Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: was foreniger pissed at jfk in 1978
Posted by: Glass Slide ()
Date: December 30, 2006 20:19

If you do a search you might find it--I saw that picture on this board--but it was a while ago.

Posted by: keef_nerd ()
Date: December 30, 2006 20:25

dariog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> does anybody have pics of the trashed stage afer
> the stones went on that day i was told there was
> like 2 feet of beer bottles on the stage.

I'd love to see this as well,this show is always talked about with everyone in philly

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: December 30, 2006 22:26

tatters Wrote:
> Your ongoing obsession with 1978 is getting a
> little weird.

Are you kidding? 1978 was one of their finest years - great single, great album, great tour (on some nights). Obsess away Dario. We'll compare notes.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: December 30, 2006 22:28

did foreigner play their war horses like Hot blooded and cold as ice?

Date: December 30, 2006 22:34

i would have been pissed at foreigner for even showing up.

p.s. ryan, great spelling job on foreigner. i didn't think you had it in you! winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-30 22:39 by The Notorious NIK.

Date: December 30, 2006 22:38

Holy ShIt, I got it right on the first try! I didn't have to refer to Dictionary.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-30 22:39 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Debra ()
Date: December 30, 2006 22:53

Yes Ryan, Foreigner played all their hits, they were actually pretty good, and yes, Mick was very ill with a flu or virus and the Philly papers the next day reported he had a 102 degree fever. The set was about 90 minutes, very short for the Stones.You'd never know that Mick was sick though the way he strutted and moved, the sign of a real champion! I was never a big fan of the '78 tour because SOME GIRLS is not a favorite cd of mine; I never loved the punk influences. Just me. I am an older fan so I was kind of put off by that little side step they took. For me EXILE, BEGGAR'S BANQUET, LET IT BLEED and STICKY FINGERS are the big 4 in my book.

Date: December 30, 2006 23:07

thats cool that you were there Debra. 78 is my personal favorite rolling stones era.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: December 30, 2006 23:09

yes indeed, cant wait for a complete dvd of this tour

Posted by: keef_nerd ()
Date: December 30, 2006 23:37

melillo Wrote:
> yes indeed, cant wait for a complete dvd of this
> tour

i would pay so much money for the complete ft worth show on dvd

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 30, 2006 23:39

Easy quiz time...

Whats the connection between Foreigner and the Hyde Park gig in 1969?

Posted by: tjkeef ()
Date: December 30, 2006 23:50

Does anybody remember allthe shoes thrown on tthe stage in anaheim in 78? there were so many that the band had to leave the stage in the middle of their set to have it cleared of all the shoes! I threw my earth shoes and almost hit Mick!

Date: December 30, 2006 23:52

Why were you throwing shoes at a band you love?

Date: December 31, 2006 00:03

The exitement maybe? Idont know But it was Agreat @#$%& SHOW .

Date: December 31, 2006 00:05

"I @#$%& love you guys!!! Here, have my shoes!" haha tongue sticking out smiley

Date: December 31, 2006 00:07

Iguess You had to be there?

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: December 31, 2006 01:39

I was there in Philly 78. And Foreigner most definetly payed those damn hits. And everyhting else they could think of. They would not go away. We were very rowdy and tired. I was way uo front and we'd been there for a loooong time; it was really rough. And all we wanted was the Stones. Sly Dunbar's drumkit had a tom tom knocked off when an orange hit it. Peter goes "Don't throw dem fruit. I free all de herbsmoker in da world.."LOL He was cool. But Foreigner would not get off that stage. everyone was screamiong "Go away!" And they would smile, line up, take a bow, do yet another encore.."
Torture I tell ya.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: January 2, 2007 08:37

To answer an earlier question, the connection between Foreigner and the Hyde Park '69 gig is that Ian McDonald of Foreigner played in King Crimson at Hyde Park. One could argue that he, more than Robert Fripp, was the driving force behind the original Crimson lineup.

For Ian McDonald, playing in Foreigner was about as much of a corporate rock sell out as Steve Howe, Carl Palmer and John Wetton playing in Asia. So much chops between 'em, and they trot our ersatz Journey. My only explanation is that they had mouths to feed.

I was at the JFK show. Foreigner was an embarrassment -- album oriented rock at its most cynical and crass. "We're gonna do something spacy!" They couldn't leave fast enough for my liking.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: January 2, 2007 09:58

Debra wrote:

SOME GIRLS is not a favorite cd of mine. For me EXILE, BEGGAR'S BANQUET, LET IT BLEED and STICKY FINGERS are the big 4 in my book.

I agree. Some Girls seemed OK at the time but I don't think it has aged well IMO. For me the big 4 would be LIB, SF, Exile & GYYYO. Alway like GYYYO much better than Beggars because I think the live versions of SFTD, SCB & SFM are much better than the studio versions.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 2, 2007 15:39

Whats the connection between Foreigner and the Hyde Park gig in 1969?

Just wanted to add that Mick Jones of Foreigner was a close friend of the Beatles in the early days. I think his band opened for them back then.

Lou Gramm = good voice, even if the music was sometimes (but not always) bland.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: January 2, 2007 18:13

I WAS AT THAT concert...it was short...but since i was drunk i don't really remember much more...ha...
it was a short concert and a lot of fans were very pissed that it ended so soon.. ...i don't think they ended the concert fast because of a bad croud..all of philly was very up for that show...i remember jagger had some sort of cold and his voice was a little off that day. i even camped out to try to get better seats...
well they were the good old days....

Date: January 2, 2007 18:21

Elmo Lewis Wrote:
> Whats the connection between Foreigner and the
> Hyde Park gig in 1969?.

This guy...

Ian McDonald played sax, flute and mellotron in King Crimson in 1969, then later formed Foreigner with Mick Jones. I could have said the west palm beach festival of 1969 as well. tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: January 2, 2007 20:52

i'm surprised to hear foreigner was boo-ed. in '78 they were on top of their game - wasn't "hot blooded" #1 for a while? i loved them! i saw them a few years ago too and they still sounded good.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: June 20, 2010 01:32

dariog
when they opened for the stones on that day did they get really pissed after the objects started to fly at them i heard it was tomatoes and beer bottles.

No! It was kumquats and whiskey bottles! Man, were they pissed!

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: June 20, 2010 02:23

dont know about foreigner at jfk 78, but journey got pelted with trash by the angry, soaking-wet crowd in buffalo 81 lol.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: June 20, 2010 02:35

confused smiley I'm always amazed by the attentin this show has gotten over the years because as I said, it was my least favorite tour and MY VERY WORST STONES SHOW! I was actually very afraid for my safety much of the time. Wild is not the right word for the crowd.....CRAZED, DANGEROUS and really OUT OF CONTROL! Way too drunk, not serious fans, just idiots there to drink from what I saw...and it was the only time I wished I was NOT up front! Got great photos though.

Posted by: jjflash73 ()
Date: June 20, 2010 04:01

Spent th enight in the parking lot, lots of weed and beer, M80's going off all night long, a few guys tried to climb fences over 50 feet tall. Wound up in front, wild rock n roll day, tomatoe's and more were thrown at Foreigner and its a shame they were pretty good. Mick (reportedly very ill) tore it up. Keith and Ronnie loud and dueling. Show was more like 80 minutes and that included ;satisfaction', took the Amtrak train back to NY, slept in the luggage holders above the seats. I was 17 years old and loved it.

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: June 20, 2010 06:40

Debra
I don't recall objects thrown at Foreigner, they played a good set,I was right up front and when they sang " I'll leave you my key", the lead singer tossed hotel keys into the crowd. That was no doubt the WORST CROWD I'd ever been in at a Stones concert! Very, very drunk, very aggitated and the pushing kept up throughout the show, especialy when the Stones came on. When Mick sang Faraway Eyes" I was nearly killed! Really! Some nice kid actually held me up because I was being bent over and about to hit the ground! He saved me! A nasty day in my Stones history.
Debra--ur back! long time no see.

Date: June 20, 2010 08:25

why would Foreigner be pissed at JFK ? He wasn't even alive anymore in 78..

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 20, 2010 11:34

"Your ongoing obsession with 1978 is getting a little weird."

I guess he was born exactly nine months after the Philly show... >grinning smiley<

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1752
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home