Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Appreciation for the '78 Tour
Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: May 4, 2007 09:59

I've been listening to Garden State '78 the last few days.... for the first time in a couple of years. I remember thinking, when I first got it, that it was sloppy and the playing wasn't very tight.

I even made a post about it on here a while back saying that it wasn't nearly as good as the performances found on Handsome Girls. I think I have to disagree with myself here.

After letting it sit for a couple of years, and re-evaluating it, I think it's probably the definitive bootleg from that tour. That's not counting Handsome Girls, because Garden State '78 is one show, and Handsome Girls, magnificent as it is, is not just one show, but a four disc set.

So how bout some opinions. Favorite bootleg from this tour? Favorite performance?

Re: Appreciation for the '78 Tour
Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: May 4, 2007 10:14

Tumblin_Dice_07 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I remember thinking, when I first got it,
> that it was sloppy and the playing wasn't very
> tight.

I did spent two nigths outside the Big A (yes without a shower) to be front row so I think I was a bit sloppy too....

Posted by: jjsteve ()
Date: May 4, 2007 11:31

their best tour!! spontaneous, loud guitars, great playing... ronnie's best tour. philly was awesome show, buffalo, and chicago.

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: May 4, 2007 12:55

My favourite is the 'shoes' show from Anaheim on 24th July.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 4, 2007 13:01

Tumblin_Dice_07 Wrote:
> I even made a post about it on here a while back
> saying that it wasn't nearly as good as the
> performances found on Handsome Girls. I think I
> have to disagree with myself here.
> just one show, but a four disc set.

Yes I remember that post. I dig Passaic it's such a cool atmosphere, but if I had to pick between that one and Handsome Girls...I'd go for Handsome Girls - luckily I can keep both

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: May 4, 2007 13:27

I have the Handsome Girls set, and I love it, but never felt the desire to own any other boot from this tour. Why? Because without Mick Taylor, among other factors, it doesn't have the same musical variation and unpredictability. Or have I only failed to understand what it's all about?

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 4, 2007 13:32

It just sounds great. Loud guitars and lots of attitude.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: May 4, 2007 14:08

LieB Wrote:
> I have the Handsome Girls set, and I love it, but
> never felt the desire to own any other boot from
> this tour. Why? Because without Mick Taylor, among
> other factors, it doesn't have the same musical
> variation and unpredictability. Or have I only
> failed to understand what it's all about?

Sorry, but I'll have to answer YES to your question

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-05-04 14:11 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: R ()
Date: May 4, 2007 14:15

It was the best of tours. It was the worst of tours.

Don't get me started on Cleveland....

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: May 4, 2007 14:43

Yeah, someone on this board described the '78 tour as roller coaster ride. Think that pretty much sums this tour up

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: May 4, 2007 14:49

Shattered on the Handsome Girls disks is one of the best live versions IMO.

Posted by: ddurando150 ()
Date: May 4, 2007 14:53

i would have to say being from the garden state myself
that garden state 78 is the boot to listen and buy because it is a concert not a cut up boot like the rest are.
also being able to see the show makes it more special

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 4, 2007 14:58

Fully Appreciate...
So where's the slot so a punk can punch his vote....?

ROCKMAN

Posted by: adm ()
Date: May 4, 2007 19:51

Some Girls and 1978 American Tour are what made me love the Stones Then
and still to this day. I was only 14! But collecting all the magazines
and photos from that tour i still do today.
I listen to Some Girls about onnce a month. Still read that ROlling Stone
INterview with Mick in suit on cover!
I often wonder what it is about that 78 tour! I've read its the worst
Mick ever dressed, but I think he looked awesome!
This Tour is stll the catalyst for loving the Stones! I don't think
they have ever toped it in terms of excitement and pure joy of
playing live to an audience. Would not think that after so many tours since
then. But it still amazes me when I see on You Tube those performances
in Memphis or wherever it was. I still get a kick out of seeing new
old pictures from this tour. I suppose you can call it an 78 obsession.
So I could go on and on about this tour, but i will not bore you anymore.
From this tour I have collected everything since then such as
about 300 magazines, 100 hard cover books, and 100 tshirts and 40 posters!
My room is full of Stones!
Thats what 1978 Rolling Stones did to me.

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: May 4, 2007 20:32

Elmo Lewis Wrote:
> It just sounds great. Loud guitars and lots of
> attitude.

> Carla: Otis, you from the Georgia woods.
> Otis: That's good!

That fits - I mean the Carla-Otis thing!

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: May 4, 2007 21:04

The 78 tour is swell. It has a great set list. It looks good on paper, and more importatnly sounds good. The mix of chuck berry stuff, some girls materiel, love in vain and the warhorses. the stuff ive heard , handsome girls and passiac is really fun to listen to from start to finish.

The loud gitaurs are good and Stu and Mac add a really nice touch to their sound on that tour.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-05-04 21:05 by ryanpow.

Posted by: tjkeef ()
Date: May 4, 2007 21:19

JAGGER Was all over the stage KEITH and RONNIE were juiced up and sloppy CHARLIE AND BILL kept things together It was punk infront of 55,000 people. It was also pretty cool that I counted 13 girls with their tops off!

Posted by: drake ()
Date: May 4, 2007 21:26

I remember when my dad gave me his 8track collection when I was in 4th grade. I had never heard Sucking In The 70s and it looked like a fun listen for doing homework after school. So I threw it in the deck. A little while goes by and suddenly I heard this amazing noise coming out of the speakers. I stopped whatever homework I was doing and ran over to the 8track and immediately turned it up as loud as I could without distorting the speakers and sat down on the ground in the sweet spot of my room. Blew my mind.

For the next several years I had wondered where that version was from! And I knew if I were to ever get hold of a copy of that show that the rest of the songs would most definitely have that same intensity and fun vibe. I can still remember how overjoyed I was when at age 18 someone I met on this board hooked me up with a copy of Handsome Girls. W00t!

Handsome Girls is the greatest Rolling Stones bootleg of all time. Whenever someone asks me why I dig the Stones I just play them anything from that set. The raw energy they put out is just unreal... and the sound on Handsome Girls... unparalleled. When I mix bands I do my best to emulate that style of mixing. Everything is perfectly balanced.

-Drake

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 4, 2007 21:29

Thanks, Green.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: farawayeyes2 ()
Date: May 4, 2007 21:39

78 tour has always been the tour that most fascinates me..and still don't know why!

i think i'm not the only one with this feeling..think it has something special..

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: May 4, 2007 21:45

farawayeyes2 Wrote:
> 78 tour has always been the tour that most
> fascinates me..and still don't know why!
>
> i think i'm not the only one with this
> feeling..think it has something special..

Im totallly with you on that.

Posted by: bigbang ()
Date: May 4, 2007 21:55

Well, it was my first Stones tour, and I was at the "shoes show" in Anaheim, which always makes it cool when that comes up.... But, I have to be honest, I was disappointed by the show. Part of it could have been sitting in the heat, too stoned and the fact that it was a daytime show, but I also felt the performance was rushed and half-hearted. But that didn't make me stop loving them. I have to admit, though, I've liked every subsequent tour more than the 78 one. Just my experience....

And the queen is bravely shouting,
"What the hell is going on?"

Date: May 4, 2007 21:56

There's always some people who hate the 75 tour or the 78 tour, which is hard for me to understand as their 2 of their absolute best tours

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: May 4, 2007 22:25

A very urgent '''fuc the audience who wants war horses tour...and if we give them a few we do punk versions''its the tour i play the most....and that LIV version from anaheim is the best i ever heard...my god they was down and out!Beast of Burden never sounded so desperate after this tour....And what a great heartbreaking song Miss you really was!! Can you see it before you they did ''Lies ''Every night that so brave i think..no it is brave!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-05-04 22:43 by rooster.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: May 4, 2007 22:35

I love Handsome Girls, it's classic, cathartic rock n roll with the best (stripped down) lineup in terms of Stone-in-laws (Ians McLagan & Stewart), Keith & Ron a true team, Mick involved and having fun, Bill & Charlie the best riddim section in the world. I think it beats the '75 tour, my first, in every way - Wood is integrated, and Mick especially doesn't sound so affected and confused or bored. The style they achieved on SG, ER (especially) and much else through Dirty Work was a different 2 guitar relationship than with MT, when Keith focused so much on rhythm (and classic riffs) as MT played bluesy, baroque, sometimes lyrical and beautiful solos. KR/RW state a riff (often Jagger's, post SG), but the riffs don't dominate - they "improvise" (not quite, but relatively) more, play off the beat, syncopate, engage in dialogue ("Down In The Hole" comes to mind)....That seemed to get reigned in on the too-canned '89 tour.
The '78 tour was the only one since Wood joined that I missed, and other boots and reports suggest they were somewhat uneven. But at their best it was awesome

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: May 4, 2007 22:44

Even the bad shows was sooo goood!!!

Posted by: Steven ()
Date: May 4, 2007 22:58

The bootlegs are great, and in hindsight it was a great tour, but at the time it was a bit diappointing compared to the 75 tour because of the setlist and outdoor staging compared to the 75 indoor lotus stage.

72 and 75 were in a league of their own by a long shot. 75 was my favorite because of the longer and better setlist, spectacle and staging, and rnr decadance.

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: May 4, 2007 23:40

Steven Wrote:
> The bootlegs are great, and in hindsight it was a
> great tour, but at the time it was a bit
> diappointing compared to the 75 tour because of
> the setlist and outdoor staging compared to the 75
> indoor lotus stage.
>
> 72 and 75 were in a league of their own by a long
> shot. 75 was my favorite because of the longer
> and better setlist, spectacle and staging, and rnr
> decadance.

Yes, finally. I love the 78 tour when it comes to photos, Keith and some of the songs, SNL etc. But, 1975 is superior. And 1972-73.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: May 4, 2007 23:49

I don't get it that Jagger can not see that the 78 tour was everything the band ever was/is,and should be about. It was perfect. The look, the music, the overall vibe. It was big. it was small, it was good for the fans, for the critics. The music was tops, new music. They had the attitude of "We are the @#$%& Stones!" It was the kind of attitude they couod have kept on for good. The glam and 75 vibe would not have worked because you get older, much of the music was part of a fad. But in 78 they had basically retuirned to their roots, which is R&B. And Jagger's look was tongue in cheek; camp. He does it better than anyone else.
I keep coming back to the thought that the really cool music is still there, but tyey keep releasing the safe cleaned up stuff.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 5, 2007 00:02

And Jagger's look was tongue in cheek; camp.

He does it better than anyone else.

YEAH CHELSEA....Ya can graffiti that on the walls of life...

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1705
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home