Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

My cousin Spiros and the Stones...
Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: June 10, 2007 04:49

Just spoke to my cousin, Spiros, over the phone. Spiros does visit Holland these days. He saw the Stones in Nijmegen. His voice sounded absolutely explicit. "Man, they were @#$%& great. Excellent concert".

My cousin loves rock music, but he isn't a Stones fan. He just does respect them. Spiros is an amateur guitarist. Alvin Lee and Richie Blackmore are his biggest "gods". I asked him "what about Keith and Ronnie in Nijmegen?". He answered "sometimes they were just decent, sometimes they were playing very well. The result was good because each of them knows other's play very well. Mick and Charlie, almost perfect. The whole gig, great".

After having heard Spiro's short "review" (OK, just a few comments), i'm reading again our discusions, here. I haven't personal opinion about the concert, of course. I wasn't there. But i never have seen a bad Stones gig. Never. Even the weakest of them, were just good. At worst. Am i an inwardly partial guy as a fan since 1973? Maybe. But i see that people around me, relatives and friends, after having seen the Stones are drawing much more possitive conclusions about the band than many hardcore fans do. Don't take me wrong, i don't deslike different opinions, just am looking for an explanation.

I think many of us are analyzing (by the microscope, sometimes) every moment of every band's member, especially the guitarists, in a way that was unthinkable in the so called "golden years". Hey, just try to judge in this "modern" spirit Hampton 1981, which is one of the best- if not THE best- Stones gigs ever: you' ll find flaws! Keith misses something on the intros of Under My Thumb and Little T&A, etc. Yes, even Hampton had blemishes, not only an average Stones concert during 70s or early sixties.

Maybe this thread is useless, i don't know. But i want to thank people like my cousin Spiros. I feel that i have to do it. They affirm that my ears are still working well. Maybe they' re not fans, but they appreciate many band's virtues much more than some hardcore fans do. When i read horrible, groundless things here ("the Stones aren't good musically anymore"), when i see fans fulminating against the Stones because of their ...clothes (what a great way to judge artists!), when i feel like a prisoner in a kingdom of "all time" negativity (sometimes i feel so), people like Spiros do confirm the existence of differnet world, out there.

Thank you my cousin!

Re: My cousin Spiros and the Stones...
Date: June 10, 2007 05:40

Well alright!
smiling smiley

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 10, 2007 07:19

~*YEAH!*~

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: June 10, 2007 10:57

Thanks for postin'! Great to hear! grinning smiley

Posted by: JordiStones ()
Date: June 10, 2007 11:02

That's a good comment Stickydion. You're rigth, lately some of the stones fans are very critics with Stones concerts and they don't know how lucky are they to have the possibility to assist to the show of the best r'n'r band of the world ever. Then, please, go to the gigs, leave the microscope at home and... enjoy the party! That's what it is!

Posted by: RiffKichards ()
Date: June 10, 2007 11:04

Yes.. ...good talk...
Many fans are not guitarists (I am not a guitarist) and sometimes are expecting too much from their favourite band since they know their songs by heart..

It's nice to have the point of view of a guitar player who is not fan..

Date: June 10, 2007 11:08

I Say fairly much of the bashin' typed over here
comes from a deep deep need of bein' seen & so on.

"Hi! I'm here! Listen!!!"

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 10, 2007 11:22

Good post to start the day stickydion.

Date: June 10, 2007 13:49

NICOS, this was my last post before i went to bed!

JordiStones, see you in Barcelona.

Baboon Bro, see you in Budapest.

Date: June 10, 2007 14:09

stickydion Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> NICOS, this was my last post before i went to bed!
>
>
> JordiStones, see you in Barcelona.
>
> Baboon Bro, see you in Budapest.

Date: June 10, 2007 14:10

stickydion Wrote:
> NICOS, this was my last post before i went to bed!
>
>
> JordiStones, see you in Barcelona.
>
> Baboon Bro, see you in Budapest.

See ya mate!

Date: June 10, 2007 14:13

Baboon Bro Wrote:
> I Say fairly much of the bashin' typed over here
> comes from a deep deep need of bein' seen & so
> on.
>
> "Hi! I'm here! Listen!!!"

screw you, bro. that's a totally unfair statement: the "bashin'" that you illiteratly refer to is based on experience and genuine LOVE of the rolling stones. (high standards are sign of devotion and respect.) who are you to psychoanalyze your fellow fans - and in such an insulting manner, at that? i thought you were a scholar!

p.s. i'm glad spiro had a great time - i did too!

*and i'm just like that bird - singing just for you*

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-06-10 14:14 by the singer not the bong.

Date: June 10, 2007 14:42

After some good three years on the board, I've learned
the waltzes... Sure many critizers also have a deep love for the Stones,
but there's a l s o people who just bash for the joy of bashing.

Sorry for not being specific about that.

Sticky; alas noh see in Budapest - ya aint goin' to Brno?

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: June 10, 2007 18:46

Well said.

Date: June 10, 2007 23:33

Baboon Bro, my 2007 gigs will be Barcelona and Budapest for sure. And maybe Rome. I wish i could attend 10 concerts, but i cannot do that.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1582
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home