stadium winking smiley can't remember if they had big-screen concerts then, i don't think so...

for some reason i just remembered about seeing joe strummer in that great jarmusch film Mystery Train, "about" Elvis. He played some TOTAL loser with Steve Buscemi and someone else - i can't hardly remember it now, but it's just LOL hilarious even thinking about it...for me it sort of made the whole film smiling smiley

[en.wikipedia.org])

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-07-31 10:51 by loochie.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: August 1, 2007 14:04

Take a look here to see what Mick Jones is up to these days:

[www.carbonsiliconinc.com]

I saw Carbon Silicon at the Isle of Wight. Not the Clash, but well worth a listen.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: August 1, 2007 16:46

GREAT band. Energy and had something to SAY.

I only got to see them twice: once at a stadium gig opening for the Who (great double bill) and once sans Mick Jones and Topper headon after the awful Cut the Crap album. I also saw Mick Jones with Big Audio Dynamite in the mid 80s.

Joe Strummer was THE MAN.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2649
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home