Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Best Recorder To Tape Live Shows
Posted by: open-g ()
Date: June 7, 2007 00:50

hmm, mini-disk is a bit dated by now - used to be ok, maybe 5 years ago.
but I wouldn't go out and buy a new one today.

flash disk with wave and mp3 option is the way to go. IMO.

Posted by: frankie ()
Date: June 7, 2007 01:30

Drake records with hi-md.. and a whole bunch of other people.The new md format kicks ass.

Posted by: Rocfair ()
Date: June 7, 2007 05:08

Over the years most all Sony Minidisc recorders would record in manual record mode. The standard MD recorder had to be paused to adjust the levels up or down after the unit was put in the manual record mode. Major Bummer!

When Sony released HI-MD in 2005 they made a host of improvements. The MZ-RH10 featured on the fly record level adjustments (after put in the manual record mode). It also featured a blue backlit display: perfect for night time recording. You did not need a mini flashlight to see the levels. The PCM record mode (no sonic compression) was a major sonic improvement. The latest and all time BEST HI-MD recorder was released in 2006: SONY MZ-RH1. The unit was completely redesigned, much thinner and more compact in size. The Sony Engineers played close attention to the control locations and ergonomic design. The RH1 is a serious recorder and a breeze to use.

DAT was completely discontinued in late 2005. So DAT technology is becoming scarce. The overall bulky size of a DAT recorder is a major obstacle with venue security.

I've never used a Flash media recorder. When great sounding shows start circulating from Flash recorders? I'll believe it when I hear them.

Don

WilcoMick wrote:
Is it possible to adjust the recording level with the Sony Hi-MD while recording? I remember that Sony MD's didn't have that feature while Sharp MD's did.

I've made recordings with both a minidisc recorder (Sharp) and a Sony DAT D8 recorder. I prefered the DAT because I didn't have to change discs, but I think that the Hi-MD is the one I'd use now if I would still make recordings, it's so small! Stick it in your pants and no one will notice.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2007-06-07 05:12 by Rocfair.

Posted by: wawijr ()
Date: June 7, 2007 19:13

this is great information and all but i wouldn't want to give it out on an open board. Who knows who reads this stuff,(there seems to be people kindaclose to the band who does)
So be more careful out there.I hate to see people caught with cameras or tapes.
I've been doing this for 20 years and have not got caught yet (knock on wood))

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-06-08 17:17 by wawijr.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: June 7, 2007 20:31

Rocfair Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> DAT was completely discontinued in late 2005. So
> DAT technology is becoming scarce. The overall
> bulky size of a DAT recorder is a major obstacle
> with venue security.

I met a guy at a german Stones show 10 or more years back who brought in a bulky DAT recorder in a milk tetrapac!!! he told me that at the gate, he pushed a straw into the tetrapac and pretended to suck the milk out of it, so security was fooled to believe that theres really milk in the tetrapac! he told me that even if they checked him and touched his body they never cared about his milk tetrapac. funny guy!

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: June 7, 2007 21:02

Technology will never slow down. Cellphones w/cameras, cameras that shoot outstanding video, single-shot cameras that put pros of the past to shame... If companies want to crack down on people taking home souveneers of live shows then they're gonna have to do some serious police work at every major concert event. You can't make people drop off their cellphones at the door. Digital cameras have become amazingly small while still retaining amazing quality. I have a 2 gig flash card in my camera and it shoots amazing video for up to 22 minutes. I'd just need 6 more flash cards and I could film a show start to finish, in outstanding quality, without worrying about running out of room (5 would do but I would want that extra room). Your more likely to run out of batteries before storage space these days.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 8, 2007 16:28

Here's a pretty funny description from a torrent I downloaded, Joni Mitchell, 1983 :
BTW, the result was terrific !

"The chap who taped this and many other concerts at the Canadian National Exhibition (C.N.E.) had some really good but large recording equipment. So he got a big, 1-meter tall teddy bear, the kind you win at the midway (as the rides and amusements area is called), and stuffed it full of his recording gear and walked in with his girlfriend on one arm and the teddy on his shoulders. Imagine, behind those glazed teddy eyes was a Marantz PMD360, the arms contained a pair of shotgun mics, and up his arse was a Monfretto folding lighting stand and the requisite cables."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-06-08 16:35 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: June 8, 2007 17:45

Ah, so now I know what those inflatable Palm trees are good for...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-06-08 17:49 by open-g.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1241
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home