Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Robert Plant's "Mighty Rearranger"
Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: May 12, 2007 19:43

Yes, it's a 2005 release, but I'm hearing it now for the first time. Love what I'm hearing so far -- Plant's best album in years. Love the production -- the sheen is gone, the bass is prominent, and Robert is now comfortable with his legacy. Besides all that, his voice is in great shape.

One small nitpick: on a couple of tracks, there's a distorted drum that makes one think that it's being played through a busted speaker. A deliberate joke? It threw me for a moment. Maybe my desktop speakers (Altec Lansings) can't handle the frequency?

Now that I've heard it all the way through, I think that this could be Plant's best-ever solo record. There's not a bad track on it.

BTW, I have a couple of live tracks from this group. I once posted them on "Hot Stuff", but if anyone's interested in a repost, I'll do so. The Strange Sensation's live interpretation of "Black Dog" is very interesting.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2007-05-12 20:54 by bassplayer617.

Re: OT: Robert Plant's "Mighty Rearranger"
Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: May 12, 2007 23:42

Thanks BP617. Caught it on Hot Stuff. Usually say never tinker with classics but that re-imagining of Black Dog is fantastic.

"I'll be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon."

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: May 12, 2007 23:56

absolutely BRILLIANT album from the Plant

album of the year 2005 without a doubt

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: May 13, 2007 03:11

I agree with you all... I also recently discovered his previous album (mostly covers) called Dreamland, which has a similar (sorta) feel... It is nice to see him using his voice intelligently and playing some really interesting new music, rather than trying to sound all Zeppeliny.

Posted by: hickorywind ()
Date: May 13, 2007 14:44

Great follow up to the equally brilliant Dreamland album.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: May 13, 2007 15:04

Totally agree Bassplayer. One of the best from 05; when I got that album I played in nonstop for a week. That guitarrist Justin Adams is no slouch; he's got Jimmy Page's tunings and phrasings down when he wants to. I saw them live doing some of the old Zep hits; and it was like having Page at his best.
Adams also did some producing.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: Odd-beat ()
Date: May 13, 2007 16:32

I like that album. But I was much more impressed by their live presentation of this material (Montreal, September '05)! Not only Plant sang loud and clear and "whispered" less, but that drummer Clive Deamer was so full of energy, intensity and passion...

Posted by: pay pay ()
Date: May 13, 2007 19:29

I bought it when it was pretty new.I love it.He needs to do more like this.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: May 13, 2007 19:34

Oddbeat, that is one tight band he put together.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1192
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home