Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Which Album Was Your First & Why Did You Get Hooked?
Date: April 25, 2007 16:42

I remember that Roy Carr book too! I don't think I have that one any longer.

Rolled Gold: I bought that LP as an import back in 1977. It remains a favorite though I wish it had come out on CD.

My first image attraction to the Stones was a news photo of Brian exiting a court house in London. This was in 1968. He looked way way way too cool. Even now, all these years and decades later, he remains the height of rock star cool for me.

Posted by: stein ()
Date: April 25, 2007 16:53

I get hooked on " Get off of my cloud" back in 65.
My first and most played album was "Flowers" bought summer of 67.

Posted by: turnersmemo ()
Date: April 25, 2007 17:56

My first album (pre-recorded cassette) was Undercover, which I still think is a great album! Specially liked Undercover Of The Night, Must Be Hell and the video to She Was Hot.

The fist Stones song I' ve ever heard: My friends brother had this great 60's record collection and whenever i was at their house i would here all the great early stones classics. My favorite was Satisfaction, I was hooked straight away. Didn't own it myself until many years later (on the compilation "A Portrait Of")

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-04-26 10:22 by turnersmemo.

Posted by: TooMuchAlcohol ()
Date: April 25, 2007 18:04

The one I get hooked was Tattoo You. It wasn't my first one, I have liked/loved Stones before but at this point I get hooked.

My first Stones album was GHS (also my first album in generally) and I hated it (at first), I got it for birthday present when I turned 12 and I was hoping to get Gary Glitter's Touch Me instead winking smiley

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: April 25, 2007 18:13

always aware of Stones music....really began to listen when Some Girls was released (I was a young teen).....listened to Hot Rocks constantly while playing Atari video games.....a friend gave me Emotional Rescue LP......Start Me Up really got me enthusiastic about the '81 US tour.....saw the movies Gimme Shelter & LSTNT. Got
caught up in the band's history & huge catalogue of material. Bought everything (Stones related) that I could get my hands on. Met a fellow Stones nut that had a huge bootleg collection. It truly was an addiction.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: wee bobby lennox ()
Date: April 25, 2007 22:14

what really got me noticing the stones was around the mid 80,s i had seen them on "the rock and roll years" and there was something about them that appealed to me.

but when i saw "jumpin jack flash" i thought it was something special.

and i had read that they were the greatest rock and roll band in world.

so i bought love you live, could have been anything cos i picked it at random, and after i got rolled gold compilation i was hooked as a stone.

i thought that i only had about a dozen albums for thier entire catologue, but in time i realised i needed a whole lot more.

if anything i love the stones more than i did then, and have seen them twice.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: April 25, 2007 23:08

Can't remember my first it was Bleed or GYYYO, do remember that GYYYO was on my turntable constantly for months and months and months.

But if you talk about hooked it was "Beggers Banguet" but this one was from sister

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: April 25, 2007 23:28

The first album I got was Exile in the fall of 1972, but it was GYYO in the Spring of '73 that really got me. GHS was a huge disappointment to me when it was released, nothing fast or rocky. But it's my favourite (arguably) Stones album now.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: April 25, 2007 23:45

HEILOOBAAS Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The first album I got was Exile in the fall of
> 1972, but it was GYYO in the Spring of '73 that
> really got me. GHS was a huge disappointment to
> me when it was released, nothing fast or rocky.
> But it's my favourite (arguably) Stones album now.

Compare to what they released before Goats Heads Soup, this album for me was also a bit disappointing back then.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: April 26, 2007 01:33

Steel Wheels in 1989, but I got really hooked with a tape of Hot Rocks in early 1990.

Posted by: Fadeout_Freedom ()
Date: April 26, 2007 08:55

Spent my middle-school years in the late 70s resisting peer pressure to join the Kiss Army.

I was 15 in summer of 1980, and was drawn to the radio play of "Emotional Rescue" single, and after "She's So Cold" came out in the fall, I knew I had found my band.

Knew I'd be getting the Emotional Rescue (album) 8-track for Christmas.

In the middle of all this, Lennon was murdered. In the coverage of and reaction to that, it became apparent to me that the Beatles had been a pretty big deal (it baffles me now to think that prior to this, I could probably recite the titles of only a half-dozen Beatles songs).

My dad's Red Album cassette AND Hot Rocks 8-track both disappeared from his room and found homes in my K-Mart stereo.

Have spent the next several months (26+ years) heavily into the Stones and Beatles.

Anyone ever been to BEATLEFEST?

Posted by: millstone ()
Date: April 27, 2007 14:09

My first album was: 'Made in the Shade' on cassette. (you have to strart somewhere)
I was hooked on the Stones long before I bought this cassette, because of my 9 years older brother who was a Stonesfan from the beginning. Songs like 'Get off of my cloud' and '19th Nervous Breakdown I liked a lot. But also songs like 'Complicated','all Sold Out' and 'miss Amanda Jones' did it for me.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: April 27, 2007 14:41

What is a beatlefest?

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: April 27, 2007 15:15

As a 13 yr old mesmerized by MTV in the late 80's, I loved Mixed Emotions and I still wonder why this top 5 hit is omitted from their sets. Know it's hard to play, but they should give it a go. I got the tape of Steel Wheels shortly thereafter and really liked (Almost Hear You Sigh is still one of my all time faves of theirs). My parents hated modern music as most do, and they only listened to the "oldies" channel where I'd hear a bunch of the old stuff like Satisfaction, Ruby, Tell Me, TIOMS, but I never put 2 & 2 together until I got the London Years for Christmas the same year, and realized that the same band sang all those songs. I was nibbling on the bait at that point.......

But what hooked me was Voodoo. I know a lot of people don't like it, but the opening chords of LIS just blew me away, and the deep sound of it - OMG to die for. I completely wore out my tape copy of that album. I regret that at 18 my parents still had say over my concert outtings, which prevented me from going to the one concert tour I wish I'd seen. Voodoo still blows me away each time I spin it.

Posted by: midrambler ()
Date: April 27, 2007 15:55

ChelseaDrugstore Wrote:
> I saw that some guys had LYL as their first and I
> was wondering what on it hooked them. Because it
> could be considered not so strong. If one of us
> were trying to recruit a new Stoner, obviously we
> wouldn't play them a medley of Dirty
> Work/Emotional resuce e.g.
> My first was "Between the Buttons". I was a kid
> and the best thing was the way theyu looked on the
> front cover. I was very intersted. I liked most
> all the songs; especially the melodic ones like
> y"Yesterday's Papers", "Back Street Girl" and
> "Who's been sleeping Here". Lyrics meant nothing
> to me. But I was totally convinced as far as the
> Stones went.
> The biggest thing I did next was to read two
> Stonesbooks. The grey Dalton book; the one with
> the sheetmusic in the back that only goes up to
> Exile. One of the best books on the Stones. And I
> also read an account on Altamont. This was a whole
> book. It was completely mysterious. I was still a
> little kid. No idea where or what Alatamont was.
> That is wher I firts heard all those songtitles. I
> was in love with those ultracool titles. "Little
> Queenie", "Love in Vain", "Jumping Jack Flash". I
> needed to get to know this stuff.
> Got Exile and YaYa's next.

well LYL was my first album and I get hooked with It's Only Rock And Roll. My fav version!!!!!!!!

Posted by: harlito1969 ()
Date: April 27, 2007 16:33

My first Stones was an 8-track of "Sticky Fingers" and I think that explains everything right there.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: April 27, 2007 16:51

I started with a couple of those repackaged and much despised DECCA releases.
They were actually a very good taster for those just getting acquainted...and as such shouldn't be judged too harshly.
Next acquired was the then quite recently released Sticky Fingers, followed by the whole DECCA back catalogue as pocket money allowed.

Exile was the first of the many subsequent albums I bought on the day of release about 30 seconds after the record shop opened it's doors ;^)

[Who remembers that awful sinking feeling on release days when the shop assistant would say "Sorry, it wasn't on the delivery...It'll be in tomorrow " ? AHHHHHHGGGGGH !!

Posted by: monkeyman07 ()
Date: April 27, 2007 19:42

Hot Rocks and Black And Blue

wipeacdc@hotmail.com
never too old or young to rocknroll!!!!!!

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 27, 2007 21:09

It was OUT OF OUR HEADS with that familiar band, christmas 1965, and I was hooked long before by a dozens singles by them...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Tropical_Disease ()
Date: April 27, 2007 21:28

i got 'Let it bleed' one christmas, and realised there was no other sound like the stones!

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: April 28, 2007 10:35

It was the early 60's singles that hooked me. In those days I didn't even own a record player, but I did have an old reel-to-reel tape recorder, and my first Stones songs (recorded on an open microphone from radio or TV) were "The Last Time" and "It's All Over Now". A very primitive version of pirate downloading, I suppose.

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: April 28, 2007 10:58

The tv premiere of the Barcelona 1990 video in Holland got me hooked.

Posted by: hickorywind ()
Date: April 28, 2007 12:18

My first ever album was AFTERMATH and to this day probably my favourite Stones Album.
A wonderful collection of songs , ideas and multi instruments , a great snap shot of London in the swinging sixties.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: April 28, 2007 13:31

That is funny Green Lady. I forgt about that: the very first downloads. LOL With a shitty mike against a radio. Then you had this tape with all kinds of noise, coughing, cars driving by, your mom calling you and you hushing your screaming little brother...

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: April 28, 2007 19:18

My first album was Some Girls, bought after seeing the Stones live for the first time in '78.

I had always liked the Stones stuff I heard on the radio in the '60s & '70s, but was never inclined to buy their records until seeing them live. Now, most of my favorite Stones tunes are ones never heard on the radio.

I've noticed also that on recent tours, I have talked with younger fans that suddenly have a much greater appreciation for the Stones after seeing them live for the first time. Whenever this happens, I am reminded of that day I had in '78.

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: April 28, 2007 19:35

My first album ever was Let it Bleed, I heard it on the Emperor Rosco show on Radio 1 then during the Summer I was in London in a clothes shop in Piccadilly circus and they were playing it very over there PA system at full volume. After that I was hooked on the Stones as I had always been a Beatles fan before.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: April 28, 2007 22:44

ChelseaDrugstore Wrote:
> That is funny Green Lady. I forgt about that: the
> very first downloads. LOL With a shitty mike
> against a radio. Then you had this tape with all
> kinds of noise, coughing, cars driving by, your
> mom calling you and you hushing your screaming
> little brother...

We had a clock that used to strike the hours - that used to get into many many recordings.

Posted by: yeager ()
Date: April 28, 2007 23:39

my first album I bought was - hm - No 2 : The Rolling Stones
and so on til Beggars Banket, Sticky Fingers up to the date.

The first single I bought was "mothers little helper"
at the that times the stones music was all around in the homes of my friends and the pubs and clubs and parking lots.

I remember that I was happy every month or so when a new stones song appeared on the Louxembourg Radio or some pirate radio station out on the north sea, where smoking d-jays were risking their lifes to send the music they wanted in any storm that would appear.

ah - time waits for no one, young brothers and sisters...

"when I travel coast to coast
you' re the hook I miss the most
feel on, baby"

Posted by: clapton71 ()
Date: April 28, 2007 23:47

Mine was Some Girls. I can remember my father playing it when I was 7/8. Shattered is the song that sticks with me the most. Maybe that's why it is my favorite album/song. It's in my car as I write this.

Posted by: yeager ()
Date: April 29, 2007 00:15

I got hooked first by the mix of it all: the melodies, the looks, the rythm, the lyrics,the unspeakable magic of the glimmer twins.
they had that glimmering long before they called themselves "glimmer twins" on the records.

"when I travel coast to coast
you' re the hook I miss the most
feel on, baby"

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1562
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home