Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
No Smoking from 1 July
Posted by: Stargroves ()
Date: May 28, 2007 17:46

The law changes on 1 July in England - but will it make any difference to Keith and Ronnie at the O2 arena?

I watched 4 Licks from Madison Square Gardens where they both smoked - presumably it was against the law in the US then.

Re: No Smoking from 1 July
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 28, 2007 17:49

It was - in New York anyway - and Mayor Bloomberg actually wanted them charged because of it.

If you recall, someone tried to do something similar when Keith smoked at Hampden Park last August (the law was already in in Scotland at that time and has been in N.Ireland since last month), but it was dropped as he was technically outside.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: May 28, 2007 17:52

Probably they'll still smoke and be prosecuted & fined some measely some of money - not that it's likely to hurt them !!!

I personally totally support the new law - I had my breakfast in the Witherspoon's (The Bridge ?) in Belfast on April 30th - the very day the new law came into force there - good stuff.

G

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: May 28, 2007 17:59

I'll keep on smoking. I can live without a fag when I'm inside the O2, but I'll light up as soon as I come outside again.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: May 28, 2007 18:09

I remember at the Wembley, Aug. '03 show, Keith just before his set had the usual cigarette in hand and said "I can't read that sign (no smoking) sign over there!"

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 28, 2007 18:33

The only place you can smoke in bars now is Iceland, where the air is clean outside but not inside. And more remote places of course. It have to end you know, sooner or later.

Bjornulf

Posted by: RollingStonesFan ()
Date: May 28, 2007 18:33

It was in Glasgow or Dublin last year: Although it was not allowed to smoke at public places, one special band-member did it, in front of all cameras: Keith. The story ended that the boss of the police authorities exemptet Keith from the monetary .

Posted by: Adams ()
Date: May 28, 2007 18:45

What countries did you take into consideration? In Poland you can smoke in every bar, which totally sucks btw.

>>>>>>>The only place you can smoke in bars now is Iceland, where the air is >>>>>>>clean outside but not inside. And more remote places of course. It have >>>>>>>>to end you know, sooner or later.

Bjornulf

Posted by: RollingStonesFan ()
Date: May 28, 2007 18:57

Germany discusses about interdictions at public places. But the decision will take some more time.

Posted by: jagger50 ()
Date: May 28, 2007 19:00

I suppose it´s about what one intends to smoke.

Date: May 28, 2007 19:04

bv Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The only place you can smoke in bars now is
> Iceland, where the air is clean outside but not
> inside. And more remote places of course. It have
> to end you know, sooner or later.

apparently your world map does not include germany, france (until 2008), russia, korea, japan, china, the state of oregon and many more!

p.s. smoking bans are an outrageous infringment on private property!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-05-28 19:05 by the singer not the bong.

Date: May 28, 2007 19:06

Stargroves Wrote:
>
> I watched 4 Licks from Madison Square Gardens
> where they both smoked - presumably it was against
> the law in the US then.

these things are legislated at the local level in the US. about half of the states have legislation limiting smoking in restaurants and bars. in portland, oregon, however, ya can smoke if ya got 'em!

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: May 28, 2007 19:09

They will likely pay the fine. No one tells the Rolling Stones what to do on their stage, except Chuck of course. :>)

Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: May 28, 2007 19:11

JumpingKentFlash Wrote:
> I'll keep on smoking. I can live without a fag
> when I'm inside the O2, but I'll light up as soon
> as I come outside again.

I was gay in new york, just a fag in LA...

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: May 28, 2007 19:19

In Portugal, by now, you can smoke in bars and restaurants.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 28, 2007 19:21

RollingStonesFan Wrote:
> It was in Glasgow or Dublin last year: Although it
> was not allowed to smoke at public places, one
> special band-member did it, in front of all
> cameras: Keith. The story ended that the boss of
> the police authorities exemptet Keith from the
> monetary .

Glasgow - see my post above.

The Stones didnt play Dublin last year.

Posted by: Stargroves ()
Date: May 28, 2007 19:41

Yes, I remember the Glasgow story. That was dropped as being "outside", wasn't it?

Somewhat off-topic, I watched Pirates of the Caribbean last night and found it interesting that Disney are comfortable with showing hangings, including children, as well as many other violent deaths, but not one of their band of pirates was shown smoking. This would obviously have been unacceptable and corrupting to the audience!

Posted by: dougie ()
Date: May 28, 2007 19:59

When I was at Vrendenburg in the Netherlands in 2003, they had a big sign up in the theater that said, 'No Smoking'. I was not smoking cigarettes, but... . The next thing I know, they took the sign down. I thought that was pretty funny. Like it was going to stop anybody anyway.

Date: May 28, 2007 20:44

marquess Wrote:
> In Portugal, by now, you can smoke in bars and
> restaurants.

It's why i'm going to see the Stones there...;-)

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: May 28, 2007 22:25

dress casual - come as you are

how about a nice lawsuit?

Posted by: madmaxx ()
Date: May 29, 2007 02:01

RollingStonesFan Wrote:
> It was in Glasgow or Dublin last year: Although it
> was not allowed to smoke at public places, one
> special band-member did it, in front of all
> cameras: Keith. The story ended that the boss of
> the police authorities exemptet Keith from the
> monetary .

Yes as Gazza said it was Glasgow.

Smoking on the pitch in Football grounds in Scotland is not banned as they are technically out doors.

Hampden has a self imposed ban, so nothing to do with the police or Scottish Exec if Keith was fined.

As most of the Audience on the pitch where I was were smoking I doubt they can Just fine 1 person anyway.

One of the smaller clubs was for a while after the ban started, letting supporters stand on the pitch for a cig break at half time.

The anti smoking brigade were jumping up and down about it at the time.
I think they ruled it was OK to smoke but for safety reasons supporters should not be allowed on the pitch.

Kent Just a word of warning Train stations and platforms even if they are in the open air are also Non Smoking in London and have been for a few years.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: May 29, 2007 03:41

Keith seems to smoke wherever he's playing, has everytime I've seen him, as some people said above.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: May 29, 2007 04:23

Bet he makes a REAL point of lighting up in London, where he got a big cheer last year for just putting a cigarette in his mouth and lighting it. Whoop-di-doo! He should've shot heroin into his dick onstage instead - now that would have been really shocking.

Anyway, even though I'm a non-smoker, I think the smoking ban in the UK's f.ucking ridiculous. Who wants pubs with clean air for f.uck's sake?

Posted by: Hansel ()
Date: May 29, 2007 13:27

Same in Melbourne,Australia from 1 July.Can't wait.I'm sick of everyone elses poison.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: May 29, 2007 13:34

Roll-on, July 1st!

Posted by: sluissie ()
Date: May 29, 2007 13:52

In Vredenburg there was a nice moment when Ronnie (am I right or was it Keith?) noticed the big No Smoking sign... while enjoying a fresh cigarette.

Here in NL you can still smoke in bars, but it won't take long anymore. I work in a restaurant, and since a year and a half we have to offer the guests smoke-free area's. That started with the smallest area, but since then demand for non-smoking has grown, now we only have about a third of the space for smoking. Great development, and it prooves that it is in the end the public itself that effectuates a ban on smoking. When of a group of 4 there was one smoker, people used to choose smoking. Now, when there's only one or two non-smokers or children/elderly present in a group, people choose non-smoking and the smokers withdraw to the bar from time to time...

Max two years to go before the entire hospitality branche is smoke-free in NL. Can't wait to be honest, because there's no objective reason to find why a smokers should decide what everyone else in the room smells, or does not smell, which is even more relevant in restaurant.

Jelle

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: May 29, 2007 14:54

Nikolai Wrote:
> Bet he makes a REAL point of lighting up in
> London, where he got a big cheer last year for
> just putting a cigarette in his mouth and lighting
> it. Whoop-di-doo! He should've shot heroin into
> his dick onstage instead - now that would have
> been really shocking.
>
> Anyway, even though I'm a non-smoker, I think the
> smoking ban in the UK's @#$%& ridiculous. Who
> wants pubs with clean air for @#$%&'s sake?

I'm leaning towards that direction too.
But I note the youngsters of today seems to enjoy
themselves much much more than we did back in the 80s.

Posted by: skelly ()
Date: May 29, 2007 15:12

Gazza Wrote:
> It was - in New York anyway - and Mayor Bloomberg
> actually wanted them charged because of it.
>
> If you recall, someone tried to do something
> similar when Keith smoked at Hampden Park last
> August (the law was already in in Scotland at that
> time and has been in N.Ireland since last month),
> but it was dropped as he was technically outside.

Not that it makes much difference, but if my memory serves me correctly Keith wasn't charged at Hampden because the stage couldn't be classed as being a public place! (The law in Scotland is no smoking in enclosed public spaces).

Nobody else in the stadium was granted that dispensation!

I think I've bust a button on my trousers....

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: May 29, 2007 15:29

Baboon Bro Wrote:
> Nikolai Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Bet he makes a REAL point of lighting up in
> > London, where he got a big cheer last year for
> > just putting a cigarette in his mouth and
> lighting
> > it. Whoop-di-doo! He should've shot heroin
> into
> > his dick onstage instead - now that would have
> > been really shocking.
> >
> > Anyway, even though I'm a non-smoker, I think
> the
> > smoking ban in the UK's @#$%& ridiculous. Who
> > wants pubs with clean air for @#$%&'s sake?
>
> I'm leaning towards that direction too.
> But I note the youngsters of today seems to enjoy
> themselves much much more than we did back in the
> 80s.

Better drugs.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 29, 2007 15:51

The only dispensation indoors I'm aware of in the new UK smoking legislation is for actors smoking onstage ...where it can be shown to be artistic content of the performance.
I don't suppose it would be stretching a point too far to say that smoking was very much an integral part of a Keith Richards "performance" ;^).

FWIW, I'm a smoker...but I don't like a smokey environment.[I smoke outside at home].
I quite agree with the smoking ban in enclosed public spaces. [I'm not sure to what degree the threat from passive smoking is exagerated... but I think the non smoking majority have the right not be surrounded by smoke in a pub or wherever]

That said, I strongly object to the banning of smoking in any public space which is not enclosed... and where somebody smoking is plainly not a discomfort to others. That's where mindless beaurocracy and pettiness starts to take over...and it makes me fume [No pun intended ;^)].
I'm talking about places like open railway stations and bus stations etc...which to all intents [again no pun] and purposes are more outside than in!
What pisses me off about the government attitude is that they want to paint we smokers as criminals...but they still want us to buy the bloody things because we're all paying them about £25 a week in tax for the privelage.
If they're so concerned about our health...they should just ban the sale of cigs, period.
Then we'd all have to give up !

End of rant . sorry ;^)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-05-29 16:19 by Spud.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1084
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home