Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Led Zeppelin Readies Fall Reissue Bonanza (OT)
Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: July 28, 2007 00:23

Led Zeppelin fans will have a lot to celebrate this fall thanks to the release of three new titles in multiple configurations. First up on Nov. 13 via Atlantic/Rhino is a two-disc, 24-track best-of, "Mothership." A deluxe reissue of the soundtrack to the 1976 concert film "The Song Remains the Same" with previously unreleased material and a new DVD edition of that movie will arrive Nov. 20 via Atlantic/Rhino and Warner Home Video, respectively.

"Mothership," tracks for which were chosen by surviving members Robert Plant, Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones, represents all eight of the band's studio albums. In addition to a two-disc set, the album will also be available in both "deluxe" and "collector's" editions with a DVD featuring varied live content from the previously released "Led Zeppelin DVD." A 4-LP vinyl package will also be sold.

As for the "The Song Remains the Same" soundtrack, it now sports six songs not included on the original album: "Black Dog," "Over the Hills and Far Away," "Misty Mountain Hop," "Since I've Been Loving You," "The Ocean" and "Heartbreaker." The album and film were recorded during a July 1973 stand at New York's Madison Square Garden.

"The Song Remains the Same" DVD includes all 14 songs from the original concert for the first time plus previously unreleased performances of "Over the Hills and Far Away," "Celebration Day," "The Ocean" and "Misty Mountain Hop." Rounding out the bonus items are a 1976 BBC interview with Plant and band manager Peter Grant and contemporary footage from the robbery at New York's Drake Hotel during the MSG run.

Beyond a standard DVD, the film will be sold in both HD DVD and Blu-ray formats, as well as a limited collector's edition that includes the soundtrack, a T-shirt with the original album art and reproductions of memorabilia from the era.

All the catalog activity gives further heft to rumors Plant, Page and Jones will reunite to perform at a proposed Ahmet Ertegun tribute concert this fall in London. Although no details have been announced, the group is also said to be mulling offers to tour under the Led Zeppelin name in 2008 with the late John Bonham's son Jason filling in on drums.

Here is the track list for "Mothership:

Disc One:
"Good Times Bad Times"
"Communication Breakdown"
"Dazed and Confused"
"Babe I'm Gonna Leave You"
"Whole Lotta Love"
"Ramble On"
"Heartbreaker"
"Immigrant Song"
"Since I've Been Loving You"
"Rock and Roll"
"Black Dog"
"When the Levee Breaks"
"Stairway to Heaven"

Disc Two:
"The Song Remains the Same"
"Over the Hills and Far Away"
"D'Yer Maker"
"No Quarter"
"Trampled Under Foot"
"Houses of the Holy"
"Kashmir"
"Nobody's Fault But Mine"
"Achilles Last Stand"
"In the Evening"
"All My Love"

Here is the track list for "The Song Remains the Same":

Disc One:
"Rock and Roll"
"Celebration Day"
"Black Dog"
"Over the Hills and Far Away"
"Misty Mountain Hop"
"Since I've Been Loving You"
"No Quarter"
"The Song Remains the Same"
"The Rain Song"
"The Ocean"

Disc Two:
"Dazed and Confused"
"Stairway to Heaven"
"Moby Dick"
"Heartbreaker"
"Whole Lotta Love"

Source : billboard.com

Re: Led Zeppelin Readies Fall Reissue Bonanza (OT)
Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: July 28, 2007 00:48

Good news about the the extra tracks to the "Song Remains The Same" soundtrack but the movie was pretty bad in my view and has not "aged" well. As to the Mothership it sounds like another repackage to me. Still, 2 out of 3 ain't bad! Thanks for the heads up!

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: July 28, 2007 00:58

Wow. Thier just the opposite of the Stones. They'll open up the vaults,but won't tour. The Stones will tour,but won't open the vaults.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: July 28, 2007 02:18

Do we really need 'Song Remains The Same' on dvd? With the bootleggers releasing stuff left and right, it's kinda redundent.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: July 28, 2007 02:31

Yes!! We need SRTS on DVD!! So many people dislike the album and movie, but I always thought they were great, obvious overdubs and all. I am really pleased this release is coming, and just wish it was sooner than Nov.

I especially enjoy the first few seconds of the album... crowd noise... then where hear Bonham moan something unintelligible, then the famous hi-hat/snare intro, then WHAM! The guitar sound is SO BIG!! Studio manufactured or not, it sounds great, gives me goose bumps and everything.

And plus, if it wasn't for this album, "Does anybody remember laughter??" would mean nothing, except for the lucky folks who saw the tour.

I LOVE LZ live material. They were legendary performers and this SRTS album is just fantastic, imho!! Thanks for the info, barbabang!!

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: July 28, 2007 05:14

I would like it if re-releasing old material really would mean something. Sure they clean things up with digital equipment, but it"s still some thing that we have heard before. Repackaging should give us something new or diferent. I would buy a CD of alternate versions on live material before one that has anyones "hand-picked" songs.

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: July 28, 2007 06:03

no the rover? come on !0000000000

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: July 28, 2007 09:57

As Gazza pointed out on another thread, another compilation is pretty much pointless at this juncture. Mothership has virtually the same track listing as Early Days/Later Days. The only real difference between the two is Mothership is one two CD collection and ED/LD is two single CD releases.

The Song Remains the Same reissue is cool tho, especially since they're including the entire concert this time around. The entire thing had never been released officially. Now that they've officially released concerts from '72 (the excellent How The West Was Won) and '73, it would be great to see some stuff from '75 and '77 come out.

"It wasn't my fault ... liquors drunkened me!" Homer Simpson

Posted by: Fr34kzi11a ()
Date: July 28, 2007 10:28

I wonder what Robert, Jimmy, and John Paul have against 'Fool In The Rain'...

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 29, 2007 14:12

Tate Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes!! We need SRTS on DVD!! So many people
> dislike the album and movie, but I always thought
> they were great, obvious overdubs and all. I am
> really pleased this release is coming, and just
> wish it was sooner than Nov.
>
> I especially enjoy the first few seconds of the
> album... crowd noise... then where hear Bonham
> moan something unintelligible, then the famous
> hi-hat/snare intro, then WHAM! The guitar sound
> is SO BIG!! Studio manufactured or not, it sounds
> great, gives me goose bumps and everything.
>
> And plus, if it wasn't for this album, "Does
> anybody remember laughter??" would mean nothing,
> except for the lucky folks who saw the tour.
>
> I LOVE LZ live material. They were legendary
> performers and this SRTS album is just fantastic,
> imho!! Thanks for the info, barbabang!!

Totally agree. For a while after its release, the live Stairway got just as much airplay as the studio version. Nowadays you never hear it played at all. I also prefer these versions of TSRTS and Rain Song to the originals. The movie did a good job of preserving and expanding upon the fabled Zep mystique. The only thing I really hated was @#$%& Peter Grant's little staged-for-the-camera performance in which he harrasses that poor guy selling photos, all the while moaning about the "exploitation" of Led Zeppelin.

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: July 29, 2007 14:46

Hello,

If you don't think that Peter Grant was,ahem,colourful please read this story...

[www.ijamming.net]

Cheers,

Si.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: July 29, 2007 17:21

Led Zep fans can consider themselves happy...with all those diamonds..ok we got big bang...but aint it nice to go back in time sometimes! The day is comming...when we wont be around to see!!

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: July 30, 2007 14:31

Announced after Page went to court to stop some bootlegger stealing his money.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1763
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home