Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Austin DVD Review
Posted by: tommycharles ()
Date: June 9, 2007 19:12

Found this in Best Buy yesterday... thought I'd give it a go, I really liked 4 Flicks and while the content on this one isn't quite as nice, it still looked to be a good set.

Zilker Park is obviously the highlight of the whole thing, loads of cameras, if you've ever seen a Hamish Hamilton directed concert film, you'll recognize his directing style immediately, although he seems to have avoided most of the things he did wrong with U2's Vertigo concert. Very nicely done, I think.

As for the performance? If there aren't any overdubs, then this is the best stones show since No Security. Tumbling Dice has found a new life... and Keith's two numbers were great, I thought. Keith's guitar is nowhere to be found on Bob Wills or Streets of Love, though, which is interesting, perhaps it just wasn't worth mixing? Heh. I'd be interested to see if anyone can compare an audience boot to the dvd track... I'm still not entirely convinced they played all those notes on the night. Under My Thumb is particularly suspect, to me. Also Mick's vocals in Get Off Of My Cloud - WOW. I tip my hat to the man, if he did that on stage.

The mixing folks also deserve a thumbs up - Ronnie and Keith are in, Chuck and the Horns are mixed pretty low for most of it. I agree with the comment about the drums not quite snapping like usual though, and it's not Charlie's fault - the man looks as though he's going to break through all the heads at any moment, heh.

As for the extras...Rio we all know, though the sound is much better on the dvd than on the boots... I haven't watched disc three at all, and the documentary is a bit boring, compared to the Four Flicks one. But still interesting, anyway.

It was all worth it for Zilker Park though... my favorite official Stones DVD.

T

Re: Austin DVD Review
Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: June 9, 2007 19:16

I have only listened to the audio yet and my verdict is the same - if those are no overdubs, then they really put on one hell of a show. But I fear that Under My Thumb has an overdubbed guitar - else the performance is up there with the '81 tour!

Belgrade-Bucharest-Budapest-Brno

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: June 9, 2007 19:20

Official live releases, be they audio or video, are always full of "ovrerdubs" and/or sophisticated digital processing to bring them up to standard.
The mistakes and other faults in the live sound, which are gone in a flash, do not stand the repeated scrutiny and analysis of a recording.
Fair enough as far as I'm concerned. I don't have a problem with it .

Posted by: MICK_JAGGER ()
Date: June 10, 2007 04:50

so does mick go to the editing floor and decide what has to be changed and overdubbed? and if so...do the stones go to the studio, fill in/redo some parts? and then mix it in and try and match it to the physical movements? seems like a timely process...and i thought they were just laying on the beach all this time, haha winking smiley

Posted by: phd ()
Date: June 10, 2007 10:39

Thanks for the review.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1962
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home