Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Brian Wilson's tribute to the Stones: "Marcella"
Posted by: Justin ()
Date: May 31, 2012 19:46

Jah Paul
One of the coolest moments was when Brian was introducing "California Saga: California" and said, "I'm just going to sing the first line like I did on the record, then everybody else will do the rest." And boy did he sing that first line ( "On my way to sunny Cal-i-forn-I-A" ), clapping in time and everything. Then Al took over the lead vocal and Brian sang backup, clapping and grooving to the music the whole way through.

Nice moment...I'm hoping they still add "California Saga" to the set...they haven't done it yet.

Take a listen to Brian's vocal on "Sail on Sailor" in the video above..."DAMN the thunder!" @ 2:07

Date: May 31, 2012 20:05

Silver Dagger

1. Long Promised Road
2. God Only Knows
3. Here She Comes
4. Wonderful/ Wonderbill

5. Do It Again
6. Sloop John B
7. Wild Honey
8. California Girls
9. Cool, Cool Water
10. Let The Wind Blow
11. Caroline, No
12. Rishikesh
13. Surf´s Up
14. Darlin´
15. Cotton Fields
16. You Need A Mess Of Help To Stand Alone

17. Student Demonstration Time
18. Good Vibrations
19. Help Me, Rhonda
20. I Get Around
21. Fun, Fun, Fun

Sweet Moses.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: May 31, 2012 20:42

If they were doing "You Need A Mess of Help To Stand Alone" on tour, you wonder if they gave Al's mom a break and bought a bass fiddle....

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: May 31, 2012 21:03

I would've liked to hear that lost classic "Don't Worry, Bill"

[www.setlist.fm]

Date: May 31, 2012 21:16

Claire_M
Justin, have you heard in the pre-show music a version of the Zombies "Time of the Season" with Carl Wilson singing lead on the verses & Colin Blunstone's vocal on the chorus? Evidently it's a new mix that someone has done - I suspect Darian Sahanaja; he's worked with the BB's (obviously) and the Zombies. I'm beginning to think it was an elaborate auditory hallucination on my part; no one else seems to know about it! Not even Colin Blunstone.

You know what..that sort of sounds familiar. Another fan at one of the shows pointed it out to me as it played. That's pretty cool to hear a new Carl vocal!

Date: May 31, 2012 21:18

Claire_M
I would've liked to hear that lost classic "Don't Worry, Bill"

[www.setlist.fm]

They just announced a UK date (I'm sure more to come since they have a whole month that's wide open before it) they'll be adding even deeper cuts there. I have a feeling they'll be getting more SMiLE stuff over there. Come on...we Americans can take the highbrow stuff too!

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: May 31, 2012 22:37

Funny you mention this song. This is my all time personal favorite Beach Boys song. Fun, meaningless and rocking. Always loved any incarnation, but the Beach Boys In Concert version is the holy grail for me. Can't tell you how many times I've played that. Just one of those songs that I personally love and always feel I'm the only one (and am damn proud of it). Makes me original.

And yes, Blondie is on both the studio and live In Concert version. Definitely doesn't sing lead but probably provides some backup vocals, and obviously great instrumentation.

Date: June 1, 2012 00:18

RollingFreak
Funny you mention this song. This is my all time personal favorite Beach Boys song. Fun, meaningless and rocking. Always loved any incarnation, but the Beach Boys In Concert version is the holy grail for me. Can't tell you how many times I've played that. Just one of those songs that I personally love and always feel I'm the only one (and am damn proud of it). Makes me original.

And yes, Blondie is on both the studio and live In Concert version. Definitely doesn't sing lead but probably provides some backup vocals, and obviously great instrumentation.

Good to hear it's a well loved tune!

Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: June 1, 2012 13:28

Here is a Beach Boys concert from this tour that aired on Sirius. Only 12 songs. I hope later this year there is a live album and dvd from this tour!

[www.guitars101.com]

Track List:

01 - Pre-Concert Interview With Jim Ladd
02 - Band Introduction By John Stamos
03 - Do It Again
04 - Surfin' Safari
05 - Catch A Wave
06 - Surfin' USA
07 - Surfer Girl
08 - Little Deuce Coupe
09 - 409
10 - Shut Down
11 - I Get Around
12 - That's Why God Made The Radio
13 - Good Vibrations
14 - California Girls

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-01 13:30 by JohnnyBGoode.

Date: June 1, 2012 13:30

I like what I am hearing from the new album!

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: June 1, 2012 14:09

Now I know why I always liked this song although no BB's fan.
Marcella and Hollands Sail on Sailor. Good period for the Beach Boys. Wasn't our Blondie on both?

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: June 1, 2012 18:24

JohnnyBGoode
I like what I am hearing from the new album!

Is it out now?! I like the single; written by a cat from Survivor (and the Ides of March, if you go back that far)

Date: June 1, 2012 18:37

A few early copies have been released and it seems a few people have put them up for download...a quick Google search will bring it up.

Date: June 1, 2012 18:48

I ordered the vinyl package, but it won't ship until the end of July! I saw the light up Smile Sessions box set at my local record store for 60 bucks. I have it on vinyl. I may have to go back and get the box set!

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: June 2, 2012 02:24

CousinC
Now I know why I always liked this song although no BB's fan.
Marcella and Hollands Sail on Sailor. Good period for the Beach Boys. Wasn't our Blondie on both?

Yes, Blondie's on both - he sings backup on Marcella and the lead on Sail On Sailor.

OT - Run James Run - Brian Wilson's New Song
Posted by: Ross ()
Date: September 26, 2017 15:48

Ok I am a bit obsessed with this guy, but Brian Wilson's new song is amazing. Right back to 1965! I know there are a few "Brianistas" on this board, what do you think?

[www.youtube.com]

Re: OT - Run James Run - Brian Wilson's New Song
Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 26, 2017 16:27

I like it , this new song has all the ingredients of classic Beach Boys songs , great hook,lyrics and harmonies which in my book equals a classic hit .

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 26, 2017 16:42

Wasn't "Run James Run" the original name for the song "Pet Sounds"?

Brian envisioned it as a Bond theme.

Date: September 26, 2017 16:43

BTW, I find Brian's (and Dennis') story equally as interesting as Keith - albeit in a different way.

Date: September 26, 2017 17:31

Elmo Lewis
Wasn't "Run James Run" the original name for the song "Pet Sounds"?

Brian envisioned it as a Bond theme.

Yes! When I saw that title listed on Brian's new anthology album I thought it was going to just be a new recording of Pet Sounds. What a great surprise!

Date: September 26, 2017 19:56

Yes, Brian can still conjure up a good one from time to time. Several good ones on Pier Pressure. His voice isn't what it once was, but whose is (what Brian 1966 was)?

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: September 26, 2017 20:08

Love it!

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 27, 2017 01:32

Great tune..........for the 60's.........not sure this song would stand out as a new song in the 17's.............

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: September 27, 2017 01:48

How wonderful; doesn't, in truth, really have that 'voice' anymore but how cool; how beautiful; what a great song! nice production and all that; very cool Brian!!

Verse slams when he comes back into it; refreshing; really cool; of course with this style; for a sec you tend to miss, at least I do, Carl; it sounds sorta like Al but I don't think it's him? Mike not really needed; ver nice job; love that lead guitar; the pumping bass; like Brian knows his way around a studio; just lovely;

i've listened to the studio talk and playbacks from sessions when he was in charge; especially early on after a few hits, with Murray still in the studio talking shit and giving HIM dismissive shit; taunting him for even those big hits and such; Brian went through so much battering even after the physical stuff was done; total Michael Jackson abuse terror torry is fair to say; Dennis still infamous but dediacatedly loved here where he roamed and breathed last; pretty pubically too, locals know by the score...tho we fade as time marches on, as they have faded.
Heroes and Villains.
Brian rises with the dawn right here close to the beach every day; the last man standing; still thrilling crowds all over the world; whooda thunk? he needed a staff of assistants to successfully drool, and that for years. Wonderful Brian; keep em coming. !! Miss you Dennis. Miss you Carl. God Only Knows.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-27 01:49 by hopkins.

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: September 27, 2017 05:50

Sounds like the Wondermints!

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: September 27, 2017 13:45

Nice Comments, Hopkins. I take it you're in LA? What do people there remember about Denny? Got me intrigued!

Also, I love this tune too - so poppy and bright, but with a little sadness in that chorus backing 'ooooh oohh oooooh'. Always a little bittersweetness with Brian.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: September 27, 2017 14:04

Wanted to see him at Foxwoods but unfortunately could not make. He certainly is a curiosity and glad to see he has his depression in check. This song has ALL the ingredients it seems.

Date: September 27, 2017 15:34

hopkins
How wonderful; doesn't, in truth, really have that 'voice' anymore but how cool; how beautiful; what a great song! nice production and all that; very cool Brian!!

Verse slams when he comes back into it; refreshing; really cool; of course with this style; for a sec you tend to miss, at least I do, Carl; it sounds sorta like Al but I don't think it's him? Mike not really needed; ver nice job; love that lead guitar; the pumping bass; like Brian knows his way around a studio; just lovely;

i've listened to the studio talk and playbacks from sessions when he was in charge; especially early on after a few hits, with Murray still in the studio talking shit and giving HIM dismissive shit; taunting him for even those big hits and such; Brian went through so much battering even after the physical stuff was done; total Michael Jackson abuse terror torry is fair to say; Dennis still infamous but dediacatedly loved here where he roamed and breathed last; pretty pubically too, locals know by the score...tho we fade as time marches on, as they have faded.
Heroes and Villains.
Brian rises with the dawn right here close to the beach every day; the last man standing; still thrilling crowds all over the world; whooda thunk? he needed a staff of assistants to successfully drool, and that for years. Wonderful Brian; keep em coming. !! Miss you Dennis. Miss you Carl. God Only Knows.

Beautifully said! It seems like Brian and his brothers sometimes get left out of discussions about great rock n roll, but their impact was tremendous and Brian is still brilliant!

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: September 27, 2017 17:02

peoplewitheyes
Nice Comments, Hopkins. I take it you're in LA? What do people there remember about Denny? Got me intrigued!

Also, I love this tune too - so poppy and bright, but with a little sadness in that chorus backing 'ooooh oohh oooooh'. Always a little bittersweetness with Brian.

TY!
sent you an email; don't like to dig the dirt but there has been mounds of it about certain peeps very very close and very very gone; i'm pretty open person if someone has genuine interest takes care not to disrespect those gone...and I like staying real small because truthfully I am real small; actually it's weird but around some long term friends who came to celebrity, you have to actually WORK at it to stay small, no lie.

....some close as family, and family too actually, closer than the beard on my face, have had the burdens and benefits of celebrity; Believe it or not I'm sort of new to social media; I'm so jammed with other things I haven't time for these days...don't want to identify or project too much personally online just yet or ever....but actually after a long time in a neighborhood you gets to be OG if you're still around....entire populations change and legends wax and wane; a lot of blood absorbed by the famous sands in rock and roll valhalla.

Mostly they talk about Jim. The OG's have almost all interated with one or more of them Bboys, as they grew up and then reigned and then slowly receded into tragedy and comebacks...I mean when I first got here from northeast usa they owned the rehearsal studio that they put me into. right near the restauraunt where you know the waitresses, and near the beauty parlor. They all invested here and there and as a corporation; lived worked and were around and etc....from South Bay to Malibtu they were pretty heavy presence a long time; and in some ways will always be....

I was close to a long time personal assistant to Brian during his most challenged, i said MOST challening times; and talked with him when he got back on his feet and was able to start driving himslef again, and going places with personal assistants and friends....so it's more humane and respectful to skip some of that but he was really very ill.

the dennis stuff i wrote you a bit about; for other friends here it's no big secret or james bond stuff; its regular stuff we all go thru with people close to us; nothing more or less than what everybody is probably familiar with; it's just these peeps have big reps and some of them have kids that have to live with the benefits and hurts and etc....don't mean to be oblique or claim some news flash; it's personal stuff that we all have to face with close friends and family nothing spectacular to exploit. ty.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-27 17:20 by hopkins.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: September 27, 2017 17:31

thanks, Hopkinsthumbs up

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2254
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home