Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Happy Canada Day, Eh?
Posted by: rooster ()
Date: July 2, 2007 02:49

My gawd i dont know the answer but i wanna know! Help me!

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: July 2, 2007 02:56

Well, guys, that's a lot of nature issues.

Re: the Moosehead sandwich, depends on the size of the Moose - some of those 14-pointers are pretty big, they go close to a ton, eh? So first, you need some bread and a REALLY big toaster. Regarding the "how?" it wouldn't be ladylike to say... Ohhh, did you mean the beer? Well, how tall depends on how you pour... if you go too fast, it's all head.

And really, Rooster, it was just one cute little brown mousie! You should see the racoons in the tree at the back of the yard! There are 3 babies this year, already bigger than my cat, and they aren't afraid of me yet (even when I try to spray them with the hose, because they poop on my roof...). I was digging in the back corner 2 nights ago and the 3 of them sat in the crook of the tree cackling at me from 4 feet away. I know I will get a howl out of someone, but if they keep up with the roof pooping, I may just have to make me a coat! (NO - I wouldn't! They are too cute, but nasty little poopers!) And NOTHING stops them! The only thing I have not tried is, in the words of an animal expert, urine of a male mammal higher on the evolutionary scale. So, Gents, come on over, I will feed you beer and give you a ladder!

Gotta run!

Date: July 2, 2007 03:02

fun!! Toronto!!

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: July 2, 2007 03:24

SomeTorontoGirl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> sweetcharmedlife Wrote:
>
> A Stones song about Canada...........How about,"If
> You Really Want To Be My Friend,Then Get The Hell
> Out Of Canada".....................Just
> kidding,EH!
>
>
> Well, look what the cat dragged in! Oh, no, not
> YOU again! SCL, you grown up all wrong! You have a
> heart of stone! Etc, etc...
>
> To those who offend the Canuck, we sentence thee
> to...Celine Dion!!!! 30 minutes of All Night Long
> - and it will seem like all night long!
>
>

>
> (And that's "oot" of Canada, thank you!)
>
> And I guess I get 2 minutes for high schticking...
> EH? grinning smiley

OUCH!!!sad smiley I feel like I just got cross-checked by Mats Sundin.........Take it easy on me STG. I am Canada friendly............Hell I even like Loverboy!

But Celine Dion,really....has anyone ever seen her and a praying mantis in the same room together?

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: TippyToe ()
Date: July 2, 2007 03:39

rooster Wrote:
> My gawd i dont know the answer but i wanna know!
> Help me!

The song is "I'm Movin' On". It was written by Hank Snow, a bluenoser (person from Nova Scotia).

Date: July 2, 2007 03:41

Thanks I should know...like that tune!

Date: July 2, 2007 05:36

TippyToe - that was digging deep! Most excellent! Kudos to you and a shot of screech all around (scary rum drink from Newfoundland - make sure your medical insurance is paid up!)

To end off a rollicking good Canada Day, here is a Celine-free, all Canuck music video. Brace yourselves:

Newfoundland is an island province off the east coast of Canada. Many people from Newfoundland move west to find work. Apparently they are in favour of Quebec separating from Canada because it will shave 5 hours off the drive to Toronto... (oh geez, now I've started with the Newfie jokes! well, we're nearly done here...)

Cheers!

STG

Date: July 2, 2007 06:19

Hey! Hey! Easy STG, I'm a born and bred Newfoundlander. And I'm drinking some rum to celebrate Canada Day. It's not Screech though so I'm still a bit lucid!

The Stones should have had Stompin' Tom open the Halifax show last year. Or the Moncton show the year before. Now THAT would have killed!

By the way, July 1st is also Remembrance Day for some of us. "Say a prayer for the common foot soldier."

Date: July 2, 2007 06:46

Eeep! I'll back away quietly and nobody will get hurt! (If I remember correctly, the answer to "What's blue and floats in the bay?" is "A mainlander who tells Newfie jokes!") Stompin' Tom is definitely a Canadian Thing (they won't understand). He lives not far from here and one of his sometime support musicians has a day-job in my office building. Apparently part of the contract stipulates that SOMEBODY must stay up and drink with him after a show! Maybe Keef should take note and lay off Ronnie! He would have been a great act to open in Moncton - and I can see him jamming with Keef - they would totally get along!

Hope you had a great Canada Day after the morning remembrances - I didn't know that about Newfoundland but now that I've looked it up, this is a great day of remembrance for an event that pre-dates Confederation for the Rock,

I saw a play a few years back about the vote held to bring Nfld into Canada in 1949. I hadn't known how divisive it was there - we all need to know more of our history! It's the only province I've yet to visit, and I've never talked to anyone who has been there who doesn't want to go back.

Cheers!

STG

Date: July 2, 2007 07:40

Hope you had a great Canada Day too STG.

And if there's anyone out there from Chile, I begrudgingly offer my congratulations!

Posted by: Angus MacBagpipe ()
Date: July 2, 2007 09:06

"I'm Movin' On" was a Hank Snow song alright, but Hank himself became an American citizen in 1958. So he was a Canadian when he recorded it in 1950, but not when the Stones covered it.

Okay, too technical. Sorry!! (Spoken like a true Canadian). It's the end of Canada Day out here in BC, but Happy Canada day to my fellow Canadians. A country of peace, tolerance, good manners and good beer.

Posted by: loochie ()
Date: July 2, 2007 10:09

hey don't forget Joni (Mitchell) ! I think she's from Saskatchewan...

Posted by: loochie ()
Date: July 2, 2007 10:39

my first boyfriend in high school was from London (Ontario). He liked to drink beer, play some hockey, and he even used to tell me Newfie jokes ! winking smiley

Posted by: Miss U. ()
Date: July 2, 2007 17:27

Fave Canadian memory of the stones is the club gig at The Phoenix.
I went to see Chris Jagger; really liked it! I like Cajun/zydeco music anyway. He's got a talented backup band with him. Bought his new cd which the band signed as well as an older cd I had. Were you there STG? He spoke abit of French too. But no creole, hehe. Also got my picture with him.
As for Stompin' Tom, I agree STG; he's as much a legend as the stones are. I liked Stompin Tom before I even knew who the stones were.
One of my faves:

[p207.ezboard.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-07-02 17:28 by Miss U..

Date: July 2, 2007 17:34

Eric Clapton's father was Canadian, but they never met...

Denny Doherty of the Mamas and the Papas, Jeff Healy... Rush (but Geddy is a Brit by birth). And when Leonard Cohen (whom a reviewer once lovingly described as having a vocal range from B to B flat) won the 1993 Juno for Male vocalist of the year, he accepted with an amused shrug and said "...only in Canada..."

We're good at raising unique voices without taking ourselves too seriously. Maybe that's what we're best at.

A local newspaper columnist used to run a column every Canada Day, and it describes us best - and never fails to make me cry. It should have been the first thing I thought of yesterday, but Gary Dunford (an ex-pat American) retired and it doesn't run anymore. Through the miracle of the internet, here is Dunf's explanation of Canada:

Canada Day
Canada is eating toy food at 30,000 feet and looking down on the most amazing herringbone of blacks and whites that turn out to be the Rocky Mountains.

Canada is coming home from Kensington Market with a vegetable that looks like a carrot, smells like a melon, feels like a banana but may be a potato. The lady next door knows how to cook it. You give her half.

Canada's lying on your stomach on a raft and watching shy fish circle below, safely hiding in your shadow.

Canada is slogging down a narrow, snow-clogged street in Quebec City, watching a midnight traffic jam of ice floes in the St. Lawrence.

Canada's sitting on the shore of Newfoundland's Grand Lake, sucking at a bottle of Star while a pal balances a bottle of Moosehead on his forehead. Laughter tickles the stubby pines.

Canada is paddling three hard days only to discover two other tents are already pitched at your "secret" place. Windlocked, you'll meet the strangers you meet there again each summer for the next 20 years.

Canada is Muskol. A hell of a lot of Muskol.

Canada is patching the hole in the tent and killing the last mosquito at 5.23 a.m. to finally fall asleep. The sun rises at 5.33.

Canada is climbing a tree with two friends in August and waiting two long hours to drop a balloon filled with water on your best pal.

Canada is a sharp green stick with one brown hot dog on it. The first frank falls in the fire but the second is perfect.

Canada is an amazing red trillium in a hillside army of white ones. Sprawl in the foot-high flowers and it takes them 15 minutes to find you.

Canada is poring over your priceless pile of 44 maps of lakes and portages in front of a roaring fire in January and never thinking about a black fly.

Canada is a metal mug of coffee too hot to hold, on a misty morning that's too cold to be there.

Canada is standing on the deck of the last B.C. ferry of the night, watching the water slide by. From somewhere deep inside the ship, a door closes. Or opens. Stars wink at reflected twins in the sea. Time stops.

Canada is meeting a bear at the rural garbage dump. You consider each other thoughtfully for long moments. The bear has other things to do.

Canada is dogs wading in lakes, sitting in shallow water to cool their bums.

Canada's the lightning storm that scares you witless.

Canada is whipping into a beach on one water ski to land at the exact edge of the sand ... just ... so. Keep your stomach sucked in: those girls are watching.

Canada is one perfect fiddlehead green. So small, so fixed in your mind as a fragile growing thing, you dare not pick it.

Canada is discovering the dog has eaten all the marshmallows.The marshmallows are already upchucked in your sleeping bag.

Canada is unpacking Christmas lights in a chilly attic.Canada is watching the field mouse run up to, then over your girlfriend's sleeping bag and never telling her when she wakes up.

Canada is one ear of yellow corn, a plate of butter and a napkin. You feel yellow a long time after.

Canada is sitting in a privy, hoping porcupines don't come for another 10 minutes. Swallows have torn the toilet paper into confetti, no piece big enough to hold.

Canada is a deep lake, a sloping rock, a warm sun and a perfect curve of time. Afternoons arch to the horizon.

Canada is a brown envelope from Revenue Canada. And the modest boat you christen ... Rebate.

Canada is whitecaps on the lake, cold smoke spirals above winter chimneys, the speckled rocks at the bottom of a clear, glassy stream.

Canada is a big secret.

Shared.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: July 2, 2007 17:38

Robbie @#$%& Robertson!

Date: July 2, 2007 17:49

Baboon Bro Wrote:
> Robbie @#$%& Robertson!

He's Mine!!! All mine!!! (Ohhh, it is so not cool to swoon...)

Date: July 8, 2007 06:44

Miss U. Wrote:
> Fave Canadian memory of the stones is the club gig
> at The Phoenix.
> I went to see Chris Jagger; really liked it! I
> like Cajun/zydeco music anyway. He's got a
> talented backup band with him. Bought his new cd
> which the band signed as well as an older cd I
> had. Were you there STG? He spoke abit of French
> too. But no creole, hehe.

Hey, Miss U, sorry but I missed your post last week. I was out the door to go down to see Chris Jagger, and got sidetracked by a little problem, had to give a neighbour a hand. So didn't make it, but hadn't been sure if I would go anyway... sorry I missed it but sounds like you had a good time! Not sure how many others enjoyed Bud the Spud... grinning smiley

Didn't know there was another TO girl here - are you going to any of the Stones concerts this summer? Or just watching from IORR? Am jealous as hell that you were at the Phoenix!

Cheers (belatedly)!

STG

Posted by: ROLLING STONED ()
Date: July 8, 2007 22:22

I went to Canada for the first time in May this year and 100% LOVED IT! I was only there for 10 days, and just in the south east corner,but managed to see TORONTO, NIAGARA, OTTAWA and MONTREAL and all of the 5 HARD ROCK CAFES that are left in Canada!

HAPPY (belated) CANADA DAY! EH?!

(if i only had a Moosehead to drink right now!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-07-08 22:23 by ROLLING STONED.

Date: July 8, 2007 22:32

Hey - glad you had a good time! Feel kinda responsible for y'all when you visit! Somehow all people seem to remember is the beer... smiling smiley

Posted by: King Snake ()
Date: July 8, 2007 22:35

Thanks, same to you.

Date: July 9, 2007 09:59

ROLLING STONED Wrote:
> I went to Canada for the first time in May this
> year and 100% LOVED IT! I was only there for 10
> days, and just in the south east corner,but
> managed to see TORONTO, NIAGARA, OTTAWA and
> MONTREAL and all of the 5 HARD ROCK CAFES that are
> left in Canada!
>
> HAPPY (belated) CANADA DAY! EH?!
>
> (if i only had a Moosehead to drink right now!)

Oh yeah, the beer was lovely, but so was everything in Canada to be honest! The only thing I didn't like was having to come back to England!

Date: July 9, 2007 14:21

SomeTorontoGirl Wrote:
>
> Didn't know there was another TO girl here - are
> you going to any of the Stones concerts this
> summer? Or just watching from IORR?

No, unfortunately, just watching vicariously here! And you?

[p207.ezboard.com]

Date: July 9, 2007 14:30

Yeah, I'm going for the London shows. The dates are getting so close it's unbelieveable. All the other concerts posts here are really getting the blood pumping! When I think of all the club gigs I have missed here, I could just smack myself... Glad you got into the Phoenix...

Date: July 10, 2007 06:14

One club gig for me was more than enough and all I could want or need.
Enjoy the London gigs! smiling smiley

[p207.ezboard.com]

Date: July 10, 2007 06:27

SomeTorontoGirl Wrote:
> Yeah, I'm going for the London shows. The dates
> are getting so close it's unbelieveable. All the
> other concerts posts here are really getting the
> blood pumping! When I think of all the club gigs I
> have missed here, I could just smack myself...
> Glad you got into the Phoenix...

Hey STG,I didn't know you were going to London...........Wow am I jealous. Youv'e been pretty low key about it. Don't remember you mentioning it before.........I know I don't need to tell you to have a good time........But go ahead and do it anyway. Cheers.smiling smiley

Date: July 11, 2007 01:27

I know I am English and not Canadian, but I am off to see the STONES in London and Ireland this summer and simply can't wait!!!!!!!!!

Date: July 11, 2007 01:58

sweetcharmedlife Wrote:

> Hey STG,I didn't know you were going to
> London...........Wow am I jealous. Youv'e been
> pretty low key about it. Don't remember you
> mentioning it before.........I know I don't need
> to tell you to have a good time........But go
> ahead and do it anyway. Cheers.smiling smiley

So... you weren't up reading the board when I was trying to get tix at some gawd-awful hour of the morning? With my passcode fouled up? Screaming like a banshee and looking like Medusa? Yeah, that was real low key! grinning smiley

Then my medication kicked in and I've been sweet and demure ever since... as befitting a Canuck. (My, hasn't this Canada Day thread gone a little long? I guess the world loves us... or at least some Stones fans...)

Sorry you'll be watching from the sidelines. I just about wet myself everytime I think about it! (Well, that's not very demure - let's say I am looking forward, with controlled anticipation, to everything the trip might bring...)

Eeeee!!!!

Date: July 11, 2007 04:21

OK well I plead guilty to being a skimmer. But I don't remember a mention. Anyway,have fun in Chicago and London.

Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: July 11, 2007 05:49

Ok, i'm feeling sentimental (ok, semi-mental, as my dad says)

I live in London, England. Canada means a lot to me. My grandmother (passed away) moved there in the late 60's, and my aunt, uncle, and cousins moved there in the early 80's. They settled close to toronto (brantford). I was born in 1977, and had my first holiday to canada in 1981. And again in 1987, then 94 (voodoo lounge, anyone...!) and then MANY more times after (see below!) I have had many fantastic holidays over there. Unfortunately I've never made it outside ontario, but I have made it up to muskoka, and the surrounding area. I went to 'edgefest' in 2000, and have seen niagara and the CN Tower TOO MANY times!

I met a girl in toronto in 2002. I took a holiday there in the october to see family and see the stones at the skydome. I met the girl on my last night, in 279, on yonge street. I remember it well. I was putting the drinks away, wearing a stones t-shirt, and the DJ was playing a lot of stones songs! I really clicked with the girl, and we kept in touch, fell in love and visited each other many times. She moved over here for two years, but, unfortunately, it didn't work out...

Anyway, I made a lot of trips to see her, and in doing so, learnt alot about canada, and really learnt to appreciate it even more. I was there for canada day 2003, and remember watching some sort of ceremony on tv, showing new citizens being sworn in. That was really cool to see.

Jet-skiing, riding on inflatables, and zooming around on a speedboat up in the muskoka region, are some of my best memories of canada. I remember visiting a friends cabin up there, and they had a hot tub. It was amazing to sit in the tub, drinking some beer, laughing with my cousins and new friends, and just watching all the stars in the sky and listening to nature in the middle of the night...

I know i'm 11 days too late, but, happy canada day. Anyone that hasn't visited canada should really do it. I havn't been back for a couple of years, but I miss toronto, and hope to get back soon. Canada is a truly beautiful country. I have met so many friendly, great people over there, and could quite happily spend A LONG TIME travelling through the country.

Oh yeah, you guys have some nice beer. Moosehead, Alexander Keiths...

Not bad eh...!

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1733
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home