Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Slightly OT: The Animals in The beginning
Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: July 6, 2007 16:44

I recently acquired this CD after hearing it at a friends place. Awesome! Their covers of the Chuck Berry songs Let it Rock (with a nod to the Stones, ironically), Got to Find my Baby (which outshines the Beatles version released on the BBC cd) and Almost Grown are great. The John Lee Hooker songs Dimples and Boom Boom are really good as well, and they really get into a nice groove on the song Bo Diddley. I must say after hearing this CD i have a new found appreciation/interest in the Animals. It seems like a nice artifact from their club days. Now if only the Stones at the Crawdaddy in 1963 would surface it could join the ranks of the Beatles at the Star Club, and the Who at the Scene Club in November 1964 as an example of prefame sound.

Re: Slightly OT: The Animals in The beginning
Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: July 6, 2007 17:02

Hi Jack,

Have this disc also and feel the same. A smoking Let It Rock, even if the guitar is a little out of tune. The early Animals IMO rivaled the Stones for RnB raunch. Eric Burdon may well have been a better singer than MJ at that point in time. Great stuff. The Animals' first 5 Eps are compiled on a CD that is also mighty fine.

Karl

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: July 7, 2007 05:03

totally agree...the animals stood right on out amongs a zillion brit invasion bands as deeply powerful and soulful...that voice all over the radio was non-stop and immense, hit after hit...old nawlins whorehouse ballad number #1...and never more soulful...slammm....ever hear 'maudie' knock u right down swear to god...

eric headlines at huge Portland Blues Festival, headlining over something like 40 different acts...YESTERDAY... well alright.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: July 7, 2007 06:46

I have probably seen Eric at least a dozen times over the last 12 or 13 years and he can still sing great

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: July 7, 2007 09:26

Animals Greatest Hits is one of those must have CD's (in my opinion)! They mention the Stones in the song Story of Bo Diddley and on the live CD, Eric says "I'm gonna take me helmet? off and shake me head like the Rolling Stones" at the beginning of Almost Grown.
Alan Price's, and later Dave Rowberry's, keyboards were a big part of the Animals sound.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: July 7, 2007 10:35

Also check out Burdon's works with WAR.
Goddam smokin'soul-ish version of Paint It Black for those who havent heard.

Posted by: Hans-Jo ()
Date: July 7, 2007 11:25

Hello!

If I remember correctly, there was a post in the Hot Stuff section some time

ago for the Animals' "DeLuxe BBC Files" , HappyJack you should

check this!!!

Meanwhile, if anybody has live tapes of Eric & the New Animals

from dates between July '68 and Dec. '68, can you please get in

touch with me?!?

Thanks. Hans-Jo

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: July 7, 2007 15:04

''Its my Life'' one of the most exciting tunes i ever heard!!San Francisco Nights...as good as it gets just wonderfull...sometimes i think its partly about Altamont.

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: July 7, 2007 16:36

yes there is good quality on the recording (animals 63),,
sonny boy williamsson plays drums on one track,,,

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1052
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home