Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Gimme Shelter...or not
Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: May 3, 2007 05:23

Now that rs.com has updated their Virtual Ticket site, I watched the video of Gimme Shelter that they performed last fall. It's one of my favourite Stones songs, and one of two Songs That Can't Be Played Too Loud, but... is it just me, or is the original version with Merry Clayton so strong that no other version comes close? I used to think that I would love to hear it live... now I think it would just never be as good. Sometimes I think that Merry Clayton actually makes the song. (And is it true that she called Mick a "skinny little boy" at the recording session, and re-negotiated her fee after the first verse was recorded? If so ... you go, girl!)
Thoughts? Comments? Hoots of scorn and derision?

Re: Gimme Shelter...or not
Posted by: midrambler ()
Date: May 3, 2007 05:46

I love Paradiso 95 version AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: john r ()
Date: May 3, 2007 05:53

I love the Keith Richards version on the '93 ep "Eileen", and the Stripped ot used on singles in '96 & '98, and the one from Altamont (the way its placed at the end of the film, as the crowd is coming in to the festival, again) is perfect...Lots of great versions. The original LIB studio take is perfect, of course

Posted by: Raoul Duke ()
Date: May 3, 2007 06:03

In 1998, it was definitely the highlight of every show I saw. Not so much in 2006 at the Boston Garden. If rehearsed appropriately, it is one of the best-sounding live songs the Stones have in their catalog. If it is dusted off occasionally as it was during the last tour, it sounds mediocre at best.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: May 3, 2007 06:15

I think the Merry Clayton version is the ultimate, I just heard it driving home actually and it knocks me on my ass every time.

I do still really enjoy some of the versions without her vocals. Lisa Fischer's vocals on this just never hit me the same way. I can appreciate her vocal talent, but it doesn't have the same feel unfortunately.

That being said - being at a RS concert and hearing those first few notes is an experience in itself not to be missed.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: May 3, 2007 06:21

I think Gimmie Shelter should get put in the rotation as a regular warhorse. This one of the calssic Stones songs I do not tire of.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: COUSINLOU ()
Date: May 3, 2007 06:47

Agreed. It should be a staple at every show.

Posted by: jomo297 ()
Date: May 3, 2007 07:29

I always like to hear that one.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 3, 2007 10:21

Me too. But it wasn't as good last year as on other recent outings.
I suppose it's like a lot of the other classics...sometimes the latest arrangement really hits the spot and sometimes it doesn't quite work.
Same thing's happened with various other songs from one tour to the next.
I'd really love to see them go back to a guitar driven SFTD more than anything.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: May 3, 2007 10:23

much missed on last years Euro- leg of the tour.

I very much hope its a setlist regular, this summer!

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: May 3, 2007 10:39

They havent done this good since 1975. It's a dark song. Best versions are of course the studio and the '72 and some of the 73 shows.

Posted by: jomo297 ()
Date: May 3, 2007 10:54

True, the version I saw at the LA Forum show last year was not the greatest version ever, but it was still good. I think when you are at the shows you think they sound better than they really are. I'm fine with this and that's why I welcome them busting it out at the 3rd London show. I don't like the arrangement of Under My Thumb and Let's Spend The Night Together on this tour as opposed to the '81 versions, but in the moment, at the shows, I still enjoy them.

Posted by: stillife ()
Date: May 3, 2007 12:09

This studio version is only comparable with the live one in 72/73. The Mick Taylor solo is hauting.

Date: May 3, 2007 14:58

YEs, that's true but the intro in 1975 was terrific.

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: May 3, 2007 15:27

midrambler Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I love Paradiso 95 version AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

For those who havenĀ“t seen it.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 3, 2007 15:32

My favourite live versions of Gimme Shelter:
London 09/09 1973 and Fort Collins 1975
but the official Paradiso 1995 take is also terrific, it sure is

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: May 3, 2007 15:37

Gimme Shelter was amazing in Stockholm 1998.
Maybe the highlight of the show.

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: May 3, 2007 15:46

I prefer the studio version to any live version they've ever done. Everything is just perfect. Sound of the guitars, Charlie's drumming, the intro, Keith's solo and Merry Clayton's singing.

There is actually a story about Merry's powerfull singing caused her miscarriage.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-05-03 15:52 by Sohoe.

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: May 3, 2007 16:11

Agreed, Mono Studio is the best....Best live is from Altamont...

JR

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: May 3, 2007 16:14

I myself prefer Lisa's version - her pipes are INCREDIBLE - though I must admit on this tour it didn't seem to have the same pizazz as past tours - 1997, No Security.

But that Stripped version, my God...........gives me goose bumps EVERY time!!

Posted by: sluissie ()
Date: May 3, 2007 18:17

The paradiso version on Youtube seems to be slower... Is it the recording? Or was it played a bit slower than like for example on No Security?

Jelle

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: May 3, 2007 20:34

It was played the way it should be played, groovy and sexy. The problem is that they play it too fast most of the time.
Come to think of it, when I first saw them 1982 they played almost every song too fast, as if they were in a hurry.

Date: May 3, 2007 23:09

Svartmer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It was played the way it should be played, groovy
> and sexy. The problem is that they play it too
> fast most of the time.
> Come to think of it, when I first saw them 1982
> they played almost every song too fast, as if they
> were in a hurry.

Yeah but that worked fine with songs like She's so cold, Little T%A and Brown Sugar. Besides GS should be fast live, I mean fast like in 1972-73. The groovy spooky version of 1975 is great.

Posted by: dougie ()
Date: May 4, 2007 01:23

I play it everyday. My brother passed away a little over two years ago; he was also my best friend. It is my memorial song to him. Each time I play it I say "I miss you bro (or Ron)!" during Keiths opening riff.

My brother was 5 years older than me and he used to drag me to concerts starting at 12; and yes, that included the stones many times. I am putting it on right now.

Posted by: voodoocat ()
Date: May 4, 2007 03:17

I really think GS is the BEST stones song ever recorded and played live. The moody guitar intro, the vocals, drumming- everthing. the Altamont version is perfect (very short but so powerful). It's also perfect with MT in 72-73. It's also the highlight of the stones set for the last ten years when Mick and Lisa challenge each other on vocals.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1760
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home