Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

shine a light soundtrack question
Posted by: artinis1 ()
Date: July 14, 2007 20:38

from nick,

don't movie soundtracks usually come out the week of the movie or right around the release date, if this is so, then we should get a stones live cd around september 18th, does this sound right, any info is appreciated

Re: shine a light soundtrack question
Posted by: winter ()
Date: July 14, 2007 21:20

since it's a music/concert/documentary, i don't think there will be a soundtrack. you'll get to buy the dvd a few months after the movie is out. most movie soundtracks are built around the songs that pop up in the movie, no need to do that with a concert film, although there have been some very successful 'music' movie soundtracks like Oh Brother Where Art Thou(?) etc.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 14, 2007 21:21

If there was going to be a soundtrack album in September, we would know already. If a live CD materializes, and the Nordic Vikings have heard that one is being discussed, I suspect it will be Christmas or 2008 and it won't tie in with either the film or DVD set in terms of marketing. Likely we will get another small NO SECURITY-type release with a few hits that haven't been on CD recently (JJF, Tumbling Dice, Midnight Rambler), recent songs, and a few surprises (Get Off of My Cloud, As Tears Go By, maybe She's So Cold or She Was Hot). They've completely ruined my full enjoyment of THE BIGGEST BANG set by placing protection on the DVDs that prevents my laptop from burning WAV files for me to play in the car. I wasted $65 trying to find software that would work and none has.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: July 14, 2007 21:36

Rocky there is a program call "DVD Audio Extractor". It works flawlessly and will rip into any format from DVD. I highly recommend it.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 14, 2007 21:50

artinis1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> from nick,
>
> don't movie soundtracks usually come out the week
> of the movie or right around the release date, if
> this is so, then we should get a stones live cd
> around september 18th, does this sound right, any
> info is appreciated

who says there will be one?

The fact that Jagger has a solo 'best of' album coming out around the same time as the film would suggest there wont be one.

I think that if there was, we'd know about it by now.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: July 15, 2007 00:13

flacnvinyl Wrote:
> Rocky there is a program call "DVD Audio
> Extractor". It works flawlessly and will rip into
> any format from DVD. I highly recommend it.

hey dude, thanks for that!!

Date: July 15, 2007 01:38

from nick,

but didn't the last waltz and the dylan movies have soundtracks, i was thinking there would be one, since mick said there wasn't going to be a live cd a few months ago, but a live soundtrack, well isn't that a little bit different, plus it would have many songs that have never seen the light of day on an official release

Date: July 15, 2007 02:14

Did he say there would be a soundtrack? All I can recall is him saying there would be a multi-disc DVD, which of course we now have.

The Last Waltz was accompanied by a live album (a 3-LP set which contained more than what was in the film, and now a 4-CD set containg even more material again) but live albums were much more prevalent than they are now. Plus "The Last Waltz" was more of a big deal commercially and event-wise. The Dylan film had a double-CD set as well, but it wasnt a 'soundtrack' as such, but more a collection of unreleased material from the same time frame which tied in with the film.

The fact that Scorsese happens to have been the director of all three projects wouldnt have any significant bearing on whether there's a soundtrack or not. More to do with contractual issues (and the Stones are now out of contract, which may in effect make a one album deal with a label issuing the album more feasible) but also whether they themselves think its worthwhile. Jagger's attitude at the press conference in March suggested that even he has come to the conclusion that they've milked the 'live album' cash-in to death by now.

Date: July 15, 2007 02:18

from nick,

yes gazza, but those shows were unique and would make a great live cd companion to the film, don't you think, it would be a little different than just another live cd

Date: July 15, 2007 02:42

I dont know. The live albums usually consist of a track listing thats almost identical to songs that were already on a DVD/video release or material broadcast on TV/radio, so I dont see it as a new concept, even if the track listings for the shows sound attractive.

I'd be surprised if the Stones ever chose just 2 shows for a live recording. Theyve never done it from that few before. They'll probably overdub and edit the hell out of it. Mick was having a lot of voice problems around the time of those shows, so that might negate the chance of them releasing much on CD that hasnt been significantly 'reworked'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-07-15 03:11 by Gazza.

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: July 15, 2007 02:58

Rocky Dijon Wrote:
> If there was going to be a soundtrack album in
> September, we would know already. If a live CD
> materializes, and the Nordic Vikings have heard
> that one is being discussed, I suspect it will be
> Christmas or 2008 and it won't tie in with either
> the film or DVD set in terms of marketing. Likely
> we will get another small NO SECURITY-type release
> with a few hits that haven't been on CD recently
> (JJF, Tumbling Dice, Midnight Rambler), recent
> songs, and a few surprises (Get Off of My Cloud,
> As Tears Go By, maybe She's So Cold or She Was
> Hot). They've completely ruined my full enjoyment
> of THE BIGGEST BANG set by placing protection on
> the DVDs that prevents my laptop from burning WAV
> files for me to play in the car. I wasted $65
> trying to find software that would work and none
> has.

I´ll give you an update. The live CD seems to be just speculation right now.
Virgin/EMI in Sweden don´t know right now what´s going to happen in the future.
A few months ago they were talking about a possible live cd, but nothing has been done about it. Stones contract is fulfilled, but the band seems eager to maintain a good relationsship with the company. Virgin is right now campaigning the backcatalog here in Sweden, where you can buy 9 of the older albums for a reduced price when buying one of the evening tabloids. There will be plenty of Virgin reps at our pre-party, so feel free to ask them..

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Date: July 15, 2007 03:07

Thanks for the update, Vilhelm and thank you for the gentleman recommend DVD Audio Extractor. DVD Audio Ripper 4.0 could not handle it, although it did a great job with Four Flicks.

Posted by: jomo297 ()
Date: July 15, 2007 06:12

flacnvinyl Wrote:
> Rocky there is a program call "DVD Audio
> Extractor". It works flawlessly and will rip into
> any format from DVD. I highly recommend it.

It didn't work for me. Got the skipping noise. Maybe I did something wrong but it sounds like copyright protection. It really sucks because I'd really like to have the Austin show in my Ipod.

Posted by: tommycharles ()
Date: July 15, 2007 07:19

jomo - get me ur email address, I can send you the Austin dvd mp3 rip (but not until Monday).

Posted by: jomo297 ()
Date: July 15, 2007 13:00

tommycharles Wrote:
> jomo - get me ur email address, I can send you the
> Austin dvd mp3 rip (but not until Monday).

Wow. Thanks Tommy! That is awesome. I'm at jhollandmoore@aol.com.

Date: July 15, 2007 16:24

Tommy if you could do the same for me, I'd appreciate it! I'm at Bill@cri-search.com

Thanks a lot!!

Date: July 17, 2007 05:39

Jomo, if you have the MP3 of the Austin show, would you kindly email to me? Thanks,

Bill@cri-search.com

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 17, 2007 10:40

It's my hope that, depending on the content of Shine a Light, the complete concert footage will be made available as a stand alone release at some future date.

Date: July 17, 2007 14:28

as the project is Scorsese's and not the Stones, I would think that unlikely.

That, plus the fact that to this day, the Stones have never released an entire concert on video or DVD that hasnt been edited or had songs removed.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: July 17, 2007 19:26

>That, plus the fact that to this day, the Stones have never released an entire concert on video or DVD that hasnt been edited or had songs removed.

Isn't the Tokyo 95 laserdisk the complete show?

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: July 17, 2007 19:35

Glam Descendant Wrote:
> Isn't the Tokyo 95 laserdisk the complete show?

I think you are right
There are also a few TV broadcast that are available in their entierty : Atlantic City 89, Tokyo 90, Miami 94, St Louis 97, Bremen 98, MSG 03, Rio, Bueons Aires and Tokyo 06...

Posted by: David700 ()
Date: July 17, 2007 20:01

i just got out of an emi virgin release scheduling meeting sounds like something is coming out late sept/early oct

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: July 17, 2007 20:15

Good news! I would be surprised if there's not a soundtrack release of some sort.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2019
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home