Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

I'm watching the Biggest Bang DVDs
Posted by: micwer ()
Date: June 28, 2007 06:53

Damn, the Stones still sound so AMAZING! What a show at Zilker Park, I'm literally blown away! And that duet with Bonnie Raitt on Shine a Light. Simply beautiful.
These guys rock, no doubt about it. I'm still amazed by the fact that they still amaze me!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-06-28 06:54 by micwer.

Re: I'm watching the Biggest Bang DVDs
Posted by: Guba ()
Date: June 28, 2007 11:51

That's studiowork. They dont sound amazing at all, without the tricks of mixing and overdubbing.

Posted by: micwer ()
Date: June 28, 2007 19:24

Really?

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: June 28, 2007 19:25

micwer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Really?

Enjoy the DVD smiling smiley I'm sure there are overdubs and it seems especially Texas is quite heavily overdubbed. Not sure about the guitars, but I'd say that Under My Thumb and Get Off Of My Cloud sound too good to be true. Lots of Mick's vocals at the last songs are overdubbed. But they still can sound amazing, of course - and I don't mind if they did some magic on some of the songs on the new DVD.

Belgrade-Bucharest-Budapest-Brno

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 28, 2007 19:28

Overdubbing doesn't bother me as much as some of you, I must say
It's editing I find annoying

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: June 29, 2007 01:22

Biggest Bang DVDs are superb. Just got the boxset today!

Posted by: svendborg ()
Date: June 29, 2007 01:31

Yeah I aggree. Sure there are overdubs...but it's still great :-)

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: June 29, 2007 01:55

Guba Wrote:
> That's studiowork. They dont sound amazing at all,
> without the tricks of mixing and overdubbing.

Yeah...they don't sound amazing at all.

Whatever.

Overdubs on Austin? yes. It made an already great sounding band sound excellent. They've done that with other releases. What's the difference now? Take Live At the Max...there are blatant inconsistencies throughout it.

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: June 29, 2007 02:31

Guba Wrote:
> That's studiowork. They dont sound amazing at all,
> without the tricks of mixing and overdubbing.

Wrong, wrong, wrong. It sounded BETTER than the DVD in the park that night.

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: June 29, 2007 02:55

Got it an hour ago and popped in Austin. Some observations through "Tumblin' Dice":

- Charlie Watts is an absolute f*cking force of nature.

- Mick is Mick. He plays it safe quite often vocally, but all in the name of self-preservation. He's still perfecting the role of frontman. Amazing.

- I haven't heard Ronnie play this consistently well since, what, '81? So glad to see he's back in form. Too bad we can't really hear it, though - he needs to be brought up in the mix to compensate for...

- Keith. It seems that his whole style of playing changed when he switched to the big hollow Gibsons, and not for the better. 2nd-rate Chuck riffs from the man who perfected the Chuck riff. And he solos over EVERYTHING! At least he still kills in open G... but wait! During "Dice", right after the guitar/drums/vocal breakdown, just as the horns kick in and the Stones hit their ultimate groove and practically levitate, Keith actually stops playing for about 15 seconds and sprints across the stage! WHAT THE F*CK IS THAT ALL ABOUT???? I mean, I'm glad he can still run after 62 years, the brain surgery, and a lifetime of abuse, but who the hell does he think he is - Mick? Sorry, but that really pisses me off. Honestly, it seems like he really doesn't care about the music anymore. That stupid f*cking persona he's adopted in recent years is getting in the way of the fact that he's half the goddamn engine in this band. You're Keith Richards, rhythm guitarist for the Rolling Stones and King Mofo, not a JOVIAL OLD F*CKING PIRATE! Offstage is one thing, but keep that crap out of the show. And yes, it pains me to say all of that as I love the guy like a friggin' family member. And I know he's been through a lot lately, though it seems like he'd still play fine if he just focused. It's not like he can't play anymore... it just seems like he's choosing not to. And that, to me at least, sh*ts all over their legacy and everything they stand for.

- The overdubs are extreme and intrusive - the constant camera-cutting to not show the out-of-synch vocals are making me feel like I'm watching a Wang Chung video.

That said, the atmosphere of the show comes across really well and it sounds beautiful from an audio perspective, though is it just me or does the volume ebb and flow a bit during, namely, "You Got Me Rockin'"?

OK - rant over. Time to get back to the show. I just needed to get that off my chest.

Posted by: ifyacantrockme ()
Date: June 29, 2007 06:13

I just don't get it. I mean, if you don't know how to play these damn songs after 30-40 years, when will you ever know how to play them? I'm very disheartened at the amount of overdubbing. The band taped a ton of shows over the past 2 years. There has got to be something salvageable to pull from. Maybe just having an assortment of various songs from various shows, like disc 3-4 would be the way to go in the future. I was so excited, but the whole b-stage from the austin show is just very sad because keith isn't even playing but yet you hear his guitar bellowing out of the speakers. c'mon guys!

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: June 29, 2007 07:25

I've watched the first three discs and while Ronnie as a whole isn't as strong as in Austin, everything else seems to be better in the earlier shows.

Especially Keith, which leads me to believe that either he didn't get enough time to convalesce post-palm tree, he was having a really, really, REALLY bad night in Austin, or that the incident was the, um, tipping point in that his lifestyle finally caught up to him after all these years. Most likely the latter, but it bums me out regardless.

One thing shocked the hell out of me, though - when did Keith get his voice back? He sounds amazing on the whole set. No trouble hitting any of the high notes, and great harmonies when he's singing back-up. Did he ease up on the smokes? Maybe get the tar scraped from the pipes? The theraputic effects of Bert in the sinuses?

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: June 29, 2007 10:53

I'm quite convinced that Keith has cut back a lot on the smokes.[rather doubt that he's been to see Micks "voice coach" ;^) ]
Is there anything wrong with him ?
Yes...he's as mad as a fish, has been for years...which is partly why so many of us love the old git ;^)

Posted by: poor immigrant ()
Date: June 29, 2007 11:09

JuanTCB Wrote:
... but wait! During "Dice", right
> after the guitar/drums/vocal breakdown, just as
> the horns kick in and the Stones hit their
> ultimate groove and practically levitate, Keith
> actually stops playing for about 15 seconds and
> sprints across the stage! WHAT THE F*CK IS THAT
> ALL ABOUT????

Yeah, he did the exact same thing in Vancouver last year. I think you can actually see it on YOUTUBE. I was there and his guitar was gone for the whole sprint. He posed a minute then tore into a lick that was WAY TOO LOUD. It was pretty funny. Yeah, I'd rather he just play.

does the
> volume ebb and flow a bit during, namely, "You Got
> Me Rockin'"?

YES! That is my biggest complaint about the DVDs.

Date: June 29, 2007 13:11

90% of the things in a stones show you'll see again and again. Like Keith running in Tumbling Dice. It's part of the show.. not spontanious

Posted by: Stones Blah ()
Date: June 29, 2007 15:24

Keith is playing better than ever!! Watch Under My Thumb he smokes a joint at the beginning and is able to play the song like it is 81 again without touching the guitar!!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1717
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home