Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Ever-so-slightly-OT: Rod Stewart One Night Only DVD
Posted by: nik jagger ()
Date: May 9, 2007 22:18

Anybody have/seen this DVD? It's from a Rod Stewart gig circa 2004 at the Royal Albert Hall in sleepy London town. I just received it in the mail and gave it a nice viewing with two 40s in tow. (Nothing like Rod Stewart and eighty ounces of malt liquor on a tuesday evening!)

On the whole, not a bad show. Well, I should specify: it's actually two shows. The first half (and then the last few songs) are good ole fashioned Rod rockers; he opens with his (masterful) You Wear It Well, and plays such gems as Some Guys Have All the Luck, Handbags & Gladrags, and Reason to Believe. Ronnie joins him for an excellent rendition of Stay With Me. (the two of 'em singin the chorus into the same mic - just great!)

The middle portion, however, is five or six of Rod's turgid takes on old standards. He positively massacres Louis Armstrong's beautiful What a Wonderful World. And he wears a tux! A wonderful world at that moment, it was not . . .

The closing of the show is absolutely brilliant; a superb medley of Maggie May and Gasoline Alley. Ronnie also joins him for that number, and does some superlative croch-pumping with his axe. Ronnie being Ronnie!

The crowd seems very enthusaistic throughout; there's a great moment where an overly rapturous reveler starts jumping all over the joint, and a humourless security agent is seen rushing him back to his seat. Whatever happened to rock n roll?

Overall: 3 stars out of 5. Better to see Rod the Mod in person!

Nijmegen-Paris-Belgrade-Bucharest

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-05-09 22:29 by nik jagger.

Re: Ever-so-slightly-OT: Rod Stewart One Night Only DVD
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 9, 2007 22:22

Saw that one on TV. Its not bad at all. Especially with the luvverly Jana Jacoby being in it.

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: May 9, 2007 22:23

hey nik......you remind me of someone I once new.....someone "notorious" on this site.....someone who once boasted the word "bong" in his moniker.......so I see you are returning to Paris this summer......

Date: May 9, 2007 22:28

yeah, i met jana this past march.

me: "you stirred the rhythm of my heart"

her: "yes, but did i wear it well?"

swoon . . .

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 9, 2007 22:35

Hi N, I didn't notice the comeback....

Date: May 9, 2007 22:39

hey guys . . . good to be here, good to be anyw . . .meh, @#$%& that tired old line!

Date: May 9, 2007 22:46

....yeah now I remember, the old nikki saw Rod Stewart in California (?) recently (in March?) and got to meet him backstage, and shared some photos with us on this site....or am I still having hallucinogenic flashbacks?....

Date: May 9, 2007 22:49

Lukester Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ....yeah now I remember,

debatable

the old nikki saw Rod
> Stewart in California (?)

that's young nikki to you - and it was here in portland!

>recently (in March?)

yes

and
> got to meet him backstage, and shared some photos
> with us on this site....

check

or am I still having
> hallucinogenic flashbacks?....

just the memory of the maggots crawling all over rod's face . . .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-05-09 22:49 by nik jagger.

Date: May 9, 2007 22:51

.....thanks.....that's the smart ass we grew to love......hey how about some more funny setlists?

Date: May 9, 2007 22:56

well, i was going to mention that in honour of that london performance, rod played:

you wear that burberry well
some blokes have all the luck
no reason to believe blair
and gasoqueen alley

but i'll have to talk to chuck about getting some stones' setlists . . .

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: May 10, 2007 00:56

This DVD was discussed a while ago. I think it's a great concert performance and I actually like the old standards part. Jana is awesome Rod should have made special mention of her after Maggie May/Gasoline Alley.
During Wonderful World, Rod goes to the side of the stage and sits next to a lady who is wearing a pass. Everyone around her is all excited but she is fairly calm. I was wondering if that's Rod's sister (if he has one)?

Date: May 10, 2007 01:24

Its actually a guy named Pete Mackay's wife, Pete being the tour manager.
An all round great night was had by all, and incidently, the over zealous fan is a mate of mine, and the dvd seems to capture a whole collection of mates on film for prosperity, just imagine a Stones official dvd release complete with a whole bunch of IORR'ers on it, too good for words.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-05-10 01:24 by dishevelmentblues.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2611
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home