Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT Eric Clapton John Mayer today
Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: July 20, 2007 19:06

Good Morning America TV show featured John Mayer with special guest Eric Clapton at Bryant Park in New York City this morning. Played "Crossroads" together...really cool.

Eric continues to raise money for his drug rehab in Antigua and they unveilled a special Strat...100 only...with all profits to this charity.

Re: OT Eric Clapton John Mayer today
Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: July 21, 2007 05:28

How does John Mayer get to play with these great guitarists like Clapton and Buddy Guy? I find his style soulless and unemotional. His licks are not all that much. Agree or disagree?

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: July 21, 2007 07:19

I feel he's too young to have credibility in the blues scene. He's very good, but in a manufactured way. He got big too fast. Not that I am jealous...

Posted by: out of my head ()
Date: July 21, 2007 07:28

Totally agree. His "Trio" CD is good to listen to once or twice. His licks are very generic and and remind me of the Garza dude from Los Lonely Boys. Tecnically proficient but DULL and un-inspired. Very one dimensional. Guys like Clapton, Guy, etc have used the same musical genre for their whole careers yet still manage to sound fresh and new all the time. Although as of late, Clapton does tend to sound a bit redundant at times. However, he is merely repeating licks that he actually made his own. Mayer is a good pop song writer and player but his music does not have a timeless feel. I can sit in my living room and try to emulate Stevie or Jimi. Thats what Mayer does. It gets old quick. Just not original enough. "John Mayer Trio" CD is a good listen however cuz of Jordan's drumming. Now his drumming is definitely a unique distinct sound and style. X-Pensive Winos. GREAT BAND. I dont dislike Mayer but he just doesnt have that unique sound. Every gutarist emulates or copies someone else but at some point you have to find your own sound and style. He has not done that.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: July 21, 2007 07:53

Don't know if Mayer will be considered a "great" ten years from now but I assumed he was just another cute pop idol with a talent for songwriting and the usual admiration for Hendrix. Then three or four years ago I was channel surfing and there he was on "Austin City Limits" jamming with Buddy Guy, and I was VERY impressed.

Eric Clapton clearly enjoyed every note of "Crossroads" this morning trading off with Mayer.

Posted by: out of my head ()
Date: July 21, 2007 07:57

just remembered

I set my DVR for that this morning

need to check it out

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: July 21, 2007 08:11

Why does John Mayer have the blues? That is the real question?

Was Starbucks closed?

(kind of borrowed that idea from George Carlin)

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: July 21, 2007 08:22

stonesrule Wrote:
-----------------------------------------------------
>
> Eric Clapton clearly enjoyed every note of
> "Crossroads" this morning trading off with Mayer.

It's nice to see a smile on Eric's face every now and then, The same guy who after Playing with Yoko Ono at the Rock n Roll circus said he was impressed with her.

Posted by: winter ()
Date: July 21, 2007 08:34

when i saw him on a dvd from clapton's crossroads guitar festival (from 2003-4), i changed my mind. yes, he's poppy/cleancut/safe and his singing annoys me, but after seeing that jam he did, i think he's talented on the guitar.

Date: July 21, 2007 08:37

My favorite recent guitar work of his is Stormy Monday from the Cream Reunion 2005

Date: July 21, 2007 19:07

I agree as well, however, at least he plays an instrument which is lacking with todays music scene. What kills him is his sappy tunes. Play some rock and develop.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: July 21, 2007 19:09

Is John Lee Hooker still alive?

Date: July 22, 2007 02:54

No, he died about 2 years ago.

Date: July 22, 2007 09:28

Thats sad i like that blues!

Date: July 22, 2007 11:14

Pick up the DVD set the American Folk Blues Festival Vol. 1 - 3 plus Live in England. you will see performances by all the great blues artists in the early to mis 60's and the quality, though mostly black and white, is great!

Date: July 22, 2007 11:17

ok!!

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: July 22, 2007 16:44

I never thought too much about him myself until I saw him when he opened for the Stones and for two nights I sat through his set...and I was impressed. It was not bad at all! He has a style, he didn't strike me as a Hendrix clone and that was a god thing. He had chops! You don't have to be old and withered to play the blues!

Date: July 22, 2007 17:19

but you need some rooster days

Posted by: wineaux ()
Date: July 23, 2007 05:51

John Lee Hooker died a little over 6 years ago... the only reason I remember is because we were vacationing in California and were in the same town that he died in at the time.

His son, John Lee Hooker, Jr. is still alive and kicking though. Have seen him at the Tampa Bay Blues Fest and he's pretty good!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1788
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home