Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Jonesys Jukebox
Date: May 5, 2007 19:50

Hey everyone, if ya don't know, check out Steve Jones(Sex Pistols) radio show on the web. He plays a Stones song almost everyday. Most of the time really obscure stuff. He has great in-studio guests. During an interview with Robyn Hitchcock, they both agreed that Keith is the only guy they'd walk across the street to meet. He's a major Stones fan. He admitted the other day he nicked one of Keith's jackets.

12-2PM weekdays, pacific coast time.
www.indie1031/fm

Scotty
Irvine, California

Re: Jonesys Jukebox
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 5, 2007 19:52

Thanks for the link micknkeef@cox.net shure want to check this out

Date: May 5, 2007 20:06

I forgot to add that his shows are archived. So you can listen to past shows. They're on the website.

Scotty

Posted by: TippyToe ()
Date: May 6, 2007 06:03

Sex Pistols are a great band I think. I know there is all the talk that they couldn't play their instruments, but it's all wrong. Cook & Jones are one of the tightest combos in rock history I think. And Johnny Rotten certainly had a few things to say.

Johnny sadly seems to be losing his edge lately. I saw in an interview on youtube or somewhere where he is even admitting he doesn't really hate Pink Floyd. (Johnny's home made "I Hate Pink Floyd" t-shirt is what got him the gig as the Sex Pistols singer.)

Click the link below for a hilarious interview that Johnny did on the "Bronx Bunny" show. I think this show was produced in Britain but is set in New York. Very funny.

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: May 6, 2007 14:43

Thanks for the info.

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: May 6, 2007 16:56

Steve Jones - a total character and an amazing guitarist (to me, at least, he's got the most recognizable sound since Keith).

What's pretty funny is that if you listen to "Some Product" (a Pistols interview album released shortly after their demise), you'll hear about 10 minutes of Steve taking listener's phone calls on KSAN San Francisco and absolutely berating the callers - every girl gets asked if she's "got big t*ts" and every guy just gets abused.

30 years later? He's probably California's most beloved DJ.

Heh.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: May 6, 2007 17:34

For people of a certain age--close to or over 50--Steve Jones brings back a free spirit that had left radio so long ago we thought it was gone forever.

Younger audiences who grew up with radio that always sucked, with deejays who are chained to playlists and micro-managed by corporate masters will find Jones fascinating. No one but a Sex Pistol could get away with the anti-professionalism he sometimes displays on the air, and certainly no one else (outside of college radio) would be allowed to program a show with music that is basically WHATEVER HE WANTS.

Jones has defied all expectations by not just playing his mates (Clash) or his influences (T-Rex) but also giving massive amounts of airplay to music from his past that can only seem weird (early Cliff Richard). He is way, way past having any "guilty pleasures" and he plays records that can make his fan base cringe ("Sweet and Innocent" by Donnie Osmond! "More Than A Feeling" by Boston!) He is breaking down all hipster expectations/walls/stances by creating a musical omniverse that is somewhat post-post-post-post modern. If you had told me in 1976 that a Sex Pistol would be hosting Peter Frampton on a radio show and joking and jamming with him, I would have told you you were nuts. But now it all seems right and fine.

Has he mellowed? Sure he has. But he still doesn't give a damn even if he's dropped the angry young man schtick. What I like is that he's offering music without irony or distancing context. It's straight from his heart--he's the last honest man on the radio.

Three years ago, not long after his show started I was driving in my car at lunchtime listening when he put on a favorite song of mine that I've never heard on the radio, and couldn't believe he was playing now: "The Poacher" by Ronnie Lane!

I was so excited that when I got back to my office I sent Ian McLagan an email telling him about it! And eventually when he was in town, Mac made it on the show as Steve's guest.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2007-05-06 21:16 by loog droog.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 6, 2007 20:22

Real cool, loog droog.

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: May 6, 2007 20:29

Hi,
Nice work involving Mac.
He is a top guy!
More power to Jonesy too!
Cheers,
Si.

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: May 6, 2007 20:46

Steve Jones is indeed an underrated gutarist. I seem to recall that on "Never Mind the Bollocks", he also played the bass parts. This was recorded after Matlock was replaced by Sid Vicious, and as we all know, Sid simply couldn't play very well.

I also have an LP of a band called "Chequered Past", with Jones, singer Michael Des Barres, Tony Sales and I'm thinking Nigel Harrison on bass. A good band, but they couldn't crack the charts. Had a nice single called "How Much is Too Much".

Date: May 6, 2007 22:19

Clem Burke, too.

I saw them all together while in line to buy a ticket to see Ian McLagan at the Country Club in Reseda. Jones was probably high at the time because he was mad-dogging me, yet Clem was nice and I think I made Des Barres' day by naming my favorite tracks off the the second Detective album.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 6, 2007 22:24

I couldn't stop laughing the first time I saw the BBC interview from 1977 with Sex Pistols...
I: "First of all...are you serious?"
I: "Go ahead say something outragous!"
Jones: "You dirty fvcker!"
I: "I am shocked. Come on, once more" etc etc etc

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: May 6, 2007 22:31

Check out "Mercy", that´s a good one.

Date: May 11, 2007 02:25

Today On Steve's show he played 'Miss You' followed by Keith's 'Hate It When You Leave'. He stated that 'Hate It...'"...sounds a bit like Marvin Gaye. Very nice."

Scotty
Irvine, CA

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 11, 2007 04:13

Jones plays some great licks on Iggy's Instinct album.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 11, 2007 05:40

Here a link that actually works: [www.indie1031.com]

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: May 11, 2007 06:02

One of my favorite Steve moments is the original Generation X version of "Dancing With Myself" - it's the same as the Billy Idol solo version, except the Gen X one has layers upon layers of the Steve Jones Les Paul Panzer Division on the chorus - it's glorious. Steve, to me, is the second greatest rhythm guitarist ever, right behind Keith. He's powerful, relentless, ruthlessly precise, and instantly recognizeable. Great tone, too, just pure brown.

And just to tie everything together, Jonesy is pure Stones, just once or twice removed. His biggest influence is obviously Johnny Thunders - who was the original Keith clone - and to quote Glen Matlock, the blueprint of the Pistols' sound was the Faces' "Borstal Boys".

So there you go. Gold rings on ya, Steve!

Date: May 11, 2007 08:16

Some of Paul Cook's bits remind me alot of Kenney's drumming on "Pool Hall Richard."

Another thing I like about Jones is, HE HATES STEELY DAN!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-05-11 08:20 by loog droog.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: May 11, 2007 09:02

>Jones plays some great licks on Iggy's Instinct album

I was about to write that but whitem8 beat me to it : )

I seem to recall Iggy speaking not too fondly of him later however...

Date: May 12, 2007 20:54

Many thanks to Koen for the correct link. Guess I should go online and type BEFORE I go to the bar. Hic! If anyone from Keith's camp is reading these posts, Keith really needs to drop by Steve's show next week. Keith and Steve's love of reggae could make for a very interesting show.

Scotty
Irvine, CA

Date: May 15, 2007 02:51

Today Steve's very first song was Ronnie's 'I Can Feel The Fire'. Followed by Nick Gilder and then The Equals. God, I love this guy.

Scotty
Irvine, CA

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: May 15, 2007 03:03

great post at 17:34 loog...really cool!
i've seen Chequered Past with all those guys a couple of times at Wongs back in the day...(and Lydon with PIL elsewhere in l.a.)...CP not the greatest band but i wasn't gonna miss jones. they had another singer early-on before DesBarres joined i recall...i wanted to see Tony Sales too, but aside from jones, especially Clem Burke...who is quite the kick...what a beautifully written post about the radio show...now i'm gonna make sure i catch a show...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-05-21 23:55 by Beelyboy.

Date: May 24, 2007 02:33

Greetings Everyone,
Today, Steve was on a roll. His first 45 min. on the air was as follows -
1) Peter Green - Albatross (instrumental)
2) Mama Cass - Make Your Own Kind Of Music
3) Audrey Hepburn - Moon River (from Breakfast at Tiffanys)
4) Jonathan King - Everyone ... (I didn't get the full title)
5) Ron Wood - Act Together
6) Elliot Smith - Angel In The Snow
He then went to commercial so he could get the score of the Chelsea vs Liverpool game. He came back from commercial to play -
1) Keith - 999
2) Springsteen - Cadillac Ranch
3) Real Men of Genius(Bud Light)/Jonesys Jukebox promo - we here in the states know what 'Real Men ..' is.
4) Billy Idol - Cradle of Love
5) Ian Hunter - Once Bitten, Twice Shy
Towards the end of his show he bemoaned the fact that his beloved Chelsea lost. Radio like this is sorely missing in the States. Where else would hear Keith and Ronnie played within 15 min of each other.

Scotty
Irvine, CA

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: May 24, 2007 02:43

Number 4 is likely Jonathan King's "Everyone's Gone To The Moon"
?

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: May 24, 2007 02:54

loogie, nice post, I indeed remember those rebellious radio days of the 70's....and micknkeef@cocks.net, thanks for sharing

I listened to this program regularly on Sunday nights a couple of years ago when I had to make a weekly 4 hour trip.....I looked forward to the ride just to hear this program.....why was the program on Sunday nights? I guess when you live so far out in the sticks like I do it takes a couple of days for radio signals to reach my car...I'm pretty sure the space shuttle astronauts got the signal sooner than I did (or it was pre-recorded, I'm not sure)

Date: May 24, 2007 03:21

Lukester,
At that time Indie 103.1 was just starting up and they rebroadcast several of their shows in the wee hours to fill up the time. At that time it was just an hour show, 4 days a week if memory serves me. They finally convinced Steve to expand to 2 hours, 5 days a week. Thankfully for us here in SoCal. Steve is the coooolest person on the radio right now. For so long the only way to hear 'cutting edge' radio was to listen to Nick Harcourt's 'Morning Becomes Ecclectic' on PBS station KCRW. Now, at least, for those of us who prefer radio with a brain here in LaLa Land have 2 options during the day.

Scotty
Irvine, CA

PS. Mr.Neck, Henry Rollin's from Black Flag, also has a radio show on Indie on Saturday nights. He also has a weird/different/non mainstream playlist. You can listen to him live on the web also.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 24, 2007 03:30

this sounds great. Many thanks, Scotty...I'll have to check that show out

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: May 24, 2007 09:35

I thank three too, Scotty from California.
Great thread!!!

This is the rock 'n roll heritage.
Grew up in this, into the fire
where the punk rockers were fried & grilled.
They were and are (the remaining survivors)
hardcore r & r-fans.

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: May 24, 2007 14:54

I visited the website posted earlier in this thread, but all I could find was that the audio on the site was under 'major reconstruction'.

So where can I listen to his past shows on the site?

Thanks for making me aware of this show. Based on the tracklists from previous broadcasts it's seems to be great.

Posted by: mofur ()
Date: May 24, 2007 16:13

micknkeef@cox.net Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> He admitted the other day he nicked
> one of Keith's jackets.
>
> >
> Scotty
> Irvine, California

Only the jacket? There's been a rumour for many years that not only were the Sex Pistols the heir apparent to the Stones' throne as "Bad Boys" but that, indeed, "Never Mind the Bollocks..." were recorded with two of Keith Richards' guitars, stolen from Wood's shed, when Keef was living there (around 1974 and "I've Got My Own Album to Do")

And that Steve Jones was the man responsible for the burglary.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-05-24 16:13 by mofur.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1595
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home