Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Taylor and Dylan
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: May 5, 2011 20:04

Erik_Snow
StonesTod
and, no i don't think bob was star-struck - i think he was just completely uninspired and coasting (he says he was in his book) during this time. he had competent musicians to distract concert-goers in 84 and 86, so many didn't really even notice so much, i think.

Maybe the new "stadium-style" way of doing concerts in the 80s, by many bands, made Dylan think of his act as "an act" - and not something that would really *move* the few attending.
I think the sterile touch of performing Dylan did in 1984 has something to do what happened around him in the music-business at the time

interesting thought. prolly had something to do with it. bob and the 80's weren't meant for each other.

Date: May 5, 2011 20:05

71Tele
StonesTod
71Tele
StonesTod
71Tele
I am a huge Dylan fan and was talking him up to my bride-to-be in 1988. We ended our wedding day with a Dylan/Petty show in Vancouver (Aug. 20, 1988). Imagine my disappointment went the show was awful and Dylan seemed like he would have preferred to be almost anywhere else. He redeemed himself in '93 with three magical shows at the Paramount Theatre in Seattle, one of which I took my wife to. So I guess I can't blame Bob entirely for our later divorce.

don't know much about your personal timeline, but i assume you meant 1986, not 1988. dylan didn't tour with tom in '88. the only bob/tom show in vancouver was august 1, 1986....maybe this was a different bride-to-be of yours?

You are wrong, sir. August 20, 1988 Vancouver with Tracy Chapman as the opener. I have witnesses.

ok - but he wasn't playing with petty - that was my point - and the vancouver show occurred on august 21, not 20....

You are correct, I apologize. Memory is a funny thing. I amy be mixing up the Vancouver show he played on our anniversary in 1990. I did see Dylan/Petty, but that was earlier.

it's not important, tele. there's a little gazza in me that seems to care about these things, i guess.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 5, 2011 20:13

Thats no way to talk about my todger! angry smiley

Date: May 5, 2011 20:33

Gazza
Thats no way to talk about my todger! angry smiley

well, it's one way....

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 5, 2011 20:56

StonesTod
71Tele
StonesTod
71Tele
StonesTod
71Tele
I am a huge Dylan fan and was talking him up to my bride-to-be in 1988. We ended our wedding day with a Dylan/Petty show in Vancouver (Aug. 20, 1988). Imagine my disappointment went the show was awful and Dylan seemed like he would have preferred to be almost anywhere else. He redeemed himself in '93 with three magical shows at the Paramount Theatre in Seattle, one of which I took my wife to. So I guess I can't blame Bob entirely for our later divorce.

don't know much about your personal timeline, but i assume you meant 1986, not 1988. dylan didn't tour with tom in '88. the only bob/tom show in vancouver was august 1, 1986....maybe this was a different bride-to-be of yours?

You are wrong, sir. August 20, 1988 Vancouver with Tracy Chapman as the opener. I have witnesses.

ok - but he wasn't playing with petty - that was my point - and the vancouver show occurred on august 21, not 20....

You are correct, I apologize. Memory is a funny thing. I amy be mixing up the Vancouver show he played on our anniversary in 1990. I did see Dylan/Petty, but that was earlier.

it's not important, tele. there's a little gazza in me that seems to care about these things, i guess.

It's really amazing that in my memory I conflated my wedding day (1988) with my anniversary (1990) and Dylan with Petty with Dylan without Petty. The mind is a terrible thing to waste.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: May 5, 2011 22:34

I guess it's the Stones fan in me that enjoys this tour, not even really for taylor's playing, which I don't focus on, but for the general British rock'n'roll orientation of the whole band. But I can see the point that bob is not at his most engaged, and he has some of the almost childish phrasings that he would use on the Petty tour, which I definitely don't enjoy--there he seems annoyed by the audience at times, and lectures them about the greatness of Rick Nelson and other topics. But the '84 tour goes down real easy on my ears... maybe that's a problem, but it's sort of cool to answer the question, what if dylan were a straight-up rock singer?

then again, it's not nearly as interesting as something featuring Sly and Robbie might have been... or the Plugz.

Date: May 5, 2011 22:37

cc
I guess it's the Stones fan in me that enjoys this tour, not even really for taylor's playing, which I don't focus on, but for the general British rock'n'roll orientation of the whole band. But I can see the point that bob is not at his most engaged, and he has some of the almost childish phrasings that he would use on the Petty tour, which I definitely don't enjoy--there he seems annoyed by the audience at times, and lectures them about the greatness of Rick Nelson and other topics. But the '84 tour goes down real easy on my ears... maybe that's a problem, but it's sort of cool to answer the question, what if dylan were a straight-up rock singer?

then again, it's not nearly as interesting as something featuring Sly and Robbie might have been... or the Plugz.

bob's appearance with the plugz - almost forgot about that one. that was a wild one-off....

Posted by: lapaz62 ()
Date: May 6, 2011 04:39

Have a look at Dylan Live Aid with Richards and Wood, pathetic, maybe the legend outlived the man a long time ago.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: May 6, 2011 07:02

lapaz62
Have a look at Dylan Live Aid with Richards and Wood, pathetic, maybe the legend outlived the man a long time ago.

yeah, truly a defining moment, you're right ... the 25 years since then are meaningless.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: May 6, 2011 07:11

>The lyrics mean nothing

Do you expect your opinion to be taken seriously after you write this about Bob Dylan? Really?

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: May 6, 2011 08:01

>Maybe the new "stadium-style" way of doing concerts in the 80s, by many bands, made Dylan think of his act as "an act"

I think he always had an "an act".

Consider:

(I was gonna post "Isis" but couldn't find it on youtube.)

Here's another good one from RENALDO & CLARA:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-06 08:14 by Glam Descendant.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 6, 2011 19:26

Glam Descendant
>Maybe the new "stadium-style" way of doing concerts in the 80s, by many bands, made Dylan think of his act as "an act"

I think he always had an "an act".

Well, Yes - you are right. But the reason you are right is that I'm not that good at expressing myself in English. Of course Dylan has always been aware of him performance being an act.....even in the early 60s. But what I meant is that by 1984; Dylan might have been cynical about the whole way of doing a role in the music-business and putting on a "show" like if it was something comparable to a "tivoli" or something else without any real value, apart from entertaining the people...in other words...something he didn't care about, himself

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-07 09:35 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: lapaz62 ()
Date: May 7, 2011 05:47

If he doesnt care that much, why does he pull everything from you tube, make it hard to get bootlegs, do you think it may be just about the moneyspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Ferret ()
Date: May 15, 2011 20:48

I did this before with A Bigger Bang, but I think Mark Prindle really hit the nail on the head with this one;

[www.markprindle.com]

bad record.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: May 15, 2011 21:04

Ferret
I did this before with A Bigger Bang, but I think Mark Prindle really hit the nail on the head with this one;

[www.markprindle.com]

bad record.

It is bad because it SOUNDS NOT LIKE A LIVE album. Try any bootlegs of that tour and you know what I mean.
It's no question of the song choice, of the musicians, of the arrangements.
It's the record company, the produvcer,the engineer, the masterer and whatever they think we, the consumers, want to hear, It's the 80s...

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 15, 2011 21:13

lapaz62
If he doesnt care that much, why does he pull everything from you tube, make it hard to get bootlegs, do you think it may be just about the moneyspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Dylan makes it 'hard to get bootlegs'? When?

Doubt he's much to do with the YouTube pulling either, to be honest.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 15, 2011 21:27

"he pull(s) everything from Youtube, make it hard to get bootlegs, do you think it may be just about the money"

Hey you're dscribing Lars Ulrich from Metallica, right?

Posted by: ab ()
Date: May 15, 2011 22:30

One doesn't have to look very hard to find Dylan boots on the Internet. All your regular bittorrent trackers seem to have 'em.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1991
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home