Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Somehow topic: Jimi Hendrix
Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: July 18, 2007 00:32

After seeing some Hendrix shows on tv I have to say that his playing was original and sexy, he had a sense of humour. I respect him but I have to say that he seems to be overrated as a guitarist to me. There are some great sounds but rubbish sounds as well, and playing with one's teeth is funny, nothing more. I remember Mick Taylor saying that hearing Hendrix made him want to give up playing. What did impress him so much? I think that Taylor and others can keep up with Jimi. Do not get me wrong, Hendrix was good, but he got hyped a little.

Re: Somehow topic: Jimi Hendrix
Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: July 18, 2007 00:37

the feeling for the blues.......jimi h

Posted by: john r ()
Date: July 18, 2007 00:53

No, I don't think he was/is overhyped. Listen to his studio work especially, or read McDermot's books, among others.
BTW the Stones connesctions include the fact that Keith's GF (Linda Keith) caught Jimi at the Cafe Wha NYC summer '66 & turned the Stones onto him; Oldham wasn't interested, but Chas Chandler was, a month or two later he was recording w/ the Experience in London. Then,of course Brian introduced him back to the USA at Montery June '67

Posted by: cc ()
Date: July 18, 2007 00:59

one thing that might help you appreciate hendrix is to look at the dates of his recordings, then the dates of those that followed him. he had a huge impact. of course we should also recognize that influence is mutual and he was part of the scene that he played in. he admired clapton, beck, and townshend, and was an enormous dylan, beatles, and (perhaps less so) stones fan.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: July 18, 2007 01:00

Playing behind his back, doing forward rolls, setting his guitar on fire were all tricks because Jimi was really very insecure about his playing and felt he had to put on a show in addition to laying down some of the most incredible guitar playing ever heard. I think that he was truly UNDER-RATED and the depth of his talent was never fully appreciated. I have listened to a huge amount of Jimi's music, bootlegs, studio recordings, videos like Monterey Pop and I am amazed by him still. Yes, he also had the touch, the real talent for playing the blues above all, as vancouver pointed out. I lament his passing because we'll never hear the music that would have been created; it was Clapton and Townsend who BOTH said that after seeing Jimi play at the Bag O' Nails in London they'd rather not pick up their guitars again. McCartney agreed with them! Jimi blew them away and their girlfriends found him very sexy so that added to their jealousy.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: July 18, 2007 01:01

Today there may be a lot of guitarists who could do what Hendrix did, (because they have something to folloe) but he was an innovator. McCarntey tells the story of a radio station in London Playing the Song Sgt Pepper a couple weeks before it was released, Hendrix heard it and played it live that night, insisting Paul be present at the show.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: July 18, 2007 01:11

Yes, Bluz, I heard that story! He was indeed innovative. Check out the rather unknown " Rainbow Bridge" cd and see how magnificant his slow bluesy style was, and not just for that time.

Date: July 18, 2007 01:21

I agree. He was a great blues player, Red House is still a personal favorite of mine. What I was referring to above was that with the legacy Hendrix left, I lot of people copied his style so you might be able to find someone who plays as well as he did, but I have not heard anyone with the same originality or creativity. Also, On September 14, 1968 I went to my first concert, Jimi Hendrix at the Hollywood Bowl. I also remember him making a comment about how upset he was that Cream was breaking up. What a great first concert. Cream's farewell was my second.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 18, 2007 01:28

Jimi Hendrix - Mick Jagger MSG New York 1969 - Eddie Kramer

ROCKMAN

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 18, 2007 01:38

Hendrix overrated? I have heard alot of baloney in my time, but this takes the mayo. Nobody has even come close before, during or since. Not even close.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: July 18, 2007 06:27

Windmelody,

When you make a statement like that it shows how much you know about rock music.

Research the guitarists of the time and you will find quotes from them about Hendrix and then come on back and have a real discussion when you have been educated. Oh by the way it would help if you listened to some of his live shows as well.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: July 18, 2007 06:36

Play loud on a decent stereo:
Axis: Bold As Love
Electric Ladyland
First Rays Of The New Rising Sun
Are You Experienced?
South Saturn Delta
Band Of Gypsys / Fillmore Concerts
...and then there's plenty more live stuff, a great box set, etc

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: July 18, 2007 07:04

Let's face it, Jimi was the real deal. He was original in his interpretation of how a guitar can be used to create music, and a gifted songwriter and musical interpretor as well. He raised the sonic bar, and no one has raised it higher since. Many great players we can talk about, but few with Jimi's vision and feel. Maybe Robert Johnson. I am surprised to hear people dismissive of his work. Along with his talent, Jimi had what Otis wrote and sang about along with Aretha. RESPECT, from his peers. The only thing about Jimi that was disappointing, he died way to young. Glasses high everyone to Jimi Hendrix!

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: July 18, 2007 08:12

BluzDude, your taste in music must be impeccable. Assume you went to Hollywood Bowl more to see Hendrix open than to see headlining Mamas and Papas.

Do you remember that The Experience opened with "Sergeant Pepper?"

Got any more memories of that show.

Was impressed that you followed this with Cream farewell concert. Did you happen to see Jimi, Mitch and George Harrison in the audience?

Posted by: barking paul ()
Date: July 18, 2007 10:54

Sgt Pepper in London:

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: July 18, 2007 15:12

For those who have any doubts concerning Hendrix´s ability:

Posted by: pay pay ()
Date: July 18, 2007 15:46

Jimi was not overated. Jimi could make a guitar do things that no mere human could understand. You have to remember the time of his playing. There were lots of great players who got some really good tones, Clapton, Beck, Page and lots of others, but Jimi was something else altogether.

He is underated as a singer. He had a great voice. He didn't think so.

I love Stone Free, If 6 Was9, and Red House the best, but really love all Hendrix music.

Posted by: grizzlybear ()
Date: July 18, 2007 16:22

don't forget that beautiful " Sunshine Of Your Love" played by Jimi

Date: July 18, 2007 19:19

Stone, the Hendrix show I went (9/14/68) Hendrix was the headliner, the support acts were Vanilla Fudge, Soft Machine and Aire Appearent(?).
At the cream show, my most vivid memory, other than Cream's music was Richie Blackmore taking Ian Pace'e symbles and throwing them on the ground. Deep Purple with Rod Evans singing was the warm up act. 2 months later I went to see the Doors with Jerry Lee Lewis and Sweatwater. It was probably the worst concert I have ever been to as Morrisan sang 6 songs and sat down and read poetry for about 30 minutes.

Date: July 18, 2007 19:27

BluzDude, thanks for sharpening my memory re that 1968 show. It all comes back to me now...she said dreamily. I was in London thus missed that Bowl show. The Experience's first show at the Bowl was not long after Monterey Pop

I'm also impressed that you went to see the Doors with Jerry Lee. Yes, that concert was pretty much crap. I recall being very disappointed with the great Jerry Lee who simply shouldn't have been on that bill and was frothing backstage and quite obscene re having to lower himself to appear with the Doors.

Anyway, you certainly had good taste in your early concerts. Assume you saw the Stones at the Forum in 1969?

Date: July 18, 2007 19:32

As the audience booed Jerry Lee "I hope you all die of heart attacks"

69, The beakfast show at the Forum with tina, the sun was coming up as the show ended.

Date: July 18, 2007 19:51

Yes! Remember that well re Jerry Lee.

Think this particular Forum show could never be forgotten by anyone who was there.

Who have you seen in concert in the last couple of years that you really enjoyed?

Date: July 18, 2007 19:58

I'm not into much of anything post 1990, but my son did take me to see Green Day and I have to admit I was blown away by their live show. I also saw Ray Davies last year, who I think has come out about 2 years ago now, with the best newer CD of any classic Rock artist. I never get tired of listening to "Other Peoples Lives". I also saw Robert Plant on his last go-around, but nothing will compare to the 18 times I've seen Led Zeppelin. I am really looking forward to the return of AC/DC, whenever that happens

Date: July 18, 2007 20:08

if you have the time and interest email me sometime stonesrule@gmail.com

sharon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-07-19 00:32 by stonesrule.

Date: July 18, 2007 20:13

I will, when I am on my home computer.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: July 18, 2007 20:24

I didn't realize AC/DC was not around... can't imagine they'll be much different when they return.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 18, 2007 20:25

Overrated !!! Man it's that feeling and tension, sometimes it looks like there are two guitar players

Posted by: rlngstns ()
Date: July 18, 2007 20:26

bluzdude....zep 18 times?...you my hero...missed the last tour b/c of JB...had tix for montreal and buffalo and then...it happened...so bummed

Date: July 18, 2007 20:32

They are, they just haven't toured in 5 years. I have a most euphoric feeling when I go to an AC/DC show, I hope they never changed. Angus Young once got really mad at a journalist when they said AC/DC has 11 albums that all sound alike. His response was, "No! we have 12 albums that all sound exactly alike."

Date: July 18, 2007 20:42

bluzdude....zep 18 times?...

Yes, 16 times at the Forum and twice at the San Diego Sports Arena (all with no warm-up act). I missed the Long Beach Shows and I didn't see them in Anaheim when Jethro Tull opened for them

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2076
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home