Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
When did the Stones enter your world?
Posted by: alexs ()
Date: July 14, 2007 11:22

My first Stones LP I actually heard on the radio and I was fully aware of was Undercover 1983. Being 11 years old at that time.
although my first stones lp i bought was rolled gold then.
I was not a quick love, I discovered all their back-catalog over the years, the first time i listened to Exile was around 1987. Still listing to it, though.

So, what was the first stones album/single you were aware of? And when was that?

Cheerio

Alex

Re: When did the Stones enter your world?
Date: July 14, 2007 11:26

Sometime in the mid-70's...
Hot Rocks was first, then Black n' Blue...then Some Girls, then the rest

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-07-14 11:28 by NumberOneStonesFan.

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: July 14, 2007 11:30

i got into the stones in 1978,i saw the stones on a music show on tv and miss you was on.
i bought my 1st stones album in 1981 me and a friend shared the cost of Tattoo you.but before we bought it we listend to the whole album in the recored shop.

Posted by: black&blue ()
Date: July 14, 2007 11:42

Since i'm slightly older than the previous posters , i have to go back to
1968 , when i was 11 years old , someone in the family had a pub in that time
and i could pick up all the 45's they removed from the juke-box , so lots of
Stones singles were included. My first album was Flowers and from then
onwards, the others just followed.....

rocking greetings ,

black&blue

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: July 14, 2007 11:46

1967 - Satisfaction - Norway, an uncle who was & is obsessed by the Stones.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 14, 2007 12:07

by virtue of a beautiful fluke: autumn 1963. Come On. hot damn! :E

Date: July 14, 2007 12:26

Stikes me I heard or recall the Stones before Beatles (Ob-La-Di): that's a sign! grinning smiley

Posted by: Dannyboy ()
Date: July 14, 2007 12:42

I earned some extra money at Wembley because my mate was seeing the daughter of the fella who owned the hot dog franchises. The Stones? Who are they. I could do with 60 quid though for two days work (a lot of money in '90).

A couple of hours later with Continental Drift and Start Me Up...... I was hooked!!

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: July 14, 2007 12:53

I remember hearing the Stones on WQXI-AM in Atlanta as young kid in the sixties.

I finally bought my first album and saw the Stones in '78.

Posted by: RollingStonesFan ()
Date: July 14, 2007 12:59

It was in 1999, when I had to prepare a report about a famous band for music-lessons in school, grade 7 (I was in the age of 12). I choosed the Stones but just because I had heard their name anywhere before but I didn't know anything. I bought a CD, it was Jump Back, and I loved it by the first listening. Now, eight years later, my collection counts about 350 CD's and DVD's, seven concerts were visited by me and four are to come, if Keith doesn't start climbing again...

Posted by: loochie ()
Date: July 14, 2007 13:14

1980ish - when i started college and met some new friends and a new boyfriend who were pretty heavily into stones and blues stuff. before that i listened to lots of various other stuff - Led Zep, neil, Allman bros, beatles, rod/ron and faces, country rock, etc etc etc. Of course I loved a few stones warhorses that were played on the radio winking smiley anyway i guess it took me a while to get hooked - i saw them for the first time in 1981 and then - hey, wot can i say -

Posted by: Russlan ()
Date: July 14, 2007 13:29

1978, 11 y.o. - Russian single with Paint It Black, Ruby Tuesday and Lady Jane on it.

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: July 14, 2007 13:33

When I bought the 45 "Get Off Of My Cloud " . Still got it !

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: July 14, 2007 13:36

1979 / 80 - not quite sure. My Dad's copy of Rolled Gold and a scratchy 1st album in mono. I was 14.

1st new release I remember waiting for; "Start me up" /"Tattoo You"

Posted by: Fan Since 1964 ()
Date: July 14, 2007 13:45

1964, It's all over now on a single. Then the album
"Rolling Stones" which kicked my ass at that time.
Then it went on from there really. Still around with
these guys. Seeing them in Sweden the 3rd of august.

What a party it'll be.

Been Stoned since 1964 and still am!

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: July 14, 2007 14:42

1983 when my parents listened to a best-of Stones record and the melody of "Paint It, Black" stuck in my brain for days ...

Posted by: pay pay ()
Date: July 14, 2007 14:48

I remember getting ready for school while listening to Emotional Rescue. I was in 6th grade then and that album was like a year or so old.

First album I bought with my own money was Woody's Gimme Some Neck, and its kind of like a Stones album. Still have that copy, too.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: July 14, 2007 14:51

My older brother was playing "High Tides and Green Grass"...
I got hooked.

Posted by: klypp ()
Date: July 14, 2007 16:17

Must have been november 1965. Back in my country, the closest you could get to the UK charts on national broadcast must have been Jim Reeves...

But I finally got hold of a battery-operated radio and dug myself deep under the blankets at night and tuned into top 20 at Radio Luxembourg. Wow! What a world out there!

I think Get Off Of My Cloud topped the very first chart I listened to. It was immediate love, but back then the Stones were far from the only ones...

Just have a look at SOME of the songs on the charts TOGETHER with Get Off Of My Cloud:

Yardbirds: Evil Hearted You / Still I'm Sad
Animals: It's My Life
Bob Dylan: Positively 4th Street
Manfred Mann: If You Gotta Go Go Now
Who: My Generation
Kinks: Till The End Of The Day
Spencer Davis Group: Keep On Running
Shadows: War Lord
Otis Redding: My Girl
Wilson Pickett: In The Midnight Hour
Small Faces: Whatcha Gonna Do About It
James Brown: Papa's Got A Brand New Bag

plus a lot more...

Those who think that internet killed the record industry should go back and see what Santa had to sort out before christmas in 65. Explains a lot...

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: July 14, 2007 16:28

with sssoul Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> by virtue of a beautiful fluke: autumn 1963. Come
> On. hot damn! :E

with sssoul, I always thought you were from the U.S. Unless I'm wrong, how'd you hear them in '63??? Do tell!

I remember seeing the videos for "IORR" and "Emo. Rescue" on U.S. broadcast TV (IORR was on a Dick Clark 25th Anniversary of Rock N' Roll show) in about '80 and thinking that Mick was funny-looking. In my defense, I was 8 years old (though I still think he's funny-looking). In the summer of '81, however, I found my mom's old mono copy of Out Of Our Heads and got hooked on "Satisfaction". "Start Me Up" had just come out and was all over the radio, and I remember seeing news footage of the crowd throwing bottles outside Sir Morgan's Cove and thinking "The Stones are in Wiss-tah? Wow!". I listened to Out Of Our Heads non-stop for the next six months until I got Tattoo You and High Tide & Green Grass and a cassette dub from my cousin of the Hampton FM broadcast for X-mas '81. The obsession has been basically spiraling out of control ever since then.

Date: July 14, 2007 16:54

>> how'd you hear them in '63? <<

i am indeed from (as opposed to "in") the US, but like i said it was a beautiful fluke.
i've told the story before, but: the family of a classmate of my older sister
spent a year in England, and she returned to the US in the autumn of 63
with some 45s by a couple of bands that were just starting to get hot over there,
and immediately became the hippest third-grader in town.

Posted by: magenta ()
Date: July 14, 2007 18:20

1964. Seeing them on The Hollywood Palace. I had heard them and maybe had seen them but the Palace show was the glue. I was so naive I didn't even know that Dino was putting them down, I was listening to him anyway. The young Stones were something and old Stones are pretty good. Just check out the Austin show.

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: July 14, 2007 18:30

with sssoul - that's AWESOME.

Digging the Stones in the U.S. before the Beatles were even on Ed Sullivan - screw the town, you were the hippest kid in the whole damn country!

Date: July 14, 2007 18:36

>> the hippest kid in the whole damn country! <<

smile: yeah it was freakin amazing, all right! i didn't think i was the hip one, though -
it was the girl who had spent the year in England. she had bright red hair and was quite new to being hip :E

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: July 14, 2007 18:39

When did the Stones enter your world?

Err, I think they are just kind enough to let us enter THEIR world.

Me - 1973 - Got Goats Head Soup for my 13th birthday. Obviously, my folks hadn't heard "Star, Star"! Became a Stones-freak in 1976 when Black and Blue came out.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-07-14 19:05 by Elmo Lewis.

Posted by: moonchild57 ()
Date: July 14, 2007 18:44

Probably 1965. While so many were going gaga over The Beatles, my best friends older sisters were into the Stones, Dylan, the Animals.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: July 14, 2007 18:47

1986 - got DIrty WOrk on tape, and even more so in 1990 with 25x5 and an Urban Jungle concert

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: July 14, 2007 18:47

My father made me a tape when I was around 10 years old. Apart from 'Have You Seen Your...' and 'Paint it Black' I absolutely hated every song. Well obviously that changed rather quickly...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-07-14 18:56 by Sohoe.

Posted by: Raoul Duke ()
Date: July 14, 2007 19:24

In 1996, when I was about 19. A friend of mine would always play "Brown Sugar" on his car's cassette player as we made our way out of town to score some heroin. I eventually asked him to make a copy of his Sticky Fingers tape and was instantly captivated by Dead Flowers (kind of fit the mood in those days). I bought my first Stones cd - Stripped - largely bacause Dead Flowers was on it. And it took off from there.

Date: July 14, 2007 19:45

So, Sohoe, yer dad is or was an ol' Stone-fan...
Precisely as is the case with Kent: interesting!

My ol' man "only" liked & like Jerry Lee.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2172
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home