Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Emotional Rescue
Posted by: liddas ()
Date: May 8, 2007 14:31

If there is one thing that makes me love driving alone that is I can turn the volume really loud. And Stones music cries to be played loud!

Well yesterday I popped in Emotional Rescue for a change. Almost forgot what a great stones album that was!

Probably, just like Undercover, it suffers for being a slightly unconventional album following more conventional ones, and we all know that stones fans are not known to be very open minded ...

The opener is a Killer. No macho riff, as was the case of its two predecessors hot stuff and miss you, but a great groove under ron's funky lines. With that hilarious "brasilian" section that always makes me smile! Dance!

Summer Romance hits hard, but with great class! Ron swings on bass. The way guitars are recorded and mixed should be the subject of university classes!

Send it to me, ok, will not receive a Pulitzer for its lyrics, but the song is great fun. Vintage rasta Keith!

What follows is one of the stones most sexy pieces of music. Let meeeeeeeeee go. Listen to those guitars!!! Sexy that's it. Its a great variation in time and feel to the two chords song formula of Some Girls! And don't start me on Charlie's drumming ...

Indian Girl is a piece of shit, but you know what? I like this one too: It has some great arrangements ...

The flow of side two is a great bumpy ride. It takes you high with the punk attack of Boys - the rythm in Jagger's singing is absolutely superb -, it drags you down in the hole with one of their best blues trax. Then it makes you wanna buy a Tony Manero outfit and go out clubbing: that Rescue must be played really loud to be appreciated! then she's so cold. I love the kick you get from that huge guitar attack after 6 more minutes of disco shmalz.

At last, Keith's stunning ballad.

dare call it a bad album!

C

Re: Emotional Rescue
Date: May 8, 2007 14:36

I was forgetting to mention the cover art ... one of the stones alltime best!

C

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 8, 2007 14:42

liddas Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was forgetting to mention the cover art ... one
> of the stones alltime best!
>
> C

I agree what you said about the content, but this statement made me think are you serious at all?

- Doxa

Posted by: mofur ()
Date: May 8, 2007 14:58

liddas Wrote:
> > Indian Girl is a piece of shit, but you know what?
> I like this one too: It has some great
> arrangements ...
>

I remember hearing at one time an outtake of "Indian Girl" that was rather groovy as opposed to the one officially released (much the same as there is actually a brilliant version of "Fool To Cry" ) ;-)

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: May 8, 2007 16:56

liddas Wrote:
> dare call it a bad album!
>
I finally bought the cd a few months ago at the Tower Records close-out sale. Hadn't heard it in years.

It's really not very good.

Especially when you compare it to what they were doing 8-11 years earlier.

Maybe the Stones have been down for so long, that ER is starting to look good. But let's get real.

And the cover is one of the worst, perhaps THE worst.

Posted by: tops06 ()
Date: May 8, 2007 16:58

The first Stones album I bought. Has a special place in the old heart. Takes me back to a simpler time. Fifteen years old, riding my bike to Sound Odyssey to pick up this album... Summer of 1980. The rest is history.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: May 8, 2007 17:01

From timeisonourside.com:

There's a lot of pastiche all over the album. It's all our piss-taking, in other words. Pastiche is just a big word for it.
- Mick Jagger, 1980

I think people are misinterpreting Emotional Rescue. It's just a lot of fun. A humorous, tongue-in-cheek record. It's not supposed to be taken seriously.
- Mick Jagger, 1980

Emotional Rescue is sort of half Rolling Stones working within the basic mold, and the other half is trying out things.
- Keith Richards, 1980

I don't think (it's a New York City album). To me, New York is like Lou Reed and all those other bands.. (The rhythms in Dance and Emotional Rescue), (t)hat is New York, yeah. English people hate it, 'cause they say it's all disco. I know (it's not), but that's what THEY think it is, you see. It's just black music.
- Mick Jagger, 1980

Well, it's not TOO misogynous. But there IS a bit of a one-track mind in there. Everyone's been reminding me that the album has only got one subject, which is GIRLS. Obviously, that's got to change... Maybe I'll become a Marxist rock & roller and make a Marxist album. @#$%& all this girl stuff. Make an album with anonymous musicians - apart from MYSELF - who won't get paid.
- Mick Jagger, 1980

It doesn't (have the resonance of Some Girls). You know, Emotional Rescue is a lot of leftovers from Some Girls. Really.
- Mick Jagger, 1995

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: May 8, 2007 17:14

Side 2 of ER is actually as strong as any Stonesalbum. It is the mediocre Side 1 that to me drags the whole album down. ER bothers most of us somewhere, somehow, otherwise it would not be one of the outcast albums. To me "Send it to Me" is a good outtake but it is just not at the top level of most Stones releases.
There is the interminable "Dance" with no singing to speak of. And they once again put out the worst version. Dance 2 and then of course the LIVE Dancer changed everyhting, but in 79 no one had heard it and we were stuck with that. After "Brown Sugar", "Miss You", "Rocks Off" and "If you can't rock me" it... Dance is a groovy track, it was hard to get into as the OPENER for the much awaited new Stones album. "Summer Romance" rocked hard but after Some Girls I had heard better. "Let me Go" is good and Idian Girl I never minded. The lyrics are embarrassing but how often has Jagger embarrssed me? That is what Jagger does.
Side 2 is great.
Cover is the worst ever.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: May 8, 2007 17:51

To me, this album is a clone of Some Girls.

On some girls there was a mix of Disco (Miss You), Blues (Some Girls), Country (Far Away Eyes) and Punk (Respectable).

On ER you have Disco (Dance / ER), Blues (Down in the Hole), Country (Indian Girl) and Punk (Where the Boys Go)

As such, it pales a bit in comparison to its big brother. If you ignore the context, it is a great album though. The only song I dislike is ER itself which, IMO, really was just going through the motions to conform to a formula.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: May 8, 2007 17:54

I think it's a great album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-21 13:03 by vudicus.

Posted by: monkey man ()
Date: May 8, 2007 18:02

I agree in general Liddas. LMG, Dance and SSC are my faves on the album.

IG could have really gone somewhere had it not outstayed its welcome (5ish minutes or so??) - and it's apauling production. Those trumpets....huh? How did they fit in? And Mick's vox become weaker and more ridiculous the further the song goes. Hope some band latches onto this 'should be' gem and reworks it for all of its potential glory.

I'm with Doxa and Chelsea (funny how little changes after all these years hey lads?) on the cover however. It sux!

kyle m

Have you ever lent somebody $20 and never seen them again? It was probably worth it.

Date: May 8, 2007 18:13

I don't get your critics on the cover: I truly like it a lot. The LP version of course. I agree that on cd it loses something. Bridges to Babylon, now THAT is a cover that stinks!

Also, I don't get why we should always compare one album with another. Of course Exile is a way better effort. But ER was not supposed to be another Exile or Some Girls. I find it is truly good as it is.

Chelsea, actually I find side 1 stronger than side two, it flows better. Probably it helped that I bought Emotional Rescue a long time before Some Girs and any golden era stones album. At the time Stones was Tattoo Still Life undercover and, of course Rolled Gold (the no 1) I didn't expect anything from it. I just liked it. Immediatley. Actually, it took more time to get into albums like Some Girls and Goats.

C

Date: May 8, 2007 18:20

ER cover for me is like most Stones covers imo - cheap and uninteresting. Flashpoint has to be the worst.

My faves are (cover wise that is) LYL, TY SF, IORR and I rather like Stripped - but I've been slammed for those opinions here in the past. Just different tastes I guess. Oh, I like Beggars as well - the RSVP one not the dunny wall version.

I agree re the comparisons as well. But hey, I really enjoy Metamorphasis to listen to as well, so what do I know?

hahaha.

kyle m

Have you ever lent somebody $20 and never seen them again? It was probably worth it.

Date: May 8, 2007 18:22

I think yopu're right about the flow of Side 1 because Side 2 has more drastic style changes. I just like 2 better.
Liddas I hated the cover; even with the silly poster. Jagger really tried to make it work but it was half ass. Even he saw it sucked.
I agree with Babylon. To me that cover is almost.. (don't want to say a political word, but it leans to the RIGHT..). It was so strange: SW, VL and B2B all had these ridiculous "abstract" "artsy"?? covers. The best Stones covers have the band on it or something that rocks like a crotch.

Date: May 8, 2007 18:30

ChelseaDrugstore Wrote:
> Liddas I hated the cover; even with the silly
> poster.

LOL: I had the silly poster hanging in my bedroom for years ...

Kyle:

what are you raving about? I enjoy Metamorphosis too! Is Metamorphosis supposed to be a bad album???!

C

Posted by: pay pay ()
Date: May 8, 2007 18:37

I love it.There's really not a bad song on it.Even Indian Girl.

Date: May 8, 2007 18:40

"LOL: I had the silly poster hanging in my bedroom for years ..."

Me too!! But I was 14 when I bought ER in 1982 and can be forgiven. :0)

Yeah Liddas, Meta has a really bad wrap. A Rolling Stone review book on albums gave it a square. The ratings were 5 star (brilliant, masterpiece etc)....to 1 star - which of course is regarded a bad album.

A square was described as (if I recall correctly) "drinking used bath water would be prefferable to owning this album", or something like that. But anything with Jiving Sister Fanny on it has to be worth at least one star you'd think!

kyle m

Date: May 8, 2007 18:58

Metamorphosis should not be reviewed like a regular Stonesalbum. For starters the Stones did not put it out. Wyman's "Black Box" would have been so different in a good way. (And now that I think of it that was the last time Jagger was trying tp promote a project that afvored artistic merit over monetary value.)
And I think none of the album was ever planned to be put out anyway.
Side 2 of Metamorphosis rocks. It is Side 1 once again that scares folks.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 8, 2007 19:26

monkey man Wrote:
> "LOL: I had the silly poster hanging in my bedroom
> for years ..."
>
> Me too!! But I was 14 when I bought ER in 1982 and
> can be forgiven. :0)
>

Bloody hell, I also bought the album when I was 14 in 1982 and put the stupid, big, ugly and in anyway unsuitable poster on the wall... which makes me think: where is it now? Gone. Haven't really remembered the existence of it for years, but now I started miss it.

- Doxa

Posted by: EddieL ()
Date: May 8, 2007 19:32

Very underrated as an album. But remember when this album was released what was happening generally on the music scene....P...U...N...K spells Punk

Date: May 8, 2007 19:33

Doxa Wrote:
> monkey man Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> Bloody hell, I also bought the album when I was 14
> in 1982 and put the stupid, big, ugly and in
> anyway unsuitable poster on the wall... which
> makes me think: where is it now? Gone. Haven't
> really remembered the existence of it for years,
> but now I started miss it.
>
> - Doxa

Ok, must be the age then! I bought it in july of 82, and I was 14 and Italy won teh world cup!

The poster remained in my room for some time, then returned in the lp cover.

The funny thing is that some time ago I was considering to frame the poster in a double plexyglass layer so to have both sides available and hang it somewhere in my house. Its a great poster.

C

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: May 8, 2007 20:37

Love the cover! But I'm a weirdo, we all know that.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: May 8, 2007 22:09

Keith invisioned dance as not being a traditional kind of song with lyrics, versese, bridge ect. He waw it as being like "ShotGun" by Jr. Walker and the all stars. It was mostly about the riff with the same lines repeated. Mick added some additional lines in it "rich man eyes a poor man...." but thats not 'ow Keef wanted it.

Posted by: nik jagger ()
Date: May 8, 2007 22:18

A superb album. Many of you here are aware of my long, passionate relationship with that little Indian Girl.

Nijmegen-Paris-Belgrade-Bucharest

Posted by: wee bobby lennox ()
Date: May 8, 2007 22:51

emotional rescue isnt really one of my favourites.

only dirtywork is worse.

Date: May 9, 2007 00:13

nik jagger Wrote:
> A superb album. Many of you here are aware of my
> long, passionate relationship with that little
> Indian Girl.

the one from Nueva Grendada? Her father aint no che grijalva.

Date: May 9, 2007 00:26

i see you haven't enrolled in those remedial spelling courses yet, ryan . . .

Date: May 9, 2007 00:30

what??? I googled that too make sure it was spelled right! I have to check again later...

Posted by: stonesrick ()
Date: May 9, 2007 00:55

About 6 months ago I bought the 3 CD's I had not updated from my worn out vinyl LP's.

Emotional Rescue
Dirty Work
Undercover

The reason these were the last ones to be purchased was because over the years they have been my least favourite albums.

So I have listened and evaluated how I feel about them now.

Emotional Rescue - some good tracks, Let me go, Dance, She's so cold, All about you, the rest I find pretty mediocre.

Dirty Work - some good tracks, One Hit, Winning Ugly, Dirty Work, Sleep Tonight, the rest I find pretty mediocre.

Undercover - some good tracks, The Pain of Love, She was hot , All the way down, the rest I find pretty mediocre.

My point is that most of the Stones Albums have tracks that some we like, some we love, and some we dislike.

In my opinion, apart from Exile, Sticky Fingers, Some Girls and Beggars Banquet, in which I love all the tracks, you will get albums which have some gems and some you may class as stocking fillers.

Date: May 9, 2007 00:56

stonesrick Wrote:

>
> In my opinion, apart from Exile, Sticky Fingers,
> Some Girls and Beggars Banquet, in which I love
> all the tracks, you will get albums which have
> some gems and some you may class as stocking
> fillers.

you forgot to include Tattoo You in that category - not a weak track on that mother!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1463
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home