Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Is Jagger Boring?
Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: May 19, 2007 16:14

I was posting in another thread about the infamous Jagger bios. There hasn't been a single decent one yet. I attribute this to the "fact" (?) that Mick Jagger, the private person might be a little boring. yes he travels a lot. he has seen more than all of us put together. Slept with the mst beautiful women and men. Written and performed some of the most exciting music ever to come my way. But Marianne, who should know a little about the subject, has written "There is nothing truly mythic or tragic about Mick. He's too normal, too sane.."
One thing I have seen with great actors or impressionists is that "in real life" they are often veryneutral. Like a clean slate. De Niro has been called the 'worst interview' ever. Very boring. Darrell Hammond the really good impressionist on SNL is blank when he is not someone else. And Jagger has so often been called a mimic. Isn't this one of the main differences between keith and Mick? That Keith is the way he is on stage 24/7? Those are the clothes he wears every day. Whereas Mick puts on a costume and does an act.
On the other hand I do believe that Jagger deserves a lot of credit. There has to be a lot of depth to spot these traits to begin with; these traits that he supposeldy 'mimics'. His dancing, his phrasing is his. Great composers steal, so why shouldn't great actors?
I am going in a circle here. This topic has been discussed by far greater minds than mine. Anyone help me out?

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Re: Is Jagger Boring?
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 19, 2007 16:20

well..you know what Keith said about Mick - "he's a nice bunch of guys".

Posted by: brass olive ()
Date: May 19, 2007 17:08

he's not as boring as Keith...

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: May 19, 2007 17:11

Boring? Is MICK JAGGER you're talking about?!!

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: May 19, 2007 17:35

What do I care... I'm not LOOKING for personality, some one to sail the Greek Islands with (OH NO!*).... I dig his music, he has a great voice and knows how to use it with a great band behind THE VOICE.... F*ck the rest, I'll leave that to PEOPLE/US magazine (and others who spend there life fantasing about non sense). In the end he's just another guy, just like all guys are......

* sing it like the "OH NO!" in "IF YOU CAN'T ROCK ME".....

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: May 19, 2007 17:40

Perhaps he is boring, but his bio should still be cool

Belgrade-Bucharest-Budapest-Brno

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: May 19, 2007 17:47

He's done a lot of interesting stuff but I always found him to be VERY cautious (which may be a good thing in the long run since Brian Jones, Jim Morrison, and Jimi Hendrix weren't that cautious....).... I'm sure his journey's have been interesting so I shall read if the book ever appears....

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: May 19, 2007 17:58

yes

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: May 19, 2007 18:12

Other than when he tells anecdotical stories, I find Jagger interviews to be uninteresting. He knows it, too. He is very guarded and quick to change direction (or say @#$%& off) when he feels he is on shakey ground. I've seen early interviews where he is trying to make a profound statement and the thought falls flat. He does not have a thoughtful perspective about things. When he was young he was headed to what...the London School of Economics (I believe)? That is the direction where his intelligence lies. I can carry this thought over to his songwriting, but THAT is another and very long subject. Despite having written many fine songs and generally speaking over the many years, I think his songwriting is pretentious, intentionally vague, contradictory, cliche ridden and trite. Have you ever smeared a word on a page because you were not sure how to spell it? I think Jagger does that with lyrics because he does not know what he's trying to say. His mind leads from one cliche to another. He does not have a clear vision or a way with words. He hopes people find resonance in the ambiguity, but generally I don't.

Posted by: madmaxx ()
Date: May 19, 2007 19:32

He started writing his Autobiography.

Said he found it boring and stopped.

Date: May 19, 2007 19:50

To the extent I know Mick Jagger, which is for 2 to 4 hours in a 6 month span every 3 years or so from 15 to 30 meters distance, I find him to be outgoing, entertaining and full of energy and quite the opposite from "boring".

I doubt he keeps up that pace 24/7/365 so I'm sure he has "downtime" when his everyday life routines seem boring.

I saw an interview with raucous comedian George Carlin who said off-stage he's a very meek, quiet and boring guy in everyday life. When he's onstage for his 90 minute comedy act, he expends all his pent-up energy there. Quite explosive.

Posted by: largelingerie ()
Date: May 19, 2007 19:51

I think it could be the biography vs. autobiography thing. And un-authorized biographies too - lots of them out there and he could just claim that they're filled with inaccuracies and bullshit. Just like he doesn't give too much away about himself in his lyrics -- it's always pretty much been, "What the **$% is he talking about?" He doesn't let you in, and, why should he? I think he's interesting enough to write ABOUT, like Benjamin Franklin, or someone like that, but if he wanted to write his memoirs, I don't think he would have been as guarded as he is in his songs and in interviews.

Keith is our emo guy!

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: May 19, 2007 20:22

He might be boring to some people. I think he actually seems like a pretty cool guy.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-05-19 20:23 by ryanpow.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: May 19, 2007 20:24

So the Rolling Stones were always the remedy against boredom.....Not boring..fighting against boredom..it was

Posted by: RiffKichards ()
Date: May 19, 2007 20:25

I met a guy who have personnaly work with the Stones in 73 (a friend of my father who organized concerts and shows.. for hime the Rolling Stones were just like others he worked with.. ).

He told me they were very friendly, not particularly hard or difficult to work with.. but very MAD people indeed, very crazy..

He told me, at this time, Mick Jagger rent a night club for Marianne birthday.. (private parrty). He asked every men "would like to f**ck her ? let's go..." Marianne and him were completely stoned.. drug, sex and rock'n roll.. it was the sprit of the seventees indeed...

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: May 19, 2007 20:26

NumberOneStonesFan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> To the extent I know Mick Jagger, which is for 2
> to 4 hours in a 6 month span every 3 years or so
> from 15 to 30 meters distance, I find him to be
> outgoing, entertaining and full of energy and
> quite the opposite from "boring".
>
> I doubt he keeps up that pace 24/7/365 so I'm sure
> he has "downtime" when his everyday life routines
> seem boring.
>
> I saw an interview with raucous comedian George
> Carlin who said off-stage he's a very meek, quiet
> and boring guy in everyday life. When he's onstage
> for his 90 minute comedy act, he expends all his
> pent-up energy there. Quite explosive.

to me this makes a lot of sense. During my breif foray into broadcasting classes, I had teacher who said if your a preformer, it cant be an act, you have to be on all the time, on and off camera, and that approach just seems compleltey insane to me. I don't get it.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: May 19, 2007 20:26

those interviews....was not boring at all...free spirits

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: May 19, 2007 20:46

Can't you talk about something better, it's as if your just trying to find fault for the sake of it, get a life for gods sake!

Date: May 19, 2007 20:49

pgarof Wrote:
> Can't you talk about something better, it's as if
> your just trying to find fault for the sake of it,
> get a life for gods sake!

Sure, just wait until the tour begins! Then the topics will be along the lines of set-lists, concert crowds, warhorses, Keef's wardrobe, before and after show party's etc.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: May 19, 2007 22:35

pgarof Wrote:
> Can't you talk about something better, it's as if
> your just trying to find fault for the sake of it,
> get a life for gods sake!

Sure, maybe about prenups.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 19, 2007 22:45

When Mick's in the bedroom he's always boring....!!!!

ROCKMAN

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: May 19, 2007 22:52

Rockman!!

Never thought you'd share part of your personal diary with IORR.
Or have you been consorting with Jerry again?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 19, 2007 22:57

Whooops.....eeeerrr just instinct
Yeah Yeah that's it....male instinct

ROCKMAN

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: May 20, 2007 00:54

I can't imagine a less boring man. He is into everything from archetechure, to gardening, birdwatching, (anything to do with nature he knows a little something about,) art, fine wines, fashion, many types of music not just rock and blues, history, politics, sports, including the fact that he owns a cricket team....and on and on. Even if someone very dull and uneducated were to interview him, GOD FORBID, Mick could carry on an interesting monologue. I think music in some ways may BORE HIM these days! He has so many other interests to fill his time with that it may be a welcome relief to get away from it entirely when not on tour. I would seriously love to just sit quietly and talk with the man about world politics, History and what great books he's read lately. BORING????? I think not.

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: May 20, 2007 01:53

Hmmmmmmm, seems people have little understanding of creative people.

This is not easy to explain, but I will try. When one enters into a creative state or performs, a different aspect of the person unfolds. One inwardly surrenders, even if it is unconsciously, to the creative force that comes in and directs the flow of the creative process or performance. In order to create and/or perform something one literally needs to be "empty" or neutral to that force. If one is overflowing with inner content, it does not allow the creative energy to anchor itself and flower.

If a river is full of silt or man-made debris the natural flow of the river is impeded and it creates a distorted rhythm of flow.

It is the creative force coming through the person that creates the magnetic effect, which in turn attracts people to them and what they create. A prism is nothing without the light that passes through it, but people mistake the prism for the creative element, rather than the light.

When creative people are not creating or performing, the "emptiness" and space where the creative force dwells remains, but the creative force is absent, so the dynamic person that people see on stage is not evident, or at least as pronounced. This is why they are often perceived as dull, boring, lacking in personality or dynamism when they are off stage.

There are, of course, exceptions - those artists or performers with a strong personalities and/or whose creative force is of a higher degree of refinement/quality, still normally retain that vitality, albeit to a lesser extent off stage. People define this quality as "charisma" but it really is something deeper and more profound than that.

SD

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: May 20, 2007 04:08

sonicdreamer--

that was an excellent, dare i say profound, post. lots of food for thought there. thank you.

drew

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 20, 2007 04:28

I was thinking the same, really nice read there, Sonicdreamer

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: May 20, 2007 05:32

Re: Mickschix post, above, maybe people might find someone "boring" if they are obsessively interested in one aspect of a person's life, and the person persists in having a multi-faceted life with a wide range of interests? Can't imagine a lot of hard-core fans would want to hear about Mick's other interests, whether the cricket team, bird watching or wine collection, as they might not share all of them, or be particularly interested in them. Conclusion = boring...

I think the music and touring are a job - albeit a great job that he and the rest appear to enjoy with passion - but you can't live that 24/7. Remember last fall, when they were on tour in North America, and Ronnie's brother died shortly before Mick's dad? They each managed a real fast trip home, but the tour went on and, if you hadn't read about their losses, you would never know if from the shows they put on. They waited until the tour ended to go home to their families (and the end of the Vancouver show was very emotional and poignant because of that - I was so blown away by the energy of the last concert in the tour, but so sad for what they had to go through to give it to us). These guys are professionals in the best sense of the word - this is a business and a lot of other people's livelihoods depend upon when and where they tour. There must be a huge sense of responsibility when you become so big - you have to leave it behind at times and just do something else, no matter how much you love it.

(That said - do not get me started about the ticket prices in the UK!!!)

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: May 21, 2007 02:24

Well, TORONTOGIRL, if you are a hard-core fan, than it makes sense to me that Mick, or Keith or any of the Stones would not appear BORING in the least! I would think being a fan of the band might make the fan interested in knowing about these other facets of their personalities, NO?? I do admire their professionalism and I know that they do feel responsible for all the oters that depend on them. I know I would not have been able to perform as Mick had just after his Dad had passed away. NO WAY!

Date: May 21, 2007 05:16

I'm sure he's terribly charming if he wants something from you.

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1478
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home