Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Midnight Rambler
Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: April 27, 2007 15:02

Ahhhhh.........my favorite song LOL So listen, I received in the mail yday a whole bunch of the going out of print ABKCO re-releases (the British ones are cheaper than the Japanese ones for some reason BTW), and the 1st one I opened was Ya-Ya's to give it another chance. And you know...I was very much impressed - I still like Flashpoint and Stripped better, but I would put Ya-Ya's 3rd.

So my question revolves around this wretched song.....does anyone know the history of it? Did Taylor have any hand in writing it? Listening to it live there in the SACD format, it sounds completely different from the studio original, or any time I've seen it live. I actually found myself bopping along to it a little as MT blistered thru it (Now, Gaz, that is not to say that I, at long last, finally like the song LOL). So what's the deal? Did MT play a part in it??

Re: Midnight Rambler
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: April 27, 2007 15:28

no.
here are a few notes to start with: [www.timeisonourside.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-04-27 15:29 by with sssoul.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: April 27, 2007 15:54

Voodoo, I m confused: do yu like the Rambler or not?
The Ya-Ya's version is one of the hottest 8.32 minutes ever recorded in Rock - period. There are those who call this the absolute crown of Rock';n roll. I think it is close. I am not sure if I prefer yaYas to Brussels. I think I do.
Is there a version from 75/76 with Ronnie that rivals the wild 73 versions?

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Date: April 27, 2007 16:05

Thanks Sssoul - it just sounds completely different on Ya-Ya's.....with MT playin on it.

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: April 27, 2007 17:26

NOTHING compares to that version from Brussels!!!!!!!!

Keith's "smokin" rhythm strokes here are at a tempo that I've never heard
before, and the "band" was hitting on all cyclinders!!!! what a machine!!

God I hope there is "Video" of this number in the vaults!!

MLC

Date: April 27, 2007 17:43

Brussels' "Rambler" is ferocious. No doubt. Charlie is AMAZING! The way he whips the guitarrists back into lightning speed. Charlie Watts is probably the only person in the world who can knock Keith from 4th gear back into overdrive.
The Ya-Ya's version is slower. I don't know though if I can even say
'slower'. The groove is so tight. One thing that gets me about the YYversion is that all five are just as perfect as can be. Every player adds to the overall power. Bill is as good as I have ever heard him. His insane rolling chugs right behind Charlie's 70's noisy PERFECT snaredrum. i do think those two guitars have fused into one locomotive of riff power. One of the few times Taylor shows his chops on rhythm. This is one of the rarely heard assets of the midera Stones: that Taylor was a excellent partner for Keith in the riffing dept. They spent 90% of their time together seperate - one on lead, one on riffs. All over YaYa's and the 70's Euro tour we still get to hear Taylor still playing much rhythm.
jagger is less over the top than in Brussles. he does this bizarre incomprehesible rapping through the harmonica mike; probably even through the harmonica itself. That might even be my favorite part of the Rambler.
So I think YY's Ramb;er might be even better.

Date: April 27, 2007 17:57

ChelseaDrugstore,
Sorry for the confusion.........It's long been known, and I've taken many a lashin on this site, that Rambler is one of my least favorite Stones songs, and in fact each time I hear it live, it seems to climb ever closer to my very least favorite Stones song, but for some reason that version on YaYa's really got to me last night...

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: April 27, 2007 18:08

May I just chip in to say that out of Ya Yas and Brussels, I prefer Ya Yas. However, my favourite version to listen to is in fact Sydney 73.

Date: April 27, 2007 19:25

Voodoo, do you not like all versions? I.e. the song itself? Or do you differ between live and stuydio? Because IMO there's a humongous difference. As much as I love many live renditions, I am pretty bored by the studio version. That is actuallky the main reason I would not put LIB at the top of Stonealbums.
Have heard the studio version called sinister in it's slowness and Jagger's vocal.To be honest it strikes me as a little boring. I don't think Keith did that great on guitar. Now here is a song that I can imagine Brian coming in on slide and taking care of some business.
I don't even know what identity MR would have taken on, had they never turned it into the beast it was to become on stage. Could it have ended up on the curio page woth "Goin Home"?

Posted by: voodoocat ()
Date: April 27, 2007 21:34

Chelsea – I know what you mean about the studio version. Once you’ve heard MR live, then the studio version doesn’t do it for me anymore. I like the dark guitars sound and Mick’s harmonica on the studio but the power of MR comes from Keith and Charlie’s tempo changes, MT blues guitar and Mick’s theatrical presence. I remember reading the interview about Mick and Keith writing MR in a café in Italy and thinking that was so incongruous. I think the slow blues part in the middle and the overall mood came out of Still a Fool from Olympic Studios sessions.

Posted by: forligan ()
Date: April 28, 2007 00:00

Both the studio and ya ya's are amazing in their own way. But I was listening to ya ya's last night on way home from work, it 's just @#$%& the best live rocknroll ever recoreded , IMHO.
When I have the house to myself I crank it and play along on my tele,,,,oowww!!
Ya hoid about da bouston!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Date: April 28, 2007 00:40

And then that chick HOWLs after the first BAM!
"Well you hear about the Boston..BAM...yeaauwww!"

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: April 28, 2007 00:49

Rambler is as close to the core of the Rolling Stones as we´ll ever get.
This is the band at their rawest, most barebone self. There will never be anything like it. Rambler to me is what I long for at every gig. I´m happy that they are still able to pull it of decently at their gigs nowadays. You should have seen Micks faceexpression when Keith just wanted to carry on with the song in Bergen. Priceless. That proves that there is still room for jamming.
My favorite song by the boys, it has everything.

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2570
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home