Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Bitches/Gripes/Moans
Posted by: pay pay ()
Date: June 28, 2007 12:17

I have several points to cover, and I'll try to keep from rambling on endlessly.....though it will be hard.

First up: Keith.I hate all the Keith bashing I've been reading. It amazes me that people that claim to love the Rolling Stones would write such negative things about Keith....I mean come on, Keith is the MAN! I bought the Biggest Band DVD, and its wonderful. Keith is playing great on this thing. I know that alot of you people have said he's gotten worse since the start of the current leg of the tour, but I don't see how he could have went down hill as bad as I've read. To compare him to the way he was 72, or 81 or any other time is silly. Keith has aged, which beats the alternative. We all get older, if we're lucky. Age has not done that much to him. The man gets cooler every year. Keith Richards is rock & roll. He lives it. As long as he has a guitar in his hands, the World is richer and a whole lot cooler because of it.

Next, Mick. The singing is just fine. Leave the man alone. He is the ultimate front man, second to NONE. He has written some of the greatest lyrics in history, and to this day still delivers them perfectly. End of story.

Setlists. Tired of reading about them. They won't listen to us, and shouldn't. They play what they want to play because they are the ones playing them. I happen to like rarely played songs and warhorses too. The warhorses are the songs that made them what they are, after all. They released 40 Licks, not 40 Duds.A Show without HTW, BS, SMY, or Satisfaction just isn't a Stones show. To the people that construct fantasy setlists: What do you hope to achive with this? Keith isn't going to do Something Happend To Me Yesterday with Jagger. Get over it. And why when typing a setist, do people always put KR next to the Keith songs? If you don't know that Happy or Slipping Away or Little T & A are Keith songs, then step away from the keyboard and go back to school.

Chuck Leavell. How do I make him go away? I can't stand the man. The man stands out like a turd in the punch bowl on stage. That stupid grin at the first of every version of LSTNT is sickening. How much can a dude overplay? Its almost like Chuck Leavell with special guests The Rolling Stones. Lots of folks think he is the setlist boss. Bullshit. If they don't want to do a song, they won't. Doesn't matter what Chuckie says.

Mick Taylor. People still want him to come back. I don't. Let him keep playing barns in Denmark. He was great, but he hasn't played to over 200 people this decade. And no more talk of him replacing Keith.....how silly is that? And no replacing Woody either. MT left in 1974. Its over.Why would he come back? The people that keep saying he should come back are just confirming the fact that he hasn't done anything worth a shit since he left.If he was really as talented as you think, he would have had this great solo career. And don't even mention Dylan. No guitarist could save that pathetic man. Is Dylan the worst singer on Earth? Yes, he is. Not only is his endless croaking terrible, but his music is boring also. You can have him.

Ronnie Wood. Second coolest guy in history. Playing great, seems to be doing pretty good with the drinking problem. A lot of Woody bashers here. I'm not one of them. He makes the best solo albums of all the Stones. Gimme Some Neck is the greatest Stones album they never recorded. Can't get enough of Ronnie.

The backing band. I don't care if Blondie plays guitar. The 3 backup singers are doing a great job. Bobby Keys......as much a part of Stones history as anything.Lisa has been bashed alot lately. I think she adds so much to the shows. If Lisa had her vocal chords ripped out, keep her up on stage just for me to look at. Take that, dong.

ABB: Great album, listen to it often. To me it beats B2B and VL. The first time I heard Rough Justice, I said "They are back!!!!" Ofcourse, the true Stones fan will hate it, because it isn't Exile.

It may seem like I'm preaching to the choir here, but it seems like theres too much bashing here. I know everyone has opinions, and thats great. Its just we have gone a little off path. Think of it this way: In 1970, would you have thought the Stones would still be going in 2007? Not only still playing, but with no end in sight?

Just enjoy. Go to the shows and drink it all in. Put the microscopes away. There will come the day when it IS all over. Then what will you do?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-06-28 12:59 by pay pay.

Re: Bitches/Gripes/Moans
Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: June 28, 2007 12:22

pay pay -"Chuck Leavell. How do I make him go away? I can't stand the man"

the band like him, want him and need him... he's going nowhere.

pay pay - "It may seem like I'm preaching to the choir here, but it seems like theres too much bashing here."

i see what you mean.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: June 28, 2007 12:27

Dear pay pay, I agree, except Chuck is not that bad at all !

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: June 28, 2007 12:31

pay pay,

now this is what I call a "great post"! Agree 100%, especially about Lisa! And don't forget that lately Ronnie Wood has proven wrong all the people who were still eager to bash him; and Keith is doing the very same nowadays...

Rock on!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-06-28 13:13 by Wild Slivovitz.

Posted by: loochie ()
Date: June 28, 2007 12:35

pay pay Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Chuck Leavell....etc....the man stands out like a turd in the punch bowl on stage.

har har har that's a FUNNY one, have to write that down ! smiling smiley

well, i'm not crazy about chuck's playing either, but really, he's a good musician, nice guy, stones seem willing to listen to him, and if he's helping to glue the thing together better somewhat, i guess it's a good thing. just wish he would play with a little more soul, that's all winking smiley

Posted by: OILY_DIPSTICK ()
Date: June 28, 2007 12:36

Yeah......can't wait for the next one! Start Me Up.

Posted by: grizzlybear ()
Date: June 28, 2007 13:02

One more thing about Keith: looking at a very recent photo it's easy to see that his fingers are not ok. It seems that he makes efforts in playing; eventually having medicine to release the pain. I won't comment more because i'm not a doctor; it's obvious that he makes big efforts to be on stage. This is why I love every single riff played and I simply don't care if he miss some notes. Without his will to continue this tour there will never be a Stones concert in Bucharest.
Yesss, Start Me Up ! The perfect opener ! Until 1990, we had only two Stones albums sold in the shops: It's Only R&R and Tattoo You. The rest were just vinyls smuggled by the fans via the black market. Tattoo You was very popular in those years, especially for the 70' and 80' generations. When I first bought it, in 1981 I could never dream to see the Stones live, in Bucharest or elsewhere.

Thank You guys for a lifetime of Rock and Roll !

Posted by: rknuth ()
Date: June 28, 2007 13:03

>> It amazes me that people that claim to love the Rolling Stones would write >> such negative things about Keith

What a bullshit, I love my child but that doesn't mean I can't critize her!!

Maybe you even have a wife that love you. But don't tell me, she never criticized you?!

Love doesn't mean to close your eyes, mouth and ears! (that's the three monkeys!)

Posted by: keefed ()
Date: June 28, 2007 13:07

This is a great post!
Thanks pay pay for that expression!
100% agree!

Date: June 28, 2007 13:10

rknuth Wrote:
> >> It amazes me that people that claim to love the
> Rolling Stones would write >> such negative things
> about Keith
>
> What a bullshit, I love my child but that doesn't
> mean I can't critize her!!
>
> Maybe you even have a wife that love you. But
> don't tell me, she never criticized you?!
>
> Love doesn't mean to close your eyes, mouth and
> ears! (that's the three monkeys!)

Believe me, she does critize me. She doesn't, however, slam me every chance she gets and wants to give up on me.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: June 28, 2007 13:12

What I hate is the joy of bashing. The joy!

Posted by: rknuth ()
Date: June 28, 2007 13:18

pay pay Wrote:
> rknuth Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > >> It amazes me that people that claim to love
> the
> > Rolling Stones would write >> such negative
> things
> > about Keith
> >
> > What a bullshit, I love my child but that
> doesn't
> > mean I can't critize her!!
> >
> > Maybe you even have a wife that love you. But
> > don't tell me, she never criticized you?!
> >
> > Love doesn't mean to close your eyes, mouth and
> > ears! (that's the three monkeys!)
>
>
> Believe me, she does critize me. She doesn't,
> however, slam me every chance she gets and wants
> to give up on me.

OK, I see what you mean. Seems well known to me ;-)
(sorry if I've been too tough!)

Date: June 28, 2007 13:21

No problem!

Posted by: Rock'n'roller ()
Date: June 28, 2007 13:22

Yes, Jagger is without doubt the best front man. Forget Mercury (and the rest of that ludicrous band), Daltrey (just shouts really) etc.

I wonder what Brian Jones would be like if he were alive and playing now?

Date: June 28, 2007 14:50

youve really outdone yourself here, yap yap. attack others for "bashing" and then go on to write some of the most uncharitable things about chuck that ive ever read.

stay classy!

*and i'm just like that bird - singing just for you*

Date: June 28, 2007 15:46

the singer not the bong Wrote:
> youve really outdone yourself here, yap yap.
> attack others for "bashing" and then go on to
> write some of the most uncharitable things about
> chuck that ive ever read.
>
> stay classy!

Thank you, bong. Ever hear of freedom of speech?

Posted by: OILY_DIPSTICK ()
Date: June 28, 2007 16:53

START ME UP

Posted by: wee bobby lennox ()
Date: June 28, 2007 16:55

nothing wrong with constructing fantasy set lists.

the stones have been lazy with thier setlists throughout thier careers.

people have thier own ideas of how set lists should work.

nothing wrong with sharing that info with the stones.

as for keith being critisized.

if he isnt playing his guitar properly and ruining the song then people who pay top money to see them deserve to critisize.

its not like a football match where you can leave at the end of one bad game knowing there will be another game coming next week.

for many, the stones experience is a one off.

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: June 28, 2007 17:20

....oops, I posted before my morning coffee (please ignore)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2007-06-28 18:08 by Lukester.

Posted by: rsk45 ()
Date: June 28, 2007 17:35

pay pay Wrote:
>>
> Setlists. Tired of reading about them. They won't
> listen to us, and shouldn't. They play what they
> want to play because they are the ones playing
> them. I happen to like rarely played songs and
> warhorses too. The warhorses are the songs that
> made them what they are, after all. They released
> 40 Licks, not 40 Duds.A Show without HTW, BS, SMY,
> or Satisfaction just isn't a Stones show. To the
> people that construct fantasy setlists: What do
> you hope to achive with this? Keith isn't going to
> do Something Happend To Me Yesterday with Jagger.
> Get over it. And why when typing a setist, do
> people always put KR next to the Keith songs? If
> you don't know that Happy or Slipping Away or
> Little T & A are Keith songs, then step away from
> the keyboard and go back to school.
>
> I'm on my feet applauding. There are numerous songs we would all like to hear,but to post a setlist without any warhorses,or nothing before 1981,or everything before 1969-come on "put the bong down". They are and always will be because of the songs we hear countless times.

"Time waits for no man, no favours has he."

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 28, 2007 17:40

Blargh - here we go again with another one of them "teaching the other IORR posters on what to think and write"-threads
Why should you care what other people say - if they give their honest opinion on something? The thread would have much more sense if you wrote
"This is what I think about Rolling Stones 2007" - but it's useless now - as you're trying to attack other posters here.
>>I really hate it when...<< >>I can't stand when people here...<<
I don't care for everything that's being written on this board either, these days, but who am I to complain ?

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2007-06-28 20:38 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 28, 2007 17:52

>> she does critize me. She doesn't, however, slam me every chance she gets <<

thanks yap.
it does seem like some people forget to ever say anything appreciative.
sure hope they aren't like that with the people close to them as well

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-06-28 19:47 by with sssoul.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: June 28, 2007 18:37

pay pay Wrote:
> Thank you, bong. Ever hear of freedom of speech?

Yet ironically you imply in your post that others should not express their opions about Keith, Mick, the band, etc., (The quote "End of story" infers that no debate is welcome.) Everyone is entitled to their own view even though they may not mirror your own. What you call bitching, moaning and so on is legitmate criticism to some so if you see a thread that appears contrary to your view do yourself a favor and avoid reading it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-06-28 18:46 by ChrisM.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: June 28, 2007 18:51

Shite, I'm gonna stick up for Bingabong but PayPay you can't say "Thank you, bong. Ever hear of freedom of speech?" when its the same thing your critising???

I would love to know though how after two poor shows MANY posters here wrote KR of. Some real over the top scare mongering threads. What is now their opinion considering the glowing reports from ALL the latest gigs??

Posted by: NickB ()
Date: June 28, 2007 19:19

Bashing the bashing....ummmm interesting concept. Just stop bashing the bashers who in turn should just... well... stop bashing. Who cares. Boring, move on, nothing to see here.

What would be good would be to see well constructed arguments from those who want to bash.

For example if you're gonna bash Keith make sure you were at the show or at least have some documentary evidence to say that he played appallingly....not just on one song but consistently playing badly. Consequently you must therefore have at least 2/3 people to back up your bash. This means your bash will hold water as opposed to say just a vague side swipe.

Perhaps there could some sort of bashing police.......

All clear now. Thought so. Let the bashing commence!! ;-)

Jeez. I'll get me coat.

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Posted by: deuce ()
Date: June 28, 2007 19:20

Keith has gone down

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: June 28, 2007 19:37

Bitches/Gripes/Moans

Actually, at work, we call 'em a BMW session - Bitch, Moan, Whine

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: cc ()
Date: June 28, 2007 19:50

what a crotchety post. such delusions... we should all shut up about things we can't change--the stones' aging & the setlists--but shriek about chuck leavell, who is in the same category.

Posted by: 5string ()
Date: June 28, 2007 20:01

Lukester Wrote:
> ....oops, I posted before my morning coffee
> (please ignore)

Lukester!!!! Post again after your morning BEER!!!! Got it on ice here. Cheers! 5

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: June 28, 2007 20:19

Hey 5 (as in 5string).....I was a little critical in my first post, thus reducing myself to the very thing to which I was objecting.....but you're right, I need a cool one....fast!!!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1788
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home